Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 3:07 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: What is Assurance?
PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
Taken from Fanofvan quote at beginning of thread:

“Religion, the conviction-faith of the personality, can always triumph over the superficially contradictory logic of despair born in the unbelieving material mind. There really is a true and genuine inner voice, that "true light which lights every man who comes into the world." And this spirit leading is distinct from the ethical prompting of human conscience. The feeling of religious assurance is more than an emotional feeling. The assurance of religion transcends the reason of the mind, even the logic of philosophy. Religion is faith, trust, and assurance.”

Don’t know yet how to highlight in red yet but I would have included the last sentence that religion is faith, trust and assurance.
Assurance is like the feedback you get when your faith graduates to trust.
It’s in the same arena that the Agondonter must deal with.
In order to believe without seeing there must be something very profound about faith and trust in order to have that assurance of things to come in regard to survival and personal relationship with diety.
It must be at least or more powerful than scientific facts and I say more because the true scientists knows that the facts of today are subject to change, upgrade or being disproven.
There is something more solid about assurance in regard to faith and trust and religion, even though it cannot be proven by scientific method of today

The color pallete should appear to your right margin every time you open "Post a reply". Simply highlight the text you wish to colorize or modify by left clicking with your mouse and dragging over the text. While the text remains highlighted, simply center your mouse under/upon the color of choice and click...the highlighted text will colorize and you will see the codes but not the color itself until you post by hitting "Submit". You may also bold, italicize, and or underline above left any hightlighted text. When done just left click again to remove highlight and your done. I don't know how to do anything else myself but some here can post videos and graphics and other files. I just use links for that stuff. You could just ask a 10 year old...hahahaha! I need one to show me how to do the same on my so called smart phone...no doubt smarter than me!

As to your post...great points!! It is a feedback loop for sure and one which satisfies the brain and material beings as well as mind and soul....discovery and insight and assurance trigger bio/chemical responses of pleasure and reward and deliver a feeling of victory and happiness. There is definitive and immediate reward in the cycle of faith, truth, and assurance! We are taught that "survival assurance" is an elemental factor and ingredient to the faith and faith assurance realities of evolutionary religious experience delivered by the Holy Spirit and the Adjutants. And is also reinforced by the TA's truth delivery by personal revelation and truth assurance. Faith and truth are about eternal survival of the mortal. It is a gift of hope that transforms into faith that transforms into certainty through the 7 Circles of Tadpole Progression.

Thanks for the insight!! :idea: 8)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

"Associative structures" ... well I did not make a proper allusion to the Adamic protoype, here: 82:1.2"the associative imagination" which the Urantia Book mentions that I believe to be part of the rational thoughts processes. This is the idea that ideas do not originate in themselves, but in my own imagination "consist" of a series of "linked thoughts" associated patterns/images, and through the "crystallisation" of ideational patterns in this manner, arrive at some portrait. Associative imagination is a fluid process of the rationally thinking human individual. The Crystalisis occurs after enough concepts are linked together, and the pattern is unchallengable by further human rational attempts to alter its format. In this sense, I do believe scientifically humans can exhaust permutations for potential creationship.

What is the portrait it is a philosophical concept which exists in my own imagination. "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", the idea of human potential, and for every portrait within the thought processes (within the associative imagination), there are a number of finite possibilities that the directive of the human will may apply based on these known potentials. While still the directive of the human will must account for other unknown future finite potentials. I am trying to create life, through establishment of archetype identities, patched together by scientific premise and allowances for religious faith, whereby other personalities would "Don" these portraits whence I have erstwhile established for myself, in order that they might explain the eternal truth to me, in costume or in portrait.

While you may think that this is silly, you should also remember that Jesus, as early as a young child, imagined that God was "my father in heaven", having such a portrait of God as being likened unto an actual human father. And this is what I would imply also by portrait, is to harbour such a concept in one's own "associative imagination".

