Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:26 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted:  

I have spend considerable amounts of time scouring the Urantia Book on the subject of the religion of Islam to see what it has to say about it. What I discovered is a mild criticism of Islam in that it endeavors to spread itself by military force, and that it vehemently closes itself to the notion of a Triune God.

What therefore I don't understand is that nearly ALL of the Urantia Book devotees that I have thus far come across openly express themselves as FULLY in favor of EVERYTHING concerning Islam, the contents of the Quran, their "holy book", and all that Muslims do in their behavior and culture. In a near unanimous chorus, nearly all the Urantia folks that I have come across would heartily welcome 10,000's of Islamic militants onto their land with great doting, enthusiasm, and open arms.

On Facebook, I have been having quite a beef with Islam, seeing what it teachings and observing what Muslims are doing throughout the world. Yet I can scarsely get one single Urantia devotee to support me in my postings that are meant to caution the world regarding Islam.

Why is that, considering what I have found written in the Urantia Book?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted:  

Dude, I don’t know, that’s a tough one. You are correct, the UB is critical or Islam. However, it is also critical of Christianity. There are things I find distasteful about Islam, but there are also things I find distasteful about Christianity. At this time in history, it appears to me that Islam is somewhat behind Christianity in some respects… it appears slightly more primitive.

That being said, the UB teaches us that ALL religions are valid just to the extent which they bring the individual closer to God. Billions of individuals have lived and flourished spiritually under Islam, and millions continue to do so. I see no reason why billions will not continue to do so into the future.

To me, your comment about letting in tens of thousands of radicals is much more telling than anything else in your question. By “radicals” I assume you are referring to the thousands of men women and children who have chosen to flee a war torn country, a war fostered as much by the policies of our western nations as by the “radicals” who have filled the vacuum which our policies have helped to create? For what makes a “radical”? Perhaps if you lived in a simple village where death reigned out of the skies in periodic and random ways, you too might harbor a grudge against the nation states who dealt this type of death to your friends and family? You are aware of the statistic which states that 90% of drone deaths are to innocents? Even if this number is greatly inflated, we are creating thousands of “radicals” every year with our policies.

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

alwilliams767 wrote:
You are aware of the statistic which states that 90% of drone deaths are to innocents? Even if this number is greatly inflated, we are creating thousands of “radicals” every year with our policies.

The bombs we dropped on Japan slaughtered hundreds of thousands of innocent people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but no Japanese "radicals" were created. Why is that? What is the difference between the two religions that gives us such opposite results?

The Urantia Papers tell us that we are to learn the best of what the world's religions have to offer and that each religion does indeed have something worthy to consider. It does not say that we are to swallow the entire religion without chewing. We're supposed to find the best part. The Papers point out to us the parts of Islam not worthy of adopting; we have to discover the parts that are worthy for ourselves. Religion is a personal matter.

According to Paper 95, the strength of Islam is its belief in one supreme God. As far as I can tell, that is the only endorsement given in the Papers. Personally, I have found that Islam has a healthier attitude toward the principle of original sin than Christianity or Judaism, and I think the religion does do a very decent job with ethics and fellowshipping its members (but only its members). That's the limit of what I think is worth taking for myself in regards to Islam, not that there aren't other concepts of note, such as the emphasis on prayer, but unfortunately they are rote prayers, not to my taste.

Religion is an entirely individual thing. The revelation teaches me that I can borrow what I find of value from any or all of the world's religions, but I don't have to accept each and every one lock, stock and barrel. I do have to accept the value of every religionist, however. But, I do not have to invite them all into my house. I'm supposed to be wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove.

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Rexford wrote:
The bombs we dropped on Japan slaughtered hundreds of thousands of innocent people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but no Japanese "radicals" were created. Why is that? What is the difference between the two religions that gives us such opposite results?

How do you know that for a fact? Do you know *every* Japanese citizen who ever lived and all that each of them ever did in their life?

As a matter of fact, I can quickly identify at least one instance.

