Part I: The Central and Superuniverse
Our world, Urantia, registered as a newly inhabited planet, rotates on the fringes of the seventh superuniverse. We are one of a trillion inhabitable planets whose capital flourishes near the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
You are not alone, says Part I of The Urantia Book . The cosmos teems with trillions of inhabited planets, heavenly worlds, and spirit personalities. You are not here by accident. Divine intelligence created the human race for divine purposes.
"The myriads of planetary systems were all made to be eventually inhabited by many different types of intelligent creatures, beings who could know God, receive the divine affection, and love him in return. The universe of universes is the work of God and the dwelling place of his diverse creatures." ~ The Urantia Book (21: 11-14)
You live in a friendly, highly organized, and well-administered universe. You are part of a plan in which the Heavenly Father perfects you for enhanced and exhilarating service. Your life on earth initiates you into an eternal adventure.
" There is in the mind of God a plan which embraces every creature of all his vast domains, and this plan is an eternal purpose of boundless opportunity, unlimited progress, and endless life ... The goal of eternity is ahead! ... certain victory will crown the efforts of every human being who will run the race of faith and trust. ~ The Urantia Book (365:24-27)
This is Part 1, galactic, mind-expanding, and new! Yet its reassuring wisdom echoes deep within our inner being like the oldest truths on earth.
The story of the universe portrayed in The Urantia Book starts with an explanation of the nature and attributes of the Universal Father. Your knowing about God forms the basis of all understanding. God shines forth as a loving and caring personality who relates to every human being as a trustworthy Heavenly Parent. Your closeness to the Creator Father is predicated on your willingness to open your inner life to his guidance and unconditional love. If you are willing, you may be a faith-born child of the Heavenly Father and share his immediate presence.
By the end of Part I you'll learn:
- Who God is, and where God resides
- How the Paradise Father can transform your life
- The nature and role of the spiritual hierarchy (the Trinity, angels, archangels, Ancients of Days)
- Where the universe originates, where it is going, and how you fit into it
- How the universe is organized and administered
- General concepts about life after death
- Why God grants you free will
Part II: The Local Universe
The human species is only one order of God's creation. The universe abounds with angels and many other spirit personalities. There exists a vast spiritual hierarchy living in and administering the universe. The number and diversity of these intelligent spirit personalities stretch beyond our imagination.
Part II describes our local universe of 10 million inhabitable planets. In this section you'll learn about the personalities and events in our local space region that directly affect your future. As our world contains nations, a superuniverse contains local universes. Local universes are the fundamental geographic, administrative, and spiritual building blocks of the heavens. We live in the local universe of Nebadon which is ruled by our Creator Son Michael, known on Earth as Jesus of Nazareth. Nearly two thousand years ago, from the headquarters of Nebadon, this "only begotten" Michael Son left his supreme leadership post to live on Earth as Jesus. He repeatedly told his apostles that he was not of this world and that he had come from the Father.
In Part II you'll discover:
- Who Jesus was before he lived on Earth, where he lives now, and how he affects your life throughout eternity
- How the local universe is administratively and astronomically organized
- The nature and role of celestial personalities, including your guardian angels
- Who Satan and Lucifer are, and what happened in the Lucifer rebellion
- Why earth struggles in confusion
- What human life is like on advanced worlds
- Where you go after you die and what happens following your resurrection
- How you will meet loved ones and friends in the next worlds
- How love and fairness function within the heavens
Part III: The History of Urantia
After reading Part I and Part II of The Urantia Book, reading Part III might make you feel like an astronaut returning to earth from a long space voyage. Part III depicts the history of life on earth since its origin more than four and one-half billion years ago. It traces the story of human existence from the birth of the first two human beings, Andon and Fonta, nearly 993,500 years ago.
Beyond plotting our physical evolution this section describes the development of civilization, industry, government, religion, and family life. The records of human tribulation and progress indicate that we are moving toward a better world.
Here's what you'll learn from Part III:
- A scientific explanation of the origin of our solar system and our world
- The stages of a divinely guided evolutionary process
- The ages of fishes, birds, dinosaurs, and primates
- How and why human life evolved on earth
- The story of the first two human beings
- The triumphs and tragedies of Amadon, Adam and Eve, Abraham, Moses, Van, Lao-tse, Confucius, Ikhnaton, and other heroes of planetary history
- The rise and fall of ancient civilizations
- The bleak years of the Lucifer rebellion
- The evolution of government and the path to world peace
- Principles for successful marriages and good families
- How personal religion brings you lasting happiness
- How the indwelling Spirit of God works to ensure your eternal survival
- How to pray and worship more effectively
- How to overcome evil and suffering
Sin is not hereditary, God is not vengeful, and the "devil" has no power to enter your mind or corrupt your soul. Most evil and suffering comes about accidentally, from mistakes of past generations, or from your own wrong choosing. You have the God-given power to improve your life and make the best of your situation.
Part IV: The Life and Teachings Of Jesus
The religion of Jesus is based on faith, love, and service. His message of eternal life through faith in our Heavenly Father is for all men and women of every nation, race, religion, age, and economic status.
Part IV is an inspiring biography of the life of Jesus. This 775-page narrative spans his life from his birth in Bethlehem to his death in Jerusalem. The authors describe his childhood, his struggles to overcome teenage problems, his travels and adventures, and his fascinating episodes of personal and public ministry.
While The Urantia Book 's presentation of Jesus generally corresponds with the Bible, it stands unique, packed with new information and fresh insights. This detailed portrayal of Jesus emphasizes the religion of Jesus rather than the religion about Jesus. If you love Jesus as portrayed in the Bible, you will gain an even greater admiration and understanding of his life and teachings from Part IV of The Urantia Book.
Jesus was a strong and courageous man. His sincerity, warmth, good cheer, love of people, and devotion to truth are an inspiration for all ages.
"Jesus was the perfectly unified human personality. And today, as in Galilee, he continues to unify mortal experience and to co-ordinate human endeavors. He unifies life, ennobles character, and simplifies experience. He enters the human mind to elevate, transform, and transfigure it. It is literally true: 'If any man has Christ Jesus within him, he is a new creature; old things are passing away; behold, all things are becoming new'." The Urantia Book (1103: 27-31)
Highlights of Part IV include:
- The missing years of Jesus' life
- The premature death of Jesus' father
- Jesus helping to raise his seven brothers and sisters
- Rebecca's proposal of marriage
- Jesus' work as a carpenter, boat builder, scribe, teacher, and caravan conductor
- His journeys to Egypt, Rome, and the Caspian Sea - His life with the apostles
- Stories of the hundreds of people Jesus helped
- Healing the sick
- The dark days preceding the crucifixion
- Jesus' resurrection and appearances
- The power of the Spirit of Truth
- The mysterious nature of the human and divine Jesus.
In the Bible, Jesus is well known for several sermons and parables. In The Urantia Book you will read more than sixty-five parables of Jesus', as well as his life-changing discourses on love, reality, anger, wealth, angels, self-mastery, self-respect, true religion, balanced character, science and philosophy, material success, spiritual freedom, divine forgiveness, tact and charm, temptation, the light of the world, the new commandment, and more.