Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Numerology is, among other things, "numerical patterns."

In UB many of the narratives on divinity, cosmology history utilize number patterns. By definition, this is numerology.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Quote:
36:2.11 (397.11) The number ten—the decimal system—is inherent in the physical universe but not in the spiritual. The domain of life is characterized by three, seven, and twelve or by multiples and combinations of these basic numbers. There are three primal and essentially different life plans, after the order of the three Paradise Sources and Centers, and in the universe of Nebadon these three basic forms of life are segregated on three different types of planets. There were, originally, twelve distinct and divine concepts of transmissible life. This number twelve, with its subdivisions and multiples, runs throughout all basic life patterns of all seven superuniverses. There are also seven architectural types of life design, fundamental arrangements of the reproducing configurations of living matter. The Orvonton life patterns are configured as twelve inheritance carriers. The differing orders of will creatures are configured as 12, 24, 48, 96, 192, 384, and 768. On Urantia there are forty-eight units of pattern control—trait determiners—in the sex cells of human reproduction.

PostPosted:  

However, there is also this:

Quote:
12:9.2 (141.3) Love is the secret of beneficial association between personalities. You cannot really know a person as the result of a single contact. You cannot appreciatingly know music through mathematical deduction, even though music is a form of mathematical rhythm. The number assigned to a telephone subscriber does not in any manner identify the personality of that subscriber or signify anything concerning his character.
12:9.3 (141.4) Mathematics, material science, is indispensable to the intelligent discussion of the material aspects of the universe, but such knowledge is not necessarily a part of the higher realization of truth or of the personal appreciation of spiritual realities. Not only in the realms of life but even in the world of physical energy, the sum of two or more things is very often something more than, or something different from, the predictable additive consequences of such unions. The entire science of mathematics, the whole domain of philosophy, the highest physics or chemistry, could not predict or know that the union of two gaseous hydrogen atoms with one gaseous oxygen atom would result in a new and qualitatively superadditive substance—liquid water. The understanding knowledge of this one physiochemical phenomenon should have prevented the development of materialistic philosophy and mechanistic cosmology.

PostPosted:  

I was searching for this literally! But it's been such a while since I have read it. It is a clear example of numerology in TUB; numerical patterns interwoven into creation.

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Quote:
36:2.11 (397.11) The number ten—the decimal system—is inherent in the physical universe but not in the spiritual. The domain of life is characterized by three, seven, and twelve or by multiples and combinations of these basic numbers. There are three primal and essentially different life plans, after the order of the three Paradise Sources and Centers, and in the universe of Nebadon these three basic forms of life are segregated on three different types of planets. There were, originally, twelve distinct and divine concepts of transmissible life. This number twelve, with its subdivisions and multiples, runs throughout all basic life patterns of all seven superuniverses. There are also seven architectural types of life design, fundamental arrangements of the reproducing configurations of living matter. The Orvonton life patterns are configured as twelve inheritance carriers. The differing orders of will creatures are configured as 12, 24, 48, 96, 192, 384, and 768. On Urantia there are forty-eight units of pattern control—trait determiners—in the sex cells of human reproduction.

PostPosted:  

But is the reverse true, that being, personality [type] identifies what number should be assigned to it?

I am throwing that out there for critical thinking's sake.

Agon D. Onter wrote:
However, there is also this:

Quote:
12:9.2 (141.3) Love is the secret of beneficial association between personalities. You cannot really know a person as the result of a single contact. You cannot appreciatingly know music through mathematical deduction, even though music is a form of mathematical rhythm. The number assigned to a telephone subscriber does not in any manner identify the personality of that subscriber or signify anything concerning his character.
12:9.3 (141.4) Mathematics, material science, is indispensable to the intelligent discussion of the material aspects of the universe, but such knowledge is not necessarily a part of the higher realization of truth or of the personal appreciation of spiritual realities. Not only in the realms of life but even in the world of physical energy, the sum of two or more things is very often something more than, or something different from, the predictable additive consequences of such unions. The entire science of mathematics, the whole domain of philosophy, the highest physics or chemistry, could not predict or know that the union of two gaseous hydrogen atoms with one gaseous oxygen atom would result in a new and qualitatively superadditive substance—liquid water. The understanding knowledge of this one physiochemical phenomenon should have prevented the development of materialistic philosophy and mechanistic cosmology.

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
I was searching for this literally! But it's been such a while since I have read it. It is a clear example of numerology in TUB; numerical patterns interwoven into creation.