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
"Associative structures" ... well I did not make a proper allusion to the Adamic protoype, here: 82:1.2"the associative imagination" which the Urantia Book mentions that I believe to be part of the rational thoughts processes. This is the idea that ideas do not originate in themselves, but in my own imagination "consist" of a series of "linked thoughts" associated patterns/images, and through the "crystallisation" of ideational patterns in this manner, arrive at some portrait. Associative imagination is a fluid process of the rationally thinking human individual. The Crystalisis occurs after enough concepts are linked together, and the pattern is unchallengable by further human rational attempts to alter its format. In this sense, I do believe scientifically humans can exhaust permutations for potential creationship.

What is the portrait it is a philosophical concept which exists in my own imagination. "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", the idea of human potential, and for every portrait within the thought processes (within the associative imagination), there are a number of finite possibilities that the directive of the human will may apply based on these known potentials. While still the directive of the human will must account for other unknown future finite potentials. I am trying to create life, through establishment of archetype identities, patched together by scientific premise and allowances for religious faith, whereby other personalities would "Don" these portraits whence I have erstwhile established for myself, in order that they might explain the eternal truth to me, in costume or in portrait.

While you may think that this is silly, you should also remember that Jesus, as early as a young child, imagined that God was "my father in heaven", having such a portrait of God as being likened unto an actual human father. And this is what I would imply also by portrait, is to harbour such a concept in one's own "associative imagination".

Hmmmm…. I hope you might "associate" this post with the actual topic - "What is Assurance?"

What has your imagination and the things you imagine to do with the topic of assurance? And what has picturization and philosophical concepts have to do with assurance?

You posted prior "living associative structures"...but now have dropped living and here changed the structures to "associative imagination" to then list your own beliefs and metaphysical inventions regarding that....rather than relating the concept to the topic at hand.

You have now also changed the word "crystalisis" (which is not a word) to crystallization and then repeat the original non-word and still without definition- and you claimed earlier that "there is no such thing as reassurance since" I am "only offering intellectual crystalisis" - or is it crystallization - so confusing!!!... but did so without explanation of such a claim. Are you saying then that the Revelation does not speak of or encourage or promote assurance and reassurance? Or that the Spirits within do not do so? Or that I am not?

The quote 82:1.2 is related to the mating instinct and sex drive. You correlate it to the concept of God's paternal nature which is not a construct or associative - it simply is, it's a reality, not a concept by association of something else.

Actually I think your personal crystalisis is very challengeable and a fiction of your own imagination and invention and has nothing at all to do with the topic.

8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:48 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Back to the topic!!! Assurance of destiny and relationship and the friendly universe!!

This topic offers a wide variety of concepts and text which presents the many facets of assurance and the power that inner assurance provides to the pilgrims of time. We mortal tadpoles striving on the material worlds of our birth to unify and harmonize our dual natures and perspective of reality are given assurance from our very earliest days as mere children by our faith relationship and experience with the adjutants and Holy Spirit.

The impulses and urges innate in our very nature and this basic relationship with God nourishes the dependence upon God we have for happiness and fulfillment - spirit nature nourishment. No different from suckling milk at Mother's breast for the nurture of the biologic systems is the nourishing of the spirit. Assurance is part of the nutritional content, like vitamins or protein and other elements of nutrition, assurance delivers a very specific and critical functionality and response.

The bread of life and the living waters presented by Jesus are a metaphor perhaps but not really. I consider them more of a comparison to and parallel to that which nourishes the mortal being. We are dual natured and both natures have systems which require nourishment and which respond to nourishment by growth and progressive transformation. These dual natures provide many such parallels of similarity in patterns which reflect and reveal universe realities. As we grow, the nature and source of nourishment also progresses to feed that which is more mature and more demanding and more able to digest and to actualize into nourishment in more complex ways.

Likewise do poisons affect both our material and our spiritual natures and beings. We are given fair warning about mind poisons which cause blindness, stagnation, disability, pain, lack of growth, unhappiness, and can cause death if ingested sufficiently. These mind poisons are not unknown even before and outside of the Revelation. Most all are close cousins to fear and anxiety. Assurance is the antidote to these poisons and which, over time and with sufficient faith and spiritization, should result in being immune to both fear and anxiety. (Fear being specific to cause, incident, circumstance, and situation. Anxiety being more generalized as a condition or state of mind without need for any specific cause, incident, circumstance, or situration.)

