Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:26 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Our mind is unable to process, visually, literal motion. It has to trick itself, so to speak, into believing it is observing it. Mind blowing stuff! The phenomenon is called "transsaccadic memory."

Basically, our field of vision seems to be continuous due to this phenomenon. The fact is, however, every time you move your eyes, and they are moving all the time, your brain switches off the processing of retinal images. When the movement stops, the process starts again; the intervening moment between the stop and go is blindness. This is called saccadic masking.

To elaborate further, the brain takes in the image obtained just before saccadic mask sets in, and the image it gets right after the mask is lifted; a still image per on and per off. The images received across the ons and offs are then integrated by the brain to fill in the gaps (blindness)! Our mind is literally building up matrices of images, frame by frame, and integrating them to form a motion picture.

So many spiritual analogies can be drawn from this. I think this phenomenon could be also related to TA picturization function.

Quote:
110:6.5 (1209.5) ...the Adjuster is increasingly enabled to register his picturizations of destiny with augmenting vividness and conviction upon the evolving consciousness of this God-seeking mind-soul.

Last edited by brooklyn_born on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:52 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I neglected to mention, if this phenomenon did not occur, every time your eyes moved, you would see blurred images.

PostPosted:  

I understand the concept of what you are saying Brooklyn. But you may be drawn into a misapplication of "art as life".

The mechanics of the modern videocamera are able to "shorten time" into a certain # series of photographs. This function is also often likened into the human ability to record visual memory. I contend that the human visual cortex is more like a "timelapse" photograph, in that an imprint is gradually "seared" into the brainal memory patterns. This is in the way a lit-sparkler will seem to be brighter in one point, after the human eye has had an instant to focus on its light-emissions. The recording of human visual memory is through "one constant impresson at all times" using the same lense (the lense of human perception). The human mind is able to recollect any impressions gained from this mechanism.

PostPosted:  

Hello SEla_Kelly,

If you have not done so, look up "transsaccadic memory." It explains this phenomenon.

SEla_Kelly wrote:
I understand the concept of what you are saying Brooklyn. But you may be drawn into a misapplication of "art as life".

The mechanics of the modern videocamera are able to "shorten time" into a certain # series of photographs. This function is also often likened into the human ability to record visual memory. I contend that the human visual cortex is more like a "timelapse" photograph, in that an imprint is gradually "seared" into the brainal memory patterns. This is in the way a lit-sparkler will seem to be brighter in one point, after the human eye has had an instant to focus on its light-emissions. The recording of human visual memory is through "one constant impresson at all times" using the same lense (the lense of human perception). The human mind is able to recollect any impressions gained from this mechanism.

PostPosted:  

Even so, if we are going to compare certain provisions, "picturizations", that the Adjuster gives unto the human mind, how would we distinguish that which arises existentially (from the Adjuster) and is only spiritually real, from that which "has been ingrained into the memory" experiencially.

That if the Adjuster guides the human mind, I find difficulty in either identifying and/or distinguishing these moments wherein the Adjuster adequately purveys to the mind of the human soul, those visualisation experiences which have led me to do God's will satisfactorily. The two levels of human memory you mention: they are distinct, and they must be coordinated in order for us to understand the universe. One refers to the mechanistic level of human memory input, whereas the Adjuster is involved in evaluating and utilizing such uninterpreted impressions.

PostPosted:  

It is challenging to distinguish between TA picturization and the minds own creation. I agree with you, SEla_Kelly. I believe there is a section in the revelation that admonishes us to err on the side of caution than to raise a picturization as having origin in TA.

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Even so, if we are going to compare certain provisions, "picturizations", that the Adjuster gives unto the human mind, how would we distinguish that which arises existentially (from the Adjuster) and is only spiritually real, from that which "has been ingrained into the memory" experiencially.

That if the Adjuster guides the human mind, I find difficulty in either identifying and/or distinguishing these moments wherein the Adjuster adequately purveys to the mind of the human soul, those visualisation experiences which have led me to do God's will satisfactorily. The two levels of human memory you mention: they are distinct, and they must be coordinated in order for us to understand the universe. One refers to the mechanistic level of human memory input, whereas the Adjuster is involved in evaluating and utilizing such uninterpreted impressions.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
110:5.6 In varying degrees and increasingly as you ascend the psychic circles, sometimes directly, but more often indirectly, you do communicate with your Adjusters. But it is dangerous to entertain the idea that every new concept originating in the human mind is the dictation of the Adjuster. More often, in beings of your order, that which you accept as the Adjuster's voice is in reality the emanation of your own intellect. This is dangerous ground, and every human being must settle these problems for himself in accordance with his natural human wisdom and superhuman insight.

