Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:04 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Big questions
PostPosted:  

Hello All,

I am opening a new discussion here as a way of attempting to include some of you folks who come by and visit, but who don't take part - for what ever reason. Some of you may be new readers of The Urantia Book, some of you may be curious about it, some of you may just enjoy reading the threads but not in commenting. I am not new here myself, but in a way, I am. Let me explain...

I am certainly not new to The Urantia Book. Big Blue and I have a long history - back to 1985. And I am not new to TruthBook. I have been on the TruthBook team for twelve years, helping to keep the website going with new content, among other things. When I first started at TruthBook, I used to come here to the Forum pretty regularly, but after a while I just faded away. Bnd I was not worried because the forum moderation has always been very ably and efficiently done by Larry Watkins - a name that some of you may recognize.

In February of this year, Larry "graduated" from Urantia and is on his way to a pretty glorious future (you can read about him in the "In Memoriam" section), but alas, the moderation of the Forum now had a vacuum. So I am now back and in this new position of being the moderator. I come here daily now, and mostly just read what people are saying, unless I have one of those burning desires to chime in. As moderator, I notice that there is a relatively small group who are regular contributors, and I wonder if there's a way to spark some interest so that more of you visitors who have not chosen to join in yet, might want to do so.

Also as moderator, it just seems to me, in looking over the list of topics in this general discussion category, that maybe we might try some very basic questions that people are concerned about, and asking for new input. I looked online for some guidance on subjects people are interested in that are definitely addressed in The UB, and I thought I'd suggest two possibles:

1. What is the Meaning of Life?
2. Who am I?

Truly Big Questions.

For this purpose today, I choose question #1: What is the Meaning of Life?

When I found The Urantia Book, that question always seemed to lurk in the back corners of my mind, but it was a daunting one, and one that required a lot of thought - something I was not used to doing, in the philosophical sense. And I did not really feel that I qualified to be thinking such deep questions. After all, I was not what I considered to be a "philosopher." Nor did I have a good spiritual mooring from which to form such thought.

But I was one of those "famished" souls that Jesus talks about:

Quote:
159:3.8 The world is filled with hungry souls who famish in the very presence of the bread of life; men die searching for the very God who lives within them. Men seek for the treasures of the kingdom with yearning hearts and weary feet when they are all within the immediate grasp of living faith. Faith is to religion what sails are to a ship; it is an addition of power, not an added burden of life. There is but one struggle for those who enter the kingdom, and that is to fight the good fight of faith. The believer has only one battle, and that is against doubt—unbelief.

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-159-the-decapolis-tour#U159_3_8

But after reading and studying for awhile - after finding other readers and going to study groups, I found my faith. And that really was the beginning of finding that answer to the meaning of life. I began to gain self-confidence and began to feel as though I really WAS qualified to think deep thoughts and have philosophical discussions with people. It was - and continues to be - heady stuff for me. And I love that the UB is so accessible to people from all walks of life, at all levels of comprehension and experience.

Today, I know that for me, one of the most important meanings of life is to find God - to reach up to him in faith and trust and then to feel that reassuring response in my mind and heart that says: "This is the way. Keep going." And I'm still going. The great thing is that there's never an end to the quest for God.

And this question of the meaning of life has come into much sharper focus since then. Now, when I look into the starry skies and watch the march of progress to find life elsewhere in the universe, I feel like I have a stake in it because of what I have learned through the revelation. I marvel at the statement of A Einstein who is reported to have said: "The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible." And The Urantia Book concurs with:

Quote:
1:6.7 To assume that the universe can be known, that it is intelligible, is to assume that the universe is mind made and personality managed. Man’s mind can only perceive the mind phenomena of other minds, be they human or superhuman. If man’s personality can experience the universe, there is a divine mind and an actual personality somewhere concealed in that universe.

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-1-the-universal-father#U1_6_7

Can any of you relate? What's YOUR take on the meaning of life and what you've learned (or want to learn) from The Urantia Book?