This is the importance of assurance to the mortal tadpoles of time. For fear and anxiety are natural, evolutionary traits which are very beneficial and critical to the mortals of the earlier epochs for their very survival and even later deliver important survival benefits which only quick reactions and instincts can deliver. But the more civilized humanity becomes, the more fears and anxieties become unreasoned and dibilitating to personal and social progress. We become slaves to fear and anxiety. And the worry which comes thereby is a poison. And there is only one true antidote - assurance within. Peace of mind. Contentment. Confidence in ultimate outcomes. There is only one source of this one true antidote...God within.

Now I would quibble a bit with the Revelation. It says there is only one proof of spiritization and spiritual growth and that is the fruits of the Spirit. I would not quibble with this if that also likewise means that there is a lack of fear and anxiety. They should come as a package I think. Happiness and confidence, hand in hand. So if we seek evidence of the Spirit within in another....how much happiness and peace and contentment is there and how little anxiety and fear? We may not pretend either or any of these attributes and traits of spiritization.

Let us consider what the Master offers us on the matter:

181:1.8 (1954.5) A certain amount of both stoicism and optimism are serviceable in living a life on earth, but neither has aught to do with that superb peace which the Son of God bestows upon his brethren in the flesh. The peace which Michael gives his children on earth is that very peace which filled his own soul when he himself lived the mortal life in the flesh and on this very world. The peace of Jesus is the joy and satisfaction of a God-knowing individual who has achieved the triumph of learning fully how to do the will of God while living the mortal life in the flesh. The peace of Jesus’ mind was founded on an absolute human faith in the actuality of the divine Father’s wise and sympathetic overcare. Jesus had trouble on earth, he has even been falsely called the “man of sorrows,” but in and through all of these experiences he enjoyed the comfort of that confidence which ever empowered him to proceed with his life purpose in the full assurance that he was achieving the Father’s will.

181:1.9 (1954.6) Jesus was determined, persistent, and thoroughly devoted to the accomplishment of his mission, but he was not an unfeeling and calloused stoic; he ever sought for the cheerful aspects of his life experiences, but he was not a blind and self-deceived optimist. The Master knew all that was to befall him, and he was unafraid. After he had bestowed this peace upon each of his followers, he could consistently say, “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

181:1.10 (1955.1) The peace of Jesus is, then, the peace and assurance of a son who fully believes that his career for time and eternity is safely and wholly in the care and keeping of an all-wise, all-loving, and all-powerful spirit Father. And this is, indeed, a peace which passes the understanding of mortal mind, but which can be enjoyed to the full by the believing human heart.

100:2.7 (1096.4) Jesus portrayed the profound surety of the God-knowing mortal when he said: “To a God-knowing kingdom believer, what does it matter if all things earthly crash?” Temporal securities are vulnerable, but spiritual sureties are impregnable. When the flood tides of human adversity, selfishness, cruelty, hate, malice, and jealousy beat about the mortal soul, you may rest in the assurance that there is one inner bastion, the citadel of the spirit, which is absolutely unassailable; at least this is true of every human being who has dedicated the keeping of his soul to the indwelling spirit of the eternal God.

100:2.8 (1096.5) After such spiritual attainment, whether secured by gradual growth or specific crisis, there occurs a new orientation of personality as well as the development of a new standard of values. Such spirit-born individuals are so remotivated in life that they can calmly stand by while their fondest ambitions perish and their keenest hopes crash; they positively know that such catastrophes are but the redirecting cataclysms which wreck one’s temporal creations preliminary to the rearing of the more noble and enduring realities of a new and more sublime level of universe attainment.

