Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:28 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted:  

Katroofjebus responded to a post of mine by adding the gospel's part 2. That is the whole concept of loving our neighbors. Some of the direct confrontational posts, most notably by Bradley and Agon make me wonder if my idea of serving God's people is somehow different than others.MaryJo has said that she observes that we as a civilization have a pretty decent handle on brotherhood. I don't know whether I agree or not.

So my question is this. Does it matter that we think we are following Jesus' version of the Golden Rule or is there a higher concept than one posited by our understanding to which we should adhere? Or maybe we should adopt a fluid concept that regularly evaluates and updates our own best concepts of these things?

Having the latest revelation of truth gives me a sense of obligation to achieve personal mastery of recognition of my spirit guidance and my subsequent sharing of the growth I experience. Is that the practice of loving by brothers and sisters; that I seek for them what I seek in me? Isn't that what Jesus does?

Let's talk about this. There seems so often to be personal judgement by some who are so quick to evaluate others practices but remain unwilling to self reflect. And yes Agon and Brad this is about your constant need to reduce the value of others persons. In the discussion on climate yesterday you both resorted to personal criticism and confrontation. The Golden Rule must first be a mirror into which we look deeply.

I realize I am being quite vulnerable here, but I truly desire to practice the best I can know and I desire to assist in helping others to do the same.

Jim

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Katroofjebus responded to a post of mine by adding the gospel's part 2. That is the whole concept of loving our neighbors. Some of the direct confrontational posts, most notably by Bradley and Agon make me wonder if my idea of serving God's people is somehow different than others.MaryJo has said that she observes that we as a civilization have a pretty decent handle on brotherhood. I don't know whether I agree or not.

So my question is this. Does it matter that we think we are following Jesus' version of the Golden Rule or is there a higher concept than one posited by our understanding to which we should adhere? Or maybe we should adopt a fluid concept that regularly evaluates and updates our own best concepts of these things?

Having the latest revelation of truth gives me a sense of obligation to achieve personal mastery of recognition of my spirit guidance and my subsequent sharing of the growth I experience. Is that the practice of loving by brothers and sisters; that I seek for them what I seek in me? Isn't that what Jesus does?

Let's talk about this. There seems so often to be personal judgement by some who are so quick to evaluate others practices but remain unwilling to self reflect. And yes Agon and Brad this is about your constant need to reduce the value of others persons. In the discussion on climate yesterday you both resorted to personal criticism and confrontation. The Golden Rule must first be a mirror into which we look deeply.

I realize I am being quite vulnerable here, but I truly desire to practice the best I can know and I desire to assist in helping others to do the same.

Jim

Speaking of being "confrontational"!!! And "personal judgment" and "personal criticism" of others on display!!

And no...talking about your personal spiritual "growth" is not sharing and the comparing of your perception of your own spirituality by comparing it with your unfavorable disappointment in others is hardly any form of service.

We whom you constantly find so inferior to yourself and are idlers and those who merely read but do not live or strive or progress but languish in the valleys far below Jim's exalted peaks of spiritual progress where we lazily wallow in our dirty diapers while you lower yourself to save us...according to many years and dozens/hundreds of similar posts by you whereby you demonstrate your self satisfactions and lament your many disappointments in others...especially me, so often personally attacked, criticized and thusly confronted by you.

Tadpoles....we're a funny bunch of monkeys!!

I thought my contributions to the topic were reasoned, measured, on point, detailed, related to the teachings of the UB, and responsive to William's questions and concerns, as were Agon's. Then kat confronted and criticized Agon and then me after I quoted her declarations of radicalized opinion posted as fact. Kat became confrontational Jim. And there was another too but not really relevant.

You are being confrontational here and now for my posting of your words from your fairy tale...a sad but telling display of your chronic disappointment in others but pride in your self perceived progress. Here you complain of confrontation whilst demonstrating it. Hilarious.

Thanks for that. Truly. We all thusly project our personal BS onto others I think. I wonder if Maryjo will object to your post as personal and ad hominem? She usually objects to using names and personalizing attacks. No worries Jim...I needed the laugh and know how you feel about me and others already. Not feeling the love Jim. But giving it the best I know how. Sorry to disappoint you so much so often...I know how you feel....hahaha.

So..."let's talk about this."

Namaste.

:wink:

:lol: :wink: 8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:48 am +0000, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted:  

Hello Jim,

I think there are a couple trolls and persons with seriously challenged online social skills on this forum, people who I believe do not behave in these manners, in person because the consequence of such would be experienced directly and personally ---basically fear is what keeps them in check off-line. People tend to bridle social vices in real-time while releasing their reins online, sadly.

The web appears to promote these sorts of behaviors. So I have to ask myself, does brotherhood even actually extend into the web community in our present social climate, a medium of communication recently created with no history in the brotherhood of mankind? I think communication on the web has to play catch up with traditional mediums that facilitate social interaction, if it is to also be a tool for brotherhood.

Jim, I was forced to block a participant on the board because he refused to stop the personal attacks even after he was given a couple warnings. This board offers the option to block people who harass you. It is tragic that one would have to avail themselves of this feature, but the reality is there are crazies online who need to be avoided until they get their act straight.

And with that being said, here is my answer to your question, as I see it. Treat people as you would want them treat you, online or off-line, sums up brotherhood. If that is omitted then there is no love in the relationship.

