Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:17 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I my honest attempts to truly discover the reality of my relationship with God, I have repeatedly attempted to describe what I see God doing in me. As an example I offer the following which I sent to a friend with whom I am exploring these things.

In the practice of the process of making decisions, comes the deliberate and willful activity of facing each and every pertinent fact relative to whatever problem is at hand. This deep and deliberate honesty is the revelation to ourselves of our sincerity to God and the point to which he acknowledges. So when we say God did something or other, we really mean that he touched us in our depth and in response to our faith on that particular issue. In other words, we line up the thoughts and feelings and plans and hopes and dreams and with our very best and most sincere desire present our ideals to God and he responds by validating that which he can. This validation comes in the form of a feeling of a sort that is not duplicatable by our will. So the fact is that God's "speaking" to us is really a deep sensory experience nearly impossible to define. It is unique in all reality. Only God can do such a thing. 

Then we are faced with part B. We have to make another decision. We have to acknowledge that it was he who contacted us with that feeling. We must believe that he is a rewarder of them who diligently seek him. This process is what is missing from religion. 

Jim

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
We have to acknowledge that it was he who contacted us with that feeling. We must believe that he is a rewarder of them who diligently seek him. This process is what is missing from religion. 

Perhaps this is true with organized religion, but not with personal true religion right?

Isn't it through recognizing God's rewards of our responses to the doing of his will that we become aware of the reality of how true religion works to benefit us and how it is different and superior to organized religion?

PostPosted:  

Nod,

I believe that is what I was saying except I think we must be careful not to focus on the idea that we are superior to organized religions. Learning to know God personally is, as the Urantia Book says, a personal experience, somewhat different for each of us but identifiable by each as the same divinely ordained procedure.

In the same sense, following Jesus, does not mean we have to go to Palestine, it means living as he lived, and that by practicing the process he showed us. We discover God in our own personal way by following the same path.

I am addressing that process in my conversation with my friend. He is not yet a Urantia Book reader, but he has found God for real and it is that which we have in common. It is wonderful to see how practicing the principles and process revealed in the Fifth Epochal Revelation transcend religions without condemning them.

Jim

PostPosted:  

The preceding comments were in relation to a conversation I have been having with a friend, as I said. The main discussion was focused on him asking me about the concept of whether his realization of God was an overt act of the Father or did he have anything to do with it. I was attempting to explain my personal experience with the idea and my discoveries. As I did the conversation became centered on our human decision making function and what that part plays in our growth. The following is my response to the function of decisions. This is my personal take on the whole thing.

We make thousands upon thousands of decisions in our lifetimes. It is by and through these decisions that we progress in the status as spirit beings (39:4.14). I was quite fortunate to begin my search for truth by not only making decisions as a natural habit, but by realizing the import of making spiritually relevant decisions. Early on I discovered that what I thought might be real was not a valuable as what I decided was real and acted upon. The prior allowed me to believe something might be true but the second practice turned belief into action and validated or invalidated that belief. I call it “coming to terms with things.”

This began a more conscious practice of making decisions. While these can be said to be decisions to believe, they are much more complex and more deeply involved than what we would normally perceive as simple belief. They were, and are even today, decisions to discover what in my conscious being is either facilitating spiritual confusion or enabling spiritual unity. My sincere desire is to discover God, point by point, issue by issue and value by value and as completely as I am able. I have discovered that the entire physical universe on the outside, as well as the Eternal and Infinite God, on the inside, is open to our gaze. From the outside and the inside, there is no part of creation where he says, “Whoa boy, don’t go there.” My Father’s house is my house as well, all of it.

Decisions are the key to progress. I decided to faith my way to new realizations and each time I made one I saw progress. Notice that I use faith as a verb. I learned that by doing it. I learned later from the Urantia Book that faith is the “method of religion” (101.2.2) of spiritual discovery. During the first few weeks of my search I followed a path of decisions. First, I decided to call the guidance I noticed in my inner being Spirit and I decided I wanted to get to know it better. Second, a couple of weeks later, I decided to ask for a more intimate term and was given “God”. I decided to accept and use that new word idea and in so doing I realized that my relationship with the spirit changed because of it; it became more real, deeper, and it became personal. Then, a few days later, I realized the name “God” wasn’t close enough either, and asked for something more. “Father” came to me. “Call me Father,” he said. When I decided to accept that term, everything changed, and was guided through a very intricate and detailed series of 3 mental picturizations, actual dioramas, where I consciously realized it was Jesus who was showing me these and I decided to follow him.

So, by a series of deliberate decisions, I was enabled to discover the reality of life. But there is another realization that I see as relevant. My desire to find out what was true was deliberately intended to be without a care or concern about what that discovery would make me do or become, though I did think about it. I decided not allow my mind to exercise the “what about me” syndrome. My thought was that if our first thought is “what about me” or “what do I get out of it”, we are already short circuited from the truth. The decision to ask those questions must be dealt with before we search. We have to trust that the truth and reality of God is sufficient to give us any and all things we may desire, albeit on his terms and timing rather than our own.

