Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:59 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Anyone else feeling it?
PostPosted:  

I can only call it a weird problem...
When reading some of the papers, I get this fleeting feeling that 'Yeah, I understand this perfectly,' but the feeling lasts for microseconds and is gone... and no matter how hard I concentrate I can't get it back, hence I end up filling in the gaps with my conscious reasoning, which I doubt.
This first happened when I was reading about Paradise where the Universal Father resides, and for a fleeting flash of a fraction of half a second, I understood 'spaceless and timeless eternity'. Not anymore, the whole thing is gone. Then was the Trinity description... gone too.
Is this worthy of pursuing, what do you guys think?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

wiffinzebe wrote:
When reading some of the papers, I get this fleeting feeling that 'Yeah, I understand this perfectly,' but the feeling lasts for microseconds and is gone... and no matter how hard I concentrate I can't get it back, hence I end up filling in the gaps with my conscious reasoning, which I doubt.
This first happened when I was reading about Paradise where the Universal Father resides, and for a fleeting flash of a fraction of half a second, I understood 'spaceless and timeless eternity'. Not anymore, the whole thing is gone. Then was the Trinity description... gone too.

Pretty common, bet ya, wiffenzebe. And understandable in light of the unexpected nature of the Universe. The mind resists such massive adjustments in long-held beliefs, such a complete realignment with truth...for a while at least. Read on, firmly establish the scaffolding for greater and greater comprehension, thereby new pieces can be put and kept in place. The edifice of revelation is founded on better concepts, newer ideas, and enlightened receptivity.

PostPosted:  

Thank you, Rick. I hadn't thought of 'resistance', though I let go of long-held beliefs a while back.

PostPosted:  

Nicely said Rick!!

I am not sure we can let go of long held beliefs...or not without substituting newer/replacement beliefs for prior beliefs. That is, the mind craves knowledge and understanding sufficiently to invent speculations to explain what is not truly understood until we encounter that information and knowledge which does explain reality more accurately than prior inventions do. We will not lay aside current beliefs until an adequate replacement for it comes along.

The mind inherently seeks out explanations for our perception of reality and for the causes and effects related thereto. This scaffolding of both fact and fiction/invention is necessary for our sanity and function. Mind, all mind, seeks knowledge and understanding...it is a built in imperative! Over time, by experience and education, more of the scaffold of our perception and understanding/explanation becomes factual and less becomes fictional inventions of imagination.

How quickly we are willing and able to substitute new knowledge for prior fictions in our metaphysical explanation of reality determines the grip of blind prejudice (the resistance factor - a love of and loyalty to our own beliefs and stubborn refusal to consider alternative explanations for reality - pride is its sibling) over mind and learning for each of us. For some our stubborn and prideful confidence in our beliefs makes it difficult to even imagine more truthful and factual explanations. For others, new information and comprehension flashes brilliantly to formulate insight, intuitive confirmation, paradigm shifts, and moments of brilliant clarity (satori).

I think what wiffinzebe describes is so natural for truth seekers and true students and observers of life. Reality, metaphorically, is like those connect the dot pictures where time and experience discovers new dots or concepts not seen or noticed or recognized before. The more concepts we discover or invent, the more there are and the more connected they become until greater and greater clarity of perception and perspective comes into focus in the mind. The picture changes as facts replace fictions in our earlier metaphysical constructions of reality.

What I have found is that I did remember some of these new discoveries I read in the UB and I came to remember more and more of them over time as I continued to read and re-read and study specific topics in text. The UB says a growing and maturing mind that learns will always come to discover new meanings in old information/data. New concepts illuminate older ones in new ways and older concepts help position new concepts relative to totality of perspective. Mind is universally curious, perceptive, organizing, evaluating, calculating, projecting, speculating, creative, responsive, insightful, integrating, aggregating, associating, and relating everything to everything else!

PostPosted:  

wiffinzebe wrote:
"I get this fleeting feeling that 'Yeah, I understand this perfectly,' but the feeling lasts for microseconds and is gone... and no matter how hard I concentrate I can't get it back, hence I end up filling in the gaps with my conscious reasoning, which I doubt."

"Insight" vs. "thinking about insight" ?

UB 101:6.4 wrote:
"The evolutionary type of knowledge is but the accumulation of protoplasmic memory material; this is the most primitive form of creature consciousness. Wisdom embraces the ideas formulated from protoplasmic memory in process of association and recombination, and such phenomena differentiate human mind from mere animal mind. Animals have knowledge, but only man possesses wisdom capacity. Truth is made accessible to the wisdom-endowed individual by the bestowal on such a mind of the spirits of the Father and the Sons, the Thought Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth." (1111.8, 101:6.4)

David Bohm had a good go at exploring this. He proposed that there is something mechanical about the sort of of "thinking" that merely juggles and arranges concepts that already exist in our memory subsystem. On the other hand, those flashes of insight that refresh and motivate -- that fleeting feeling of clarity -- is of a different order. Elsewhere we had a discussion about this sort of non-mechanical overlay of intelligence upon such "protoplasmic memory material". One suggestion was that such non-mechanical intelligence is provided, initially, via those rhythmic pulsations of the adjutants; and then later, more directly via the three distinct "intuitions of validity" made accessible by the cosmic mind. Recall those three forms of the "cosmic discrimination",