Posting Guidelines:
This discussion board, as an extension of the Truthbook.com website, has one primary goal:
To be a safe place where newcomers to The Urantia Book can ask questions and explore the teachings of The Urantia Book in a communal setting.
...discussions about political campaigns, political parties, an individual's or group's political leanings, or politicians are not allowed and will be deleted.
and
Please Do Not:
8. Use language that is intended to demean, victimize, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, race, religious beliefs or sexual orientation. Hate speech and/or images are always unacceptable.
Admin

PostPosted:  

I look at it this way. We are at war. ISIS has taken territory and has set up a state governed by a caliphate. This new Islamic State has declared war on America, Russia, Europe and anyone who doesn't accept their caliphate.

Posting Guidelines:
This discussion board, as an extension of the Truthbook.com website, has one primary goal:
To be a safe place where newcomers to The Urantia Book can ask questions and explore the teachings of The Urantia Book in a communal setting.
...discussions about political campaigns, political parties, an individual's or group's political leanings, or politicians are not allowed and will be deleted.
and
Please Do Not:
8. Use language that is intended to demean, victimize, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, race, religious beliefs or sexual orientation. Hate speech and/or images are always unacceptable.
Admin

PostPosted:  

Greetings Agon,

Aum Shinrikyo, as far as I can tell, has nothing at all to do with the bombings of innocents in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It is a Buddhist doomsday cult. Shinto was the state religion of Japan during WWII. There are no radical terrorist Shinto sects waging a war of retaliation that I know of. 80% of the people of Japan practice Shintoism, one of the "Salem inspired religions".

In Japan this proto-Taoism was known as Shinto, and in this country, far-distant from Salem of Palestine, the peoples learned of the incarnation of Machiventa Melchizedek, who dwelt upon earth that the name of God might not be forgotten by mankind. 94:5:6

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Rexford wrote:
Greetings Agon,

Aum Shinrikyo, as far as I can tell, has nothing at all to do with the bombings of innocents in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It is a Buddhist doomsday cult.

Posting Guidelines:
and
Please Do Not:
Admin

PostPosted:  

Greetings Agon,

It is true that radical Islam is both a religion and a political ideology, but I don't think there are any parallels worth mentioning with the Red Army of Japan, which was solely a political group. I haven't read anything that says the Red Army was formed in retaliation to WWII bombing of innocents either. Just because it is a militant group doesn't mean that it has its origins in something the United States did or did not do in the past. The Red Army was a communist group. It was a political group, and since communism is anti-religion, I doubt it had many devotees of organized religion.

If all suffering results in radicalism, then the entire world population should be at arms, but it isn't. Civilized people are tired of retaliation, vengeance and retribution. Reality is that the warring parties are a minority fighting against the majority. We are told what we are supposed to do about that. The reason our world was isolated from the rest of the universe was because of an alienating, rebellious minority (a.k.a., anti-social). The universe built an impenetrable wall around us, then sent emissaries of truth. Can we do the same with these "headstrong, wicked and rebellious" anti-social minorities?

Therefore it is sometimes with the hope of conserving and safeguarding these phases of God's precious presence that, when some planets (or even systems) have plunged far into spiritual darkness, they are in a certain sense quarantined, or partially isolated from intercourse with the larger units of creation. And all this, as it operates on Urantia, is a spiritually defensive reaction of the majority of the worlds to save themselves, as far as possible, from suffering the isolating consequences of the alienating acts of a headstrong, wicked, and rebellious minority. 3:1:10

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Let's not be refighting wars or discussing politics. The original question was why do UBers seem to support Islam. I think the answer has to do with pervasive liberal progressive social attitudes and I believe if a poll of students of TUB were taken it would show most are liberal, not conservative in thought. One liberal belief is to be nonjudgmental... everything is beautiful, love every one every thing unconditionally, Muslims are the same as Christians are the same as..., New Age is the same as the Urantia revelation, etc., beliefs which I think show a lack in both discretion and discernment, living in an ideological mind set rather than realistically. TUB provides profound new information and the framework for the development of a realistic approach to life in general, but I believe the latter is lacking in many of its adherents.

TUB does not defend or recommend any political system or religion. It promotes the personal development of the religion of the spirit.

Larry

PostPosted:  

nodAmanav wrote:
Quote:
I have often pondered this question: Was Jesus liberal, or conservative? I think he was both. He was liberal when the situation warranted it, and visa-versa.

