Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:18 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Humor in the UB
PostPosted:  

There is a wide range of feelings and reactions one gets when reading the Urantia Book. The one I least expected though was to laugh.

This line made me laugh:

Quote:
44:1:10 (500.1) Your ensembles of dancing undoubtedly represent a crude and grotesque attempt of material creatures to approach the celestial harmony of being placement and personality arrangement.

Although there is a serious point to be made, this reminds me of "you can't dance" jokes. One Youtuber once said "I used to have a girlfriend. Then she saw my dancing..."

If you had any other laughs, do let me know.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Humor in the UB
PostPosted:  

I find humor in myself when I contemplate the teachings. My animal fears, my spiritual arrogance, my petty resentments: all in the face of a limitless future of perfection attainment. How little these things are, these things which take up so much of my precious time here on this amazing yet so messed up planet. If I could only free myself from the petty, I would have so much more time for the wonderful. Yet I have to laugh when I think of this, laugh, so I don't cry.

PostPosted:  

I've always gotten a laugh out of Jesus' nickname for the Zebedee brothers, "sons of thunder". He called them that because of their overzealous displays of so-called righteous indignation which were actually temper tantrums, emotional outbursts of intolerance. The Master had a kind way of illuminating the foolishness of evil, and that actually makes one smile at the silliness of it all.

(1553.1) 139:3.5 It was these “sons of thunder” who wanted to call fire down from heaven to destroy the Samaritans who presumed to show disrespect for their Master.

(1552.6) 139:3.2 This able apostle was a temperamental contradiction; he seemed really to possess two natures, both of which were actuated by strong feelings. He was particularly vehement when his indignation was once fully aroused. He had a fiery temper when once it was adequately provoked, and when the storm was over, he was always wont to justify and excuse his anger under the pretense that it was wholly a manifestation of righteous indignation. Except for these periodic upheavals of wrath, James’s personality was much like that of Andrew.

(1955.5) 181:2.4 “Once we called you and your brother sons of thunder. You started out with us strong-minded and intolerant, but you have changed much since you wanted me to call fire down upon the heads of ignorant and thoughtless unbelievers. And you must change yet more. You should become the apostle of the new commandment which I have this night given you. Dedicate your life to teaching your brethren how to love one another, even as I have loved you.”

PostPosted:  

I found this line very funny:

Quote:
70:1.3 (783.6) Andon taught his children to settle disputes by each beating a tree with a stick, meanwhile cursing the tree; the one whose stick broke first was the victor. The later Andonites used to settle disputes by holding a public show at which the disputants made fun of and ridiculed each other, while the audience decided the winner by its applause.

These days we call that a "rap battle"! Also there was a mother insulting contest I saw on TV once called (and forgive the immaturity here) "Yo Momma".

PostPosted:  

alwilliams767 wrote:
I have to laugh when I think of this, laugh, so I don't cry.

Why better to laugh than to cry? Don't people chuckle sometimes, even though they realise that a joke is sometimes cruel and unfunny? They chuckle, then they admit how they have done the same exact sin. It is better to cry now, so that you can laugh about it later. Humor is not found in witty observations or delightful mannerisms, but in the way it makes people think about a novel concept, whether the novel concept is new or old.

PostPosted:  

William S. wrote:
There is a wide range of feelings and reactions one gets when reading the Urantia Book. The one I least expected though was to laugh.

This line made me laugh:

Quote:
44:1:10 (500.1) Your ensembles of dancing undoubtedly represent a crude and grotesque attempt of material creatures to approach the celestial harmony of being placement and personality arrangement.

Although there is a serious point to be made, this reminds me of "you can't dance" jokes. One Youtuber once said "I used to have a girlfriend. Then she saw my dancing..."

If you had any other laughs, do let me know.

Here in Scotland we have a solution to this lack of dance ability, comes in really handy at weddings - it's the Ceilidh!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62sim5knB-s

So much fun because it's not about showing off skill but rather being energetic, daft and breaking the ice with people you don't know :lol:

PostPosted:  

44:1:10 Your ensembles of dancing undoubtedly represent a crude and grotesque attempt...

No really, just say what you think, stop beating around the bush :wink:

What makes me laugh about some of the UB authors writing style is the extremely logical / matter of fact / left brain manner, similar to Spock from star trek! It's like a man who's newly married and doesn't quite know female etiquette (haha)

"No! You can't say THAT to an earthling!"

48:4.13 You of Urantia have allowed much that is at once vulgar and unkind to become confused with your humor

Gee thanks, talk about totally destroying the whole of the British sense of humour

PostPosted:  

(47:1.6) No ascending mortal can escape the experience of rearing children

Darn it!

PostPosted:  

Hi, I think this is funny

Quote:
63:7.3 (717.4) Andon and Fonta, shortly after their arrival on Jerusem, received permission from the System Sovereign to return to the first mansion world to serve with the morontia personalities who welcome the pilgrims of time from Urantia to the heavenly spheres. And they have been assigned indefinitely to this service. They sought to send greetings to Urantia in connection with these revelations, but this request was wisely denied them.

I would like to send them greetings too :biggrin:

PostPosted:  

pachorr wrote:
Hi, I think this is funny

Quote:
63:7.3 (717.4) Andon and Fonta, shortly after their arrival on Jerusem, received permission from the System Sovereign to return to the first mansion world to serve with the morontia personalities who welcome the pilgrims of time from Urantia to the heavenly spheres. And they have been assigned indefinitely to this service. They sought to send greetings to Urantia in connection with these revelations, but this request was wisely denied them.

I would like to send them greetings too :biggrin:

That's my fave funny, pachorr. Been studying the Melchizedek Paper, this brot a smile, just the phrasing, and the circum-stances. Maybe it's a male thing:

...Most of the Salem believers had practiced circumcision, though it had never been made obligatory by Melchizedek. Now Abraham had always so opposed circumcision that on this occasion he decided to solemnize the event by formally accepting this rite in token of the ratification of the Salem covenant.

It was following this real and public surrender of his personal ambitions in behalf of the larger plans of Melchizedek that the three celestial beings appeared to him on the plains of Mamre. 93:6.7 (1021.3)

PostPosted:  

I wouldn't expect anything less than a visit from 3 angels if I was going to chop off a delicate piece of me :badgrin:

PostPosted:  

BrotherP wrote:
I wouldn't expect anything less than a visit from 3 angels if I was going to chop off a delicate piece of me :badgrin:

Har! :lol: But it does bring a side question: What was that visit about? Probably should have its own thread.

PostPosted:  

rick warren wrote:
BrotherP wrote:

Har! :lol: But it does bring a side question: What was that visit about? Probably should have its own thread.

Yeah interesting! Seems a little excessive to send angels to dispense antiseptic cream lol