I want to step back for a moment and share more about decisions. I have thought long and hard about them, specifically, that we often don’t achieve our stated goals when we make decisions. Decisions are no more than the exercise of our subjective will power, our faith, usually based on something we only believe we know. In fact, the decision to accept a preponderance of evidence on any subject, simple or complex, requires a broad base of prerequisite acceptable assumptions be identified and analyzed. All of these assumptions and all of the analysis may be accepted and authorized as valid by us. Though, we may use the confidence generated by our analysis to justify a proper, we think, conclusion, it remains only a “best guess”. Regardless of the voracity of the supporting data, all decisions are subjective (faith) at this level. Proof, therefore, is in the cumulating experience of the beholder and even that is subject to misinterpretation.

That process is only one of many the mind authorizes to decipher the world around us. We seem to have a propensity to assign conclusions to things; a process which is usually thought of as helpful. It assists us in turning our lives from hypothetical to categorical, from subjective to objective; at least that is what we think it does. It helps us keep our proverbial feet on the ground. We feel that by making conclusions we are more stable. Most, if not all the time, these conclusions are premature. In fact, I have found, making conclusions is itself quite unnecessary and is a major cause of our confusions on all fronts. We are thoroughly capable of making decisions to proceed or retreat without basing them on conclusions and analytical results. Preponderance of evidence, including spiritual and emotional insights, is often quite sufficient to allow us to navigate life. 102.1.3 says, “The more of science you know, the less sure you can be; the more of religion you have, the more certain you are.”

But there is a way we can draw viable conclusions as long as we are inordinately careful in doing so. Personal spiritual experience authorizes such. Being careful not to assume a broader conclusion than is warranted by sanctified common sense, we are enabled to authorize real change within our soul and being resulting from the fact of spiritual experience, and as a validation of the reality of such. God enables us that privilege because he shares the experience with us and reflects the value of it to our inner consciousness. Our recognition of that value becomes our authority to decide to allow ourselves to be made into his image of reality. And he is the arbiter of real. If he says it’s real, it’s real. Nothing else, no one else, can say that.

So, with that in mind, I found myself on a road to discovery. I had adopted the (my) rules. First, no conclusions, only decisions; second, every error was my fault, no one else’s, I couldn’t fix it if it wasn’t my fault; third, no preset limitations, no boundaries on God; fourth, no fakes, only truth. How would I know that? I would rely on the yes/no from God for every issue. I would practice that until I get it right; until God says so. Lastly, I would try my best to live by each decision following these rules of conduct.

Now after practicing the process of discovery for nearly 50 years, including reading the Urantia Book since 1970, I can only say that my desire has increased as my results have become more and more regular. I am still trying to figure out what the Urantia Book means by some of the things it says and what the whole of the intense experiential events were for, but I press on. I am convinced that they were not accidental and, further, that they were in direct connection to the times we are living in. Our minds find many ways to divert our attention and the practice of learning to consciously experience God provides a great variety of unreal postulates. But as I have discovered battling false ideas and claims only delays real growth. Staying true to the path is the only short cut to growth.

So, my summation of all of this is as follows. From my earliest years, I have had a great drive to discover the reality of life. That desire is being fulfilled. God authenticated my path through a series of astounding super yet natural experiences which have caused my path to be hyper-focused on something many have not seemed to be interested in seeing. This drove me inward, deeper and deeper until I reached my human limit. Now I am on a re-direction, daily walking the whole thing backward from the depth to the surface. As I do, I realize new perspectives almost daily, and I realize that what is happening is earth changing. Somehow, what God has had me participate in will help him change the focus of mankind in a way he wants. Apparently, it is the real intent of the Fifth Epochal Revelation. It may be more appropriate to refer to the source of the guidance for this particular effort as Jesus, the Spirit of Truth. While God, the Father, my Thought Adjuster guides my inner life; Jesus guides my function on earth. Right or wrong, we can argue with that concept if we choose; but that is the way I personally see it.

What does this all mean? Good question. First, it means that there is a way for every soul on earth to come to the full and complete knowledge of a personal and actual living relationship with God. Each of us will have our own ideas of that but in spirit we would be unified because the source is one. The world would begin to change in a significant manner if a majority of earthlings began to realize they were the very ones God wanted to get to know and decided to both, allow and make, that happen. They need to be informed and they haven’t yet. That is apparently part of my job, our job as students of the Fifth Epochal Revelation; a part I know I haven’t done yet.

What stands in my way?

I am trying to find out, so I can get past it. I haven’t walked that far back yet, but I am working on it. Sometimes I feel like I am filling a bushel basket with one grain of rice at a time and wish I could grab hands full. But one grain at a time is God’s program. Each grain is a decision I must make. If I were to skip a few, I would build a soul with holes in it and that won’t do.

Is it God in us who makes us change or is it us, ourselves? I say, it is both, always. We are God’s very offspring and in the process of growing, his partners. We give him credit for all and he gives us credit for all we become. We must learn that, learn to accept that, and learn to seek that. The two parts of the Prime Directive describe it well. Love God with all our hearts, minds and souls, and Love each other person, individually, with the Love we experience as we discover our personal God. The first mile religionist loves God; the second mile religionist loves mankind as God does and gives his life for them as Jesus did.

Jim