Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:05 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

A little background: I was raised Christian, then converted to Atheism a few years back. I recently stumbled upon my Urantia book when I was cleaning out my old bedroom. I had bought the book when I was about 15 because I heard my dad talking about "This strange cult" so I thought it'd be fun to put the book in my room as a joke.

Well, the joke seems to be on me now because after reading through some of it I am absolutely obsessed with its story!

*End of background*

I can honestly say that I hope the world works as described in the Urantia, however I'm having trouble verifying if it is real.

I read the "History of the Urantia Papers" and was shocked to hear about the mutiny of the forum lead by Sherman, the secrecy of the SS & the handwritten manuscrpts, and the Foundation's strange obsession of the trademark/copyright. To me these are all red flags that make it difficult to believe the TUB genuine.

I was considering asking God/Jesus/Michael to assist or flat-out show me if the Urantia is true. Does anyone have experience with this? How would I do this? Is there a proper way to pray to the God that the Urantia refers to?

I hope I am not offending anyone & I don't mean to say the TUB isn't true, just that I want to believe it as real but I'm having doubts since I've been Atheist for a good while now.

Thanks for listening.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Knowing the reality of God must be through personal religious experience. Similarly, only through personal religious experience, one may know if the Urantia Book is a true revelation. In other words, God shows through personal religious experience. If you are sure of the reality of God via personal experience, you will experience similarly with the Urantia Book.

PostPosted:  

Tony,

Thank you for the response.

When you speak of personal religious experience, could you cite an experience of your own?

My main questions are:
1a) Can I find out the Urantia is true by asking God to show me?
1b) If you have encountered a personal answer to this question from a celestial source can you share the details with me.

2) How do I pray according to the TUB? I used to be Christian but I'm not sure if prayer works the same as I was taught in church.

3) Does anyone think I'm going about this the wrong way & can suggest an alternate path to verifying that the Urantia is truth?

Thanks,
Mon

PostPosted:  

It would seem, Mon, that you are looking for academic verification. That will come in time, as you study the book and realize that there are no contradictions in all its many pages, as you gradually gain intellectual peace as a result of contemplating the many concepts they introduce ... most particularly the presence of the indwelling God Fragment that lures us into consciousness of a greater reality than that which we know in the finite world.

When we are born into this world, we seek answers with the human mind, but when we are born of the spirit, we seek answers with our soul and they are answered, they are responded to. I have always found that when I ask Jesus in sincerity, and if I am patient, he will tell me what I need to know. And at every crossroad, his Spirit of Truth will always reveal to us "this is the way." Growing our own soul is the most intimate and personal thing that can be done, and it will vary from one person to the next so no two people will likely define it the same way but those who are assured of divinity are able to say "I know that I know!"

Spiritual evolution is a process. It does not happen in the blink of an eye. There are many soul struggles, cultural conflicts, and grappling with values that go into developing our faith and our potential. Take your time, enjoy the process, and let your faith flower.

PostPosted:  

I was raised as an atheist. During one of life crisis, I asked if God could help me. But logically, I asked whether God exist first. I asked God to show me by promising that I would join a church. After I came out the water of baptism, tear continued pouring out of my eyes. I took this experience as God showed me the reality of God.

However, the church I joined did not have deep knowledge of God. I doubted my baptism experience as personal over reaction. I went back to atheism/agnosticism due to personal encounter with a nihilist. I felt the false liberation of nihilism, but suffered deeply of purposelessness of life. In sheer boredom, I discovered the Urantia Book on the internet. The concepts of God presented in TUB are so outstanding that I was out of the hell of nihilism. Since that day, I have not read another book which can describe reality better if God is taken as reality. Simply based on the Deity concepts revealed in TUB alone, I deem it to be a revelation from higher source. I personally can not imagine mortals can come up with so many superb Deity ideas/ideals.

1a) You really need to read TUB in order to have the asked personal religious experience.

1b) I personally think expecting celestial help is often misleading.

2) If you really want to know, just read the book which teaches you on effective prayers.