UB 16:6.9 wrote:
"These scientific, moral, and spiritual insights, these cosmic responses, are innate in the cosmic mind, which endows all will creatures. The experience of living never fails to develop these three cosmic intuitions; they are constitutive in the self-consciousness of reflective thinking. But it is sad to record that so few persons on Urantia take delight in cultivating these qualities of courageous and independent cosmic thinking. (192.5, 16:6.9)

Nigel

PostPosted:  

wiffinzebe wrote:

Thinking more about your post/question overnight, wiffinzebe, and remembering reading Papers 104-06, the 'tough Papers' as I refer to them, where a mental construct is building and building, and a feeling of comprehension is growing. THEN the construct crashes on a revelatory statement that mind can't fathom or fit in. Yes, you well describe it as a "fleeting feeling". Repetition, repeated exposure, is about our only advantage, the best way of coping and, eventually, expanding in understanding. I am very much looking forward to hearing from the Melchizedeks and other teachers of universe philosophy in Mansonia.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
Nicely said Rick!!

I am not sure we can let go of long held beliefs...or not without substituting newer/replacement beliefs for prior beliefs. That is, the mind craves knowledge and understanding sufficiently to invent speculations to explain what is not truly understood until we encounter that information and knowledge which does explain reality more accurately than prior inventions do. We will not lay aside current beliefs until an adequate replacement for it comes along.

The mind inherently seeks out explanations for our perception of reality and for the causes and effects related thereto. This scaffolding of both fact and fiction/invention is necessary for our sanity and function. Mind, all mind, seeks knowledge and understanding...it is a built in imperative! Over time, by experience and education, more of the scaffold of our perception and understanding/explanation becomes factual and less becomes fictional inventions of imagination.

How quickly we are willing and able to substitute new knowledge for prior fictions in our metaphysical explanation of reality determines the grip of blind prejudice (the resistance factor - a love of and loyalty to our own beliefs and stubborn refusal to consider alternative explanations for reality - pride is its sibling) over mind and learning for each of us. For some our stubborn and prideful confidence in our beliefs makes it difficult to even imagine more truthful and factual explanations. For others, new information and comprehension flashes brilliantly to formulate insight, intuitive confirmation, paradigm shifts, and moments of brilliant clarity (satori).

I think what wiffinzebe describes is so natural for truth seekers and true students and observers of life. Reality, metaphorically, is like those connect the dot pictures where time and experience discovers new dots or concepts not seen or noticed or recognized before. The more concepts we discover or invent, the more there are and the more connected they become until greater and greater clarity of perception and perspective comes into focus in the mind. The picture changes as facts replace fictions in our earlier metaphysical constructions of reality.

What I have found is that I did remember some of these new discoveries I read in the UB and I came to remember more and more of them over time as I continued to read and re-read and study specific topics in text. The UB says a growing and maturing mind that learns will always come to discover new meanings in old information/data. New concepts illuminate older ones in new ways and older concepts help position new concepts relative to totality of perspective. Mind is universally curious, perceptive, organizing, evaluating, calculating, projecting, speculating, creative, responsive, insightful, integrating, aggregating, associating, and relating everything to everything else!

I love this explanation so much! It really hits home for me. Thank you, Bradly!

PostPosted:  

wiffinzebe wrote:

To split a hair - it’s probably not feelings, more like experience, experiencing truth.
This may be why it can’t be brought back by hard concentration.
Truth isn’t ours and can’t be made to happen by concentrating.

PostPosted:  

I agree with nnunn that these episodes are likely to be flashes of the reality reflex. Unless reality is realized as a triodity, it likely has little staying power as a mental building block. In other words, reality is best interrelated on three different levels for maximum stability, and when this occurs I believe it is called self-revelation. Reference:

(192.6) 16:6.10 In the local universe mind bestowals, these three insights of the cosmic mind constitute the a priori assumptions which make it possible for man to function as a rational and self-conscious personality in the realms of science, philosophy, and religion. Stated otherwise, the recognition of the reality of these three manifestations of the Infinite is by a cosmic technique of self-revelation. Matter-energy is recognized by the mathematical logic of the senses; mind-reason intuitively knows its moral duty; spirit-faith (worship) is the religion of the reality of spiritual experience. These three basic factors in reflective thinking may be unified and co-ordinated in personality development, or they may become disproportionate and virtually unrelated in their respective functions. But when they become unified, they produce a strong character consisting in the correlation of a factual science, a moral philosophy, and a genuine religious experience. And it is these three cosmic intuitions that give objective validity, reality, to man's experience in and with things, meanings, and values.

Is it worth pursuing? Most definitely. Reality is always worthwhile.

PostPosted:  

Thank you all for your thoughts on the topic. It feels great to have others to share and discuss...

I will continue learning- and hopefully, those flashes will soon find a 'ready' mind to latch onto.

PostPosted:  

wiffinzebe wrote:
Thank you all for your thoughts on the topic. It feels great to have others to share and discuss...

I will continue learning- and hopefully, those flashes will soon find a 'ready' mind to latch onto.

Godspeed.