Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I first came across the Urantia book in my twenties. I would always see it in the New Age section at the bookstores and it was mentioned positively in another book I read on spirituality. One day I decided to dive in and bought a copy for myself. It is a tough book to read, though. Very dense. I would pick it up from time to time and read certain sections. Eventually, I came across David Bradley's Introduction to the Urantia Book and bought that too as an abbreviated guide, a "cliff notes" if you will.

I no longer have my copy of the Urantia Book. I had to get rid of it during one of my moves when I was downsizing. I am not a full believer either. I read plenty of other spiritual material from other sources. But I will say it has had a profound affect on my thinking.

------------------------
Here then are a few of my biggest takeaways:

The biggest thing it has done is expand my concept of Creation. As humans it is easy to be narrow minded and only think about Earth. And for many of us, just the 70 years or so we are alive here. It's all we know after all. To read about Super Universes, Local universes, Local Systems... It was mind-boggling. The Urantia Book helped me to envisions a vast, populated Multiverse and in doing so has changed my thinking forever.

Another thing that struck me was the extremely bureaucratic nature of Creation. But I suppose you need some organization to manage that vast creation.

The concept of the "Thought Adjuster", a piece of God that is within us, is pretty neat too.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Thank you for sharing, BigAl. There is no requirement that you be a "full believer" to participate in study groups, such as this board. But I would suggest at least getting your hands on a copy of the book, even if it's electronic (many versions are freely available, including an online copy here at Truthbook). Yes, it's dense. But not impossible. That's why we have study groups. :)

Hard to say what my biggest takeaway from The Urantia Book is. Maybe that the universe is mind-made and personality-managed? Perhaps the fact that the rest of creation is so focused on God (which makes sense when you really think about it). The elaboration of the nature of the divinity of Jesus is also fascinating. May it's the filler for our gaps of knowledge of planetary prehistory. It could be the clarifications to philosophy (including explanation of absonite and morontia realities).. or maybe the nature of mind and its relationship to matter.... there are just too many to choose from!

I wish you well on your journey!

PostPosted:  

Greetings All,

My biggest takeaway is that God lives in me and I can get to know him as a friend in my soul. The best parts of the Papers are the parts about the soul and the morontia level of reality. You can't find that anywhere else. Not that I know of, at least.

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

It's a shame this topic didn't receive more posts. Perhaps we can revive this thread and focus on positive results each of us has experienced as a result of the Urantia Book.

For me, a big takeaway is that evolution is not exclusively biological; evolution occurs in every realm: planetary, spiritual, intellectual, and social. Even religion itself evolves over time. With our short life spans of ~70 years, it is difficult for us to personally experience evolution, but a study of history shows it to be so.

Another big takeaway is that human beings dwelling on this planet is no accident. There is a purpose to our time here; and purpose-driven activities continue after we pass into the next phase of our evolution. I was never satisfied with the idea that after we die, we lounge around on clouds and watch over our loved ones here on earth! I am thrilled by the idea of having endless stimulating and challenging activities to pursue, interspersed with periods of relaxation and reversion fun. I am excited to see what it is like to be a part of 'spontaneous' group worship, as well.

So much truth, goodness and beauty is available to us if we look for it.

PostPosted:  

Thanks Agon D. Onter!!

Much like BigAl, I found the UB (or did it find me?) in my early 20's as one engaged in truth seeking and in many directions and from many sources back in the early 70's (most of which I still study/read today). I also found it very "dense" in some parts (we all know which ones - hahaha!) until my third reading when it all began to self-integrate. That ultimate result, to me, is the most illuminating and functional part of the book - it appears to personally reach into the mind with just enough reward to keep the mind engaged, a trail of little truths and confirmations and mysteries which keep one on the path of discovery and delight!

But the first reading (I started in the middle, the papers on personal religion) immediately seemed to naturally confirm my own experience prior to reading by organizing the mind spirits and the gravity circuits into an understandable presentation. I was also very pleased to know that the eternal adventure will be one of constant learning and doing - a progression of transformation which leads to the center of all things. That's what got me most excited, like Agon, everything that is best keeps going and everything that's not is left behind!!

Wondrous and so very inspiring! As many others have said before, it is a book of instruction for the believer to act upon and grow thereby....reading is but the first adventure in mind....it is the living in the very presence of our kindly and paternal God and our Nebadon hero and brother Michael and to learn of all those who care about us and for us along this journey that makes one jump up, look around, and get busy!!!

