Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:39 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

The Urantia Book says that worship is more pleasing to God than prayer. How, then, are we to worship? What does worship according to the Urantia Book consist of and look like?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Quote:
The Urantia Book says that worship is more pleasing to God than prayer. How, then, are we to worship? What does worship according to the Urantia Book consist of and look like?

Yoder,

How did you know that the UB says that worship is more pleasing to God than prayer? I know, you have read it. Why don't you continue reading the UB to get the answer to your questions? Are you just lazy?

PostPosted:  

YSMAEL wrote:
Quote:

Yoder,

How did you know that the UB says that worship is more pleasing to God than prayer? I know, you have read it. Why don't you continue reading the UB to get the answer to your questions? Are you just lazy?

The Urantia Book says that prayer is often for the benefit of the self while worship is for worship's sake, the glorification of God. The Urantia Book says that worship is a higher form of spiritual practice than prayer. Can you please not pretend that you don't know what I am talking about?

PostPosted:  

Hi Yoder, I guess we must be (at least) third circlers to be able to actually/truly worship God.. Until then, we can only thank and pray.. O:)

PostPosted:  

Worship is for its own sake; prayer embodies a self- or creature-interest element; that is the great difference between worship and prayer. There is absolutely no self-request or other element of personal interest in true worship; we simply worship God for what we comprehend him to be. Worship asks nothing and expects nothing for the worshiper.

Sincere worship connotes the mobilization of all the powers of the human personality under the dominance of the evolving soul and subject to the divine directionization of the associated Thought Adjuster.

True worship, in the last analysis, becomes an experience realized on four cosmic levels: the intellectual, the morontial, the spiritual, and the personal — the consciousness of mind, soul, and spirit, and their unification in personality.

5:3.3 Worship is for its own sake; prayer embodies a self- or creature-interest element; that is the great difference between worship and prayer. There is absolutely no self-request or other element of personal interest in true worship; we simply worship God for what we comprehend him to be. Worship asks nothing and expects nothing for the worshiper. We do not worship the Father because of anything we may derive from such veneration; we render such devotion and engage in such worship as a natural and spontaneous reaction to the recognition of the Father’s matchless personality and because of his lovable nature and adorable attributes.

5:3.4 The moment the element of self-interest intrudes upon worship, that instant devotion translates from worship to prayer and more appropriately should be directed to the person of the Eternal Son or the Creator Son. But in practical religious experience there exists no reason why prayer should not be addressed to God the Father as a part of true worship.

5:3.5 When you deal with the practical affairs of your daily life, you are in the hands of the spirit personalities having origin in the Third Source and Center; you are co-operating with the agencies of the Conjoint Actor. And so it is: You worship God; pray to, and commune with, the Son; and work out the details of your earthly sojourn in connection with the intelligences of the Infinite Spirit operating on your world and throughout your universe.

5:3.6 The Creator or Sovereign Sons who preside over the destinies of the local universes stand in the place of both the Universal Father and the Eternal Son of Paradise. These Universe Sons receive, in the name of the Father, the adoration of worship and give ear to the pleas of their petitioning subjects throughout their respective creations. To the children of a local universe a Michael Son is, to all practical intents and purposes, God. He is the local universe personification of the Universal Father and the Eternal Son. The Infinite Spirit maintains personal contact with the children of these realms through the Universe Spirits, the administrative and creative associates of the Paradise Creator Sons.

5:3.7 Sincere worship connotes the mobilization of all the powers of the human personality under the dominance of the evolving soul and subject to the divine directionization of the associated Thought Adjuster. The mind of material limitations can never become highly conscious of the real significance of true worship. Man’s realization of the reality of the worship experience is chiefly determined by the developmental status of his evolving immortal soul. The spiritual growth of the soul takes place wholly independently of the intellectual self-consciousness.

