Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:12 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
For me, some of the information in TUB relating to science and history is powerful intellectual support of its authority. At the time the book was first printed, many things the authors state were either unknown to any scientist or conflict strongly with the understanding of the times. I'd have to say that at least 90% of all scientists, at least publicly, stick to the "party line" or consensus view, regardless of how poorly that consensus view fits reality. Maybe you know the saying "Science advances one funeral at a time"?

When you've come from an extreme Christian fundamentalism background, you tend to become suspicious of religion based facts/evidence. Remember all those pictures of chariot wheels at the bottom of the red sea? (which "proved Moses parted the red sea"). Or how about remnants of Noah's ark? :lol: This again is the paradox for my friend, he wants something tangible, but his prior delusions makes him overly cautious.

For me right now, I'm putting this issue on the shelf. I don't feel there's anything I can do. The illustration of the farmer sowing seeds comes to mind (i.e. don't concern yourself with things out of your control). Apart from lack of success I'd have, and short of being a professional scientist/philosopher, going deeply into this analytical side is making me depressed! Why should I feed my mind upon things that feel insulting and bankrupting to the soul/spirit? Bottom line, I have no obligation to force others by the power of sheer logic, and neither is it beneficial to express my faith towards a skeptic (as much as I care for him).

Guess I've always felt this way, but still needed to voice it and get it off my chest :smile:

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

One of the most important teachings to me is that I am not respinsible for saving souls from damnation and eternal suffering. I had already rejected that superstitious myth of hell from my fundamentalist youth. But the joy and relief of learning the depth of the Divine paternal affection and mercy and patience was so assuring.

Certainly it did not relieve me of my own loyalties and duties and potentials related to my spiritization and perfecting adventure. But the UB certainly reiterates the Jesusonian Gospel of God's love in powerful and rational ways that lets me also believe in the ministry of the seed sower. My responsibility is to live in the Spirit and share those fruits the vine brings forth.

Each must choose their way and each is given ample opportunity to so choose. And God reaches forth and touches all in ways I do not understand but should not limit by my own understanding either. All are given the time and light to find God I think.

PostPosted:  

True! I went from a "soul saving" mission as a Jehovah's Witness to being so excited about having found the UB that I just had to share. It's just a shame when the feeling isn't mutual because you want the same life changing experience for those closest to you.

I've accepted that for my wife too who doesn't accept the UB, it's not something I feel must be forced. Her life experience and discovery is just as valid as a UB students. The hardest emotion is the feeling of isolation, not sharing the same experience. However, it's an adaptive process, all part of the journey and only a drop in the ocean!

PostPosted:  

BrotherP wrote:
True! I went from a "soul saving" mission as a Jehovah's Witness to being so excited about having found the UB that I just had to share. It's just a shame when the feeling isn't mutual because you want the same life changing experience for those closest to you.

I've accepted that for my wife too who doesn't accept the UB, it's not something I feel must be forced. Her life experience and discovery is just as valid as a UB students. The hardest emotion is the feeling of isolation, not sharing the same experience. However, it's an adaptive process, all part of the journey and only a drop in the ocean!

Agreed. God loves the unique experience and expressions of life we each have and share with others! Variety creates rich harmonies and tapestries of truth, beauty, and goodness.

A great lesson and fine example of a marvelous and effective technique was demonstrated by Jesus so many times. Use the symbols and language of other religionists and believers to share the excitement of the religious life and universe reality!! I converse with many Baptists and fellow Bible thumpers in their language and in their scripture because of my own familiarity. The Jesusonian Gospel is smack dab in the middle of the Bible!! It is interesting, to me, to "help" Christians face the conflicts between creedal dogma and the Gospel within the same book.

When Paul and the OT contradicts Jesus what's a Christian to do? Is it an eye for an eye or turn the other cheek? And where did those wives from Nod come from? A bigoted Christian defies the story of the Good Samaritan.

Jesus used that which was held in common to witness and to share the Spirit...we must do the same. We can't allow vocabulary and symbols to interfere with fellowship! We are advised to associate with a wide spectrum of believers and beliefs....for our own benefit. The burden is upon those with a less rigid and narrow perspective to allow for those burdened by such limitations I think.

100:0.1 (1094.1) THE experience of dynamic religious living transforms the mediocre individual into a personality of idealistic power. Religion ministers to the progress of all through fostering the progress of each individual, and the progress of each is augmented through the achievement of all.

100:0.2 (1094.2) Spiritual growth is mutually stimulated by intimate association with other religionists. Love supplies the soil for religious growth—an objective lure in the place of subjective gratification—yet it yields the supreme subjective satisfaction. And religion ennobles the commonplace drudgery of daily living.

8)