8)

PostPosted:  

i believe my biggest takeaway is this:

Quote:
The Acme of Religious Living

100:7.1 (1101.5) Although the average mortal of Urantia cannot hope to attain the high perfection of character which Jesus of Nazareth acquired while sojourning in the flesh, it is altogether possible for every mortal believer to develop a strong and unified personality along the perfected lines of the Jesus personality. The unique feature of the Master’s personality was not so much its perfection as its symmetry, its exquisite and balanced unification. The most effective presentation of Jesus consists in following the example of the one who said, as he gestured toward the Master standing before his accusers, “Behold the man!”

100:7.2 (1101.6) The unfailing kindness of Jesus touched the hearts of men, but his stalwart strength of character amazed his followers. He was truly sincere; there was nothing of the hypocrite in him. He was free from affectation; he was always so refreshingly genuine. He never stooped to pretense, and he never resorted to shamming. He lived the truth, even as he taught it. He was the truth. He was constrained to proclaim saving truth to his generation, even though such sincerity sometimes caused pain. He was unquestioningly loyal to all truth.

100:7.3 (1101.7) But the Master was so reasonable, so approachable. He was so practical in all his ministry, while all his plans were characterized by such sanctified common sense. He was so free from all freakish, erratic, and eccentric tendencies. He was never capricious, whimsical, or hysterical. In all his teaching and in everything he did there was always an exquisite discrimination associated with an extraordinary sense of propriety.

100:7.4 (1102.1) The Son of Man was always a well-poised personality. Even his enemies maintained a wholesome respect for him; they even feared his presence. Jesus was unafraid. He was surcharged with divine enthusiasm, but he never became fanatical. He was emotionally active but never flighty. He was imaginative but always practical. He frankly faced the realities of life, but he was never dull or prosaic. He was courageous but never reckless; prudent but never cowardly. He was sympathetic but not sentimental; unique but not eccentric. He was pious but not sanctimonious. And he was so well-poised because he was so perfectly unified.

100:7.5 (1102.2) Jesus’ originality was unstifled. He was not bound by tradition or handicapped by enslavement to narrow conventionality. He spoke with undoubted confidence and taught with absolute authority. But his superb originality did not cause him to overlook the gems of truth in the teachings of his predecessors and contemporaries. And the most original of his teachings was the emphasis of love and mercy in the place of fear and sacrifice.

100:7.6 (1102.3) Jesus was very broad in his outlook. He exhorted his followers to preach the gospel to all peoples. He was free from all narrow-mindedness. His sympathetic heart embraced all mankind, even a universe. Always his invitation was, “Whosoever will, let him come.”

100:7.7 (1102.4) Of Jesus it was truly said, “He trusted God.” As a man among men he most sublimely trusted the Father in heaven. He trusted his Father as a little child trusts his earthly parent. His faith was perfect but never presumptuous. No matter how cruel nature might appear to be or how indifferent to man’s welfare on earth, Jesus never faltered in his faith. He was immune to disappointment and impervious to persecution. He was untouched by apparent failure.

100:7.8 (1102.5) He loved men as brothers, at the same time recognizing how they differed in innate endowments and acquired qualities. “He went about doing good.”

100:7.9 (1102.6) Jesus was an unusually cheerful person, but he was not a blind and unreasoning optimist. His constant word of exhortation was, “Be of good cheer.” He could maintain this confident attitude because of his unswerving trust in God and his unshakable confidence in man. He was always touchingly considerate of all men because he loved them and believed in them. Still he was always true to his convictions and magnificently firm in his devotion to the doing of his Father’s will.

100:7.10 (1102.7) The Master was always generous. He never grew weary of saying, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Said he, “Freely you have received, freely give.” And yet, with all of his unbounded generosity, he was never wasteful or extravagant. He taught that you must believe to receive salvation. “For every one who seeks shall receive.”

100:7.11 (1102.8) He was candid, but always kind. Said he, “If it were not so, I would have told you.” He was frank, but always friendly. He was outspoken in his love for the sinner and in his hatred for sin. But throughout all this amazing frankness he was unerringly fair.