5:3.8 The worship experience consists in the sublime attempt of the betrothed Adjuster to communicate to the divine Father the inexpressible longings and the unutterable aspirations of the human soul — the conjoint creation of the God-seeking mortal mind and the God-revealing immortal Adjuster. Worship is, therefore, the act of the material mind’s assenting to the attempt of its spiritualizing self, under the guidance of the associated spirit, to communicate with God as a faith son of the Universal Father. The mortal mind consents to worship; the immortal soul craves and initiates worship; the divine Adjuster presence conducts such worship in behalf of the mortal mind and the evolving immortal soul. True worship, in the last analysis, becomes an experience realized on four cosmic levels: the intellectual, the morontial, the spiritual, and the personal — the consciousness of mind, soul, and spirit, and their unification in personality.

PostPosted:  

Bart wrote:
Hi Yoder, I guess we must be (at least) third circlers to be able to actually/truly worship God.. Until then, we can only thank and pray.. O:)

I don't think so Bart....worship, per the quotes provided by Coop, is a pure and selfless yearning, longing, and affection directed to Father. Not a conversation or petition....nothing is asked for - even for others - I don't think in worship. I've always felt most worshipful in song...the music carries my soul upward and inward for its own pleasure and reward.

But communion? I agree that is probably third circle territory....maybe even fusion is required. To feel like you are in the very presence of Father, an intimacy that transcends prayer and worship both I think.

PostPosted:  

I love the fact that this forum doesn't automatically lock conversations that are years old. Maybe this is a recognition of the timeless nature of these conversations.

"Worship" is a bit of a puzzle for me.

I'm not sure how much of an overlap this is with Coop's post, but there's a nice collection of UB quotes at:
https://truthbook.com/urantia/topical-studies/worship

While reading these, I got caught up in the idea that "I want to learn this 'worship' practice since it seems to provide loads of benefits", but then, the quotes themselves point out that "There is absolutely no self-request or other element of personal interest in true worship".

Sometimes I contemplate the amazing fact of existence: "Why is there something and not nothing ?"

Is this worship ?
There's no element of "personality" in it, I don't feel like I'm communing with anyone. While I intend to try to do this more often, will I sometime start to experience a personal relationship here ?

PostPosted:  

tlhall wrote:
...There's no element of "personality" in it, I don't feel like I'm communing with anyone. While I intend to try to do this more often, will I sometime start to experience a personal relationship here ?

Worship has to be between at least two persons, no? It helps me to treat prayer as a conversation with God, worship as a hug. The one factor that determines the depth and satisfaction of worship is love for Our Father. Consider Blaise Pascal's words, that the UB editors deemed worthy of inclusion:

...It is literally true, “Human things must be known in order to be loved, but divine things must be loved in order to be known.” 102:1.1 (1118.4)

PostPosted:  

Isn't communion done between the mortal mind and the Son? Wouldn't worship be between the soul and the Father? It is written that mortal mind can never become highly conscious of the significance of worship. If communion is desired, then I agree another personality is necessary and the Spirit of the Son would be best suited since the Thought Adjuster is prepersonal. Reference:

(66.1) 5:3.5 When you deal with the practical affairs of your daily life, you are in the hands of the spirit personalities having origin in the Third Source and Center; you are co-operating with the agencies of the Conjoint Actor. And so it is: You worship God; pray to, and commune with, the Son; and work out the details of your earthly sojourn in connection with the intelligences of the Infinite Spirit operating on your world and throughout your universe.

PostPosted:  

katroofjebus wrote:
Isn't communion done between the mortal mind and the Son? Wouldn't worship be between the soul and the Father?

Hmm....Good question, but isn't mind the gateway rather than the worshiper? Seems like it should be the humble personality that worships its Divine Source.

PostPosted:  

rick warren wrote:
Seems like it should be the humble personality that worships its Divine Source.

Are you equating communion with worship? Are they the same thing?