Because this is "dangerous" we must be very careful. But I submit that we must commit to move forward anyway. The Adjuster content of our insight must increase as we deeply and personally decide these issues. The entirety of the revelation encourages us to discover ourselves as we discover God. Let us not make the mistake of failing to grow for fear of error.

And another thing, what is meant by danger? In a mercy dominated universe are we not allowed the error of misunderstanding? Personally, I would rather make a mistake while trying to advance than to sit back while I "wait upon the Lord" to reveal such things to me beyond any shadow of a doubt. Our Father measures us by our intentions not our results.

One last comment here. As human beings we are only expected to remain on terra firma for 70 to 80 years on the average these days. Can we have no hope of achieving some measure of success in experientially realizing these kinds of issues? Each of us must be willing to come to the realization of these and to do so apart from our intellectual understanding of them. Remember the analogy of one who can teach about marriage but knows not love. These issues are answered in personal spiritual experience, not in our proper understanding of the teachings of the book. We don't grow because we know, we know because we grow, yet knowing does not equate on a 1 to 1 ratio with the ability to explain what we know. It is imperative that we learn to acknowledge our growth by placing our faith in the increasingly apparent ability to hear the actual voice of God within us, however that manifests in each of us personally.

Jim

PostPosted:  

You're right Jim (with your recommendation). Thanks Brooklyn.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
You're right Jim (with your recommendation). Thanks Brooklyn.

PostPosted:  

Excellent points, Jim, and that was the reference I was looking for!

Jim George wrote:
Quote:
110:5.6 In varying degrees and increasingly as you ascend the psychic circles, sometimes directly, but more often indirectly, you do communicate with your Adjusters. But it is dangerous to entertain the idea that every new concept originating in the human mind is the dictation of the Adjuster. More often, in beings of your order, that which you accept as the Adjuster's voice is in reality the emanation of your own intellect. This is dangerous ground, and every human being must settle these problems for himself in accordance with his natural human wisdom and superhuman insight.

Because this is "dangerous" we must be very careful. But I submit that we must commit to move forward anyway. The Adjuster content of our insight must increase as we deeply and personally decide these issues. The entirety of the revelation encourages us to discover ourselves as we discover God. Let us not make the mistake of failing to grow for fear of error.

And another thing, what is meant by danger? In a mercy dominated universe are we not allowed the error of misunderstanding? Personally, I would rather make a mistake while trying to advance than to sit back while I "wait upon the Lord" to reveal such things to me beyond any shadow of a doubt. Our Father measures us by our intentions not our results.

One last comment here. As human beings we are only expected to remain on terra firma for 70 to 80 years on the average these days. Can we have no hope of achieving some measure of success in experientially realizing these kinds of issues? Each of us must be willing to come to the realization of these and to do so apart from our intellectual understanding of them. Remember the analogy of one who can teach about marriage but knows not love. These issues are answered in personal spiritual experience, not in our proper understanding of the teachings of the book. We don't grow because we know, we know because we grow, yet knowing does not equate on a 1 to 1 ratio with the ability to explain what we know. It is imperative that we learn to acknowledge our growth by placing our faith in the increasingly apparent ability to hear the actual voice of God within us, however that manifests in each of us personally.

Jim

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly and Jim,

What do you think about artificial, false memories? I was speaking to a friend of mine on this topic and we wondered the possibility of implanting false memories in the mind. Have any of you looked into that subject?

UB tells us TA stores memories of spiritual value to later reinsert them in our minds for recall. There is also the conspiracy theory that technology exists to condition the mnd with false memories by embedding them in frequencies our brains operate on. I have not done much research on it. What I just shared is just tidbit stuff I have gotten from cursory study.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
What do you think about artificial, false memories? I was speaking to a friend of mine on this topic and we wondered the possibility of implanting false memories in the mind. Have any of you looked into that subject?

UB tells us TA stores memories of spiritual value to later reinsert them in our minds for recall. There is also the conspiracy theory that technology exists to condition the mnd with false memories by embedding them in frequencies our brains operate on. I have not done much research on it. What I just shared is just tidbit stuff I have gotten from cursory study.

The short answer to your first question is "no". I guess it is possible to have false memories as a concept but of course, since they aren't real, they wouldn't be able to withstand the reality test of Paper 16:6.10.
Quote:
In the local universe mind bestowals, these three insights of the cosmic mind constitute the a priori assumptions which make it possible for man to function as a rational and self-conscious personality in the realms of science, philosophy, and religion. Stated otherwise, the recognition of the reality of these three manifestations of the Infinite is by a cosmic technique of self-revelation. Matter-energy is recognized by the mathematical logic of the senses; mind-reason intuitively knows its moral duty; spirit-faith (worship) is the religion of the reality of spiritual experience. These three basic factors in reflective thinking may be unified and co-ordinated in personality development, or they may become disproportionate and virtually unrelated in their respective functions. But when they become unified, they produce a strong character consisting in the correlation of a factual science, a moral philosophy, and a genuine religious experience. And it is these three cosmic intuitions that give objective validity, reality, to man’s experience in and with things, meanings, and values.