100:7.12 (1102.9) Jesus was consistently cheerful, notwithstanding he sometimes drank deeply of the cup of human sorrow. He fearlessly faced the realities of existence, yet was he filled with enthusiasm for the gospel of the kingdom. But he controlled his enthusiasm; it never controlled him. He was unreservedly dedicated to “the Father’s business.” This divine enthusiasm led his unspiritual brethren to think he was beside himself, but the onlooking universe appraised him as the model of sanity and the pattern of supreme mortal devotion to the high standards of spiritual living. And his controlled enthusiasm was contagious; his associates were constrained to share his divine optimism.

100:7.13 (1103.1) This man of Galilee was not a man of sorrows; he was a soul of gladness. Always was he saying, “Rejoice and be exceedingly glad.” But when duty required, he was willing to walk courageously through the “valley of the shadow of death.” He was gladsome but at the same time humble.

100:7.14 (1103.2) His courage was equaled only by his patience. When pressed to act prematurely, he would only reply, “My hour has not yet come.” He was never in a hurry; his composure was sublime. But he was often indignant at evil, intolerant of sin. He was often mightily moved to resist that which was inimical to the welfare of his children on earth. But his indignation against sin never led to anger at the sinner.

100:7.15 (1103.3) His courage was magnificent, but he was never foolhardy. His watchword was, “Fear not.” His bravery was lofty and his courage often heroic. But his courage was linked with discretion and controlled by reason. It was courage born of faith, not the recklessness of blind presumption. He was truly brave but never audacious.

100:7.16 (1103.4) The Master was a pattern of reverence. The prayer of even his youth began, “Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be your name.” He was even respectful of the faulty worship of his fellows. But this did not deter him from making attacks on religious traditions or assaulting errors of human belief. He was reverential of true holiness, and yet he could justly appeal to his fellows, saying, “Who among you convicts me of sin?”

100:7.17 (1103.5) Jesus was great because he was good, and yet he fraternized with the little children. He was gentle and unassuming in his personal life, and yet he was the perfected man of a universe. His associates called him Master unbidden.

100:7.18 (1103.6) Jesus was the perfectly unified human personality. And today, as in Galilee, he continues to unify mortal experience and to co-ordinate human endeavors. He unifies life, ennobles character, and simplifies experience. He enters the human mind to elevate, transform, and transfigure it. It is literally true: “If any man has Christ Jesus within him, he is a new creature; old things are passing away; behold, all things are becoming new.”

PostPosted:  

Yes I like that section that someone else posted (The Acme Of Religious Living) quite a bit.
Most of the book resonates with me an seems to come from a high vibration but some parts don't do that for me
(much of the history of Urantia section does not seem that useful to me)

Other sections that I like include:

The Meaning Of The Death On The Cross (dispels the "atonement doctrine")

also this one from Paper 2
2:3.4 When this sentence is finally confirmed, the sin-identified being instantly becomes as though he had not been.

I remember reading this back in the 70's and it was a mind-blower.
In my interpretation of this passage, this fate did NOT happen to someone like Hitler

Why? Because we still know about him. My take is that the 'annihilation' in this section (The Nature Of God) means that you are completely 'erased' from history and memory (time is nothing to the 'higher-ups')

It felt correct to me that "god" (and all those angels and such) are not interested in vengeance or punishment
(why create folks just to punish them?)

PostPosted:  

The biggest takeaway for me was the realization that I could live forever if I choose to. I find it fascinating that a fragment of God lives inside me, and all other normal minded human beings. I rarely tire of thinking about this... I try to hold "conversations" with my indwelling spirit, (you can imagine how these go...). Mostly I try to remember that I should learn to love a new person daily, rather than trying to love everyone at once.

PostPosted:  

The biggest takeaway from the Urantia Book is that it exists in the first place. Why it exists, is the greatest giveaway.

(100:7.10) The Master was always generous. He never grew weary of saying, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Said he, "Freely you have received, freely give." And yet, with all of his unbounded generosity, he was never wasteful or extravagant. He taught that you must believe to receive salvation. "For every one who seeks shall receive."

PostPosted:  

AL Williams, if I might, you have spoken clearly as you always do. Thank you. Let me expound on something you said though I don't intend this to be pointed at you personally.

Quote:
The biggest takeaway for me was the realization that I could live forever if I choose to.

I merely wanted to call attention to the reality of what you say. We can choose to live forever as you say, but as the Urantia Book explains in so many ways, we are really choosing to live IN THE REALITY OF FOREVER and that choice is available now. For all of us now is the only time we will ever be able to make that choice. When we do that, choose to live in "the forever of now", we experience the acceptance of God''s forgiveness (see paper 170) and actually adopt a perspective change that reveals the eternal perspective to us personally and experientially. It is this actual change in perspective that reveals our life changing experience to this world. Born again is real and experiential or it is nothing. It is always, and only, available . . . now!

