Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:31 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted:  

Myrm wrote:
no sophist wrote:
...why not use pen and paper for your journal?

Yes, perhaps you are right. :(

Myrm,
Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope you're doing okay. Don't let anyone discourage you from sharing your thoughts here; I think it is very beneficial for both new readers and long-time readers to get a glimpse of your perspective.

Hope to see you around again soon.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Myrm has not logged in here since January 17, the date of the post you copied. Perhaps he/she is still visiting, no way to know without a login date. Unfortunate.

I don't blame no sophist's comments for the absence and end of posting and agree that as this is a forum and study group and discussion format for the discovery of the UB that Myrm's request for privacy and exclusive posting is not really in the spirit of TruthBook. There is private and there is public. On line forums are not private. To publish exclusively without comments or contributions or discussion is called a blog - a nonprivate and public posting of content that seeks an audience but without response. Or its a log...as suggested by no sophist...which is private. Not sure what's up with Myrm's request here myself which I also found as odd and inexplicable.

I was and am willing to oblige...but wonder to what end or purpose? I am a little suspicious of those who seem to come here simply for an audience...no matter why they seek one. We have a purpose here and it does not include "audience". But every new reader who comes here and does not stay has some reason for leaving...it would be interesting to know why that is, if probably unique to each one. I surmise it has to do with preconceptions clashing with the contents of the UB which results in a discontinuation of reading...or a single person here or the group dynamic of the study group here at different points in time have discouraged further attendance or that some singular event of transgression or personal shyness ended participation.

Whatever might be the case over time, it is good for us all to remember that TruthBook was built and is supported by its creators and managers FOR new/newer readers and for them to have a "safe" place to interact and study with more experienced readers. Those who come here to preach and exhort and declare and proclaim and offer pet personal metaphysical theories do not contribute to this goal and guideline. New readers should be met with our sincere intent to assist them in their studies and discovery....and NOT, as one here so recently proclaimed, to convince them or convert them or persuade them of anything....anything at all.

Myrm's welcome and greeting here was quite congenial: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5515

Like I said, unfortunate. Anyway, I agree Agon D. Onter...best wishes to Myrm and hope for a return to the group. May the reading of the UB continue regardless! Here's hoping...……….

:biggrin:

PostPosted:  

On retrospect, it does now seem a little bit unusual to present this idea of being solitary in posting, where others are not encouraged to chime in with discussion. On a Forum like this one, discussion is all there is, really. I do see where someone might want to do it that way, but in the end, it just ended up in frustration - for those who just wanted to take part, and probably for Myrm, too. Maybe that's why he decided to call it a day. But what I hope is that perhaps he is still keeping a record of his impressions somewhere and at some future date, might make it available for everyone - a blog, like you said, or a log. By then, he might be willing to entertain discussion.

I think it would have been a nice thing to do myself, had I been minded that way when I first discovered the book. But I was so famished that I gobbled it up too fast to be all that reflective about my experiences until much later.

I guess we all have the experience we need. I know people who do the book in fits and starts and it takes years to digest it. Whatever works, I guess...

PostPosted:  

Sure but this thread is only one place on the forum where Myrm, and others, frequently post. I chose to ask about Myrm's interest in possibly posting again with us on this thread because I figured he is probably subscribed to replies on this one (while very likely not on threads elsewhere on the forum). So, perchance, he'll see an email that there was a response to his thread and maybe see that we notice the absence.

I am posting to let Myrm know that some of us would like to still have his (her?) perspective even if not in 'journal' context, but just as part of the forum discussions.

I think it's kind of sad that Myrm has apparently decided to not participate. I am not blaming anyone, just thought I'd let Myrm know their input is missed and would be welcome on the forum in general.

PostPosted:  

Agreed. I'd love to see Myrm come back. It was good of you to reach out Agon...

Hi Myrm, if you're reading this post!

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Myrm wrote:
no sophist wrote:
...why not use pen and paper for your journal?

Yes, perhaps you are right. :(

Myrm,
Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope you're doing okay. Don't let anyone discourage you from sharing your thoughts here; I think it is very beneficial for both new readers and long-time readers to get a glimpse of your perspective.

Hope to see you around again soon.

I too hope to read Myrm thoughts and hope for his return.
However, if my comment about pen and paper so easily changed his mind I’m a bit surprised.
On any forum, much time and effort can be wasted trying to sort through misunderstandings that are inherent in electronic not face to face and even not personal attempts at communication.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6