Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Make the old world new
PostPosted:  

How do we cope in a world of free will beings who so often choose to do evil? As one member of our community has frequently pointed out, we live in a world of serial killers, child abusers, tyrannical political leaders, prejudiced people, bigots, and all manner of unpleasant experiences. Rather than wishing to escape these problems, Jesus taught we have the power to "make the old world new". How do we do this?

With love. So, for example, we if hear about a serial killer in our neighborhood, rather than directing our energies toward quivering in a corner wallowing in feelings of helplessness and victimhood; we can choose to serve. Focus our attention on the children of those harmed by the evildoer. Exert energies in starting a fundraiser to support the young family; or bring hot meals to the emergency responders who help at the scene.

If, every time something bad happened in the world every single person chose to focus their energies on acts of love and service, rather than revenge, anger, and fear, I have no doubt we could bring Urantia a step or two closer to being settled in Light and Life. We cannot control what everybody does, but we can shine a light of our own.

In Jesus' farewell discourse to his apostles, he told them:

Quote:
180:1.5 (1945.2) If you would share the Master’s joy, you must share his love. And to share his love means that you have shared his service. Such an experience of love does not deliver you from the difficulties of this world; it does not create a new world, but it most certainly does make the old world new.

Try not to worry about being alone in your efforts to bring light and life into any dark situation that concerns you. Remember:

Quote:
195:5.12 (2076.3) As you view the world, remember that the black patches of evil which you see are shown against a white background of ultimate good. You do not view merely white patches of good which show up miserably against a black background of evil.

195:5.13 (2076.4) When there is so much good truth to publish and proclaim, why should men dwell so much upon the evil in the world just because it appears to be a fact? The beauties of the spiritual values of truth are more pleasurable and uplifting than is the phenomenon of evil.

What are your ideas for how we can engage in loving service to "make the old world new"?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

What a beautiful thread!!! One way I try to "make the old world new" is to try to love someone new every day. Like today, I was going home and this poor guy in a semi, he comes up on my ass, obviously wanting to get around me. Now, I was already going 50 in a 45 zone, so I was not real interested in racing forward to pass the 5 or 6 cars behind, beside and ahead of me, so I just kept going... So apparently this guy in the semi was in a real hurry so he passes me in the median! Flies on by at 60 or so. Jukes back in just forward of my bumper an hauls ass off into the distance. Amazing. So I got to thinking: this guy, he must have something terrible going on to pull this stunt. Real or imagined, he must be in a state to have to take such desperate action. So I smile to myself and just keep on going. Sometimes its better to try to put yourself in someones shoes rather than to get all bent.
At work, (I'm an Engineer at an aerospace outfit), I try to be almost perpetually sunny and nice to everyone. Our culture seems to promote cynicism, even at a young age, the "I've seen it all and its not getting any better" attitude is in vogue. So I buck the trend. I exude love and kindness to most everyone, which can really throw corporate America for a loop, let me tell you.
One of my favorite sayings in the UB is the one about being a tadpole. I definitely don't work too hard at spiritual growth. To me its a natural progression.

Life is all about timing. Sometimes its best to just let things sit awhile before springing into action.

PostPosted:  

I think there are three distinct ways to "make the old world new". First, like Al says....don't make it worse!! We all have the choice every day in every situation and circumstance how we respond to error, evil, and the anxieties, immaturities, impatience, self importance, and foolishness of others...and how much of those we contribute or impose or "share" with others - both!! We can make the old world new as we walk by....just by our own reaction and response mechanisms and reflexes!

Second: We can also make the old world new by actively engaging in loving service and ministry as we walk by - the good Samaritan outlook and proactive ministry....and we can actively support movements and causes and issues that help change our world and move the world toward Light and Life.

Third: By our own spiritualization and circle progress and by transferring the seat of our identity, we are changing our own personal perspective in profound ways - the paradigm shift of perception - by which the world in which we live changes by how we see it. I think Jesus saw the world far differently than any of the Apostles....or I do. Such an enlightened and spiritized person is also making the old world of prior perceptions and anxieties and fears and angers and immaturities and impatience into a new world simply with a progressively new attitude and perspective....are we seeing the light that is or the shadows of evil? They both exist and both are seen by each....however, each of us sees both in a different and personalized combination or result...which changes over time....no matter whether the world is different or not....our view of the world should change progressively based on our personal spiritization.

I've noticed for some, the doom and gloom never lessens or retreats. A pity for them.

So I think those are three distinct methods to consider.

8)