Isn't it the soul that initiates worship? And isn't it the personality that unifies the experience? Reference:

(66.4) 5:3.8 The mortal mind consents to worship; the immortal soul craves and initiates worship; the divine Adjuster presence conducts such worship in behalf of the mortal mind and the evolving immortal soul. True worship, in the last analysis, becomes an experience realized on four cosmic levels: the intellectual, the morontial, the spiritual, and the personal--the consciousness of mind, soul, and spirit, and their unification in personality

PostPosted:  

5:3.3 Worship is for its own sake; prayer embodies a self- or creature-interest element; that is the great difference between worship and prayer. There is absolutely no self-request or other element of personal interest in true worship; we simply worship God for what we comprehend him to be. Worship asks nothing and expects nothing for the worshiper. We do not worship the Father because of anything we may derive from such veneration; we render such devotion and engage in such worship as a natural and spontaneous reaction to the recognition of the Father’s matchless personality and because of his lovable nature and adorable attributes.

Since there is absolutely no self request or other element of personal interest in true worship, trying to define or dissect worship is detrimental to the experience.

PostPosted:  

katroofjebus wrote:
Are you equating communion with worship? Are they the same thing?

Good question, katroofjebus. I think of intimacy equating with worship.

The UB authors use communion and worship interchangeably in some cases:

Quote:
...Worship is the act of the son’s personal communion with the divine Father, the assumption of refreshing, creative, fraternal, and romantic attitudes by the human soul-spirit.143:7.8 (1616.10)

PostPosted:  

Could there be different levels of communion? If worship is effortless attention, true soul rest, and the tuning of the soul to catch universe broadcasts of the Universal Father, is that the same as intimacy and the sharing of personality? References

(1616.9) 143:7.7 Prayer is self-reminding—sublime thinking; worship is self-forgetting—superthinking. Worship is effortless attention, true and ideal soul rest, a form of restful spiritual exertion.

(1621.7) 144:4.8 As prayer may be likened to recharging the spiritual batteries of the soul, so worship may be compared to the act of tuning in the soul to catch the universe broadcasts of the infinite spirit of the Universal Father.

Since it is written in (66.1) 5:3.5 that man worships God and communes with the Son, is there a difference in this instance? If communion involves personal sharing of intimate thoughts and feelings, is it always worship or can it be something else?

Jesus said that if one communes freely with him one will be infused with his living spirit such that asking for what his spirit wills will actually happen. It implies a communal "oneness" of deep intimacy in order to ask for what Jesus himself wills. It is reminiscent of the reference explaining the ability to exchange one's mind for the mind of Jesus, which I understand as another example of communion. Reference:

(1945.4) 180:2.1 If you abide in me and my words live in you, you will be able to commune freely with me, and then can my living spirit so infuse you that you may ask whatsoever my spirit wills and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition.

Is this communion with the Son any different from the communion of worship? Or are they all one in the same?

PostPosted:  

katroofjebus wrote:
Could there be different levels of communion? If worship is effortless attention, true soul rest, and the tuning of the soul to catch universe broadcasts of the Universal Father, is that the same as intimacy and the sharing of personality? References

(1616.9) 143:7.7 Prayer is self-reminding—sublime thinking; worship is self-forgetting—superthinking. Worship is effortless attention, true and ideal soul rest, a form of restful spiritual exertion.

(1621.7) 144:4.8 As prayer may be likened to recharging the spiritual batteries of the soul, so worship may be compared to the act of tuning in the soul to catch the universe broadcasts of the infinite spirit of the Universal Father.

Since it is written in (66.1) 5:3.5 that man worships God and communes with the Son, is there a difference in this instance? If communion involves personal sharing of intimate thoughts and feelings, is it always worship or can it be something else?

Jesus said that if one communes freely with him one will be infused with his living spirit such that asking for what his spirit wills will actually happen. It implies a communal "oneness" of deep intimacy in order to ask for what Jesus himself wills. It is reminiscent of the reference explaining the ability to exchange one's mind for the mind of Jesus, which I understand as another example of communion. Reference:

(1945.4) 180:2.1 If you abide in me and my words live in you, you will be able to commune freely with me, and then can my living spirit so infuse you that you may ask whatsoever my spirit wills and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition.

Is this communion with the Son any different from the communion of worship? Or are they all one in the same?

Wellll, good points all, but communion can be prayer too:

Quote:
...But the truest prayer is in reality a communion between man and his Maker.... 91:2.3 (996.1)