Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:44 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Does the language of revelation as delivered by Revelators in TUB affect how we perceive them? There is an area of study in linguistics that looks into language and how it shapes our perception of reality, and in this case the reality of the revelations. And this is why I am a firm believer that relying solely on a literal interpretation of TUB handicaps the mind to the multitudinous layers of revelation.

Click on below link to study.

link

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
Does the language of revelation as delivered by Revelators in TUB affect how we perceive them? There is an area of study in linguistics that looks into language and how it shapes our perception of reality, and in this case the reality of the revelations. And this is why I am a firm believer that relying solely on a literal interpretation of TUB handicaps the mind to the multitudinous layers of revelation.

link

I'd say your non-literal claims contradict the authors, especially if nothing is read as literal. They literally say it is written literalliy!!

What do you mean by the "reality of the revelations"? Do you mean the epochal revelation of fact and truth? Or personal revelations? Isn't the very point of epochal revelation to provide a very specific and literal description of reality? Please describe the so called multitudenous layers of revelation...are those literal or metaphorical layers?

:wink: 8)

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
Does the language of revelation as delivered by Revelators in TUB affect how we perceive them?

Well, yes. If we understand the language they deliver it with, then we can perceive what is being said. Isn't that obvious? If it is delivered in a language I don't speak or know, then I won't be able to understand. Again, pretty obvious.

brooklyn_born wrote:
There is an area of study in linguistics that looks into language and how it shapes our perception of reality, and in this case the reality of the revelations. And this is why I am a firm believer that relying solely on a literal interpretation of TUB handicaps the mind to the multitudinous layers of revelation.

link

I don't think there is any question that language shapes our perceptions of reality - if we don't have a word for something, our minds cannot grasp or retain that concept. Memory works the same way; until we have a critical mass of vocabulary, we cannot retain memories; that is why we rarely remember things from when we were pre-verbal.

The revelators do say that they are handicapped by their inability to express some of the revelations in our language; they find it difficult to convey some concepts that they know in whatever language they speak on Jerusem or wherever, so yes; I'd say the answer to the question you post is definitely yes. But the revelators have the ability to overcome, for the most part, any serious inability to expain to us what they want us to know in our own language, so no worries.

PostPosted:  

Did you read the article?

Agon D. Onter wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:
Does the language of revelation as delivered by Revelators in TUB affect how we perceive them?

Well, yes. If we understand the language they deliver it with, then we can perceive what is being said. Isn't that obvious? If it is delivered in a language I don't speak or know, then I won't be able to understand. Again, pretty obvious.

brooklyn_born wrote:
There is an area of study in linguistics that looks into language and how it shapes our perception of reality, and in this case the reality of the revelations. And this is why I am a firm believer that relying solely on a literal interpretation of TUB handicaps the mind to the multitudinous layers of revelation.

link

I don't think there is any question that language shapes our perceptions of reality - if we don't have a word for something, our minds cannot grasp or retain that concept. Memory works the same way; until we have a critical mass of vocabulary, we cannot retain memories; that is why we rarely remember things from when we were pre-verbal.

The revelators do say that they are handicapped by their inability to express some of the revelations in our language; they find it difficult to convey some concepts that they know in whatever language they speak on Jerusem or wherever, so yes; I'd say the answer to the question you post is definitely yes. But the revelators have the ability to overcome, for the most part, any serious inability to expain to us what they want us to know in our own language, so no worries.

PostPosted:  

Yes...I read the article. Language can linguistically be informative or provocative or misleading or evocative or precise or not or factual or rhetorical.

Since the authors of the Papers claim their contents and purpose to factually present reality and as we can assume them to be masters of linguistics and communication and instruction, one might consider their efforts compellingly direct and effective with superhuman enhancements related to anticipation of reader questions and the added ability to deliver new and greater meanings to those minds which read their information and knowledge and teachings multiple times with a growing set of context and perspective as fact and truth combine to effect paradigm shifts of awareness.

They say what they mean...and mean what they say.

Best book ever written....IMO. 8)

PostPosted:  

Again, what it says in the article is, for the most part, well understood intuitively by most people. I don't see anything earth-shattering there. Furthermore, I have no doubt that the revelators know more about how language impacts our perceptions than any current scientist ever will. So I have no reason to think that they didn't already take all that into account as they were indicting the written papers in a way that would best provide the average person with the greatest opportunity to understand and perceive the revelations.

PostPosted:  

ok. I was not too sure you did.

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Again, what it says in the article is, for the most part, well understood intuitively by most people. I don't see anything earth-shattering there. Furthermore, I have no doubt that the revelators know more about how language impacts our perceptions than any current scientist ever will. So I have no reason to think that they didn't already take all that into account as they were indicting the written papers in a way that would best provide the average person with the greatest opportunity to understand and perceive the revelations.

PostPosted:  

Before you proceed farther along, I posit that "Babbling" to musically speak as in the imitation of another's dialect, or musically skatting, is a healthy exercise in that the human individual is not as constrained by the usual consonants of their native language. In fact, new syllables and tones are often expressed.

I think that the original human languages may have been an imiatation of what was heard from the sounds of the universe: both as in the sounds of meteors and rustling trees, but also that the original Adam and Eve language may have been universe sounds spoken by Universe Mother Spirit. How can we know this for certain!