Here is the counter point. If we only look at life from our earthly perspective, even though we may be looking at eternal things like the info in the Urantia Book, we are not appreciably changed. But when we actually adopt the self disrupting decision to allow our minds to see from the eternal perspective we are transformed by that choice and the reality of our eternity is revealed to us by God. No longer is it theory, it is fact. It is fact that never changes throughout all eternity and the work of building a life with absolute permanence of goal is begun for real.

Nothing reveals God to our minds souls and hearts like experience in seeing life through his eyes. There is no substitute.

Jim

PostPosted:  

BigAl,

This is a Great topic !!

For me there are several takeaways and I might have to do a few posts to give this topic its due.

First from the Foreword:

The descriptions of Deity (section 1) and God (section 2) are by far the most comprehensive, I might add, sublime written explainations I have ever come across--nothing compares. The information is so intense it has to be "unpacked."
I had to read the Foreword about seven times before I began to get a grip on what was being described.

from section one on Deity and Divinity:

I. Deity and Divinity

0:1.1 (2.1) The universe of universes presents phenomena of deity activities on diverse levels of cosmic realities, mind meanings, and spirit values, but all of these ministrations — personal or otherwise — are divinely co-ordinated.

0:1.2 (2.2) DEITY is personalizable as God, is prepersonal and superpersonal in ways not altogether comprehensible by man. Deity is characterized by the quality of unity — actual or potential — on all supermaterial levels of reality; and this unifying quality is best comprehended by creatures as divinity.

0:1.3 (2.3) Deity functions on personal, prepersonal, and superpersonal levels. Total Deity is functional on the following seven levels:

0:1.4 (2.4) 1. Static — self-contained and self-existent Deity.

0:1.5 (2.5) 2. Potential — self-willed and self-purposive Deity.

0:1.6 (2.6) 3. Associative — self-personalized and divinely fraternal Deity.

0:1.7 (2.7) 4. Creative — self-distributive and divinely revealed Deity.

0:1.8 (2.8 ) 5. Evolutional — self-expansive and creature-identified Deity.

0:1.9 (2.9) 6. Supreme — self-experiential and creature-Creator-unifying Deity. Deity functioning on the first creature-identificational level as time-space overcontrollers of the grand universe, sometimes designated the Supremacy of Deity.

0:1.10 (2.10) 7. Ultimate — self-projected and time-space-transcending Deity. Deity omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. Deity functioning on the second level of unifying divinity expression as effective overcontrollers and absonite upholders of the master universe. As compared with the ministry of the Deities to the grand universe, this absonite function in the master universe is tantamount to universal overcontrol and supersustenance, sometimes called the Ultimacy of Deity.

0:1.11 (2.11) The finite level of reality is characterized by creature life and time-space limitations. Finite realities may not have endings, but they always have beginnings — they are created. The Deity level of Supremacy may be conceived as a function in relation to finite existences.

0:1.12 (2.12) The absonite level of reality is characterized by things and beings without beginnings or endings and by the transcendence of time and space. Absoniters are not created; they are eventuated — they simply are. The Deity level of Ultimacy connotes a function in relation to absonite realities. No matter in what part of the master universe, whenever time and space are transcended, such an absonite phenomenon is an act of the Ultimacy of Deity.

0:1.13 (2.13) The absolute level is beginningless, endless, timeless, and spaceless. For example: On Paradise, time and space are nonexistent; the time-space status of Paradise is absolute. This level is Trinity attained, existentially, by the Paradise Deities, but this third level of unifying Deity expression is not fully unified experientially. Whenever, wherever, and however the absolute level of Deity functions, Paradise-absolute values and meanings are manifest.

0:1.14 (3.1) Deity may be existential, as in the Eternal Son; experiential, as in the Supreme Being; associative, as in God the Sevenfold; undivided, as in the Paradise Trinity.

0:1.15 (3.2) Deity is the source of all that which is divine. Deity is characteristically and invariably divine, but all that which is divine is not necessarily Deity, though it will be co-ordinated with Deity and will tend towards some phase of unity with Deity — spiritual, mindal, or personal.

0:1.16 (3.3) DIVINITY is the characteristic, unifying, and co-ordinating quality of Deity.

