Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:19 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted:  

It is interesting to note that the authors declare that the historical record presented will stand the test of time. Current science theories and dating technologies do not completely align with the UB but appear to confirm it more and more.

Scientific measurements are still very new, under development, unreliable in extremes especially, and tend to offer rather radical adjustments based on improvement. For example, artifact dating has changed multiple times the past 30 years to alter prior age estimates for the same sites and articles.

Regarding Andromeda - while it seems reasonable that this measurement is one of those subject to future revision statements, I find it personally amusing that it is this notation that is so frequently cited considering science currently has no idea what the actual speed of light is in space at great distances but presumes it to be the same as a very short distance in a vacuum in a lab on earth. There happens to be much speculation still on that one. Is space a vacuum? Time will tell. Hahaha.

I always found it interesting that the author did not claim how far it was....but, rather, how long it took for its light to get here. Hmmmmm.... A peculiar way to present it IMO. It seems more likely or reasonable that light slows down in space but is it possible for it to accelerate or skip time or distance by bending or other forms of distortion? The UB also claims speeds faster than SOL in contradiction to human science. Hmmmm....

:?: 8)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Ya think There is philosophic chaos? Have we forgotten that one can believe anything, one can rationalize anything, and one can confirm both true and false theories? Regarding cosmology, consider this quote from paper 103:6.5:
"A logical and consistent philosophic concept of the universe cannot be built up on the postulations of either materialism or spiritism, for both of these systems of thinking, when universally applied, are compelled to view the cosmos in distortion, the former contacting with a universe turned inside out, the latter realizing the nature of a universe turned outside in. Never, then, can either science or religion, in and of themselves, standing alone, hope to gain an adequate understanding of universal truths and relationships without the guidance of human philosophy and the illumination of divine revelation."

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:

I always found it interesting that the author did not claim how far it was....but, rather, how long it took for its light to get here. Hmmmmm.... A peculiar way to present it IMO. It seems more likely or reasonable that light slows down in space but is it possible for it to accelerate or skip time or distance by bending or other forms of distortion? The UB also claims speeds faster than SOL in contradiction to human science. Hmmmm....

:?: 8)

Good points, and a plausible theory. So much we don't know. Thanks fanofVan.

PostPosted:  

For people with a scientific background and the math capabilities this quote should stimulate some interest while we are thinking about discrepancies between what current science and the UB says about size and distance.
I’ve read it over several times and have come to believe the intention of giving us this information is the authors are providing calibration points where we can fine tune our distance measurements. This may be a revelation of science type data??
I can’t do the math but maybe someone here can take an interest and run some numbers? If someone hasn’t done it already?

2) 41:3.2 The suns of Nebadon are not unlike those of other universes. The material composition of all suns, dark islands, planets, and satellites, even meteors, is quite identical. These suns have an average diameter of about one million miles, that of your own solar orb being slightly less. The largest star in the universe, the stellar cloud Antares, is four hundred and fifty times the diameter of your sun and is sixty million times its volume. But there is abundant space to accommodate all of these enormous suns. They have just as much comparative elbow room in space as one dozen oranges would have if they were circulating about throughout the interior of Urantia, and were the planet a hollow globe.

Also, on a side note is it possible that the stellar cloud Antares is the remains of the Andronover nebula??
Anybody??

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
...Also, on a side note is it possible that the stellar cloud Antares is the remains of the Andronover nebula??
Anybody??

No side notes on my journal please. I’d rather you take it elsewhere rather than spamming up my journal with unnecessary chat.

Thank you. :smile:

PostPosted:  

Myrm wrote:
no sophist wrote:
...Also, on a side note is it possible that the stellar cloud Antares is the remains of the Andronover nebula??
Anybody??

No side notes on my journal please. I’d rather you take it elsewhere rather than spamming up my journal with unnecessary chat.

Sure, have it your way but remember, it is an open forum.

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
Myrm wrote:
no sophist wrote:
Anybody??

Sure, have it your way but remember, it is an open forum.

Yes it is, but I was hoping that people could respect that this is my journal and not an open topic for debate. There are many areas on this forum you can ask your questions; I am just respectfully asking you (and indeed others) not to clutter up my journal with chatter.

PostPosted:  

I don’t post chatter or spam!
I will however do my best to honor what I consider a unusual request to an open forum.
No promises.

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
I don’t post chatter or spam!
I will however do my best to honor what I consider a unusual request to an open forum.
No promises.

Yes, this is an open forum, so there are plenty of other place on this forum you can post in.

