Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:36 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Quote:
57:5.13.While Angona was unable to capture any of the solar mass, your sun did add to its metamorphosing planetary family some of the circulating space material of the visiting system. Due to the intense gravity field of Angona, its tributary planetary family pursued orbits of considerable distance from the dark giant; and shortly after the extrusion of the solar system ancestral mass and while Angona was yet in the vicinity of the sun, three of the major planets of the Angona system swung so near to the massive solar system ancestor that its gravitational pull, augmented by that of the sun, was sufficient to overbalance the gravity grasp of Angona and to permanently detach these three tributaries of the celestial wanderer.

57:5.14.All of the solar system material derived from the sun was originally endowed with a homogeneous direction of orbital swing, and had it not been for the intrusion of these three foreign space bodies, all solar system material would still maintain the same direction of orbital movement. As it was, the impact of the three Angona tributaries injected new and foreign directional forces into the emerging solar system with the resultant appearance of retrograde motion. Retrograde motion in any astronomic system is always accidental and always appears as a result of the collisional impact of foreign space bodies. Such collisions may not always produce retrograde motion, but no retrograde ever appears except in a system containing masses which have diverse origins.

When I first read this years ago now, I presumed (using my juvenile scientific mind) that the author's reference to "retrograde motion" was refering to the orbits of some of the solar system's satellite's (or their moon's) around the sun (or planet) are in a reverse direction than the typical direction of the others. Counterclockwise in other words. I presumed that they were referring to the far distant outer orbiting planets like Pluto or other planets beyond, that astronomers still haven't discovered. The permanently detached three tributaries of the celestial wanderer (Angona).

"Retrograde motion" as currently defined by scientists, is apparently an optical illusion based on the position of the earth relative to the planet being observed isn't it? And not a reverse or counterwise orbit.

I would appreciate any feedback. Are there any moons (or planets) revolving around their host sphere in our solar system, orbiting in a counterwise direction than the other spheres in their respective systems?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I've found the answer to my own question. Once again, science and the UB agree.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Retrograde motion is motion in the direction opposite to the movement of something else and the contrary of direct or prograde motion. This motion can be the orbit of one body about another body or about some other point, or the rotation of a single body about its axis, or other phenomena such as precession or nutation of the axis. In reference to celestial systems, retrograde motion usually means motion that is contrary to the rotation of the primary, that is, the object that forms the system's hub. Rotation is determined with respect to an inertial frame of reference, such as distant fixed stars.

In our Solar System, all of the planets and most of the other objects that orbit the Sun, with the exception of many comets, do so in the "prograde" direction, i.e. the same sense as the rotation of the Sun. In addition, the rotations of most planets are prograde, with the exceptions of Venus and Uranus, which have retrograde rotations. Most satellites of planets revolve around their planets in the prograde sense. (In the case of the satellites of Uranus, this means they revolve in the same sense as Uranus's rotation, which is retrograde relative to the Sun.) There are some satellites that orbit in the retrograde sense, but these are generally small and distant from their planets, except for Neptune's satellite Triton, which is large and close. It is thought that these retrograde satellites, including Triton, are bodies that have been captured into orbit around their planets, having been formed elsewhere.

Profile Send private message