Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:37 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I think a block feature or being able to block someone from viewing your posts would solve a lot of the problems the board is currently experiencing. Is it possible to get that feature added? I really don't want to unsubscribe from this forum. But I feel I am being pressured to with the constant harassment.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

This is a virtual Urantia Book Study Group. The purpose of this Study Group is: "To be a safe place where newcomers to The Urantia Book can ask questions and explore the teachings of The Urantia Book in a communal setting."

Like any brick-and-mortar Study Group, the host of this Study Group ( The Jesusonian Foundation ) reserves the rights to refuse entry to the Study Group or to eject people from the Study Group.

No member of this Study Group has those rights or powers, nor will they ever be given those rights and powers. Members of this Study Group are guests of the host. i.e. We will not give guests the power to block any other guests.

If you want a different Urantia Book forum, try http://www.ubron.org/home.cfm or https://urantia-association.org/forums/

PostPosted:  

Hello Gremlin,

I did a search and the feature actually exists (see below) on this site! Sorry for the false alarm request.

Regards,
BB

PostPosted:  

BB
The Foes feature blocks *you* from seeing posts of folks you don't want to read; so it does the inverse of what you asked for in your post here, "a block feature or being able to block someone from viewing your posts".

In other words, there is nothing you can do to stop other participants from reading your posts here. I wonder, though, what such a feature you requested would result in? Blocking everyone except those who agree with you would create an artificially harmonious environment in which no contrasting viewpoints would be shared. Hmmmm…. that reminds me of something.

PostPosted:  

Same intended effect. I won't know if they're reading my posts if I don't see their responses to it. So in essence its like not reading/seeing my posts. It spares me having to read personal attacks or personal statements on me :badgrin:

The reason for my request was to have a way of avoiding people who want to personally attack me or make me the focus of the discussion. Agon, you don't agree with a lot of my thoughts on TUB, yet I never have had to report you. Why? Because, for the most part, you keep your comments to the facts of the discussion without resorting to ad hominems.

My views are fair game. However, my persons is not. Some people, unfortunately, find that very challenging *shrugs*

Agon D. Onter wrote:
BB
The Foes feature blocks *you* from seeing posts of folks you don't want to read; so it does the inverse of what you asked for in your post here, "a block feature or being able to block someone from viewing your posts".

In other words, there is nothing you can do to stop other participants from reading your posts here. I wonder, though, what such a feature you requested would result in? Blocking everyone except those who agree with you would create an artificially harmonious environment in which no contrasting viewpoints would be shared. Hmmmm…. that reminds me of something.

PostPosted:  

I think I know what you're insinuating and it would be a really cool topic to explore. But you'd have to be the one to initiate that discussion Lmao! :badgrin:

Agon D. Onter wrote:
BB
Blocking everyone except those who agree with you would create an artificially harmonious environment in which no contrasting viewpoints would be shared. Hmmmm…. that reminds me of something.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

If one only sees a reflection of one's self in the world then one will become a Solipsist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

If this forum is visited by outsiders, then they will see many people talking past each other. Each user in their own world. A literal Tower of Babel.

As funny as this might seem, it would destroy whatever benevolent image the Urantia Book reader community has. It would appear to non-readers that the readers are away with the pixies.

Believe it or don't: This is a public forum and it is continuously visited by academics, journalists, and other inquisitive people.

If the forum degenerates because the users have poor or non-existent communication skills, then the ability of the forum to serve it's primary purpose is disabled. Then the forum will be closed down.

PostPosted:  

Understood.

Gremlin wrote:
If one only sees a reflection of one's self in the world then one will become a Solipsist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

If this forum is visited by outsiders, then they will see many people talking past each other. Each user in their own world. A literal Tower of Babel.

As funny as this might seem, it would destroy whatever benevolent image the Urantia Book reader community has. It would appear to non-readers that the readers are away with the pixies.

Believe it or don't: This is a public forum and it is continuously visited by academics, journalists, and other inquisitive people.

If the forum degenerates because the users have poor or non-existent communication skills, then the ability of the forum to serve it's primary purpose is disabled. Then the forum will be closed down.