0:1.17 (3.4) Divinity is creature comprehensible as truth, beauty, and goodness; correlated in personality as love, mercy, and ministry; disclosed on impersonal levels as justice, power, and sovereignty.

0:1.18 (3.5) Divinity may be perfect — complete — as on existential and creator levels of Paradise perfection; it may be imperfect, as on experiential and creature levels of time-space evolution; or it may be relative, neither perfect nor imperfect, as on certain Havona levels of existential-experiential relationships.

0:1.19 (3.6) When we attempt to conceive of perfection in all phases and forms of relativity, we encounter seven conceivable types:

0:1.20 (3.7) 1. Absolute perfection in all aspects.

0:1.21 (3.8 ) 2. Absolute perfection in some phases and relative perfection in all other aspects.

0:1.22 (3.9) 3. Absolute, relative, and imperfect aspects in varied association.

0:1.23 (3.10) 4. Absolute perfection in some respects, imperfection in all others.

0:1.24 (3.11) 5. Absolute perfection in no direction, relative perfection in all manifestations.

0:1.25 (3.12) 6. Absolute perfection in no phase, relative in some, imperfect in others.

0:1.26 (3.13) 7. Absolute perfection in no attribute, imperfection in all.

When I first read this I did not really comprehend it. It really helps to read the book cover to cover a few times to get a feel as to what is being presented. One has to get familiar with the jargon, like the differences between superior, supreme, ultimate, absolute, or personal, prepersonal, superpersonal, etc.

I think that when anyone endeavors to really sink their teeth into this book, to peruse it, they can't help but be awed by - not just the content but, more importantly, the way the content is presented. The Quality of the content, not just the depth, breath and scope.

I believe that if a person is sincere in their search for spiritual understanding and they delve deeply into this book, in order for them to reject it as a revelation, they would have to be willing to sustain certain personal beliefs that forbid a change of mind. The Urantia Book should be very uncomfortable to accept for many people, especially those who are of a dogmatic bend, either religious or scientific.

Paul

PostPosted:  

Another takeaway from Part I

This has to do with that age old question....If God really loves us why is the world the way it is, why do so many horrible things happen, how could a loving God actually allow all this to occur?

5. The Father’s Supreme Rule

3:5.1 (50.6) In his contact with the post-Havona creations, the Universal Father does not exercise his infinite power and final authority by direct transmittal but rather through his Sons and their subordinate personalities. And God does all this of his own free will. Any and all powers delegated, if occasion should arise, if it should become the choice of the divine mind, could be exercised direct; but, as a rule, such action only takes place as a result of the failure of the delegated personality to fulfill the divine trust. At such times and in the face of such default and within the limits of the reservation of divine power and potential, the Father does act independently and in accordance with the mandates of his own choice; and that choice is always one of unfailing perfection and infinite wisdom.

3:5.2 (51.1) The Father rules through his Sons; on down through the universe organization there is an unbroken chain of rulers ending with the Planetary Princes, who direct the destinies of the evolutionary spheres of the Father’s vast domains. It is no mere poetic expression that exclaims: “The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof.” “He removes kings and sets up kings.” “The Most Highs rule in the kingdoms of men.”

3:5.3 (51.2) In the affairs of men’s hearts the Universal Father may not always have his way; but in the conduct and destiny of a planet the divine plan prevails; the eternal purpose of wisdom and love triumphs.

3:5.4 (51.3) Said Jesus: “My Father, who gave them to me, is greater than all; and no one is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.” As you glimpse the manifold workings and view the staggering immensity of God’s well-nigh limitless creation, you may falter in your concept of his primacy, but you should not fail to accept him as securely and everlastingly enthroned at the Paradise center of all things and as the beneficent Father of all intelligent beings. There is but “one God and Father of all, who is above all and in all,” “and he is before all things, and in him all things consist.”

3:5.5 (51.4) The uncertainties of life and the vicissitudes of existence do not in any manner contradict the concept of the universal sovereignty of God. All evolutionary creature life is beset by certain inevitabilities. Consider the following:

3:5.6 (51.5) 1. Is courage — strength of character — desirable? Then must man be reared in an environment which necessitates grappling with hardships and reacting to disappointments.

3:5.7 (51.6) 2. Is altruism — service of one’s fellows — desirable? Then must life experience provide for encountering situations of social inequality.

3:5.8 (51.7) 3. Is hope — the grandeur of trust — desirable? Then human existence must constantly be confronted with insecurities and recurrent uncertainties.

