Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:52 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

if we will just continue our spiritual growth in the mansion worlds, why should we care about our spiritual growth now on earth?. we can just enjoy this life on earth, garner money, feed our lust etc just play this life as a game, we still have a chance for spiritual growth in the mansion worlds anyway. so what's the urgency of now?
can we enjoy romantic love in the mansion worlds, if not just enjoy it now, the only chance we have is on earth, mind spiritual growth later in the mansion worlds. enjoy becoming the mortal in the flesh, we experience it once in eternity span.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hi, Al Here:

You know, that is actually a very good and interesting couple of questions! I’m sure that there are a million and one ways to answer them.

Here’s my take:
When I read your question, I, at least, think that you are saying that life on this world as an evolutionary creature of time is a one-shot deal. So why not make the most of it! I think you are absolutely correct when you state that we should go ahead and live life to the fullest measure we can.

Now, one has to ask oneself, what is the fullest measure within which one can live one’s life? This is a question which must be answered by each individual, because there are not ever going to be two identical answers. So for me, at least, I feel that to garner the greatest satisfaction from life, I follow the will of the Father. And by that I mean that I love other people and do my best to live a life of intelligent service to mankind as a whole. And I find this life INCREDIBLY SATISFYING!

I have lived this life, in various stages of fulfillment, for a number of years now. I have also lived a life wherein I completely indulged in all types of other, more selfish and materialistic pleasures. For me at least, there is no comparison in overall happiness between the two lifestyles. My current lifestyle is immeasurably more satisfying.

So I say that there is no urgency now. We are free to do as we will. I think that if you are a good person, even though you may indulge in the materialistic pleasures you described above, you will be given the same opportunity to live forever that even the most righteous individual in the world has. To me, at least, it is all about the amount of satisfaction I can take from this existence, not how “far ahead” I can get.

But my friend, don’t think that I do not play this life as a game! Because I do. Life is a game. A wonderful, exciting and marvelous game! Play everyday. Live life to the fullest!

As for romance, I feel that again, this is a one-shot deal. This is the only chance we will ever have to procreate human children. To raise them as we see fit. I firmly believe that this effort is a completing process in the experience of being human. Those who miss out on this opportunity will be deficit until they can somehow make this up. Experiencing the type of romantic love we have here and having children are one of the most important things we can do in this short life.

At least that is how I feel.
Al

PostPosted:  

Hi,

I agree with just about everything Al wrote. Enjoying pleasure to the fullest is not incompatible with a robust personal spiritual agenda.

But I think your question is more along the lines of--then why have a robust spiritual agenda?

This issue is directly addressed here:

Quote:
P.1096 - §3 The goal of human self-realization should be spiritual, not material. The only realities worth striving for are divine, spiritual, and eternal. Mortal man is entitled to the enjoyment of physical pleasures and to the satisfaction of human affections; he is benefited by loyalty to human associations and temporal institutions; but these are not the eternal foundations upon which to build the immortal personality which must transcend space, vanquish time, and achieve the eternal destiny of divine perfection and finaliter service.

And then you might ask--OK, WHY?

This leads us to my take:

The word training is used 271 times in the Urantia book--the question in my mind is what are we being trained FOR?

Well, in one of my other lives (yes this life, im a motel manager now) I was a professional counselor. This necessitates intensive training. I wanted to be a very good counselor so I took very good training, and also worked very hard. I have also met many people who were mediocre counselors, they did not have very good training, and if they did they did not appear to have worked very hard.

The point?

There is NOTHING that can replace experience (and training) as a mortal on a mortal nativity sphere. Once this life is over, that is it--the opportunity to acquire what can be gained here to prepare for universe service (and further training opportunities) will not be repeated forever.

The harder I work at the things that really matter HERE the better my opportunities in the next life will be.

So if I squander my opportunities to gain a capacity for an enhanced universe service while a mortal--I might regret it for ALL ETERNITY.

So while I go about enjoying the pleasures of life, I am ever mindful of the need to balance my perspective in light of what God might want me to do in the Future--and try to work on things like character, spirituality, service to others, integrity, ethics, goodness, righteousness, worship, prayer, and so forth. And again, I reiterate--these things are not incompatible with the things that bring pleasure, enjoyment and happiness in life. Indeed, as Al has stated--these things ENHANCE the enjoyment of the pleasures of life.

Quote:
P.557 - §10 24. The destiny of eternity is determined moment by moment by the achievements of the day by day living. The acts of today are the destiny of tomorrow.

Great question!