3) You need to do the work of reading the book. Maybe, you can get lucky without the hard labor, but I doubt it. None of those who really get it is being spoon fed.

PostPosted:  

Dear monarlais,

This quote came to mind when reading your post, and the responses of others:

Quote:
If any man chooses to do the divine will, he shall know the way of truth. It is literally true, "Human things must be known in order to be loved, but divine things must be loved in order to be known."

http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1354#U102_1_1

As some have said, it is your personal experience, driven by your personal desire to know that will provide the answers you seek.

And as for your wariness regarding the "red flags" that have surrounded The Urantia Book and its movement through the world, I can understand your position. For a time, I withdrew myself from all of it, as I felt the revelation had been tainted so much by the purely human controversies. But then, I could not deny the truth of what I was experiencing with the Father. Personal experience is the proof. There is no substitute for it. The book itself stands alone and above all human efforts to manipulate or manage it. We humans are simply flawed, and this sort of thing is probably inevitable, but can be understood and ignored in our search for truth.

Nearly all of the five epochal revelations of God to this planet have had difficulties. The history of the Lucifer rebellion explains a lot of it, and I sometimes wonder if there are not efforts even now being made to derail this fifth epochal revelation as well. But its publication as a book which is now available world-wide seems to be a brilliant modification from all the other revelations, which were in the form of spiritual personalities, and quite limited in relation to the world-at-large for their time (although the revelation of the Son of man continues to exert a tremendous influence on the world). I think we have to understand that anything that has human beings involved has the potential for error, for ego, for motivations that are less than pure. This makes no difference whatsoever, in my opinion, as to the validity of the truth contained in the book. Again, it is YOUR relation to the book - YOUR determination to uncover the truth - that will make the difference, and that will produce the understanding and peace that you seek.

Thanks for coming by, and I hope you'll continue to post...

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

Hi Monarlais,

My post will be short. Tony posted the truth. You have to read the book to know. Read with an open mind and all your questions will be answered one way or another. No one can tell you how to pray. My recommendation is to go inside of yourself and ask for help. Just say, "I need help, Father." Ask your questions in your mind. The spark of God that lives within you lives right next to the 'seat of your personality'. At the very center of your Being. So go in and dive deep... and ask for help.

God Bless friend,

Bill

PostPosted:  

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my questions/concerns in both this thread and PMs.

As of a few nights ago I've started to seriously read through the book with the intent to finish. I'm also praying everyday to Jesus asking that if he exists if he would speak to me in a way that I would recognize as undeniably coming from him, or a messenger of his, and further more asking for him to let me know in someway whether or not the Urantia is truly a revelation from his celestial creatures.

I will definitely update when I hear/see/feel anything, or when I finish the book.and come to a conclusion. But I can definitely say I feel much better about this after reading everyone's responses.

Mon

PostPosted:  

Monarlais

Luckly for me I came across the teachings long before the immature contretemps between members of the Fellowship and the Foundation.

As far as the Sherman Diaries, I take them with a great grain of salt. Also, it would be very rare, indeed, to have a set of teachings this dynamic fall from the heavens and not have a number of eccentrics expoit their own agendas with it. I would have been very surprised if someone, somehow, somewhere didn't use the Urantia Book for their own short sight and self-centered dominations. It is very powerful, and many have been tempted by this power.

Use the power, but responsibly! It works, it really does.

PostPosted:  

Aloha Monarlias.....what a blessing to be a atheist and yet have a Urantia Book buried in your room...God does have a sense of humor...

As for me I started reading the Life and Teaching of Jesus first and would jump around to other pages that caught my interest. After 35years I am still jumping... :wink:

Hope you stick around...

PostPosted:  

Hey monalaris, yes there are way's you can test out something to see if it is true.

there is 1st the scientific evidence of urantia which is a "revelation", and much has been proven to be true and it looks as though much is about to be.

Secondly if you pray for advice to the truth of this book, and you are really sincere you will be heard, and a response will be given to you if you are sincere and open to the universe. This book does represent an oppurtunity to be a spiritual stimulus that will get you going to where you wanna be. Divinity is very much aware of this fact, and they will respond to your request if you are really needing help and you really are expecting advice.

