Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:17 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Hi, all. I'm new to the forum, although I've been a reader for a couple of months now. So far, I'm very impressed with the book's description of the life and teachings of Jesus, also called in the book Michael of Nebadon. That being said, I can't get out of my head a common criticism of the book: its apparent unawareness of the Big Bang Theory. Why would this be excluded from Urantia if the intent of the book was to explain complex issues to us :?:

Thanks for any and all replies,

~adam

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hello Adam,

I see that you are 14 years old. That makes me very happy that you're here. Welcome.

I think the following might be what you're looking for.

Quote:

The God of Action

8:1.1.In the eternity of the past, upon the personalization of the Infinite Spirit the divine personality cycle becomes perfect and complete. The God of Action is existent, and the vast stage of space is set for the stupendous drama of creation—the universal adventure—the divine panorama of the eternal ages.

8:1.2.The first act of the Infinite Spirit is the inspection and recognition of his divine parents, the Father-Father and the Mother-Son. He, the Spirit, unqualifiedly identifies both of them. He is fully cognizant of their separate personalities and infinite attributes as well as of their combined nature and united function. Next, voluntarily, with transcendent willingness and inspiring spontaneity, the Third Person of Deity, notwithstanding his equality with the First and Second Persons, pledges eternal loyalty to God the Father and acknowledges everlasting dependence upon God the Son.

8:1.3.Inherent in the nature of this transaction and in mutual recognition of the personality independence of each and the executive union of all three, the cycle of eternity is established. The Paradise Trinity is existent. The stage of universal space is set for the manifold and never-ending panorama of the creative unfolding of the purpose of the Universal Father through the personality of the Eternal Son and by the execution of the God of Action, the executive agency for the reality performances of the Father-Son creator partnership.

8:1.4.The God of Action functions and the dead vaults of space are astir. One billion perfect spheres flash into existence. Prior to this hypothetical eternity moment the space-energies inherent in Paradise are existent and potentially operative, but they have no actuality of being; neither can physical gravity be measured except by the reaction of material realities to its incessant pull. There is no material universe at this (assumed) eternally distant moment, but the very instant that one billion worlds materialize, there is in evidence gravity sufficient and adequate to hold them in the everlasting grasp of Paradise.

8:1.5.There now flashes through the creation of the Gods the second form of energy, and this outflowing spirit is instantly grasped by the spiritual gravity of the Eternal Son. Thus the twofold gravity-embraced universe is touched with the energy of infinity and immersed in the spirit of divinity. In this way is the soil of life prepared for the consciousness of mind made manifest in the associated intelligence circuits of the Infinite Spirit.

8:1.6.Upon these seeds of potential existence, diffused throughout the central creation of the Gods, the Father acts, and creature personality appears. Then does the presence of the Paradise Deities fill all organized space and begin effectively to draw all things and beings Paradiseward.

8:1.7.The Infinite Spirit eternalizes concurrently with the birth of the Havona worlds, this central universe being created by him and with him and in him in obedience to the combined concepts and united wills of the Father and the Son. The Third Person deitizes by this very act of conjoint creation, and he thus forever becomes the Conjoint Creator.

8:1.8.These are the grand and awful times of the creative expansion of the Father and the Son by, and in, the action of their conjoint associate and exclusive executive, the Third Source and Center. There exists no record of these stirring times. We have only the meager disclosures of the Infinite Spirit to substantiate these mighty transactions, and he merely verifies the fact that the central universe and all that pertains thereto eternalized simultaneously with his attainment of personality and conscious existence.

8:1.9.In brief, the Infinite Spirit testifies that, since he is eternal, so also is the central universe eternal. And this is the traditional starting point of the history of the universe of universes. Absolutely nothing is known, and no records are in existence, regarding any event or transaction prior to this stupendous eruption of creative energy and administrative wisdom that crystallized the vast universe which exists, and so exquisitely functions, at the center of all things. Beyond this event lie the unsearchable transactions of eternity and the depths of infinity—absolute mystery.

8:1.10.And we thus portray the sequential origin of the Third Source and Center as an interpretative condescension to the time-bound and space-conditioned mind of mortal creatures. The mind of man must have a starting point for the visualization of universe history, and I have been directed to provide this technique of approach to the historic concept of eternity. In the material mind, consistency demands a First Cause; therefore do we postulate the Universal Father as the First Source and the Absolute Center of all creation, at the same time instructing all creature minds that the Son and the Spirit are coeternal with the Father in all phases of universe history and in all realms of creative activity. And we do this without in any sense being disregardful of the reality and eternity of the Isle of Paradise and of the Unqualified, Universal, and Deity Absolutes.

8:1.11.It is enough of a reach of the material mind of the children of time to conceive of the Father in eternity. We know that any child can best relate himself to reality by first mastering the relationships of the child-parent situation and then by enlarging this concept to embrace the family as a whole. Subsequently the growing mind of the child will be able to adjust to the concept of family relations, to relationships of the community, the race, and the world, and then to those of the universe, the superuniverse, even the universe of universes.