Jim George wrote:

Jim

PostPosted:  

140:3.17 (1571.4) “You are commissioned to save men, not to judge them. At the end of your earth life you will all expect mercy; therefore do I require of you during your mortal life that you show mercy to all of your brethren in the flesh. Make not the mistake of trying to pluck a mote out of your brother’s eye when there is a beam in your own eye. Having first cast the beam out of your own eye, you can the better see to cast the mote out of your brother’s eye.

PostPosted:  

What a great topic Jim. Thank you for bringing it up. First I'm reminded of one thing I read in the Revelation that really startled me. It said that Jesus did not expect us to "achieve an impossible manifestation of brotherly love". I remember thinking long and hard about that. What makes it impossible? And why is it easier to learn fatherly love than brotherly love?

(1573.5) 140:5.3 Jesus did not expect his followers to achieve an impossible manifestation of brotherly love, but he did expect them to so strive to be like God — to be perfect even as the Father in heaven is perfect — that they could begin to look upon man as God looks upon his creatures and therefore could begin to love men as God loves them — to show forth the beginnings of a fatherly affection. In the course of these exhortations to the twelve apostles, Jesus sought to reveal this new concept of fatherly love as it is related to certain emotional attitudes concerned in making numerous environmental social adjustments.

PostPosted:  

From what I have seen is that many of us have a deep theoretical knowledge of the Papers but we are lacking the practical skills of living it. It is made clear in the UB (and the gospels in the New Testament) that Jesus' message is love, that is, if you act in love you can't go wrong. The UB brings us a large amount of knowledge to supplement our lack of awareness regarding cosmology and the administration of all the universes, as well as dispelling many incorrect religious traditions and myths. Most of all it brings us a much more complete view of the Master's bestowal and the Midwayers' accounts of his words, behavior and responses to situations. But all this knowledge is useless if we can't or won't let the love of the Father guide our thoughts and frame our responses when provoked by others. All our grand dissertations are worthless and hollow if we let our pride get wounded by disagreement, and we can hardly label others as trolls when we troll others.

I daresay that long winded diatribes against others or in defense of one's personal interpretations are a waste of everyone's time and effort and are against the spirit of the UB and the rules of this forum.

PostPosted:  

pethuel,

I am going to assume, and I think it is a safe assumption, your response takes an indirect "swipe" at me as you use the word troll, which is the term I use in my reply. Well, pethuel, I am not going to defend myself against your opinion, but I do want to at least let you know that I got your message. I don't agree with it in total, but your message has been received.

Peace.

pethuel wrote:
From what I have seen is that many of us have a deep theoretical knowledge of the Papers but we are lacking the practical skills of living it. It is made clear in the UB (and the gospels in the New Testament) that Jesus' message is love, that is, if you act in love you can't go wrong. The UB brings us a large amount of knowledge to supplement our lack of awareness regarding cosmology and the administration of all the universes, as well as dispelling many incorrect religious traditions and myths. Most of all it brings us a much more complete view of the Master's bestowal and the Midwayers' accounts of his words, behavior and responses to situations. But all this knowledge is useless if we can't or won't let the love of the Father guide our thoughts and frame our responses when provoked by others. All our grand dissertations are worthless and hollow if we let our pride get wounded by disagreement, and we can hardly label others as trolls when we troll others.

I daresay that long winded diatribes against others or in defense of one's personal interpretations are a waste of everyone's time and effort and are against the spirit of the UB and the rules of this forum.

PostPosted:  

Quote:

Yes, you have opened yourself to criticism, Jim. What you have succeeded in doing is opening a backlash because you have done what is not permitted here: naming names and criticizing others' motives and methods. Now, your motives and methods are being questioned. And others are now joining in...

This sort of communication between yourself and those whose actions are offensive to you must be done below others' radar - i.e., in private messaging. That is what it's there for. Publicly airing our personal grievances against one another is completely counter-productive to the purposes and aims of the Forum. Hence, the rules against it. This is not a group therapy forum where we explore one another's shortcomings and try to make them see the light that we perceive they need to see.

If we want to truly come to know one another, if we truly wish to find out what really makes someone else tick, I suggest putting effort into the private messaging option. Once we really know someone else, we may change our perception of them. We may even make a friend out of someone we thought was a foe.

The rest of my reply goes for you, and for everyone here who has a preconceived notion of one or more of the members here. My advice has always been to default to the idea that we are all here for one common purpose: to discuss The Urantia Book. Further, default to the idea that we all are devoted students of it with the desire to share and live the teachings. Assuming otherwise is a recipe for trouble. We are all - or we all should strive to be - loving examples of brotherhood towards one another. This age-old wisdom should prevail: if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all - at least publicly.

I implore all members to take this to heart.

An anonymous platform only shows so much of our true selves. It's hard to really know one another. We are all multi-faceted, we are all complicated personalities, we all have differing styles of writing and communicating. Some of us can be difficult or even abrasive in our attempts to explain ourselves. Sometimes it is nothing but hot air and bravado and should not be taken too seriously, in my opinion. Sometimes the loudest voices mask a vulnerability. And in the end, we are all vulnerable to criticism, aren't we? This is why these kinds of personal issues are discouraged in favor of more generalized discussion of topics that deal with The Urantia Book and its teachings.

If you want to deepen the discussion with one or more of the members here and explore your personal relationship with them as regards those teachings or their personal style of communication, please do it privately unless the discussion is uplifting for all. Simply accusing and calling one another out - and then expecting others to talk about it is not productive.

This topic is locked. It's a good topic on the face of it, but bringing in the personalities of others this way has made it untenable to moderate.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]