NOTE: I have suggested two topics here. If anyone wants to take on the second one - please start a new thread...OR start a thread with a topic of your own choosing!

Anyway...this is just by way of a little experiment of my own, hoping to spark discussion with some of you who may have felt shy up until now. Please know that you are welcome here.

MaryJo

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Big questions
PostPosted:  

My question is, what is meant by the action of the electronic organization of matter and all that follows from that, up to and including our self awareness? We must understand where we came from and how creation works. Linear gravity is at the center of it all. In my view it is linear gravity that gives this life meaning because without it creation would not exist. Without it human consciousness cannot live and love.

regards, gray

PostPosted:  

I believe the meaning of life is gain experience (bad or good) and accumulate knowledge (factual or pseudo). I draw my understanding of this from both the Bible and Urantia.

PostPosted:  

Thanks for your responses...
Graybear, yours is one I've never heard before about the meaning of life. Are you saying you want to understand linear gravity before you can give real meaning to your life, or life in general?

PostPosted:  

Your first question is selfish. What I mean is this, I can answer it but it's not the answer you will easily accept because what you really meant by the question was "What is the meaning of MY life?"

The meaning of life is so God can have many varied personality experiences.

The meaning of your life is so God can experience your unique personality.

You do not have to cure cancer or hit a lot of home runs. You do not even have to make it to heaven. You do not have to do anything at all. Buddha sat under a tree. You choose your purpose.

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
What is the Meaning of Life?

MaryJo, I think you've asked the most difficult question of all. Not because we are without answers but because it is very difficult to say something substantial and meaningful or that is on par with the exquisite terminology and ideals the revelators have left us. Afterall, they took about 2000 pages to sketch out what they feel we should consider about the meaning of life and how God and nearly all of the beings of the universes are there to help support "the meaning of life".

A friend who knew he was going to die in a few months once spontaneously talked about the meaning of life. He didn't reveal at that time that he was going to die. He claimed that friends and community were the vehicle or arena for the meaning of life. In reflection he probably understood that the experience of fraternity and being of service to others encompasses the meaning of life. As students of this new revelation we know that clearly and how fraternity and being of service in its utmost means drawing close to the father of all through his indwelling spirit and following the way it leads us.

PostPosted:  

Funny to think that even by using the word "meaning" we attempt to control the discussion. We have to ask the author of life what he intended it to mean. His answer seems to indicate a different direction of discovery.

The following has always been my idea of the Urantia Book's answer to that question.

Quote:
100:2.5 Actual spiritual status is the measure of Deity attainment, Adjuster attunement. The achievement of finality of spirituality is equivalent to the attainment of the maximum of reality, the maximum of Godlikeness. Eternal life is the endless quest for infinite values.

So, I have wondered; is the fact that it doesn't say anything about "meaning" here because "meaning" isn't really eternally relevant to anything? God's Eternal Value is what we are to seek, not God's eternal meaning. Meaning is self oriented, it is a discovery of my personal experience that changes as I grow. Value is divine, eternal, infinite, it is real. So maybe the question needs to be changed. What is the value of life?

Therefore, meanings are transient; they are the building blocks of my personal comprehension of my experiences I use to attain an appreciation of God's value. Once I do that I move on to the next project and repeat it. Meanings are like scaffolding, then. We use them and discard them, replacing them with enhanced version each time we identify a new value of God within our beings. The deeper we look into our inner beings, the more obvious this process becomes.

At least this is my observation of how it works.

Jim

PostPosted:  

In other words Jim, the "meaning of life" is to continually discover and live new meanings and values?

PostPosted:  

Exactly, Riktare, exactly!

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Exactly, Riktare, exactly!

But some beings never make it to heaven so what is the meaning of their life then?