3:5.9 (51.8 ) 4. Is faith — the supreme assertion of human thought — desirable? Then must the mind of man find itself in that troublesome predicament where it ever knows less than it can believe.

3:5.10 (51.9) 5. Is the love of truth and the willingness to go wherever it leads, desirable? Then must man grow up in a world where error is present and falsehood always possible.

3:5.11 (51.10) 6. Is idealism — the approaching concept of the divine — desirable? Then must man struggle in an environment of relative goodness and beauty, surroundings stimulative of the irrepressible reach for better things.

3:5.12 (51.11) 7. Is loyalty — devotion to highest duty — desirable? Then must man carry on amid the possibilities of betrayal and desertion. The valor of devotion to duty consists in the implied danger of default.

3:5.13 (51.12) 8. Is unselfishness — the spirit of self-forgetfulness — desirable? Then must mortal man live face to face with the incessant clamoring of an inescapable self for recognition and honor. Man could not dynamically choose the divine life if there were no self-life to forsake. Man could never lay saving hold on righteousness if there were no potential evil to exalt and differentiate the good by contrast.

3:5.14 (51.13) 9. Is pleasure — the satisfaction of happiness — desirable? Then must man live in a world where the alternative of pain and the likelihood of suffering are ever-present experiential possibilities.

3:5.15 (52.1) Throughout the universe, every unit is regarded as a part of the whole. Survival of the part is dependent on co-operation with the plan and purpose of the whole, the wholehearted desire and perfect willingness to do the Father’s divine will. The only evolutionary world without error (the possibility of unwise judgment) would be a world without free intelligence. In the Havona universe there are a billion perfect worlds with their perfect inhabitants, but evolving man must be fallible if he is to be free. Free and inexperienced intelligence cannot possibly at first be uniformly wise. The possibility of mistaken judgment (evil) becomes sin only when the human will consciously endorses and knowingly embraces a deliberate immoral judgment.

3:5.16 (52.2) The full appreciation of truth, beauty, and goodness is inherent in the perfection of the divine universe. The inhabitants of the Havona worlds do not require the potential of relative value levels as a choice stimulus; such perfect beings are able to identify and choose the good in the absence of all contrastive and thought-compelling moral situations. But all such perfect beings are, in moral nature and spiritual status, what they are by virtue of the fact of existence. They have experientially earned advancement only within their inherent status. Mortal man earns even his status as an ascension candidate by his own faith and hope. Everything divine which the human mind grasps and the human soul acquires is an experiential attainment; it is a reality of personal experience and is therefore a unique possession in contrast to the inherent goodness and righteousness of the inerrant personalities of Havona.

3:5.17 (52.3) The creatures of Havona are naturally brave, but they are not courageous in the human sense. They are innately kind and considerate, but hardly altruistic in the human way. They are expectant of a pleasant future, but not hopeful in the exquisite manner of the trusting mortal of the uncertain evolutionary spheres. They have faith in the stability of the universe, but they are utter strangers to that saving faith whereby mortal man climbs from the status of an animal up to the portals of Paradise. They love the truth, but they know nothing of its soul-saving qualities. They are idealists, but they were born that way; they are wholly ignorant of the ecstasy of becoming such by exhilarating choice. They are loyal, but they have never experienced the thrill of wholehearted and intelligent devotion to duty in the face of temptation to default. They are unselfish, but they never gained such levels of experience by the magnificent conquest of a belligerent self. They enjoy pleasure, but they do not comprehend the sweetness of the pleasure escape from the pain potential.

I was raised Roman Catholic by staunch believing parents who (especially my Father) were reverent and sincere in their approach to God through the church. However, I did not once receive a sufficient answer to the above question from anyone I met regardless of how religious they were. Not until I read the above from the UB did I get a full and complete answer to that very important life question. In fact, there were many questions that went unanswered for many years until this book found me.

Also from Part I

5. Life in Havona

14:5.6 (159.2) There is a refreshing originality about this vast central creation. Aside from the physical organization of matter and the fundamental constitution of the basic orders of intelligent beings and other living things, there is nothing in common between the worlds of Havona. Every one of these planets is an original, unique, and exclusive creation; each planet is a matchless, superb, and perfect production. And this diversity of individuality extends to all features of the physical, intellectual, and spiritual aspects of planetary existence. Each of these billion perfection spheres has been developed and embellished in accordance with the plans of the resident Eternal of Days. And this is just why no two of them are alike.