Mike

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Quote:
12.5.10 Unspiritual animals know only the past and live in the present. Spirit-indwelt man has powers of prevision (insight); he may visualize the future. Only forward-looking and progressive attitudes are personally real. Static ethics and traditional morality are just slightly superanimal. Nor is stoicism a high order of self-realization. Ethics and morals become truly human when they are dynamic and progressive, alive with universe reality. 12.5.10

The selective response of an animal is limited to the motor level of behavior. The supposed insight of the higher animals is on a motor level and usually appears only after the experience of motor trial and error. Man is able to exercise scientific, moral, and spiritual insight prior to all exploration or experimentation.
Only a personality can know what it is doing before it does it; only personalities possess insight in advance of experience. A personality can look before it leaps and can therefore learn from looking as well as from leaping. A nonpersonal animal ordinarily learns only by leaping. 16.7.2-3

PostPosted:  

hi, David , welcome to truth book . About your question , I'm no expert , but I do remember reading somewhere in the u b , I forget what paper now , that almost all everything that you do in physical life is recorded by your thought adjuster . you got to face the fact that he is constantly with you , and he knows everything that you do ,he may not tell you what to do or what to chose , that would be taking away your freedom of choice , but you can bet that he knows about whatever you're about to undertake ,and if is something important , you might want to consult with him/her, Im'sure that he/she would find a way to guide you in your decision . Also , all of these recordings of your life survive your physical death . So, that idea alone , should help you out a bit ....I hope ...... :wink: :P :smile:

PostPosted:  

I was once living in a subculture of ppl, that had no problem with those that had not spiritual guidance in there life's, i knew ppl that did and could kill some one with out a blink.

I knew person that claimed they whole heartily followed Satan. I stand here to day as a sober person that has changed his life, I walk with a faith and knowledge of the path that yield the greatest joy of living.

Hear me now...there are those in this world that have given up the right to a After-life, there are those in this world that have no desire to continue life after this one, the U.B. make it clear ... this life lived is about making a choice .... Soul survival or Soul death.

PostPosted:  

Consider this...

47:3.7 On mansion world number one (or another in case of advanced status) you will resume your intellectual training and spiritual development at the exact level whereon they were interrupted by death. Between the time of planetary death or translation and resurrection on the mansion world, mortal man gains absolutely nothing aside from experiencing the fact of survival. You begin over there right where you leave off down here.

47.2.7 When material life has run its course, if no choice has been made for the ascendant life, or if these children of time definitely decide against the Havona adventure, death automatically terminates their probationary careers. There is no adjudication of such cases; there is no resurrection from such a second death. They simply become as though they had not been.

Daud...it sounds like you are interested in what's to come...so here's another one liner to ponder...good question though

14.5.10 Love of adventure, curiosity, and dread of monotony — these traits inherent in evolving human nature — were not put there just to aggravate and annoy you during your short sojourn on earth, but rather to suggest to you that death is only the beginning of an endless career of adventure, an everlasting life of anticipation, an eternal voyage of discovery.

Aloha and welcome to this forum...

PostPosted:  

Hi Daud,

If our Father did not want us to enjoy our existence as humans then we would not have started our journey as such. There are many pleasures that we can experience when we are here. There certainly can be much joy in those experiences. But why are we being called to something greater?

Consider this: Say you spend your whole life sowing your wild oats. You live life to party and just have a good time. You acquire all kinds of material things. The big house and the big car. Vacations all over the world. It is not that there is necessarily anything wrong with the acquirement of those things. But remember those things are temporary. They are, in essence, illusions. Why do I say that?

What do you take with you when you die? Do you take all the girls that you have had a good time with? Can you take the big house and the big car with you? Can you take diamonds and gold with you? The only thing that you can take with you is you. The irony is that our Father wants us to enjoy this life, but if we do so at the expense of our spirituality we will be in big trouble. Why do you think that millions upon millions of persons are unprepared for the next life? Because they either did not believe in an afterlife or they did not care. So, when they die they find themselves in a bind. They have not learned to make the pursuit of spirituality a priority so they are unable to progress or move on. You see, the Father expects that we will progress. He is patient with us, but He does not want us to stay stuck at one level forever. To progress to the Father it is necessary to evolve as a person. The only way to evolve as a person is to have our inner life begin to reflect the spiritual qualities of our Father.

This body that we possess is like a space suit, so to speak. It houses our personality, our consciousness. Is it not our mind that controls our body? So when we give up our physical body we acquire a soul. Just as we have two parents that contribute to our makeup, we have the Spirit of the Father within and our destiny guardians that are contributing to the reality of our next life. The embryo is nourished by its mother. It grows and develops into a baby as a result of the mother's care. So, we contribute to the baby soul by our choices. If we pursue a spiritual course then we will develop and grow into a strong and mature soul. If we neglect or ignore our spiritual development our growth will be stunted.

