Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:28 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

"2 million year old Tools found Outside Africa, Rewriting Human Story!! "

"New evidence suggests that our ancient cousins left the continent much earlier than thought.

Modern humans' distant relatives left Africa earlier than previously thought—rewriting a key chapter in humankind's epic prequel, according to a discovery unveiled on Wednesday in Nature.

Nearly a hundred stone tools found at the Shangchen site in central China may push back the spread of our ancient cousins—hominins—out of Africa by more than a quarter million years."

How does it jibe with Urantia Book timeline? Go to following: link

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

well the papers tell us that stone tool making predates the first humans and the earliest tools of this type are associated with australopithicus which has never been directly connected to the earliest homo species anyway

i'm not really seeing it in this case though...the "chopper" lacks a cutting edge, no percussion points on the platform, no ripples in the flake scar and what would appear to be a pressure flaked retouched edge casts doubts on its origin since pressure flaking doesnt appear in the archeological record till homo erectus and the achulean tool set.

i'm not really seeing any flake scars on the quartzite "scraper".

probably river worn fractures and deposited by the same water flow that carved out the valley they're digging into the hill side of there.

we're seeing a lot of historical first claims coming out of china these days :D

PostPosted:  

Makalu wrote:
well the papers tell us that stone tool making predates the first humans and the earliest tools of this type are associated with australopithicus which has never been directly connected to the earliest homo species anyway

i'm not really seeing it in this case though...the "chopper" lacks a cutting edge, no percussion points on the platform, no ripples in the flake scar and what would appear to be a pressure flaked retouched edge casts doubts on its origin since pressure flaking doesnt appear in the archeological record till homo erectus and the achulean tool set.

i'm not really seeing any flake scars on the quartzite "scraper".

probably river worn fractures and deposited by the same water flow that carved out the valley they're digging into the hill side of there.

we're seeing a lot of historical first claims coming out of china these days :D

yea a lot of stuff coming out China. Doesn't TUB tell us that Asia is the cradle of humanity or something to that effect?

PostPosted:  

yeah andon and fonta were in the area of present day pakistan and the sangiks were just east of there. tools have been found in that area but no hominid bones...but its also not been excavated much compared to europe, africa and china. homo erectus is found to the east and west with basically concurrent dating and there's always been some debate about which direction the migration occured...perhaps when/if erectus is found in pakistan it will be dated oldest and fill in a missing piece of the puzzle

PostPosted:  

There are skeleton fragments classified as Homo Bergensis found in Spain, France, Germany and other places that are dated to around 1.2 million years. I'm not sure if the dating has been done with nearly as much rigor as is now common in Britain where the earliest "human" non-skeletal artifacts are dated to 980,000 years.

While earlier paleontologists differentiated Homo Bergensis from Homo Erectus, many today seem rather undecided about the claim from some that Homo Bergensis was derived from Homo Erectus.

PostPosted:  

yeah, just to be clarify, i'm not saying that andon and fonta were homo erectus or any other particular man-defined skeletal species and of course the current and future scientific definitions of "human" will never disclose the papers definition.

i think the search for a progressive chronological series of human evolution is falling to the wayside as they're finding more homo species and evidence of a great deal of intermixture and backmixture which is what the papers say happened.

i wasnt aware of a heidelberg man dated a million plus though....i was thinking bergensis might correspond with the earlier of the two neanderthal types mentioned in the papers?

PostPosted:  

Most paleontologists regard the Neanderthals to have existed about 500,000 years ago at the earliest and they believe they sprang from Heidelberg man or Homo erectus or Homo antecessor. For an apparently unexplained reason, most paleontologists make a distinction between Homo heidelbergensis and Homo antecessor who was also primarily found in Europe. I'm not aware of any DNA studies of Homo antecessor or Home heidelbergensis, though we have information for the Neanderthals and Denisovans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal
http://www.pnas.org/content/106/38/16022
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_antecessor