PostPosted:  

Jim says above: "So, I have wondered; is the fact that it doesn't say anything about "meaning" here because "meaning" isn't really eternally relevant to anything? God's Eternal Value is what we are to seek, not God's eternal meaning. Meaning is self oriented, it is a discovery of my personal experience that changes as I grow. Value is divine, eternal, infinite, it is real. So maybe the question needs to be changed. What is the value of life?

Therefore, meanings are transient; they are the building blocks of my personal comprehension of my experiences I use to attain an appreciation of God's value. Once I do that I move on to the next project and repeat it. Meanings are like scaffolding, then. We use them and discard them, replacing them with enhanced version each time we identify a new value of God within our beings. The deeper we look into our inner beings, the more obvious this process becomes.

At least this is my observation of how it works."

But meaning IS really eternally relevant to everything!! Mind IS meaning. There is no value without meaning....first! Meaning is not self oriented...it is other oriented...and sometimes some meanings may be oriented in relation to self...but certainly not always! There are absolute and eternal meanings...and mind seeks for them.

It would appear that Jim is back in the opinion business!! Bravo....hahahahaha.

5:4.4 [Part I]
The domains of philosophy and art intervene between the nonreligious and the religious activities of the human self. Through art and philosophy the material-minded man is inveigled into the contemplation of the spiritual realities and universe values of eternal meanings.

9:0.4 [Part I]
Throughout the universes the agencies of the Conjoint Actor ceaselessly manipulate the forces and energies of all space. Like the First Source and Center, the Third is responsive to both the spiritual and the material. The Conjoint Actor is the revelation of the unity of God, in whom all things consist — things, meanings, and values; energies, minds, and spirits.

9:4.5 [Part I]
Cosmic force responds to mind even as cosmic mind responds to spirit. Spirit is divine purpose, and spirit mind is divine purpose in action. Energy is thing, mind is meaning, spirit is value. Even in time and space, mind establishes those relative relationships between energy and spirit which are suggestive of mutual kinship in eternity.

14:4.22 [Part I]
Havona teems with the life of all phases of intelligent beings, who there seek to advance from lower to higher circuits in their efforts to attain higher levels of divinity realization and enlarged appreciation of supreme meanings, ultimate values, and absolute reality.

Key word search for meaning and meanings:

https://urantia-association.org/search/ ... t%5B%5D=-1

To seek values without meanings is a functional impossibility!

8)

PostPosted:  

Bradley,

While I realize I am not always clear in what I attempt to convey, in this case I believe you would have been much more effective in your response had you merely said that you didn't understand what I said. I say that because the primary point you objected to is in fact the exact thing I said, or at least intended to say. A simple question would have been in order had you truly intended to assist the common understanding.

Further, none of the quotations you supplied even remotely address the issue I was commenting on or your intended rebuke. I am under the impression that you are one who intends scholarship of the revelation. I sometimes wish there was no search engine capability so we each would have to actually do the work of learning the meanings we derive from our explorations in the Urantia Book.

Again, please Bradley, stop with the attacks. You seem so ready to prove me wrong on issues that you even argue when there is agreement.

Please!

Jim

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Bradley,

While I realize I am not always clear in what I attempt to convey, in this case I believe you would have been much more effective in your response had you merely said that you didn't understand what I said. I say that because the primary point you objected to is in fact the exact thing I said, or at least intended to say. A simple question would have been in order had you truly intended to assist the common understanding.

Further, none of the quotations you supplied even remotely address the issue I was commenting on or your intended rebuke. I am under the impression that you are one who intends scholarship of the revelation. I sometimes wish there was no search engine capability so we each would have to actually do the work of learning the meanings we derive from our explorations in the Urantia Book.

Again, please Bradley, stop with the attacks. You seem so ready to prove me wrong on issues that you even argue when there is agreement.

Please!

Jim

What an excellent example of the importance of meaning!!

So I evidently misunderstood your meaning when you inquired:

"...meaning isn't really eternally relevant to anything?"

And then you did not understand the quotes I posted which spoke of "eternal meaning" and "supreme meanings" as being relevant to your question? Or the relevance that the unity of God includes "things, meanings, and values"?