Again the soul is like a covering that houses our personality and our mind. What is important is to develop as a person. All the externals are fine, but true growth comes from the transformation of our spiritual life. As we progress and grow spiritually, so we transform. We will experience hundreds of transformations as we progress to the Father until we take on the form that our Father possesses.

So, live life and enjoy. Find joy in this existence. But you will not regret it if you pursue spirituality. Just as the Father spreads his love to all of his creation, so spread the love to your fellow man as he comes into your immediate circle. Spread your love as you pass by to the starving masses. There are so many that are starving for spirituality. We can point them in the right direction. Remember, you can only take you to the other side. And after all anything else is just an illusion. The only true reality is your consciousness, your personality. The Infinite One holds his hands out for you to take hold. He wants you to be more than potential. He wants you to become in reality what he knows you can become. The choice is yours.

Love,
Paul

PostPosted:  

I think there is a growing movement in this country, And well many others that Religion is a primitive relic of our past. A more intelligent generation will not need to rely on the superstition of our ancestors to cope with life's challenges.

The number of empty churches in U.K. and non southern state here in the U.S.A. give evidence to that fact.

But I think that is more a sign that ppl are no longer willing to turn to an unrelenting belief system that is not willing to change with the progressing times, peoples need to know a more insightful and expanded concept of God, it's a hunger long over due to being fed.

PostPosted:  

Daud, I wonder where this sense of urgency comes from. External or internal?
For we, this urgency is an internal sense that has a self-authenticating nature. Like when reading the UB and something inside says, "True, aha!"
External influences must still be internalized to be experienced. This is the "I" that experiences.
Don't be surprized if ideas seems to carry a bit more sense of urgency about them...spiritual or not.

As to the intent of the question as I understand it; IMHO, it's a matter of value. Simple. It's not something created by "shoulds and woulds" but by the reality of experience. We truly craft our surviving selves. IMHO, "everything of survival value" is what we take with us.

I probably vary with some UB students as to what this means. In my thinking, "everything of survival value" includes any experience of any degree of truth, beauty or goodness. I think of these as preserved memories whose function is to create a baseline for our future education. Each valued memory will express itself in experience. Every sincere desire. I don't think we can imagine what that is. It's not complicated enough. As a matter of enlightened thinking, our self-interests are best served in adjusted thinking. The remaining element seems to be "Why?"
IMHO, there is no need for a "Why?" unless the knowledge serves your sonship relationships...especially with yourself.

We do grow. We will grow. The question becomes a matter of willing relationship and that is an exclusively internal experience. It really is a matter of how real we are...not what we lack.

Hey, what good Father wouldn't want his child to experience all their desires? What good Father would not desire to experience all things with his children?

I don't mean to preach. I just hope you know that we experience life WITH our Father. There is only one choice to the contrary, so, really...life is for real.

Live it, Love it,

Bill

PostPosted:  

thanks. what's your intelligent service you're currently doing to mankind?
what's your job?
how do you find urantia?

PostPosted:  

hi barry, sorry i live in Indonesia, what's ppl?. urantia says that satan,demon and lucifer are imprisoned but why there are still demon appearances in indonesia even i myself saw demons several times in my childhood

PostPosted:  

thanks uncle. i live in pontianak indonesia. and may be i'm the only one urantia believer here. so i'm so glad when you all replied my question. first i'm a bit unfamiliar with the interface in this forum because it isn't as user-friendly as facebook's interface.so please response to my post or answer my question always. i'm lonely as the only one urantia believer in pontianak indonesia. i often tell my friend about it but he doesn't speak english so he can't read urantia. i attend sunday service but just to observe and maintan relationship, there is no urantia believers community in my town. so please guide me and give me advice. you all my fellow urantia believers are nice. barack obama says to disagree without being disagreeable. and it seem that you all keep the purity of urantia truth, not amalgamate it with inferior buddhism or hinduism beliefs. thanks alot

PostPosted:  

hi friends, how to put my photo in my profile. the interface isn't user-friendly

PostPosted:  

Oh Daud...you touched my heart...and very glad that you have this community to talk about the book and issues that we face in life...I hope you find peace, strength, guidance, wisdom within the pages...

I know there are others that post here that are the only readers in their area. I can only imagine that feeling. I am curious just how you found the book :wink: You are blessed for sure...do you have a book or do you read on line? I wear a necklace of the blue concentric circles in hopes that someone I meet will recognize the symbol...none yet...even at the Observatory where I worked...I know there are other readers on my island but we are many miles apart...so this is my main connection with other readers...

So...chat away...ask away...there is much available...search engines, archives, Paramony, and many link on our homepage...

I welcome you...