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Quote:

I have to agree that it does look that way. However, I'm not 100% sure this is the same thing as "numerology". I see patterns of numbers, but I don't see anything that fits the Merriam Webster definition of numerology: "the study of the occult significance of numbers".

Other dictionaries define "numerology" as: "the study of numbers, as the figures designating the year of one's birth, to determine their supposed influence on one's life, future, etc."

So I am not on board with TUB containing information about "numerology" as currently defined. But I AM on board with TUB containing much that seems to indicate that numbers, and patterns of numbers, are prevalent in the cosmos.

PostPosted:  

As I often do, I check to see if the Truthbook website has an article on the question. And, it does!

https://truthbook.com/urantia/faq/numer ... -astrology

Again, that article is just the opinion of the website author, but I tend to agree with their opinion in this case.

PostPosted:  

It is within the context of number patterns I associate TUB with numerology. To me, nothing in the revelations indicates divination. Admittedly I will concede that I am using the term numerology loosely. But the thrust of my argument is number patterns exist in TUB.

Agon D. Onter wrote:

I have to agree that it does look that way. However, I'm not 100% sure this is the same thing as "numerology". I see patterns of numbers, but I don't see anything that fits the Merriam Webster definition of numerology: "the study of the occult significance of numbers".

Other dictionaries define "numerology" as: "the study of numbers, as the figures designating the year of one's birth, to determine their supposed influence on one's life, future, etc."

So I am not on board with TUB containing information about "numerology" as currently defined. But I AM on board with TUB containing much that seems to indicate that numbers, and patterns of numbers, are prevalent in the cosmos.

PostPosted:  

To be clear, the answer to the question posed as title of this topic is....NO!!!!!!!

=; :!: :roll: :? 8)

Only someone who does not believe what the UB actually says and teaches (who claim it it is just another book for example) might think the Papers support or confirm the primitive superstition of numerology. Good grief.

PostPosted:  

Well, not only that, but he concedes that number patterns alone are not numerology, by definition. But still claims to be using the term "numerology" "loosely".

That would be like a restaurant saying is serving you a "sandwich" but all they give you on the plate is a pile of bologna! :badgrin:

PostPosted:  

It irks you that you cannot force your understanding of TUB on everyone doesn't it? Frustrated? :lol: :badgrin:

fanofVan wrote:
To be clear, the answer to the question posed as title of this topic is....NO!!!!!!!

Only someone who does not believe what the UB actually says and teaches (who claim it it is just another book for example) might think the Papers support or confirm the primitive superstition of numerology. Good grief.

PostPosted:  

Since it seems you are oblivious to using terms loosely, see below.

:roll:

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Well, not only that, but he concedes that number patterns alone are not numerology, by definition. But still claims to be using the term "numerology" "loosely".

That would be like a restaurant saying is serving you a "sandwich" but all they give you on the plate is a pile of bologna! :badgrin:

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
It irks you that you cannot force your understanding of TUB on everyone doesn't it? Frustrated? :lol: :badgrin:

fanofVan wrote:

As a literalist myself, I tend to rely very little on interpretation. My understanding comes by a literal reading and acceptance of what the authors wrote...I let the UB speak for itself. No need to force literalism on most sincere students as the UB is clear and redundant. I also do not require others believe what the UB says....but it does help if they do believe the UB does actually say what it actually does say!!

Your beliefs on the other hand require explanations and persuasion for anyone else to understand or accept. Good luck with that.

8)

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
Since it seems you are oblivious to using terms loosely, see below.

:roll:

I can't help but notice every time you accuse me of not knowing what something means, you are not able to explain the meaning of the term using your own words, you always have to *look it up* and then paste a screenshot or gif rather than explain your own understanding of the terms. :badgrin:

BTW "oblivious" means to not be aware of something. Clearly, I am aware of using words "loosely" since I am the one who commented on it. :roll:

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
I can't help but notice every time you accuse me of not knowing what something means, you are not able to explain the meaning of the term using your own words, you always have to *look it up* and then paste a screenshot or gif rather than explain your own understanding of the terms. :badgrin:

I do so to remove bias. I post independent sources and allow for you to see yourself without my interpretation or spin.

Quote:
BTW "oblivious" means to not be aware of something. Clearly, I am aware of using words "loosely" since I am the one who commented on it. :roll:

I said I used it "loosely" (to which you commented) and that should have been sufficient. Apparently it was not, which made no sense to me as it was self evident in the word. So, to me, it called into question whether you understood its meaning.