I have used prayer in a life or death situation, in which I had exhausted all human facultie's to save another human's life. I knew that this human was going to commit suicide and this would affect his entire universe career. This person had entrusted me with their supreme trust and loyallty so I felt I was being asked to undertake an almost impossible task. I tried to my humanly best to do everything I could to save his life, and as I could sense he was drawing nearer to certain suicide I basically threw a hail marry up and prayed for divine help, the angels immediately replied to me and I was given clarity>:). I am not going to go into specific's because I learned that if you have faith keep it to yourself :)

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Mona
the users have said very correctly.
I know nothing about the events of Urantia Story.
When i discovered a Urantia Book i waited for another 3 years.
I could not read istantly the book but probably i needed of a reflection of 3 years.
I had belief always and i'havent had need anything spare.
The Urantia Book are not needful but it si a stimulating and practical help.
For me is important find or find again the faith, the adding will itself.
When we pray, we ask God to give us the faith.

PostPosted:  

I was born a christian. As i grew up, the Bible began to sowed confusion in my mind; seemingly conflicting concepts; and unverified writers. But the belief in God justt never can leave me, not a moment in my life. I then prayed about it.

I then i question the truthfullness of christian's/church's/apostles/writer's teaching (not Jesus's teachings); why is it so fragmented, why can't they just say things as it is? I try my hands on Gnostic Gospel (supposedly the secret sayings-wisdom of Jesus Christ; some contents the reports from the apostles);.I investigates many churches and dominations; I also tried to know Eastern religions and materials- (Sidhu Baba's personal dialogue and lesson with the master Jesus himself and others);-(all these are going to have some bearing to TUB later on) I then pray about it.

I then begin to say and think that maybe only if the dead came back and tell the tale, i would believe. Then i prayed about it. I began to print and read volumes of this Near Death Experience - IANDS site (the skeptics and believers alike). It was after reading one of the book that a small spiritual experience occured to me, convincing me that it was true and that i must keep searching. I was so moved; body shivering and tears running down, i knelt down and prayed:' Father, if this is true and if there is truth on earth today, show me and i want to be in the truth, Amen." (these also going to have bearing on TUB later on.)

In continuing my search, l was then led to type 'truth' on my pc; the rest is history.
Therefore, I would not believe TUB by itself alone without those other prior experience and inputs; neither would TUB be final and ultimate in its truth, but it puts all that i knew in proper perspective. At first i intellectualized, then it went even deeper becoming a belief and faith, which i cannot explains but my very deep inner me tells me that it contend truths(all those dots begins to get connected), and so i believe.

I still keep myself open, though.

PostPosted:  

Hi babuk...I think that is a common thread that runs in us readers....we had a yearning search to know and want more...as is said...Seek and ye shall find... :wink:

PostPosted:  

There is a TON of information in the Urantia Book. I have read it many times and i understand more each time. But i did struggle with the first few papers so I would recommend that you peruse the Urantia Book and find an area of interest and begin there. If it's currently for you YOU WILL KNOW without question. If not, you should return to it at some other time.

I had never been involved much with religions. I've always felt something was missing or corrupt so i just kept religion to myself. My personnal test for religion has always been 'how does it make me feel'. I'm embarrassed to say that i actually would feel a bit uncomfortable in church or when listening to others preaching etc.. UB releases emotions in me like nothing else no matter how many times i read it. And i believe the feelings are from the Spirit of Truth. Nobody will change my mind. If i'm wrong it will be between me and God.

So let's keep it simple; we are all born un-believers or you could say un-knowing (the mark of the beast).. we are finding our way home. Though our lives are filled with all kinds of emotions and experiences -beauty, ugliness, love, hate, winners, losers, on and on.. etc, etc. At the moment the bad things are happening life sucks. Would you agree? but in reflecting, all these experiences and choices make me better. In our recognition of all of this and questioning the reality of God, all of us are on our way. - Godspeed!!!

As UB and boomshuka remind us: "the quickest way for a tadpole to become a frog is to live each moment loyally as a tadpole"