Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:27 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I searched for key words on the UB website, but the results are not giving me what I'm looking for. Does the UB have prohibitions on drinking, smoking or any mind altering drugs?

The word alcohol only appears once in reference to "spirits". The word wine appears several times but only refers to its use in ceremonies. The word drunk appears a few times but it's not referring to being intoxicated. There were 2 mentions of the word drugs but only in a matter-of-fact manner discussing the evolution of religion. The word smoking appears 3 times but not in reference to tobacco or cannabis. Nothing references to cocaine, tobacco, cannabis, heroin or ecstasy.

Many religions make a point of not using mind altering substances. The LDS go as far as prohibiting caffeine. I understand that the UB is not a law book, but it is a book to help in living a spiritual life so I would hope for some kind of gentle or subtle advice and guidance.

Would the UB for instance encourage or prohibit the use of mind altering drugs to reach a higher state of spiritual consciousness? I'm sure there is no prohibition on medicinal drugs. Crystallized sugar is in fact a legal drug! I think you will point to references to healthy living, but what is considered healthy is the call of the individual. Some cocaine snorters live perfectly normal lives for instance. For the record, please DON'T use drugs.

I have never consumed illegal drugs. I have never smoked. But I have on occasion gotten drunk. On two occasions goaded by my brother, I once ate cannabis laced muffins and the other time took hallucinogenic mushrooms both in the Netherlands where they are legal. I'll tell you from experience that they were NOT fun to use! It is for these reasons I want to know if the UB has an answer to that.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hi William,

There may be no direct answer on that in TUB. Alcohol would seem to dull the hyper refined senses that are needed for adjuster contact. On the other hand, sometimes we all need some change in our environment that might help trigger a change in outlook, perspective or attitude as an antidote to becoming too stale.

84:8.5 (942.6) Advancing celestial beings all enjoy rest and the ministry of the reversion directors. All efforts to obtain wholesome diversion and to engage in uplifting play are sound; refreshing sleep, rest, recreation, and all pastimes which prevent the boredom of monotony are worth while. Competitive games, storytelling, and even the taste of good food may serve as forms of self-gratification. (When you use salt to savor food, pause to consider that, for almost a million years, man could obtain salt only by dipping his food in ashes.)

I suppose you would have to judge for yourself whether alcohol or drugs could possibly be considered "wholesome diversion". We are cautioned about engaging in attempts to elevate our consciousness or awareness that actually draw it into subconscious realms of activity.

100:5.9 (1099.7) The characteristics of the mystical state are diffusion of consciousness with vivid islands of focal attention operating on a comparatively passive intellect. All of this gravitates consciousness toward the subconscious rather than in the direction of the zone of spiritual contact, the superconscious. Many mystics have carried their mental dissociation to the level of abnormal mental manifestations.

PostPosted:  

William, good question. Jesus drank, even created wine. Seems like abuse is the problem, not use.

These are links to citing of the words drunken, drunkenness, and intoxication.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/search?keys=drunken&op=Search

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/search?keys=drunkenness&op=Search

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/search?keys=intoxication&op=Search

PostPosted:  

One more, intoxicants:

Paper 69 - Primitive Human Institutions

69:5:11 (776.9) intoxicants and drugs intrigued the primitive races.

Paper 88 - Fetishes, Charms, and Magic

88:1:9 (968.4) Poisons and intoxicants became fetishes; they were deemed to be possessed.

PostPosted:  

I consider this reference to mean that intoxicating drugs that poison the body are considered to be detrimental.

(1204.3) 110:1.5 The Adjuster remains with you in all disaster and through every sickness which does not wholly destroy the mentality. But how unkind knowingly to defile or otherwise deliberately to pollute the physical body, which must serve as the earthly tabernacle of this marvelous gift from God. All physical poisons greatly retard the efforts of the Adjuster to exalt the material mind, while the mental poisons of fear, anger, envy, jealousy, suspicion, and intolerance likewise tremendously interfere with the spiritual progress of the evolving soul.

We know that intoxicants intrigued primitive people, which tells me the use of drugs for the purpose of intoxication is a primitive practice, something we should outgrow.

(776.9) 69:5.11 8. Intoxicants and drugs intrigued the primitive races.

I think we should all follow the example of Jesus who did drink wine wisely and responsibly, but refused to drink narcotized wine even at his time of greatest suffering.

(2007.2) 187:2.3 Crucifixion was resorted to in order to provide a cruel and lingering punishment, the victim sometimes not dying for several days. There was considerable sentiment against crucifixion in Jerusalem, and there existed a society of Jewish women who always sent a representative to crucifixions for the purpose of offering drugged wine to the victim in order to lessen his suffering. But when Jesus tasted this narcotized wine, as thirsty as he was, he refused to drink it. The Master chose to retain his human consciousness until the very end. He desired to meet death, even in this cruel and inhuman form, and conquer it by voluntary submission to the full human experience.

(2063.2) 194:3.4 If religion is an opiate to the people, it is not the religion of Jesus. On the cross he refused to drink the deadening drug, and his spirit, poured out upon all flesh, is a mighty world influence which leads man upward and urges him onward. The spiritual forward urge is the most powerful driving force present in this world; the truth-learning believer is the one progressive and aggressive soul on earth.

PostPosted:  

Thanks for those references. It seems I need to expand my vocabulary in order to find what I'm looking for in the word search!