Would Jesus support the rescue of innocent refugees? Yes. Would Jesus support the defense of society from radical religious extremist who seek to kill? Yes.

Being alive on this planet is like being in hell.

Jesus was a perfect human being. No label is appropriate for him. He would do the perfect thing to do in any situation. There is no greater lesson than to learn the life he lived in this world. He did not consider living in this planet as like being in hell.

PostPosted:  

I'm not perfect. So for me, sometimes it is. Like hell.

PostPosted:  

Raymond Benjamins wrote:
I have spend considerable amounts of time scouring the Urantia Book on the subject of the religion of Islam to see what it has to say about it. What I discovered is a mild criticism of Islam in that it endeavors to spread itself by military force, and that it vehemently closes itself to the notion of a Triune God.

What therefore I don't understand is that nearly ALL of the Urantia Book devotees that I have thus far come across openly express themselves as FULLY in favor of EVERYTHING concerning Islam, the contents of the Quran, their "holy book", and all that Muslims do in their behavior and culture. In a near unanimous chorus, nearly all the Urantia folks that I have come across would heartily welcome 10,000's of Islamic militants onto their land with great doting, enthusiasm, and open arms.

On Facebook, I have been having quite a beef with Islam, seeing what it teachings and observing what Muslims are doing throughout the world. Yet I can scarsely get one single Urantia devotee to support me in my postings that are meant to caution the world regarding Islam.

Why is that, considering what I have found written in the Urantia Book?

Hello Raymond: First let me say that your sweeping statements regarding "ALL" "FULLY" and "EVERYTHING" are very misleading and false on their face or else you have "thus far come across" very FEW readers/devotees. The full political spectrum is well represented in the readership and none of them represent ALL of anyone or anything. Such hyperbole is not a productive form of communication.

Second, Jesus reprimanded the Apostles that they were merely ambassadors of the kingdom and their role was to add to the religious life of others with truth, beauty, and goodness - NOT to remove anything or criticize anything - especially so the religion of one's fathers - and said that He did not come to judge or condemn the Jews or anyone else.

Third, you seem to be attempting to combine politics with personal religion as presented in text and trying to identify the worthy and the unworthy by a non or impersonal manner to a whole population of people based exclusively on a religious tradition that is about as homogenous as Christianity or Judaism.

Fourth, over half the refugees of the 10,000 are children, including many orphans....and very few are young men or single women likely to be radicals or radicalized. Your wild claim that all 10,000 are radical "militants" is a condemning falsehood (perhaps bald face LIE would be more accurate). Consider the parable of the good Samaritan - exactly WHO is your neighbor Raymond?

This is not a site for political discussions, as previously pointed out, but one might say that your positions are less about politics than one's understanding of humanity and love of others - even those who may revile, abuse, and even kill you for your love and kindness. Perhaps some study on the Jesusonian gospel and lessons would be more profitable for you and for us all. Just sayin'.....Your post demonstrates your lack of knowledge about the Urantia Book and its teachings. Perhaps this is why you are not getting any traction with students of the Papers due to their greater understanding and appreciation of the teachings...you're not getting much traction here either - neither fear nor hate have any place in this community. Try another topic perhaps?

8)

PostPosted:  

Greetings fanofVan,

fanofVan wrote:
Your post demonstrates your lack of knowledge about the Urantia Book and its teachings. Perhaps this is why you are not getting any traction with students of the Papers due to their greater understanding and appreciation of the teachings...you're not getting much traction here either - neither fear nor hate have any place in this community. Try another topic perhaps?

I think this is rather harsh. Mr. Benjamins asked a valid question with no discernible innuendo of fear or hate by my estimation. Why the personal attack? Certainly he has gotten traction here on this forum with, what I think has been an intelligent discussion, up to this point.

Stymied,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Rexford....as usual....I agree with you. Been a bad day.

Raymond Benjamin - my sincere apologies for my hyperbolic overreaction and my own very poor ambassadorship. You are entitled to your opinions and to feel safe here to air them. No excuses for my tone...or content. Best wishes.

Thanks Rexford. You shine brother.

:( 8)

PostPosted:  

Ray's always stirring it up.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next