Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:09 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Expressions of beauty
PostPosted:  

How do we express beauty in our lives? Not as clear to me as truth and goodness. Thanks for sharing all thoughts. Liz

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Liz,
This is a great question and one I have wondered about on occasion, as well. The first thing that comes to my mind is anything we do of a creative or expressive nature. For example, I enjoy singing as part of a choir and I am, at times, struck by the beauty of the collective harmonies we produce when all are striving to express themselves using the human voice.

I think also it is not exclusively about expressing beauty in our lives, but also appreciating it. Anytime we pause in our daily activities and really *see* the beauty of nature around us, or the serene grace of a small child, or the sound of the wind in the leaves ….. I think that is also part of our experience of beauty and our enjoyment of it -- because when we see beauty, what we are seeing is truly REAL. Reality in the sense the UB intends that word.

PostPosted:  

Good morning.
Great question.
My first thought is to do art.
But consider that beauty is a mind meaning I’d guess that an expression of ideas and concepts, or showing mercy, being moral, doing philosophy, expressing wisdom??
In the book it tells us that cosmic realities, mind meanings and spirit values are diety activities and we comprehend these activities as truth, beauty and goodness, and our personality correlates TBG as love, mercy and ministry and the non-personal expression of the latter is justice, power and sovereignty and we can identify the latter as thing, meaning and value. So maybe it’s more like doing what we comprehend, sort of like mimicking these diety activities??

Last edited by no sophist on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:25 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

some of my fav ways to express truth, beauty and goodness are:

sanity, health and happiness
cohesive, attractive and stabilizing
interprets, discovers and evaluates

uhm probability, possibility and certainty

lots more

PostPosted:  

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Appreciating beauty in this world is easy! I really like the idea of being creative in some form as expressing beauty. Again, thank you.

PostPosted:  

Hello liz and All,

This thread reminded me of this quote, where we see that truth, beauty, and goodness are intertwined; the expression of one is the expression of all:

Quote:
2:7.11 All truth—material, philosophic, or spiritual—is both beautiful and good. All real beauty—material art or spiritual symmetry—is both true and good. All genuine goodness—whether personal morality, social equity, or divine ministry—is equally true and beautiful. Health, sanity, and happiness are integrations of truth, beauty, and goodness as they are blended in human experience. Such levels of efficient living come about through the unification of energy systems, idea systems, and spirit systems.

It provokes a good deal of thought in me...

PostPosted:  

How about home and office decor and the addition of art, photography, and craft? Or the natural beauty of patio plants and gardens and landscape? My parents showed me the wonder and beauty of clouds and stars and surf and mountain top and wheat fields dancing in the wind and mermations and eagles soaring and gurgling brooks and so much more beauty can we share with one another, especially our children and grandchildren.

Thanks for the question...and the memories.

8)

PostPosted:  

Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

I find beauty in ants. They are extremely majestic creatures, beautifully fascinating, and the intricacies of their nest building is beautiful.

PostPosted:  

and beauty defined as the harmony of contrasts...from a tiny, delicate wildflower growing in a stark, granite monolith to the ultimate contrast of a perfected fragment of God inhabiting an evolutionary worm of the dust

PostPosted:  

One of the most beautiful expressions of beauty, if not the most beautiful expression of all that I've experienced in life, is Harmony.

Quote:
Harmony is the speech of Havona. (44:1.15)

PostPosted:  

Beauty is certainly easy enough to appreciate but the OP asks about expressing it.
Is forgiveness beautiful? Many people beg for it out of fear of the anthropomorphic god of the volcano but after so much begging and praying, the God of love and mercy asks us if we have learned how to forgive? So forgiving is what we do, not what we receive. We can’t escape the consequences of our actions but we can let go of resentments and similar baggage that retards growth by practicing forgiveness. So I can see forgiveness as beautiful.