Actually I thought I did understand what you claimed. But it is obvious that you also do not understand what I am saying or you would not so defensively feel attacked and further victimized. The quotes I posted were not intended as a "rebuke" but as contrast to your declarative statements of opinion (yes, opinions still and again...bravo!). One of which is that all meaning is transitory and none of it is eternal or supreme - thus my selection of quotes which contradict such claims.

Another reason I thought I did understand your meaning is that this is the second time recently where you said something very similar - from another current and trending topic, you said: "My attempt in these endeavors is to seek reality by recognition of value rather than by understanding of meaning. Spiritual reveals value while intellectual only reveals meaning."

And I replied:

100:2.2 [Part III]
Spiritual growth is first an awakening to needs, next a discernment of meanings, and then a discovery of values. The evidence of true spiritual development consists in the exhibition of a human personality motivated by love, activated by unselfish ministry, and dominated by the wholehearted worship of the perfection ideals of divinity. And this entire experience constitutes the reality of religion as contrasted with mere theological beliefs.

Me here: Indeed...we may NOT discover values without discerning meanings....first.

I don't think we "discard" meanings...we enhance and add to and deepen and broaden and by experience and wisdom enlarge and expand them....not discard them. Meanings and values are inherently linked we are told. I'm quite sure I understood what you claim Jim. I even agree with some of it like the "enhance version" description....hardly the same as to "discard them" term in the same sentence.

I do hope you take your own advice though and ask a question when you do not understand my meaning....like why did I choose those quotes specifically? How do they apply to your post? For they clearly do so. But you did not recognize the meaning....yes, meaning is so important and must come prior to any realization of values.

I did not attack you Jim...I disagreed with you. And spelled out how and why I disagreed with you...twice now on this same claim. Will you now assume every disagreement an attack? Hoping for a better understanding of your meaning to gain some value thereby. Thanks.

Bradly 8)

PostPosted:  

Maryjo began this topic and discussion seeking for those voices who do not regularly post but I too would add my reflections on the questions.

For me both ask for the same answer in my own life. The meaning of life, to me, is God's sharing of the glory and endless wonder of BEING with others. So the meaning of my life is the sharing of being with the source of my being...I share my wonder and awe and smallness and helplessness and childlike glee of my life with God and God shares his strength and love and kindness and protection and assurance with me.

It took me a long time to discover this meaning....and the value within that meaning. And since its discovery, I have been filled by a growing confidence that this love of God I feel is a universal embrace and that we do indeed live in a friendly universe in which all troubles, trials, tribulations, suffering, and fear fade and melt away when and to the degree that we recognize this reality and learn to become one family in God's creation.

So from meaning...we move to the purpose of life....which we are taught is simply the sharing of the meaning with others...to give that which we receive from God and learn the meanings and the values discovered and discerned thereby. Who I am is an expression of being - a unique perspective and experience of being - an individual self amongst trillions and trillions of other personalities of experiential perspective and expression and each of us gives to God something important - the experiences of wonder and growth and the creation of potential and realization of potential...the experience of perfecting which arises from perfection....the experience of adventure and glory of uncertainty!!!

:wink: :idea: 8)

PostPosted:  

Hi, first time poster, but long time reader of the TUB here.

As I understand it, the meaning of life is synonymous to God's eternal plan. I imagine that part of the plan is God's desire to be known and to share his infinity with his children. If this is all, I don't know, but it certainly is enough for us, His children, to keep us occupied for an eternity.

On a smaller scale, the meaning of life as mortal beings is probably still to strive to know God on the finite, material level. To begin to sense His love and then to begin to realise our place in the universe and in relation to its inhabitants, to realise the reality of cosmic brotherhood and to radiate God's love to our fellows. All these steps will inevitably lead to the realisation of our participation in the evolution of the Supreme which enhances the meaning of life profoundly.

Alex