PostPosted:  

Hey, thanks for the reply so soon. : :smile: I feel like I need to keep reading up on this stuff. You know, kinda like a way to have my questions answered before I can ask them. Currently I'm in the fourth part of the book, about the life and teachings of Jesus. Should I go back and read the first three? I mean, I've skimmed parts of them that I thought were interesting, but should this be approached like the Bible, with daily study, or what?

PostPosted:  

Adam's son wrote:
Hey, thanks for the reply so soon. : :smile: I feel like I need to keep reading up on this stuff. You know, kinda like a way to have my questions answered before I can ask them. Currently I'm in the fourth part of the book, about the life and teachings of Jesus. Should I go back and read the first three? I mean, I've skimmed parts of them that I thought were interesting, but should this be approached like the Bible, with daily study, or what?

Lol. If you've started reading the book by starting with Part 4, I think you're doing just fine. Of course I'm biased in that regard because that's what I did when I discovered the UB. I was enthralled to have found the life and teachings of Jesus, and nothing was going to stop me from reading about him first. Since then, I've read the rest of the book several times but nothing compares to what it was like to read about Jesus for the first time.

Like you, I had many questions. But the answers were almost always forthcoming in the paragraph immediately following that place in the book where a question was generated. Part 4 rather stands alone. The info in the first three parts are not critical, IMO, to getting the most out of P4, and I've never thought that starting off with P4 in any way hurt or took away from the experience of reading the Urantia Book.

You're 14 years old Adam? Boy do I envy you.

Personally I never looked at reading the UB like I was studying it. I just couldn't not read it lol.

For many years I read from it every day. After reading all of P4, I focused on P3. But all the while poking around in it. Sad to say, though but I didn't start my first full read from the beginning for about ten years after discovering it. I just let myself be guided by the Spirit.

And still do.

All the best,
Enno

PostPosted:  

Alrighty then. Onward! I've just gotten to the part where Jesus is twelve years old, after Joseph yells at him for wanting to build an amphitheater in Nazareth.

PostPosted:  

Welcome Adam's son!!

So glad you are here and reading the Papers! I don't have anything to add to nod/Enno's answer to your first question here but would offer my encouragement and a little advice.

It is my opinion and personal experience that reading the UB itself will deliver more understanding and appreciation and perspective than will the opinions of other readers....like myself.....or the discussion of the contents instead of the reading of the contents...at least for a reading or two!

Please do feel free to ask any questions you may wish and which come to mind in your reading (but like Enno so accurately says, the UB so often seems to anticipate our questions and answers them soon enough in text-to-come!)...there are folks here happy to help you find answers to your questions within the UB. I only mean to suggest that discovering the UB by reading it through is more effective I think than jumping around reading snippets by topical research or key word searches. Some people are too busy or lazy too read such a book. It's great to hear from someone who is a truth seeker and willing to read and study and learn for themselves - to do the work of discovery and discernment.

Some people tend to look for gurus and those who will tell them what's what and what's not. You'll come to discover the UB says that truth is a personal journey of discovery and we each have all that is needed for such an adventure!

I recall that time long ago when I was your age....what a season for personal and spiritual growth and truth realization and yearning for understanding and forming a perspective of the world and God's universe and my place in it!! What a glorious time....ENJOY!

Read the UB however you wish....back to front, front to back....or like me, middle outward in both directions! Like eating any elephant, it is best digested one bite at a time...no matter where you begin the feast!

I am curious how you came to find the Urantia Book...if you care to share? And we will look forward to your sharing anything you like from your reading. Please remember that anything posted here that is not a quote of the UB is just personal opinion or belief and your own opinions and beliefs are no less valid and important and welcome! It is my belief there are no stupid questions...but I have read and heard some stupid answers.....hahahaha.

I will post a couple of my favorite quotes meant only to encourage your journey and adventure of discovery!

14:5.10 (159.6) Love of adventure, curiosity, and dread of monotony — these traits inherent in evolving human nature — were not put there just to aggravate and annoy you during your short sojourn on earth, but rather to suggest to you that death is only the beginning of an endless career of adventure, an everlasting life of anticipation, an eternal voyage of discovery.

14:5.11 (160.1) Curiosity — the spirit of investigation, the urge of discovery, the drive of exploration — is a part of the inborn and divine endowment of evolutionary space creatures. These natural impulses were not given you merely to be frustrated and repressed. True, these ambitious urges must frequently be restrained during your short life on earth, disappointment must be often experienced, but they are to be fully realized and gloriously gratified during the long ages to come.

