Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:09 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: First Post
PostPosted:  

Hello, this is new to me, but couldn't resist registering after having read some of the post and replies on this site. My husband is a long time Urantia Book reader but I am more of an answer seeker whenever I peruse it online. Seems I am on the site so very much here lately too. I have had what I deem as a very long, short life and it is always so very full. I have a question, Some things I have taken for granted all of my life, thought that everyone else did too, have slowly began to just come out in conversations with my husband. I am typically a very private person, although I really love to socialize, my privacy is in relation to my personal life. One of my questions is this. I have to work very hard to be a good person, always had. It shocked my husband when I told him this. Is this normal for a person who knows she loves God with all of her heart? All of my major decision making processes are done in spontaneous prayer and it seems as though here in the past year or so the answers come really quick...actually hear them, I know this sounds strange, but....Anyway these decisions always seem to leave me feeling like I am being more and more disconnected from society around me, in an odd way, including extended family.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: First Post
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Lisa --

Glad to have you post and nice to have you here to share. If I understand your question right you're saying you're relying more and more on prayer and inner guidance to help you make meaningful decisions, and is that a good thing. At least that's the question I'll give my opinion on and if it's not what you intended just try again.

Normal people are given a sound, logical, rational, inquisitive mind that should serve them well throughout life if they don't abuse it. But there's also more to living than being sound and logical and rational and that's becoming aware of and in touch with, to connect to the spiritual aspect of existence. Sure, most things can be determined and acted upon through mind alone, but real help, guidance, happiness, and love await those who develop faith and recognize the spiritual underpinnings to reality.

We're not intended to turn all decision making over to God -- "Lord, what color should I paint my house?" Our lives are a gift to our creator and there's no gift to give if we don't participate to the best of our ability. But to lean on, ask for guidance, listen for meaningful answers, this is a major step in faith for a spirit-led life.

Don't expect or encourage voices. Long ago I decided, and still today I pray that even if God has something to say to me I will reject voices in my head -- guidance has to be provided in some other meaningful way.

Best wishes Lisa and thank you for your first post.
Larry

PostPosted:  

Greetings Lisa and welcome.

lisa wrote:
One of my questions is this. I have to work very hard to be a good person, always had. It shocked my husband when I told him this. Is this normal for a person who knows she loves God with all of her heart?

It depends on what you mean by "good". If you are using society's standards or the standards of organized religion, your culture or your family, then maybe you do have to try hard to meet other peoples' expectations. True goodness is unconscious and springs forth spontaneously as the fruits of the spirit in a spirit-led person.

lisa wrote:
All of my major decision making processes are done in spontaneous prayer and it seems as though here in the past year or so the answers come really quick...actually hear them, I know this sounds strange,

Answers come quickly to me too. They're undeniable. And I do get answers about what would seem to be mundane things, but if looked at in a broader perspective, actually have greater import than one might originally think. Everything a truly spirit-led person does is sacred, even picking paint color, if it is done for and with the Spirit of Truth, the spirit of idealistic beauty.

Quote:
192.2.13  Never forget that, when you are a faith son of God, all upright work of the realm is sacred. Nothing which a son of God does can be common. Do your work, therefore, from this time on, as for God. And when you are through on this world, I have other and better worlds where you shall likewise work for me. And in all of this work, on this world and on other worlds, I will work with you, and my spirit shall dwell within you.

p1732:4 155:6.11 Never forget there is only one adventure which is more satisfying and thrilling than the attempt to discover the will of the living God, and that is the supreme experience of honestly trying to do that divine will. And fail not to remember that the will of God can be done in any earthly occupation. Some callings are not holy and others secular. All things are sacred in the lives of those who are spirit led; that is, subordinated to truth, ennobled by love, dominated by mercy, and restrained by fairness— justice. The spirit which my Father and I shall send into the world is not only the Spirit of Truth but also the spirit of idealistic beauty.

lisa wrote:
but....Anyway these decisions always seem to leave me feeling like I am being more and more disconnected from society around me, in an odd way, including extended family.