A story I heard many years ago is relevant. A very wealthy lady was hiring a chauffeur. She lived on top of a treacherous hill with a winding and at times narrow driveway, often with a cliff on one side. Three candidates applied. To each she asked only one question. "How close to the cliff edge of the driveway can you drive and still be safe? The first answered that he could handle the car so well that only a couple of inches was required. The second suggested he could manage 6 inches. The third said that as far as he could get in every circumstance was the safest. He got the job.

In my attempts to discover my way and realize the reality of these things, it seems to be that the best path isn't to know and discover the errors, that I might know of the potential pitfalls, but to focus as deliberately as I can on the precise path as a way of seeking truth. I have found that to be the epitome of challenging. Being real is my goal. If something isn't real I discard it as soon as I find it so. My key is to be as deeply honest with myself as I can discover, in this process.

So, with that said, the thought adjuster may interject what ever into my thinking process as long as I use the ever developing reality test to uncover the truth, I am comfortable. I make no claim to the source of the input I receive unless so directed, which doesn't happen often. Gabriel announced himself to Elizabeth and Mary. Other than that kind of pronouncement, I can't seem to tell the difference. Nobody has made such an announcement to me. Discernment of source, therefore, is only a hypothetical and only available in personal experience. Valuation of the reality isn't authenticated by the source, but by our faith. That is why the Urantia Book is such a conundrum. We can't validate it until we experience it. Until then it is only theory.

I asked my fellow students in Bible school this question. "If Jesus walked in the room right now, wearing today's clothes, and looking like one of us, how would you know it was him?" They all answered that they were confident that they would know. I said, How, do you think he would be wearing a name tag?" Reality is the only thing like reality. Everything else is almost like realty. The challenge is to discover the difference.

Jim

PostPosted:  

Jim,

Profound and thought provoking response, especially the Jesus example. I guess what we believe in rest on our faith in it.

Jim George wrote:
Quote:

The short answer to your first question is "no". I guess it is possible to have false memories as a concept but of course, since they aren't real, they wouldn't be able to withstand the reality test of Paper 16:6.10.
Quote:
In the local universe mind bestowals, these three insights of the cosmic mind constitute the a priori assumptions which make it possible for man to function as a rational and self-conscious personality in the realms of science, philosophy, and religion. Stated otherwise, the recognition of the reality of these three manifestations of the Infinite is by a cosmic technique of self-revelation. Matter-energy is recognized by the mathematical logic of the senses; mind-reason intuitively knows its moral duty; spirit-faith (worship) is the religion of the reality of spiritual experience. These three basic factors in reflective thinking may be unified and co-ordinated in personality development, or they may become disproportionate and virtually unrelated in their respective functions. But when they become unified, they produce a strong character consisting in the correlation of a factual science, a moral philosophy, and a genuine religious experience. And it is these three cosmic intuitions that give objective validity, reality, to man’s experience in and with things, meanings, and values.

A story I heard many years ago is relevant. A very wealthy lady was hiring a chauffeur. She lived on top of a treacherous hill with a winding and at times narrow driveway, often with a cliff on one side. Three candidates applied. To each she asked only one question. "How close to the cliff edge of the driveway can you drive and still be safe? The first answered that he could handle the car so well that only a couple of inches was required. The second suggested he could manage 6 inches. The third said that as far as he could get in every circumstance was the safest. He got the job.

In my attempts to discover my way and realize the reality of these things, it seems to be that the best path isn't to know and discover the errors, that I might know of the potential pitfalls, but to focus as deliberately as I can on the precise path as a way of seeking truth. I have found that to be the epitome of challenging. Being real is my goal. If something isn't real I discard it as soon as I find it so. My key is to be as deeply honest with myself as I can discover, in this process.

So, with that said, the thought adjuster may interject what ever into my thinking process as long as I use the ever developing reality test to uncover the truth, I am comfortable. I make no claim to the source of the input I receive unless so directed, which doesn't happen often. Gabriel announced himself to Elizabeth and Mary. Other than that kind of pronouncement, I can't seem to tell the difference. Nobody has made such an announcement to me. Discernment of source, therefore, is only a hypothetical and only available in personal experience. Valuation of the reality isn't authenticated by the source, but by our faith. That is why the Urantia Book is such a conundrum. We can't validate it until we experience it. Until then it is only theory.

I asked my fellow students in Bible school this question. "If Jesus walked in the room right now, wearing today's clothes, and looking like one of us, how would you know it was him?" They all answered that they were confident that they would know. I said, How, do you think he would be wearing a name tag?" Reality is the only thing like reality. Everything else is almost like realty. The challenge is to discover the difference.

Jim