If you have that much of a problem with my request then I will discontinue my journal. Would that satisfy you?

PostPosted:  

do as you please.
i have interest in what you write but again, i won't promise to not respond to anything.
if you want zero responses, why not use pen and paper for your journal?
again, very unusual request but i pledge to do my best to comply, cant say it any better.

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
...why not use pen and paper for your journal?

Yes, perhaps you are right. :(

PostPosted:  

Myrm wrote:
no sophist wrote:
...why not use pen and paper for your journal?

Yes, perhaps you are right. :(

I took the liberty of requesting that admin provide you with a read only format.
Possibly this would be more helpful?

PostPosted:  

I don't mean to butt in or give unsolicited advice, however, since this is an open forum perhaps a compromise might be reached here. Larry W., long time moderator here, helped a new reader manage a sequential reading topic whereby students who responded to a sequential posting of questions from each Paper read were admonished to only provide answers, discussion, and text quotes from the Paper in question being currently read, or any prior Paper....or the very next Paper....no jumping forward in the text....a discussion of each Paper ensued which was quite lively, interesting, and well attended.

I'm afraid that the current format being used here invites answers, discussion, and tangents that are both inevitable and distracting from the purpose that Myrm hoped.

Myrm....you might also ask Maryjo for deletion and editing assistance to remove unwanted posts you find distracting or off topic. I would suggest such editing might be offensive to some and have less than desireable long term results. But it is true that those who begin a topic retain a certain proprietary and management interest in the topic and its development. While I've not asked the mods to remove someone else's posts on topics I began, well I certainly have been tempted to...hahahaha!

Foruming can be a difficult and clumsey process not truly manageable by a host or the originator. It is what it is. Like no sophist, I have enjoyed reading along with your Diary of Discovery. Please accept my suggestions in the good humor and intention with which they are offered. Thanks for being here and best wishes in your discovery of the Papers.

Bradly 8)

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
I don't mean to butt in or give unsolicited advice, however, since this is an open forum perhaps a compromise might be reached here. Larry W., long time moderator here, helped a new reader manage a sequential reading topic whereby students who responded to a sequential posting of questions from each Paper read were admonished to only provide answers, discussion, and text quotes from the Paper in question being currently read, or any prior Paper....or the very next Paper....no jumping forward in the text....a discussion of each Paper ensued which was quite lively, interesting, and well attended.

I'm afraid that the current format being used here invites answers, discussion, and tangents that are both inevitable and distracting from the purpose that Myrm hoped.

Myrm....you might also ask Maryjo for deletion and editing assistance to remove unwanted posts you find distracting or off topic. I would suggest such editing might be offensive to some and have less than desireable long term results. But it is true that those who begin a topic retain a certain proprietary and management interest in the topic and its development. While I've not asked the mods to remove someone else's posts on topics I began, well I certainly have been tempted to...hahahaha!

Foruming can be a difficult and clumsey process not truly manageable by a host or the originator. It is what it is. Like no sophist, I have enjoyed reading along with your Diary of Discovery. Please accept my suggestions in the good humor and intention with which they are offered. Thanks for being here and best wishes in your discovery of the Papers.

Bradly 8)

Thank you Brad and your thoughts are appreciated.
Please don’t let me be the one who derails an effort like this from a new reader. Enhance and encourage and appreciate and learn is what it’s all about for me and if my post appears chatty or spamming it is not intentional so I will apologize for that.
I’ll do my best to think reflectively before considering responding in the future, that’s the only compromise I can offer up. Keeping quiet in response to reading this thread is a tall order for me.

PostPosted:  

Hello to All,

The issue seems fairly simple. Myrm has begun this thread. He asked very early-on that others refrain from answering questions that he raises, in hopes that those questions will be answered by the text coming up...and as we all know, that often happens. Nevertheless, it is a "tall order," as no sophist observes, to be silent.

I suggest that if anyone finds a topic of discussion in this thread, that he or she open a new thread to pursue it, rather than take the liberty of ignoring Myrm's request and commenting on it in this thread - although there seems to have been a few instances when that seemed okay. But evidently, a line was crossed today.

And Myrm, if you would, please let us know when you DO invite comments, or if you are willing to compromise at all. Everyone here has been where you are - reading the Papers for the first time. And we are all just wanting to be of help, in the spirit of fellowship. I am sure you understand...but I am also sure that we will all comply with your wish to be left alone with your personal journal - is that what you want?

As a purely solitary effort, it may be of some value to someone else down the road, but it is a novel approach in my experience here; which is not to say it can't be done.

Thanks all...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next