The ability to consider several possibilities at once in the mind, is how the original Adamites possessed such eloquence. There is also the consideration that vibrations were telenetically spoken betweenst these people. How does language and especially our mental comprehension of the spoken words, affect our reactions! How are the ideas and words connected to the universe subjects experiencially!

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly,

There is an African tribe that speaks in "clicks." I forget the name of the tribe but it may have some bearing on what you present.

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Before you proceed farther along, I posit that "Babbling" to musically speak as in the imitation of another's dialect, or musically skatting, is a healthy exercise in that the human individual is not as constrained by the usual consonants of their native language. In fact, new syllables and tones are often expressed.

I think that the original human languages may have been an imiatation of what was heard from the sounds of the universe: both as in the sounds of meteors and rustling trees, but also that the original Adam and Eve language may have been universe sounds spoken by Universe Mother Spirit. How can we know this for certain!

The ability to consider several possibilities at once in the mind, is how the original Adamites possessed such eloquence. There is also the consideration that vibrations were telenetically spoken betweenst these people. How does language and especially our mental comprehension of the spoken words, affect our reactions! How are the ideas and words connected to the universe subjects experiencially!

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
And this is why I am a firm believer that relying solely on a literal interpretation of TUB handicaps the mind to the multitudinous layers of revelation.

It would appear from the quote above that you are saying that as you read the UB you find that which is factual and literal and that which is not. I wonder how you determine which is which? I wonder why a book that declares the importance and value of clarification and accuracy of its presentation for the purpose of reducing mortal confusions and eliminating the errors of perception and context, understanding, and beliefs about universe realities might combine fact and non factual presentations of that reality?

I wonder if this claim of others' "handicaps" might mean that you believe as literal that which you understand and agree with but think (and claim) that which you do not understand or agree with to then be non-literal?

We all come to every book, especially the UB, with our own preconceptions. Regarding universe reality, all of us mostly come with misconceptions. We may come with real faith and have experienced real spiritual growth in our religious experiences and truth seeking (or not) but none of us comes to this revelation of universe reality with much accuracy of knowledge or information or beliefs regarding it.

It is very interesting how we each and all react and respond to those contents which confuse us. But it is far more fascinating to consider how we respond to those contents which directly challenge and contradict our preconceptions. Some of those being very important and dear to us. Sometimes we simply reject the whole book which dares to disagree with us. Sometimes our preconceptions are so important that we reject those contents which contradicts our prior beliefs. Sometime our beliefs are so important we claim that which is written does not mean what it says at all but actually confirms our own preconceived beliefs for which we desperately seek confirmations. Sometimes so important that we claim the UB is not written literally but has some other, more mysterious meaning....which agrees with us!

I wonder if this is what's meant by the "multitudinous layers of revelation" above? Is it the mind or literalism that is "handicapped" or is it prejudice and preconception that is the handicap to the mind and its understanding?

How does the mind reconcile such conflicts? Acceptance? Rejection? Or a non-literal distortion?

The UB teaches us that such mental and conceptual conflict is normal and important to progress. That learning requires the nimbleness of mind to face change in facts and meanings and beliefs and perspective. That we must be willing to transcend perceptions and beliefs to grow. The UB teaches that a lack of knowledge (ignorance) plus loyalty to existing beliefs (prejudice) are the chief inhibitors to growth. We are all ignorant to a great degree regarding universe realities. To be willing to learn and set aside preconceptions and prejudice is the only method we have of overcoming that ignorance.

When the authors contradict what we believe, are we willing to reconsider our subjective perspective we know is based on speculation and lack of knowledge? Or do we claim that content is not written to be taken literally? Isn't there greater intellectual honesty and integrity to merely say we disagree and do not accept or believe that which contradicts our own preconceptions rather than to ridiculously claim that this and that is written literally but that and this is not?

Agree or disagree. We are free to choose. Agree with this and that and disagree with that and this. But the authors of these Papers claim them to be written as clearly as possible to impart knowledge of reality for the purpose of reducing confusions and eliminating errors. It is not a book of fairy tales or metaphors or hidden keys or only for those of great intellect and education. It is a text book of knowledge and a guide book to the cosmos of our source and destiny...or so it specifically and redundantly claims to be.

Believe it or not....but please do not endlessly claim it doesn't say what it does or it does says what it doesn't. It says what it says. Literally. Ignorance and prejudice are the real handicaps in our approach to this book of knowledge.

The UB offers much to consider related to our loyalty and love of our own preconceptions and beliefs - or "prejudice":

https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... rch=Search

The good news is that faith overcomes the retardant and obstacle of prejudice and those preconceptions and false beliefs to which we remain so devoted. But such prejudice diminishes the value of the factual presentations of reality provided by epochal revelation as it distorts it into some conforming confirmation of our own prior beliefs...literally.

Those who hope to create or "share" confusions of their own regarding the UB and claim such confusion is due to the need to not read or accept the UB as a literal presentation of fact and truth but as a mysterious "multitudinous" or metaphorical code book is merely the protrayal of personal prejudice. No matter how exhaustive a defense of that proposition may be provided....or so I think.

8)