180:5.8 (1950.3) But the highest realization and the truest interpretation of the golden rule consists in the consciousness of the spirit of the truth of the enduring and living reality of such a divine declaration. The true cosmic meaning of this rule of universal relationship is revealed only in its spiritual realization, in the interpretation of the law of conduct by the spirit of the Son to the spirit of the Father that indwells the soul of mortal man. And when such spirit-led mortals realize the true meaning of this golden rule,[color=#FF0000] they are filled to overflowing with the assurance of citizenship in a friendly universe,
and their ideals of spirit reality are satisfied only when they love their fellows as Jesus loved us all, and that is the reality of the realization of the love of God.
[/color]

8) Bradly

PostPosted:  

Assurance comes in many forms in our material life. We have the assurance that comes from the pattern or experience of reliability...that which has dependably worked in the past gives us assurance for the future...the reliability and dependability of gravity or leverage or balance like that gained on a bicycle for example or the behavior pattern of a parent or spouse gives us assurance in similar situations to come. We sign performance contracts and leases for assurance for future outcomes regarding many forms of material support for our assurance. We save money and reduce debt to gain assurance. Assurance delivers a sense of comfort and predictable outcomes in life. It helps overcome, off set, balance, or accept certain risk forms and amounts in life because we are assured that we can survive, manage, compensate for, and survive certain risks to our outcomes and our choices.....assurance addresses the uncertainties in life by adding some certainty to the uncertain in order to reduce anxieties and the fear of future outcomes in life.

The words assure, assured, assuring, and assurance are very interesting to consider by definition and by synonym.

Assurance of the spirit goes even further and so much further than any form of material assurances. Assurance removes doubt and is a critical element to faith itself. There can be no faith without assurance. One feeds and upholds the other. The more faith the more assurance, the more assurance the more faith. This experience is the very foundation of personal religious experience. As an analogy, let us consider the ability for the mother (especially) to give assurance to the baby. Babies are calmed by the very presence of their mother. And by their touch and voice and their own calmness and sense of strength and the safety babies feel in their hands and arms, always soothing, touching, engaging, interacting, speaking, laughing with joy - it is the affection connection - it is love. It is a love and affection shared by and between two persons that deliver assurance to the child.

We are told that God is love. That God's very nature is affectionate and loving with every one of his/her children. Read Paper 2, Section 5. Assurance is a function and result of our connection to God, it is a result of relationship with God, it derives from the love of God and by our love for God. This relationship begins within us as children. It is the religious experience delivered by the Holy Spirit and the higher Adjutant mind spirits which respond to the impulses and urges and hungers and thirsts of the Spirit within each of us. Every response delivers a growing assurance until suddenly one day we receive our very own fragment of God and begin a very personal relationship of growing trust and assurance of our source and our destiny. Indeed, "...revelation is the assurance of personality survival."

It is love that delivers assurance and the experience and sharing of God's love with God and with others that delivers confidence and joy in the face of all uncertainties. Which is why our religious experience will eventually deliver us to the time when we will feast upon uncertainty with absolute confidence in outcomes and a sublime peace of assurance that only love can manifest. All love comes from God. All assurance comes from God's love for us.

26:5.3 (291.3) That, then, is the primary or elementary course which confronts the faith-tested and much-traveled pilgrims of space. But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: “In liaison with God, nothing—absolutely nothing—is impossible.”

102:3.12 (1122.8) The pursuit of knowledge constitutes science; the search for wisdom is philosophy; the love for God is religion; the hunger for truth is a revelation. But it is the indwelling Thought Adjuster that attaches the feeling of reality to man’s spiritual insight into the cosmos.

102:6.3 (1124.5) The religionist of philosophic attainment has faith in a personal God of personal salvation, something more than a reality, a value, a level of achievement, an exalted process, a transmutation, the ultimate of time-space, an idealization, the personalization of energy, the entity of gravity, a human projection, the idealization of self, nature’s upthrust, the inclination to goodness, the forward impulse of evolution, or a sublime hypothesis. The religionist has faith in a God of love. Love is the essence of religion and the wellspring of superior civilization.

102:6.4 (1124.6) Faith transforms the philosophic God of probability into the saving God of certainty in the personal religious experience. Skepticism may challenge the theories of theology, but confidence in the dependability of personal experience affirms the truth of that belief which has grown into faith.

16:6.8 (192.4) 3. Worship—the spiritual domain of the reality of religious experience, the personal realization of divine fellowship, the recognition of spirit values, the assurance of eternal survival, the ascent from the status of servants of God to the joy and liberty of the sons of God. This is the highest insight of the cosmic mind, the reverential and worshipful form of the cosmic discrimination.