14:5.7 (159.3) Not until you traverse the last of the Havona circuits and visit the last of the Havona worlds, will the tonic of adventure and the stimulus of curiosity disappear from your career. And then will the urge, the forward impulse of eternity, replace its forerunner, the adventure lure of time.

It is really difficult for me to imagine a billion worlds.
One billion seconds is 31.7 YEARS !!

This idea of traversing this number or even a fraction of this number of unique planets boggles the mind.

Paul

PostPosted:  

xobeht wrote:

It is really difficult for me to imagine a billion worlds.
One billion seconds is 31.7 YEARS !!

This idea of traversing this number or even a fraction of this number of unique planets boggles the mind.

Paul

Can't resist Paul.

If you spent one day on each of the billion worlds of Havona, it would take more then 2.7 million years!

You're right. Mind boggling!

PostPosted:  

Takeaway from Part II

Many of us were raised from this "Christian Puritan" historic remnant that still pervades (more so in the USA) the social religious mores today where the sex urge is considered unspiritual. I know in Catholicism it's still believed that the priests and nuns have a greater "grace" from above with their sacrifice of celibacy.

I have been and still struggle from being overconscientious my entire life and reading this was water for my soul. The last paragraph here I have read countless times, it is a very real comfort for my troubled mind.

34:7.7 (383.1) Those God-knowing men and women who have been born of the Spirit experience no more conflict with their mortal natures than do the inhabitants of the most normal of worlds, planets which have never been tainted with sin nor touched by rebellion. Faith sons work on intellectual levels and live on spiritual planes far above the conflicts produced by unrestrained or unnatural physical desires. The normal urges of animal beings and the natural appetites and impulses of the physical nature are not in conflict with even the highest spiritual attainment except in the minds of ignorant, mistaught, or unfortunately overconscientious persons.

34:7.8 (383.2) Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, “This is the way.”

Also:

48:6.33 (555.1) Law is life itself and not the rules of its conduct. Evil is a transgression of law, not a violation of the rules of conduct pertaining to life, which is the law. Falsehood is not a matter of narration technique but something premeditated as a perversion of truth. The creation of new pictures out of old facts, the restatement of parental life in the lives of offspring — these are the artistic triumphs of truth. The shadow of a hair’s turning, premeditated for an untrue purpose, the slightest twisting or perversion of that which is principle — these constitute falseness. But the fetish of factualized truth, fossilized truth, the iron band of so-called unchanging truth, holds one blindly in a closed circle of cold fact. One can be technically right as to fact and everlastingly wrong in the truth.

48:6.35 (555.3) From them you will learn to let pressure develop stability and certainty; to be faithful and earnest and, withal, cheerful; to accept challenges without complaint and to face difficulties and uncertainties without fear. They will ask: If you fail, will you rise indomitably to try anew? If you succeed, will you maintain a well-balanced poise — a stabilized and spiritualized attitude — throughout every effort in the long struggle to break the fetters of material inertia, to attain the freedom of spirit existence?

48:6.37 (555.5) You will learn that you increase your burdens and decrease the likelihood of success by taking yourself too seriously. Nothing can take precedence over the work of your status sphere — this world or the next. Very important is the work of preparation for the next higher sphere, but nothing equals the importance of the work of the world in which you are actually living. But though the work is important, the self is not. When you feel important, you lose energy to the wear and tear of ego dignity so that there is little energy left to do the work. Self-importance, not work-importance, exhausts immature creatures; it is the self element that exhausts, not the effort to achieve. You can do important work if you do not become self-important; you can do several things as easily as one if you leave yourself out. Variety is restful; monotony is what wears and exhausts. Day after day is alike — just life or the alternative of death.

I keep coming back to these paragraphs. The first paragraph above was confirmation for me. This world seems like a complete perversion of that which is principle, as if most everything I was taught as a child I am finding to be the opposite of the truth. I think we have little knowledge of just how distorted this planet became due to the rebellion that took place so long ago.
I have a difficult time being cheerful during times of struggle, usually I am downright angry so I do a lot of praying for faith. Faith that will allow me to have that persistance discribed above and that ability to leave myself out.

