Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:25 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I think most readers of TUB are aware the mind papers borrow heavily from early 20th century psychology. Father fragment is example of this. Revelators borrowed the psychology concept, schizophrenia, and enlarged it to advance cosmic truth that a part of Father indwells the human mind.

Schizophrenia is translated as "fragmented mind."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I was not aware of that no. Evidence?

And the TA indwelt mind signifies a mind unified by the Adjutants and harmonized by God within...not at all fragmented.

Delusions, illusions, voices, disorganized thinking and behavior, dissociated, irrational...these are not related to God or the TA's in any way.

The UB does not present schizophrenia as normal or desirable....nor is fragmentation ever a good thing or goal of evolution or revelation or spiritualization...except as God can distribute himself to his children of eternity and time...which has nothing to do with a clinically diagnosed brain or character disorder according to modern psychiatry.

Another opinion without supporting text.

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
I think most readers of TUB are aware the mind papers borrow heavily from early 20th century psychology. Father fragment is example of this. Revelators borrowed the psychology concept, schizophrenia, and enlarged it to advance cosmic truth that a part of Father indwells the human mind.

Let's see what the book says:

Quote:
133:7.12 (1480.4) The human mind does not well stand the conflict of double allegiance. It is a severe strain on the soul to undergo the experience of an effort to serve both good and evil. The supremely happy and efficiently unified mind is the one wholly dedicated to the doing of the will of the Father in heaven. Unresolved conflicts destroy unity and may terminate in mind disruption. But the survival character of a soul is not fostered by attempting to secure peace of mind at any price, by the surrender of noble aspirations, and by the compromise of spiritual ideals; rather is such peace attained by the stalwart assertion of the triumph of that which is true, and this victory is achieved in the overcoming of evil with the potent force of good.

Quote:
102:2.5 (1120.2) Even the discoveries of science are not truly real in the consciousness of human experience until they are unraveled and correlated, until their relevant facts actually become meaning through encircuitment in the thought streams of mind. Mortal man views even his physical environment from the mind level, from the perspective of its psychological registry. It is not, therefore, strange that man should place a highly unified interpretation upon the universe and then seek to identify this energy unity of his science with the spirit unity of his religious experience. Mind is unity; mortal consciousness lives on the mind level and perceives the universal realities through the eyes of the mind endowment. The mind perspective will not yield the existential unity of the source of reality, the First Source and Center, but it can and sometime will portray to man the experiential synthesis of energy, mind, and spirit in and as the Supreme Being. But mind can never succeed in this unification of the diversity of reality unless such mind is firmly aware of material things, intellectual meanings, and spiritual values; only in the harmony of the triunity of functional reality is there unity, and only in unity is there the personality satisfaction of the realization of cosmic constancy and consistency.
102:2.6 (1120.3) Unity is best found in human experience through philosophy. And while the body of philosophic thought must ever be founded on material facts, the soul and energy of true philosophic dynamics is mortal spiritual insight.

There are many other such quotes but I haven't time right now to dig them all up.

PostPosted:  

The purpose of this thread was to show the source of the term father fragment. The revelators developed or enlarged the psychology concept as it is delivered in TUB nearly independent of what it exactly represented to psychologists in the 20th century.

Agon D. Onter wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:

Let's see what the book says:

Quote:
133:7.12 (1480.4) The human mind does not well stand the conflict of double allegiance. It is a severe strain on the soul to undergo the experience of an effort to serve both good and evil. The supremely happy and efficiently unified mind is the one wholly dedicated to the doing of the will of the Father in heaven. Unresolved conflicts destroy unity and may terminate in mind disruption. But the survival character of a soul is not fostered by attempting to secure peace of mind at any price, by the surrender of noble aspirations, and by the compromise of spiritual ideals; rather is such peace attained by the stalwart assertion of the triumph of that which is true, and this victory is achieved in the overcoming of evil with the potent force of good.

Quote:
102:2.5 (1120.2) Even the discoveries of science are not truly real in the consciousness of human experience until they are unraveled and correlated, until their relevant facts actually become meaning through encircuitment in the thought streams of mind. Mortal man views even his physical environment from the mind level, from the perspective of its psychological registry. It is not, therefore, strange that man should place a highly unified interpretation upon the universe and then seek to identify this energy unity of his science with the spirit unity of his religious experience. Mind is unity; mortal consciousness lives on the mind level and perceives the universal realities through the eyes of the mind endowment. The mind perspective will not yield the existential unity of the source of reality, the First Source and Center, but it can and sometime will portray to man the experiential synthesis of energy, mind, and spirit in and as the Supreme Being. But mind can never succeed in this unification of the diversity of reality unless such mind is firmly aware of material things, intellectual meanings, and spiritual values; only in the harmony of the triunity of functional reality is there unity, and only in unity is there the personality satisfaction of the realization of cosmic constancy and consistency.
102:2.6 (1120.3) Unity is best found in human experience through philosophy. And while the body of philosophic thought must ever be founded on material facts, the soul and energy of true philosophic dynamics is mortal spiritual insight.

There are many other such quotes but I haven't time right now to dig them all up.

PostPosted:  

The psychiatric term of schizophrenia is not the source of the term Father Fragment. So you have, so far, failed in your purpose. Still need documentation to make more than an opinion of your proposition.