16:9.1 (195.7) The cosmic-mind-endowed, Adjuster-indwelt, personal creature possesses innate recognition-realization of energy reality, mind reality, and spirit reality. The will creature is thus equipped to discern the fact, the law, and the love of God. Aside from these three inalienables of human consciousness, all human experience is really subjective except that intuitive realization of validity attaches to the unification of these three universe reality responses of cosmic recognition.

16:9.2 (195.8) The God-discerning mortal is able to sense the unification value of these three cosmic qualities in the evolution of the surviving soul, man’s supreme undertaking in the physical tabernacle where the moral mind collaborates with the indwelling divine spirit to dualize the immortal soul. From its earliest inception the soul is real; it has cosmic survival qualities.

12:7.8 (138.3) The Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man present the paradox of the part and the whole on the level of personality. God loves each individual as an individual child in the heavenly family. Yet God thus loves every individual; he is no respecter of persons, and the universality of his love brings into being a relationship of the whole, the universal brotherhood.

12:7.9 (138.4) The love of the Father absolutely individualizes each personality as a unique child of the Universal Father, a child without duplicate in infinity, a will creature irreplaceable in all eternity. The Father’s love glorifies each child of God, illuminating each member of the celestial family, sharply silhouetting the unique nature of each personal being against the impersonal levels that lie outside the fraternal circuit of the Father of all. The love of God strikingly portrays the transcendent value of each will creature, unmistakably reveals the high value which the Universal Father has placed upon each and every one of his children from the highest creator personality of Paradise status to the lowest personality of will dignity among the savage tribes of men in the dawn of the human species on some evolutionary world of time and space.

12:7.10 (138.5) This very love of God for the individual brings into being the divine family of all individuals, the universal brotherhood of the freewill children of the Paradise Father. And this brotherhood, being universal, is a relationship of the whole. Brotherhood, when universal, discloses not the each relationship, but the all relationship. Brotherhood is a reality of the total and therefore discloses qualities of the whole in contradistinction to qualities of the part.

Let us be assured!! We are family!! :wink: :biggrin: 8)

PostPosted:  

Our assurance is a function of love I believe...we feel God's embrace and respond to all the urges and impulses we are designed and created with when we and as we feel this presence within and the affection of God's presence within. We become encircuited if you will or plugged into the circuitry of reality and the Divine affection.

This causes the spiritual and religious experience of evolutionary faith and truth revelation. Faith brings assurance which is a form of trust...we begin to trust that our spirit nature is the higher reality and that our spirit is safe and secure. This delivers assurance. What does assurance deliver? Serenity, tranquility, a peace of mind in the midst of material stress, uncertainty, suffering, and even chaos. These effects are a form of salvation or release from so many normal material effects in life!

101:6.8 (1112.4) The teachings of Jesus constituted the first Urantian religion which so fully embraced a harmonious co-ordination of knowledge, wisdom, faith, truth, and love as completely and simultaneously to provide temporal tranquillity, intellectual certainty, moral enlightenment, philosophic stability, ethical sensitivity, God-consciousness, and the positive assurance of personal survival. The faith of Jesus pointed the way to finality of human salvation, to the ultimate of mortal universe attainment, since it provided for:

101:6.9 (1112.5) 1. Salvation from material fetters in the personal realization of sonship with God, who is spirit.

101:6.10 (1112.6) 2. Salvation from intellectual bondage: man shall know the truth, and the truth shall set him free.

101:6.11 (1112.7) 3. Salvation from spiritual blindness, the human realization of the fraternity of mortal beings and the morontian awareness of the brotherhood of all universe creatures; the service-discovery of spiritual reality and the ministry-revelation of the goodness of spirit values.

101:6.12 (1113.1) 4. Salvation from incompleteness of self through the attainment of the spirit levels of the universe and through the eventual realization of the harmony of Havona and the perfection of Paradise.

101:6.13 (1113.2) 5. Salvation from self, deliverance from the limitations of self-consciousness through the attainment of the cosmic levels of the Supreme mind and by co-ordination with the attainments of all other self-conscious beings.