Paul

PostPosted:  

From Part III

Personality Survival

112:0.1 (1225.1) THE evolutionary planets are the spheres of human origin, the initial worlds of the ascending mortal career. Urantia is your starting point; here you and your divine Thought Adjuster are joined in temporary union. You have been endowed with a perfect guide; therefore, if you will sincerely run the race of time and gain the final goal of faith, the reward of the ages shall be yours; you will be eternally united with your indwelling Adjuster. Then will begin your real life, the ascending life, to which your present mortal state is but the vestibule. Then will begin your exalted and progressive mission as finaliters in the eternity which stretches out before you. And throughout all of these successive ages and stages of evolutionary growth, there is one part of you that remains absolutely unaltered, and that is personality — permanence in the presence of change.

112:0.2 (1225.2) While it would be presumptuous to attempt the definition of personality, it may prove helpful to recount some of the things which are known about personality:

112:0.3 (1225.3) 1. Personality is that quality in reality which is bestowed by the Universal Father himself or by the Conjoint Actor, acting for the Father.

112:0.4 (1225.4) 2. It may be bestowed upon any living energy system which includes mind or spirit.

112:0.5 (1225.5) 3. It is not wholly subject to the fetters of antecedent causation. It is relatively creative or cocreative.

112:0.6 (1225.6) 4. When bestowed upon evolutionary material creatures, it causes spirit to strive for the mastery of energy-matter through the mediation of mind.

112:0.7 (1225.7) 5. Personality, while devoid of identity, can unify the identity of any living energy system.

112:0.8 (1225.8 ) 6. It discloses only qualitative response to the personality circuit in contradistinction to the three energies which show both qualitative and quantitative response to gravity.

112:0.9 (1225.9) 7. Personality is changeless in the presence of change.

112:0.10 (1225.10) 8. It can make a gift to God — dedication of the free will to the doing of the will of God.

112:0.11 (1225.11) 9. It is characterized by morality — awareness of relativity of relationship with other persons. It discerns conduct levels and choosingly discriminates between them.

112:0.12 (1225.12) 10. Personality is unique, absolutely unique: It is unique in time and space; it is unique in eternity and on Paradise; it is unique when bestowed — there are no duplicates; it is unique during every moment of existence; it is unique in relation to God — he is no respecter of persons, but neither does he add them together, for they are nonaddable — they are associable but nontotalable.

112:0.13 (1226.1) 11. Personality responds directly to other-personality presence.

112:0.14 (1226.2) 12. It is one thing which can be added to spirit, thus illustrating the primacy of the Father in relation to the Son. (Mind does not have to be added to spirit.)

112:0.15 (1226.3) 13. Personality may survive mortal death with identity in the surviving soul. The Adjuster and the personality are changeless; the relationship between them (in the soul) is nothing but change, continuing evolution; and if this change (growth) ceased, the soul would cease.

112:0.16 (1226.4) 14. Personality is uniquely conscious of time, and this is something other than the time perception of mind or spirit.

1. Personality and Reality

112:1.1 (1226.5) Personality is bestowed by the Universal Father upon his creatures as a potentially eternal endowment. Such a divine gift is designed to function on numerous levels and in successive universe situations ranging from the lowly finite to the highest absonite, even to the borders of the absolute. Personality thus performs on three cosmic planes or in three universe phases:

112:1.2 (1226.6) 1. Position status. Personality functions equally efficiently in the local universe, in the superuniverse, and in the central universe.

112:1.3 (1226.7) 2. Meaning status. Personality performs effectively on the levels of the finite, the absonite, and even as impinging upon the absolute.

112:1.4 (1226.8 ) 3. Value status. Personality can be experientially realized in the progressive realms of the material, the morontial, and the spiritual.

112:1.5 (1226.9) Personality has a perfected range of cosmic dimensional performance. The dimensions of finite personality are three, and they are roughly functional as follows:

112:1.6 (1226.10) 1. Length represents direction and nature of progression — movement through space and according to time — evolution.

112:1.7 (1226.11) 2. Vertical depth embraces the organismal drives and attitudes, the varying levels of self-realization and the general phenomenon of reaction to environment.

112:1.8 (1226.12) 3. Breadth embraces the domain of co-ordination, association, and selfhood organization.

The UB explains that we are basically a five part being--body, mind, spirit, personality and soul. I find this entire section on personality survival to be fascinating. The parts of the UB that speak about salvation and survival are some of the most important parts for me personally. I truly feel that my religious upbringing did not allow me survival confidence at all, rather the opposite. I harboured a lot of fear and doubt spiritually growing up the way I did.

Paul