So do you claim God to be schizophrenic? If not, then what?

PostPosted:  

BB wrote:

Quote:
The purpose of this thread was to show the source of the term father fragment.

Why does the term Father fragment need a source? It's a fragment … of the Father. It's like saying car tire instead of saying 'tire of the car'.

But, if you insist on looking into the origination of the term, perhaps consider what is the etymology of the word "fragment".

from Latin fragmentum "a fragment, remnant," literally "a piece broken off," from base of frangere "to break

The source of the expression Father fragment is a piece of the Father. It's not schizophrenia!

PostPosted:  

Where did I say father fragment is schizophrenia?

Agon D. Onter wrote:
BB wrote:

Quote:
The purpose of this thread was to show the source of the term father fragment.

Why does the term Father fragment need a source? It's a fragment … of the Father. It's like saying car tire instead of saying 'tire of the car'.

But, if you insist on looking into the origination of the term, perhaps consider what is the etymology of the word "fragment".

from Latin fragmentum "a fragment, remnant," literally "a piece broken off," from base of frangere "to break

The source of the expression Father fragment is a piece of the Father. It's not schizophrenia!

PostPosted:  

What are you trying to say? What's the point of this personal opinion?

PostPosted:  

Another example of celestials borrowing from psychology to enlarge, expand and enhance our understanding is the term Thought Adjuster and the classical psycho-physical method, "adjustment."

PostPosted:  

It's certainly fun to speculate; and if you want to believe these terms came from human psychology terms, you are certainly free to do so.

Personally, I find it more logical to believe that the terms were used due to their historical use in human language, which gives the most readily-understood meaning for the greatest number of readers.

I already gave the etymology for the word "fragment"; and here it is for the word "adjuster".

late 14c.,
ajusten, "to correct, remedy," from Old French ajuster, ajoster "add; assemble; calibrate, gauge, regulate," from Late Latin adiuxtare "to bring near," from ad "to" (see ad-) + Latin iuxta "next, close by," from suffixed form of PIE root *yeug- "to join."

"To join". Now that's interesting! Adjuster fusion, anyone?

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Personally, I find it more logical to believe that the terms were used due to their historical use in human language, which gives the most readily-understood meaning for the greatest number of readers.

That is the point of the thread, to show revelators borrowed from existing languages to expand, enlarge and advance our understanding. I wanted to illustrate how they pulled from psychology nomenclature regarding the mind revelatory papers.

PostPosted:  

What do you mean by "borrowed", though? Isn't it just the way language works - that it is used and over time the meaning is enlarged and developed to adapt to current needs for usage of the language?

For example, the word "text". When I was young, the word "text" meant something written and published, like a book or a manual. It still means that now, but in addition, it also means to type with one's thumbs on a mobile device as a means of sending a 'text' message to someone else. It's actually used as both a noun and a verb. I wouldn't use the word "borrow", I'd just say the meaning has grown to include new usages/ practical realities.

PostPosted:  

I agree with everything you say. I would say if the word borrow is misleading then we can substitute it with "use" since that is the word the revelators use regarding this issue.

Quote:
0:0.2 (1.2) It is exceedingly difficult to present enlarged concepts and advanced truth, in our endeavor to expand cosmic consciousness and enhance spiritual perception, when we are restricted to the use of a circumscribed language of the realm. But our mandate admonishes us to make every effort to convey our meanings by using the word symbols of the
English tongue. We have been instructed to introduce new terms only when the concept to be portrayed finds no terminology in English which can be employed to convey such a new concept partially or even with more or less
distortion of meaning.

Agon D. Onter wrote:
What do you mean by "borrowed", though? Isn't it just the way language works - that it is used and over time the meaning is enlarged and developed to adapt to current needs for usage of the language?

For example, the word "text". When I was young, the word "text" meant something written and published, like a book or a manual. It still means that now, but in addition, it also means to type with one's thumbs on a mobile device as a means of sending a 'text' message to someone else. It's actually used as both a noun and a verb. I wouldn't use the word "borrow", I'd just say the meaning has grown to include new usages/ practical realities.

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
Where did I say father fragment is schizophrenia?

Me here: Perhaps in your first post?

brooklyn_born wrote:

PostPosted:  

Agon,

The revelators tell us they draw from human concepts. Don't you think psychiatry/psychology could be included since they are related to the study of mind? Consider the below revelation:

Quote:
0:12.12 (17.1) ... in making these presentations about God and his universe associates, we have selected as the basis of these papers more than one thousand human concepts representing the highest and most advanced planetary knowledge of spiritual values and universe meanings. ...

Agon D. Onter wrote:
It's certainly fun to speculate; and if you want to believe these terms came from human psychology terms, you are certainly free to do so.

I already gave the etymology for the word "fragment"; and here it is for the word "adjuster".

late 14c.,
ajusten, "to correct, remedy," from Old French ajuster, ajoster "add; assemble; calibrate, gauge, regulate," from Late Latin adiuxtare "to bring near," from ad "to" (see ad-) + Latin iuxta "next, close by," from suffixed form of PIE root *yeug- "to join."

"To join". Now that's interesting! Adjuster fusion, anyone?