Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:21 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Colonizing Mars
PostPosted:  

Today, Elon Musk revealed his concept for colonizing Mars in the event of an imminent 'extinction event on Earth', and to evolve into a "spacefaring species". Just for fun, I thought we could discuss how each of us might choose to react to such a possibility *if we were trying to do what we interpret the Urantia Book to say about such things*.

Do you think God's plan for you, personally, would be to escape planet Earth via a man-made rocket with the intention of colonizing Mars in order to perpetuate the human species? Or would you have a different perspective?

Oh, and as an aside, speaking of 'extinction events', I recently finished reading a science fiction novel called Seveneves, which takes place at a time long into the future when the moon becomes fragmented, disintegrates, and pelts the earth with meteors. It's a fascinating read (and was on President Obama's summer reading list). Then, just yesterday, in my daily reading of TUB, I came to this:

Quote:
57:6.3 (657.6) When the tidal frictions of the moon and the earth become equalized, the earth will always turn the same hemisphere toward the moon, and the day and month will be analogous — in length about forty-seven days. When such stability of orbits is attained, tidal frictions will go into reverse action, no longer driving the moon farther away from the earth but gradually drawing the satellite toward the planet. And then, in that far-distant future when the moon approaches to within about eleven thousand miles of the earth, the gravity action of the latter will cause the moon to disrupt, and this tidal-gravity explosion will shatter the moon into small particles, which may assemble about the world as rings of matter resembling those of Saturn or may be gradually drawn into the earth as meteors.

Of course, that would be billions of years from now. Pretty cool, though!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Colonizing Mars
PostPosted:  

it appears from this that we'd have a different and better option:

Quote:
51:2.3 (582.3) While there is this dematerializing technique for preparing the Adams for transit from Jerusem to the evolutionary worlds, there is no equivalent method for taking them away from such worlds unless the entire planet is to be emptied, in which event emergency installation of the dematerialization technique is made for the entire salvable population. If some physical catastrophe should doom the planetary residence of an evolving race, the Melchizedeks and the Life Carriers would install the technique of dematerialization for all survivors, and by seraphic transport these beings would be carried away to the new world prepared for their continuing existence. The evolution of a human race, once initiated on a world of space, must proceed quite independently of the physical survival of that planet, but during the evolutionary ages it is not otherwise intended that a Planetary Adam or Eve shall leave their chosen world.

PostPosted:  

Makalu wrote:
it appears from this that we'd have a different and better option:

Quote:
51:2.3 (582.3) While there is this dematerializing technique for preparing the Adams for transit from Jerusem to the evolutionary worlds, there is no equivalent method for taking them away from such worlds unless the entire planet is to be emptied, in which event emergency installation of the dematerialization technique is made for the entire salvable population. If some physical catastrophe should doom the planetary residence of an evolving race, the Melchizedeks and the Life Carriers would install the technique of dematerialization for all survivors, and by seraphic transport these beings would be carried away to the new world prepared for their continuing existence. The evolution of a human race, once initiated on a world of space, must proceed quite independently of the physical survival of that planet, but during the evolutionary ages it is not otherwise intended that a Planetary Adam or Eve shall leave their chosen world.

Yes, that is the quote I was thinking about, too. However, only a relatively few of us on earth are aware of this different and better option. How would it feel watching our friends, family, perhaps children and grandchildren, boarding a spaceship to colonize another planet; all the while knowing that if we all had faith in God's overcare, we could stay and everything would work out?

Personally, I think it would be very hard to be one of the few 'crazies' who would be saying, 'nah, I'll just stay here and take my chances'. Not to mention the excitement of going into space! That would be hard to pass up, for me anyway.

PostPosted:  

i'd probably have no problem watching the circus of crazy people fighting for a ride to an inhospitable planet...but that's just me. btw one of the mars moons is in a degrading orbit and will disintegrate before ours.

PostPosted:  

You realize, of course, that the majority of people on earth have not read the Urantia Book and would say that you and I are the crazy ones for saying that we plan to wait around for the "technique of dematerialization for all survivors, and by seraphic transport these beings would be carried away to the new world". :badgrin:

PostPosted:  

well i was used to not subscribing to majority views long before i read the urantia papers and when an atheist salesman offers up a problematic insurance plan for saving humanity from extinction i'm not likely to want to buy into it.

PostPosted:  

I doubt the Authors or their superiors have any problem with us going up into space colonizing adjacent planets. One of my favorite ideas was spoken by Isaac Asimov about mining the asteroids for minerals, setting up space based solar collectors around the planet and turning our world into a big garden.

PostPosted:  

Alwilliams, I agree. I've always believed that God helps those who help themselves and it wouldn't feel right to passively await seraphic transport if it looked like planetary disaster was truly likely to occur very soon. Surely, there would not be a spiritual penalty for a free will decision to preserve our families and loved ones by sharing the journey with them to colonize another planet within our own solar system.

PostPosted:  

if the scenario is a foreseeable disaster "very soon" (not musks scenario btw) then its pretty hard to imagine how the 7+ billion people on earth could be saved...in which case god helps those who are unable to help themselves :wink:

PostPosted:  

I expect that if they do manage to get people on Mars us poor people wont be invited anyway..

PostPosted:  

hmm yeah that might not be such a bad idea after all...

make mars green again!

PostPosted:  

Thanks Agon for bringing this up.

Since childhood I subscribed to the idea that colonization of places like the moon and Mars were not just desirable, but inevitable. After having studied and lived with the Urantia Book, I now get this sense that the idea of colonizing Mars is.... silly.

If Mars can support life, then those who turn rocks into habitable zones would have made Mars habitable, too. But they didn't. And so I am left to conclude Mars never had life, doesn't now, and never will support life, no matter how hard we try to change it. If those with the power to spread life passed on Mars, we probably should, too. Pretty sure God would prefer I personally focus on maintaining Spaceship Earth.

Other than the dematerialization technique for planetary emergencies, I don't recall the Papers ever once mentioning peoples of other planets, particularly those in more advanced stages of life, colonizing space bodies around them. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't do that, but it's hard for me to see a good reason why the relevators would omit such a major piece of data when they share everything else (such as the fact that there are nonbreathers in close proximity to us).

PostPosted:  

While I, personally, will never have to worry about it since there is no way in my lifetime I'd be able to afford the airfare to Mars, I wouldn't call it "silly". But that's just me.

As far as why it wasn't made habitable before, the fact that its surface temperature is -81 degree F probably has a lot to do with it. Our civilization has progressed to the point where we have developed technology and scientific advancements that may (that is a big "may") enable us to find artificial means of living on a very cold planet (such as creating a biosphere, which has already been done here on earth).

That said, "Pretty sure God would prefer I personally focus on maintaining Spaceship Earth." <---- I agree with that statement.

PostPosted:  

Aloha... Interesting read ... As for me? I ain't going :) Interesting article from our local paper on recent events...
http://bigislandnow.com/2016/09/19/big- ... n-to-mars/

They spent a year in a dome atop Mauna Loa to simulate living on Mars.....

PostPosted:  

Personally, I feel guided to traverse my inner realities well before venturing into space. For what could I possibly understand of the Universe of Universes, without knowing my True Identity as a Child of God?

What value does the cosmos hold for a mind which has yet to plum the depths of their mental and spiritual dimensions, in which lies the Truth of our whole existence.