101:6.14 (1113.3) 6. Salvation from time, the achievement of an eternal life of unending progression in God-recognition and God-service.

101:6.15 (1113.4) 7. Salvation from the finite, the perfected oneness with Deity in and through the Supreme by which the creature attempts the transcendental discovery of the Ultimate on the postfinaliter levels of the absonite.

8)

PostPosted:  

So...the greatest assurance does not come by or to mind. It is a feeling, a knowing, which does not require an understanding and can never be truly described or articulated. It is much like feeling connected to a current or energy flow that passes through us more than is simply received by us.

Love is such a current. It is received as it is given...in equal measure. A pint cannot hold a quart. That is it cannot hold a quart all at once. But an endless ocean will fit into a pint if the pint gives out its pint over and over, endlessly pouring forth that which is poured in. If the pint gives out its contents it can hold an unlimited quantity!!

God is love. Feeling God's love is the greatest assurance of all.

“Mortal man cannot possibly know the infinitude of the heavenly Father. Finite mind cannot think through such an absolute truth or fact. But this same finite human being can actually feel—literally experience—the full and undiminished impact of such an infinite Father's LOVE. Such a love can be truly experienced, albeit while quality of experience is unlimited, quantity of such an experience is strictly limited by the human capacity for spiritual receptivity and by the associated capacity to love the Father in return.” (50.4) 3:4.6

“In God the Father freewill performances are not ruled by power, nor are they guided by intellect alone; the divine personality is defined as consisting in spirit and manifesting himself to the universes as love. Therefore, in all his personal relations with the creature personalities of the universes, the First Source and Center is always and consistently a loving Father. God is a Father in the highest sense of the term. He is eternally motivated by the perfect idealism of divine love, and that tender nature finds its strongest expression and greatest satisfaction in loving and being loved.” (59.2) 4:4.6

Have you ever stood in slow meandering river? And have you then been swept away by a torrent of current in another? There is always current flowing in every river. There is always an upstream and down. I think early in our spiritualization, the gravity circuits, especially the spirit circuit, are slow, still enough to not feel much current or energy, pushing us toward Paradise. But like material gravity increases its effect and pull on larger and more massive forms (quantity), so does spirit gravity increase its pull and effect upon those souls which grow and progress in the spirit. There is both a quantity and especially a quality to our Circle Progress that adds weight and dimension to soul - more mass for the greater effect of and response to spirit gravity.

Assurance lies within the feeling of this power and energy and inexplicable force delivering us downstream to the inevitability of Paradise. So, it is the giving of love that delivers the growth of soul and it is the growth of soul that increasingly becomes aware of, assured of, and effected by the gravity circuit of the Spirit.

7:1.3 (82.2) Spirit realities respond to the drawing power of the center of spiritual gravity in accordance with their qualitative value, their actual degree of spirit nature. Spirit substance (quality) is just as responsive to spirit gravity as the organized energy of physical matter (quantity) is responsive to physical gravity. Spiritual values and spirit forces are real. From the viewpoint of personality, spirit is the soul of creation; matter is the shadowy physical body.

7:1.4 (82.3) The reactions and fluctuations of spirit gravity are ever true to the content of spiritual values, the qualitative spiritual status of an individual or a world. This drawing power is instantly responsive to the inter- and intraspirit values of any universe situation or planetary condition. Every time a spiritual reality actualizes in the universes, this change necessitates the immediate and instantaneous readjustment of spirit gravity. Such a new spirit is actually a part of the Second Source and Center; and just as certainly as mortal man becomes a spiritized being, he will attain the spiritual Son, the center and source of spirit gravity.

7:1.8 (82.7) All reactions of the spirit-gravity circuit of the grand universe are predictable. We recognize all actions and reactions of the omnipresent spirit of the Eternal Son and find them to be dependable. In accordance with well-known laws, we can and do measure spiritual gravity just as man attempts to compute the workings of finite physical gravity. There is an unvarying response of the Son’s spirit to all spirit things, beings, and persons, and this response is always in accordance with the degree of actuality (the qualitative degree of reality) of all such spiritual values.

8)