100:1.4 (1094.6) Children are permanently impressed only by the loyalties of their adult associates; precept or even example is not lastingly influential. Loyal persons are growing persons, and growth is an impressive and inspiring reality. Live loyally today — grow — and tomorrow will attend to itself. The quickest way for a tadpole to become a frog is to live loyally each moment as a tadpole.

I agree with Enno....the story of Jesus is the most inspiring and enlightening story ever told!

Welcome To The Eternal Adventure......and Best Wishes...from another tadpole in the pond of truth seekers and God believers!!

Bradly 8)

PostPosted:  

By the way...I was about your age when I also became a Jesusonian...rather than a Christian....although a Jesusonian is still a Christian too, it does signify a difference easily discerned by comparison of the Paulinian gospel ABOUT Jesus to the Jesusonian Gospel OF Jesus!!

The teachings of Jesus leap from the Bible in their distinct differences to the rest of the scriptures...or did so to me in my early teens, once I got my hands on a Red-Letter edition of the Bible.

Jesus brought the world the greatest of Good News! God loves us each and all....and we are family...and God's universe is a friendly place built on LOVE...and death has no claim or hold on those who love God...and one another!!

Voila!! The Jesusonian Gospel...as this tadpole understands it!

:wink: :biggrin: :idea: :!: 8)

PostPosted:  

Thanks for the support, fanofVan! I'm glad to be here, too. And I definitely will be asking more questions as I read onward from the book.

PostPosted:  

Welcome Adam's Son...

I just want to chime in here and offer my warm welcome to you along with the others. It's very encouraging to see one of your tender years finding the revelation. You are the same age as my son was when I introduced him to the UB. He also embraced it, and it has remained an influential source of truth for him for many years now. I only wish I had found it earlier myself.

No hurry, but I do hope that eventually you will be drawn to reading the whole book from cover to cover. Reading it that way is an experience like no other and gives the reader a truly holistic view - the really big picture - of what it all means and how it all fits together. It gives the reader an orientation to life that will serve you tremendously in going forward. It is an orientation that is sorely lacking in our world and one that is so helpful in navigating the sometimes turbulent waters of life.

But like you, I also stared in Part IV and did not read the whole book for some time. As others have said, the Life and Teachings of Jesus is (in my opinion) the most important and inspiring part of the book and helps us to really understand our Brother-Father-Friend in ways not possible otherwise.

Thanks for writing and best wishes going forward!

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

Adam's son wrote:
...I can't get out of my head a common criticism of the book: its apparent unawareness of the Big Bang Theory. Why would this be excluded from Urantia if the intent of the book was to explain complex issues to us :?:

~adam

To answer your question Adam's son, the reason that there is no awareness of the Big Bang Theory of Creation by the authors of The Urantia Book is because creation did not happen that way in the beginning. The true story of the creation of this life from the energy that is the heart of God is spelled out in the book but cannot understood because of a lack of understanding by the physics community caused, in large part, by the big bang nonsense.

regards, gray

PostPosted:  

Adam's son wrote:
Hi, all. I'm new to the forum, although I've been a reader for a couple of months now. So far, I'm very impressed with the book's description of the life and teachings of Jesus, also called in the book Michael of Nebadon. That being said, I can't get out of my head a common criticism of the book: its apparent unawareness of the Big Bang Theory. Why would this be excluded from Urantia if the intent of the book was to explain complex issues to us :?:

~adam

The big bang did not happen. I won't use the UB as evidence. The idea of a big bang violates the law of gravity. Gravity does not allow "Big Bangs". Black holes do not explode.

Here's where the scientists made their mistake. They looked at the galaxies and found out that almost all of them were moving outward, away from each other. So, they used red shift to determine the distance to the galaxies and then they determined the speed of the galaxies moving outward (and thats when they found out the galaxies were actually increasing in speed so they came up with the idea of dark energy), then they figured if they ran it all backwards that the galaxies would all have come from the same place 13.8 billion years ago. The problem is that the idea that all matter came from a big bang violates the law of gravity and the scientists just say that they don't understand the rules that caused the big bang to happen. The reason they don't understand the rules is because their idea of the big bang VIOLATES their own rules. They tossed out gravity for the big bang and they are wrong and that is not how science is supposed to work.

Now you might argue that the discovery of background radiation proves the big bang happened but radiation comes from stars and every direction in the night sky has, not just stars, but galaxies full of stars. So the "background" radiation comes from stars, not a big bang. Another argument the scientists make is that the background radiation is very uniform, it has a very even cooling, but that is caused by the expansion of space. It's not evidence of a big bang, it's just evidence of the expanding space causing the temperature to be very cool throughout the entirety of space.

Angels form nebula's. Some of those nebula's are put into motion around a center to create a swirling galaxy and some of the nebula's are left as they are.

Once the James Webb telescope is successfully placed into space in 2021 scientists will identify many galaxies older than 13.8 billion years and the big bang will no longer be a credible theory.