Do you really feel socially disconnected from others or just from their value system? There is a transition period in the inner life where the incongruence between inner and outer reality becomes painfully obvious. But, faith should bring you back into service of people as you learn to integrate your new found values back into society. It took me about five years to understand this and realize that I love people, not their religion, politics, culture, morals, and all other social trappings.

Most people cannot separate themselves from their social milieu and find that they also cannot function without identifying themselves with these outer social structures. The average person's identity is tied to the role they play in society. However, a person who has embarked on the inner life finds that their identity shifts more and more to the soul, and since the soul is a morontia entity, it cannot function in the material world. Hence, the desire for solitude to commune with one's soul and the spirit nucleus of that soul; for, it is through the soul that one is able to hear the divine voice.

Quote:
p1219:1 111:3.2 During the life in the flesh the evolving soul is enabled to reinforce the supermaterial decisions of the mortal mind. The soul, being supermaterial, does not of itself function on the material level of human experience. Neither can this subspiritual soul, without the collaboration of some spirit of Deity, such as the Adjuster, function above the morontia level. Neither does the soul make final decisions until death or translation divorces it from material association with the mortal mind except when and as this material mind delegates such authority freely and willingly to such a morontia soul of associated function. During life the mortal will, the personality power of decision-choice, is resident in the material mind circuits; as terrestrial mortal growth proceeds, this self, with its priceless powers of choice, becomes increasingly identified with the emerging morontia-soul entity; after death and following the mansion world resurrection, the human personality is completely identified with the morontia self. The soul is thus the embryo of the future morontia vehicle of personality identity.

I promise you though, you will eventually have to return to society in order to remained balanced. It is initially difficult because of the intensity of the relationship with the spirit influences within you. If you trust them however, you will find yourself being led to a richer social life than you ever had before.

Some people have a hard time with this transition and prefer to cloister themselves, but if you are following the life of Jesus, you will be persistently urged by his Spirit of Truth and your angel guardians to engage in loving contact with other people. It is inevitable if you are being truly inwardly guided, but you will always require short periods of retreat to the mountains for spiritual rejuvenation.

PostPosted:  

Ha! Maybe I should clarify my post, I apologize. I have been, since a very young little girl, a very very intuitve person. I grew up assuming everyone was, it wasn't until I met my husband about ten years ago that I began to realized not everyone was. I raised three sons who also are very intuitive. There have been times that we accidently let something happen that others caught. Such as an accident with my youngest son's boss.
My son had gone to work with an overwhelming urge to stay with her..he couldn't stop asking if she was alright.and just watched her....she just laughed and told the customers he was being over protective that day....five hours later, her husband was toppled on while unloading a four wheeler. He ended up leaving his job after a two week period of being treated "different". Almost like they feared him.
And so perhaps you may note now, why I tend to write or often speak "vaguly" it is a learned habit.
This is common with us. My husband not only doubted it but almost condemned it in a way....until approx. nine years ago. We have been together for about twelve years. He now calls it, "that strange thing that you and your kids do". lol We stay pretty private about it..but things happen sometime. I did however publish a book after I lost my nineteen year old son, documenting the circumstances and the spiritual growth I gain at the time following.
About the voices...again, lol! An example...I pray just like I am talking to someone....out loud and in private. Usually on a drive or a walk into the woods. I don't talk and listen for an answer..I just talk, and I "hear" the answer. I recently found myself in a moral deliemma..and was praying....or talking to the big man as I say...I got everything out, and knew what I wanted to do "at the time" wasn't just for the good. And then as I stopped fro a second I "heard" "Dont you trust me"? That was it for me....I was again happy. I just mentioned to my husband about the guiding quote and he made me realize, not everybody has this, so again..
My decisions are strange to so many and alot see my decisions as being, for lack of a better word..pompous? Those who like me and are comfortable with me seem to love me, and those who don't seem to despise me. There seldom is a middle level.
When I say I work hard to be a good person, it's because so many here around us expect different, don't they? Including alot of times, our Earthly parents. My battles are not what the right thing to do is...it's ...just sometimes....it feels as though I get weak. Shouldn't the weakness from time to time, and the heartache from battling loved ones get simpler over time? It seems as soon as I get the slate clean, someone fills it up again.
I was recently attacked, the person "my older sister" went to jail for two hours. As the attack was happening, as I lay on the ground getting kicked and punched I repeated over and over, "I will not hit you" I told her I loved her as she was taken to jail, and I dropped the charges after I got the D.A. to promise that she would be still taken to court and given a probationary period of being good. She is, a professional and would've lost her liscense if she were found quilty of assault. This attack was out of the blue, and no words were exchanged between us, she is self-medicating a deep depression and her anger towards me was ?...I don't know, has been there since I was a little girl....Anyway, I have battle family members that say she should be prosecuted, let her lose her lic. ect. But I felt it wasn't for the good, if she lost her lic. The only thing she has left here, what good would that do?
There was more to the decision, but that's the gist. I have never hated anyone you see, and I sometimes get angry, but it quickly diminishes...I just can't hate....yet it seems at times as though I should....at least stay mad awhile, so that others might see me as normal....and yet in the same sentance I know......I am God's child first.

