Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:54 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Modern Christian writers
PostPosted:  

I am looking for current 19th , 20th and 21 century so called christian writers that reflect the concepts and/or direction of the Urantia Book.
I can not use books that mention the Urantia book as a source in any way ...

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

maybe some of the source books would suit?

Sources of The Urantia Book

PostPosted:  

Makalu,Thanks for your input

Yea the source books link you sent was really interesting..... but they are a little heady for my application ...of which is ...my participation a newly formed religious study at a local church... and at the moment all members are required to add to the suggestion list...and Yes they prescribe to the basic christian doctrines....but I believe are look for a new direction and a different view of Christianity. Maybe they would relate easier to the more contemporary main line and/or popular author's .

PostPosted:  

You also might try the Jesusonian Gospel. Thomas Jefferson was one of many adherents. And also Theistic Evolution with origins from the 19th century or before.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

Also, Jewish scholars have long acknowledged the mythology of the early OT and offer multiple creation stories from antiquity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_mythology

While not religious, Joseph Campbell's worl is most appropriate to such considerations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell

8)

PostPosted:  

i'am getting feedback ...the group is limiting their interest to ........... modern contemporary Christian authors.

PostPosted:  

Have you had the opportunity to read any of Thomas Keating's works?

PostPosted:  

Iam looking at a youtube of Thomas Keating on prayer...I think they could digest this.....Have you read any books of his ..you would suggest...katroofjebus

PostPosted:  

C.S. Lewis might generate interest and discussion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis

PostPosted:  

randall wrote:
Iam looking at a youtube of Thomas Keating on prayer...I think they could digest this.....Have you read any books of his ..you would suggest...katroofjebus

I've read them all a few times and I find them to contain enough truth to be of value. I am not a proponent of his technique of prayer, but I think prayer is so important that any attempt at it is a good place to start.

I just flipped through my books to see which ones had the most annotations, which indicates the parts that clicked in tune with what I've read in the Revelation. The two most heavily annotated books are: Intimacy with God and Fruits of the Spirit.

PostPosted:  

thanks for the input ..everybody...... I could see the insight in keating' s view ....of course it is not at the level of the Urantia book but I think he is moving in the right direction ...and in the course of the study ..... I will throw in concepts i've gotten from the Urantia Book ...

Thanks........ for the reading suggestions......katroofjebus

PostPosted:  

Excellent approach randall. Wishing you success.

PostPosted:  

This could be a bit on the heady side and philosophic, but it involves a perspective that isn't so common in the Western world. Nikolai Berdyaev's Destiny of Man is quite an interesting read.

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Su ... aev/qs.htm

Quote:
Man's fate is a mystery, not to be unraveled within the small section of eternal life which we call man's earthly, empirical life. The destiny of every man is immersed in eternity, and in eternity the deciphering of its meaning is to be sought. Within the limits of our brief life, everything appears accidental, meaningless and unjust. But everything takes on meaning and finds justification in eternity.

Quote:
Man's highest consciousness of himself is not explicable by the world of nature and remains a mystery to that world. ... Man is not only of this world but of another world; not only of necessity, but of freedom; not only out of nature, but from God

Quote:
Spirit is, as it were, the breath of God penetrating man's being and communicating a higher dignity, a higher quality of his existence, inner independence and unity

https://historyengineers.com/2018/05/31 ... -instinct/

Quote:
The knower’s religious faith and religious life are bound to influence his philosophy; he cannot forget them in his cognitive activity. Nor can be forget his scientific knowledge. But the fact of a philosopher having religious faith and scientific knowledge is certainly not a disadvantage; the trouble only begins when religion and science become an external authority for his thought. Both religion and science may enrich philosophical knowledge, but they must not dominate it from without.

Quote:
Christianity knows no abstract moral norms, binding upon all men and at all times. Therefore for a Christian every moral problem demands its own individual solution, and is not to be solved mechanically by applying a norm set once for all.

Quote:
The moral problems of life cannot be solved by an automatic application of universally binding rules. It is impossible to say that in the same circumstances one ought always and everywhere to act in the same way. It is impossible if only because circumstances are never quite the same.

Quote:
The herd-morality, concerned with masses and averages, prevents the upward flight of the soul and adapts everything to its own purposes– love, mystical experience, and creativeness. It allows only the universally binding, the average, the conventional.

PostPosted:  

Ricktare,
Nikolai is a bit heavy for these people.....but its a interesting read

Thanks for the input