Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:44 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Hello,

I wanted to let you know that a new search engine is now accessible to everyone at the following URL:

http://urantiaexplorer.org/

It has the following features:

1. The Urantia Book represented in 23 texts in 19 languages (including the English originals of course).

2. The site interface is currently implemented in three languages (English, Russian and Ukrainian).

3. Search engine (more advanced than those previously available, press F1 to see the types of queries you can give)

4. Browsing the text with hierarchical Table of Contents navigation.

5. Optionally synchronise the scrolling in the text columns (I personally turn it off via Settings but someone may like it).

6. The text fontsize configurable via Settings.

7. Each column (both the textual and the auxiliary ones) can be hidden individually and the choice is remembered via cookies and local storage.

8. The project is opensource and the full source code is available in our github repository here: https://github.com/tigran123/urantia-book-explorer

9. Text animations, showing shorter search results context and site theme/skin can also be modified by the user via Settings.

10. Study notes hyperlinked from the main text (currently implemented only in the British Study Edition text and the Russian UF text).

If you have any comments and suggestions, please raise an issue on the project's github page or just email me (the address is in the Contacts section).

Blessings,
Tigran

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Really cool app! Thanks for sharing. And the notes section is especially intriguing.

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
Really cool app! Thanks for sharing. And the notes section is especially intriguing.

Thank you, brother. If you enter "morontia* bank*" in the search field you will find 112:3.2 where the phrase "morontially bankrupt" occurs and then if you click on the "(0)" study note hyperlink it will show you a possible explanation of the term "morontia" based on my finding. I thought you might find this interesting, based on your comment in one of the threads.

Also, I forgot to mention that there are illustrations embedded in the text as well (I don't consider illustrations very important, so I forgot to mention it :)

Btw, you can enter "112:3.2" in the search field to go directly to a desired paragraph in the text without having to contact the server, i.e. this operation is done locally, in JavaScript.

Another thing that you specifically may find interesting (with your interest in exact numbers and physical/mathematical properties etc) is 41:3.2. If you go to that text (having British and American texts in the two parallel columns, btw, click on the blue text marker to synchronise the texts manually) and carefully compare the British and American texts (and also read the note (2) carefully) you will discover the actual reason for the "discrepancy" between the ratio of diameters and volumes apparently contradicting the V=4/3 pi R^3 formula of Euclidean geometry. There are quite a few such findings throughout the text which I have researched and presented on the weekly study group meetings we had since last December (the video recordings (in Russian) are available here: http://www.bibles.org.uk/seminars.html) UPDATE: I've just realised that the note at 41:3.2 is very brief and assumes that one has carefully studied the 2-hour presentation I gave on this subject some time ago (available on Youtube, but unfortunately in Russian). So that is perhaps a bad example. Anyway, there are plenty of easier examples where everything is sufficiently self-explanatory.

PostPosted:  

Will it ever be available for download? (in the event the reader loses internet connection)

tigran.aivazian wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:

Thank you, brother. If you enter "morontia* bank*" in the search field you will find 112:3.2 where the phrase "morontially bankrupt" occurs and then if you click on the "(0)" study note hyperlink it will show you a possible explanation of the term "morontia" based on my finding. I thought you might find this interesting, based on your comment in one of the threads.

Also, I forgot to mention that there are illustrations embedded in the text as well (I don't consider illustrations very important, so I forgot to mention it :)

Btw, you can enter "112:3.2" in the search field to go directly to a desired paragraph in the text without having to contact the server, i.e. this operation is done locally, in JavaScript.

Another thing that you specifically may find interesting (with your interest in exact numbers and physical/mathematical properties etc) is 41:3.2. If you go to that text (having British and American texts in the two parallel columns, btw, click on the blue text marker to synchronise the texts manually) and carefully compare the British and American texts (and also read the note (2) carefully) you will discover the actual reason for the "discrepancy" between the ratio of diameters and volumes apparently contradicting the V=4/3 pi R^3 formula of Euclidean geometry. There are quite a few such findings throughout the text which I have researched and presented on the weekly study group meetings we had since last December (the video recordings (in Russian) are available here: http://www.bibles.org.uk/seminars.html) UPDATE: I've just realised that the note at 41:3.2 is very brief and assumes that one has carefully studied the 2-hour presentation I gave on this subject some time ago (available on Youtube, but unfortunately in Russian). So that is perhaps a bad example. Anyway, there are plenty of easier examples where everything is sufficiently self-explanatory.

PostPosted:  

Checking out the math properties you pointed out.

tigran.aivazian wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:

PostPosted:  

I cant seem to click on "0". Are you sure that feature is available?

tigran.aivazian wrote:
brooklyn_born wrote:

PostPosted:  

Concerning your questions:

1. Will it be available for download? Yes, the main core of this work ("The British Study Edition of the Urantia Papers") has been available for download since 2011 from http://www.bibles.org.uk/study-edition.html. Select the PDF that matches the size of the screen of your device closely. But if you are asking "can I run the Urantia Book Explorer web application locally?" then the answer is also yes (that is how I and other developers do). But you need to install php and apache2 on your local machine (preferably Linux, though one of the developers is running Windows) and then install Urantia Book Explorer from the github repository. All the components are freely downloadable, so you can do this with a bit of technical knowledge (of running your own web server).

2. "Can't click on (0)" issue. The most likely reason is that your currently active text was not "English: British Study Edition". Select it from the list of texts and make sure its column has a blue border in the header (this indicates "active column"). To activate a column either click on its corresponding colour button "1,2,3,4" or click anywhere in its header. Also, make sure that the "NOTES" column is visible (you may have closed it accidentally by clicking on its 'x' in the top right corner).

PostPosted:  

Thanks!

tigran.aivazian wrote:
Concerning your questions:

1. Will it be available for download? Yes, the main core of this work ("The British Study Edition of the Urantia Papers") has been available for download since 2011 from http://www.bibles.org.uk/study-edition.html. Select the PDF that matches the size of the screen of your device closely. But if you are asking "can I run the Urantia Book Explorer web application locally?" then the answer is also yes (that is how I and other developers do). But you need to install php and apache2 on your local machine (preferably Linux, though one of the developers is running Windows) and then install Urantia Book Explorer from the github repository. All the components are freely downloadable, so you can do this with a bit of technical knowledge (of running your own web server).

2. "Can't click on (0)" issue. The most likely reason is that your currently active text was not "English: British Study Edition". Select it from the list of texts and make sure its column has a blue border in the header (this indicates "active column"). To activate a column either click on its corresponding colour button "1,2,3,4" or click anywhere in its header. Also, make sure that the "NOTES" column is visible (you may have closed it accidentally by clicking on its 'x' in the top right corner).