PostPosted:  

It is indeed hard to be a good person when there is no external social pressure for one to be "good". That struggle is a necessary part of God-consciousness for some people. As for the social disconnection, the following quote may be appropriate:

Quote:
P.383 - §1 ... Faith sons work on intellectual levels and live on spiritual planes far above the conflicts produced by unrestrained or unnatural physical desires...

The inner life of a God-conscious person is less connected to the people around most of the time at least currently on Urantia. This will be rectified as more and more people become God conscious. The current situation affords us a greater potential to practice loving our fellow brethren.

PostPosted:  

Hey lisa...welcome. And relax into who and what you are. Think many more have the this gift although it shows up in different ways for different people at different times. When I think on all the celestials that surround us, on the Presence within us, all who offer continuous help and guidance...I also have to acknowledge that the only thing that closes me off is myself. "Talking" it out until I exhaust myself of ideas or thoughts sometimes is necessary, sometimes only quiet is needed...but always an integral ingredient is my willingness to be open. I'm then met where I am with whatever I can comprehend at that moment...which means sometimes I'm met with silence. Even that is ok...

(84.3) 7:3.3
"The spirit-gravity circuit is the basic channel for transmitting the genuine prayers of the believing human heart from the level of human consciousness to the actual consciousness of Deity. That which represents true spiritual value in your petitions will be seized by the universal circuit of spirit gravity and will pass immediately and simultaneously to all divine personalities concerned.

Peace
Jo

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)

PostPosted:  

Aloha Lisa and welcome...I like the fact that you have been reading our posts for some time. Question? Do you also read the Urantia Book? What a wonderful thing that would be to share the teachings. Something I've always wanted.

As for me...a long time reader also...Know that I am a child of God also. I honor the Spirit within me and trust in the guidance from above. It is my will that thy will be done. I start my day by aligning my thought to God within, suit up & show up knowing that I will know what to do when the situation present itself. Jesus went about doing good.

A UB search is a great place to see what our book has to say on any subject.

Again...welcome.

PostPosted:  

Thank you to all of those who replied! Each post gave me plenty to think about. I enjoy life very much, yet it saddens me so much that some of the decisions I have to make are misunderstood, and it is this saddness that at times seems to weaken my spirit for a brief instance. The bitterness in so many around us is painful, and I know that my desire to end it for so many tugs heavy at my heart. I have always had peace and happiness....and I so wish it for everyone.
I am currently raising my two wonderful grandsons, and it never ceases to amaze me that with each min. of life I spend here with them, that nothing seems to bring me more growth then thier precious love....even though I know this is the key to growing.

PostPosted: