Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:17 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: BOM
PostPosted:  

Brotherhood of Man (BOM).

I don't know. I think what I was taught by service-meaning souls was that the BOM was something coming, something yet to be. That's in keeping with traditional thinking, I'm forced to assume.
I'm not sure. The FER allows me to consider another alternative. I think the BOM is a means of describing a state of mindedness that values all moral beings. Our recorded histories are full of the names of the persons who contributed. Names associated with achievement, status or notable service.
Collectively, could this not be a reflection of the BOM in our times? Our collective sense? Seems pretty much everything we know, we can attribute to experience. If we think of the BOM as a existing condition...most of us would feel some degree of shame or embarassment for our species.

Not to dwell on the current conditions of the BOM, let's consider how we actually experience this in life. IMHO, any consideration of the BOM is impossible with mortals lacking moral capacity. Any functioning of the BOM requires a harnessing of survival intelligence.

The BOM is perhaps a spirit voice of a mortal species...ever-singing to the heavens?

Any ideas?

Bill

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: BOM
PostPosted:  

Hi Uncle Bill,

I have always considered the Brotherhood of Man to be a progressive feature of the Kingdom of Heaven. It has, however, been in existence since the dawn of time. For instance, I was fascinated to learn that the seven evolutionary races of color had their origin in ONE human family. From an evolutionary perspective this makes us all related, and having shared a common ancestry.

Perhaps the most important contribution to the Brotherhood of Man from a cultural perspective (in the face of double default) is the concept of ONE God, the creator of all things and beings--revealed monotheism. When the light of truth was about to be extinguished Melchizedek incarnated with but one simple mission--to maintain the integrity of the truth of one God to the world. This was the crux of the Salem doctrine, and the core tenant of the later appearing Kingdom of Heaven pronouncement so eloquently promulgated by the "fiery denunciator" John the Baptist.

Of course, our beloved Master unified monotheism with the formal inauguration of the Kingdom of Heaven--but went one step further by revealing that the one God as taught by the prophets of old was in deed and in truth our heavenly Father, thus making all men and women our brothers and sisters.
And with the advent of the Fifth Epochal Revelation of truth to Urantia, this reality has been further revealed that our Heavenly Father is the father of ALL created beings and personalities in the entire universe of universes--thus revealing our place in the cosmos and our kinship with all created intelligences.

So I have, since gaining an understanding of the great reality of the Kingdom of Heaven, always viewed the Brotherhood of Man as being inextricably bound up in the unfolding of the Kingdom of Heaven.
Quote:
(The UB): P.1088 - §3 The kingdom of heaven is neither a social nor economic order; it is an exclusively spiritual brotherhood of God-knowing individuals. True, such a brotherhood is in itself a new and amazing social phenomenon attended by astounding political and economic repercussions.

(Mike) The neat thing about this quote is that it is all inclusive, nearly all human beings on Urantia have SOME type of a belief in God, so this is how I can connect in the kingdom--even if I may have a clearer understanding of these realities through having been blessed with the gift of revelation. I can find something in common with any and all men and women who believe in God, by whatever name they call Him and by whichever means they may revere Him (or Her as the case may be). I can (and have) even connect with those of the most primitive and feeble belief systems.
Quote:
(The UB): P.1486 - §5 The kingdom of heaven, the divine government, is founded on the fact of divine sovereignty--God is spirit. Since God is spirit, this kingdom is spiritual. The kingdom of heaven is neither material nor merely intellectual; it is a spiritual relationship between God and man.

(Mike): This one simple truth, the Fatherhood of God-- is so simple, moving, thrilling, fluid, serviceable, and comforting that it immediately brings all relationships into focus. The "invisible Brotherhood" will not be invisible forever, and when all men begin (as is happening as we speak) to see with the eyes of the spirit, then will the Kingdom of Heaven of the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Men become revealed in power and glory for the betterment of ALL peoples of Urantia.
Quote:
(The UB): P.1541 - §4 That afternoon, which they spent together, Jesus fully instructed them concerning attendance upon festive gatherings, concluding his remarks by saying: "All men are my brothers. My Father in heaven does not despise any creature of our making. The kingdom of heaven is open to all men and women. No man may close the door of mercy in the face of any hungry soul who may seek to gain an entrance thereto. We will sit at meat with all who desire to hear of the kingdom. As our Father in heaven looks down upon men, they are all alike. Refuse not therefore to break bread with Pharisee or sinner, Sadducee or publican, Roman or Jew, rich or poor, free or bond. The door of the kingdom is wide open for all who desire to know the truth and to find God."

(Mike) And so the truth of the Brotherhood of Man is founded in truth, revealed in beauty, and consummated in goodness by the great Father of us all.

Thanks,

Michael Cuthbertson

PostPosted:  

I have an idea! How about conferring a BOM award on a deserving being once a year.
Lets say on Jan 1st for the past year. It could be anyone that each of us think should deserve such an honor. We don't have to have any consensus or a winner just simply cast your vote for who you might think should get the award. Wadda ya think? Just post the name of your choice on Jan 1 somewhere on this forum.

8)

PostPosted:  

Hey, slyde, great idea. BOM honor award.

I'm happy to wait until January but my vote is for JOER. He is passed and present, graduated yet current.
He will always remain a part of this forum.

Bill

PostPosted:  

Bill,
Yeah I thought of Joer as well! I think he'll get it this year.

PostPosted:  

JoeR is a shoe-in for the award. Post humously, even. I am on a couple of other lists, to-wit UBRON and Facebook, and Joe R has been popping up there recently as an active member. I think somebody is trying to pull our leg.

PostPosted:  

I never met the man but we were mates. Hard not to love that guy.

When I found that Joer had passed, I wrote a piece I'll find and post if there is no objection. I don't wish to make a diety of him(I see him laughing) but, in all honesty, computer issues knocked me offline for awhile.

Knowing Joer was an honor. One of those spirit-led, spirit-filled servants. Might have been a real hellcat to be close to, but, such is life. How 'bout them Morontians, eh?

On the BOM; Am I correct in stating that Jesus was living as an example to the many and varied moral beings, sons, of the universes?

How would you(anyone) summarize the BOM example lived by Jesus according to the UB?

Quotes encouraged,

Bill

PostPosted:  

Let's hope not, Gerdean. That's disturbing to contemplate. Our JoeR, JOER, Joer, had a style of presentation that would be difficult to duplicate. I can only hope this Joe R is seeking enlightenment, like the rest of us. Our guy got his.

Bill

PostPosted:  

Quote:
7. "AS JESUS PASSED BY"

Jesus spread good cheer everywhere he went. He was full of grace and truth. His associates never ceased to wonder at the gracious words that proceeded out of his mouth. You can cultivate gracefulness, but graciousness is the aroma of friendliness which emanates from a love-saturated soul.

Goodness always compels respect, but when it is devoid of grace, it often repels affection. Goodness is universally attractive only when it is gracious. Goodness is effective only when it is attractive.

Jesus really understood men; therefore could he manifest genuine sympathy and show sincere compassion. But he seldom indulged in pity. While his compassion was boundless, his sympathy was practical, personal, and constructive. Never did his familiarity with suffering breed indifference, and he was able to minister to distressed souls without increasing their self-pity.

Jesus could help men so much because he loved them so sincerely. He truly loved each man, each woman, and each child. He could be such a true friend because of his remarkable insight--he knew so fully what was in the heart and in the mind of man. He was an interested and keen observer. He was an expert in the comprehension of human need, clever in detecting human longings.

Jesus was never in a hurry. He had time to comfort his fellow men "as he passed by." And he always made his friends feel at ease. He was a charming listener. He never engaged in the meddlesome probing of the souls of his associates.

As he comforted hungry minds and ministered to thirsty souls, the recipients of his mercy did not so much feel that they were confessing to him as that they were conferring with him. They had unbounded confidence in him because they saw he had so much faith in them.

He never seemed to be curious about people, and he never manifested a desire to direct, manage, or follow them up. He inspired profound self-confidence and robust courage in all who enjoyed his association. When he smiled on a man, that mortal experienced increased capacity for solving his manifold problems.

Jesus loved men so much and so wisely that he never hesitated to be severe with them when the occasion demanded such discipline. He frequently set out to help a person by asking for help. In this way he elicited interest, appealed to the better things in human nature.

The Master could discern saving faith in the gross superstition of the woman who sought healing by touching the hem of his garment. He was always ready and willing to stop a sermon or detain a multitude while he ministered to the needs of a single person, even to a little child. Great things happened not only because people had faith in Jesus, but also because Jesus had so much faith in them.

Most of the really important things which Jesus said or did seemed to happen casually, "as he passed by." There was so little of the professional, the well-planned, or the premeditated in the Master's earthly ministry. He dispensed health and scattered happiness naturally and gracefully as he journeyed through life. It was literally true, "He went about doing good."

And it behooves the Master's followers in all ages to learn to minister as "they pass by"--to do unselfish good as they go about their daily duties. (Paper 171, section 7)

PostPosted:  

Top sheet of the finished product, right there. Thanks, Gerdean.

This quote certainly lists Masters' attributes. I dare say is suggests an enlghtened path we all strive to traverse, still, where is the statement that Jesus exemplified brotherhood? How he lived it is well documented in your quote, but, to the universe...he also lived as an example.

Bill

PostPosted:  

Quote:
He never seemed to be curious about people, and he never manifested a desire to direct, manage, or follow them up. He inspired profound self-confidence and robust courage in all who enjoyed his association. When he smiled on a man, that mortal experienced increased capacity for solving his manifold problems.

What do you folks make of this statement? In light of Jesus' assembling the apostles, and his always studying and learning about people? I remember a statement somewhat to the effect of ((Jesus was always eager to meet a new person, because everytime he got to know someone, he was getting to know a brother or sister))...

PostPosted:  

LightPoet,
I'm not sure what your looking for in your question.
Quote:
What do you folks make of this statement?

8)

PostPosted:  

He wasn't a gossip, a bully or a busy-body.

PostPosted:  

sorry for being unclear. i see a contradiction. now, i trust there is no real contradiction, so i was hoping someone could illuminate the nature of Jesus' interest in other human beings, because he seemed to be profoundly interested and involved with human beings, but apparently seemed never to be curious about people.

PostPosted:  

It's a matter of who is being satisfied.
To be curious about somebody indicates you yourself want to be fed.
To be interested in somebody indicates you want to feed somebody else.

Looking at:
Quote:
The spirit of knowledge--the curiosity-mother of adventure and discovery, the scientific spirit; the guide and faithful associate of the spirits of courage and counsel; the urge to direct the endowments of courage into useful and progressive paths of growth.
it seems that having curiosity about someone is like studying them to find out what makes them tick, as if they were an object, like a bug, or a mechanical device. It is objective. But to be interested in somebody, indicates you want to get to know them better, to find out what motivates them, how they feel about things, so as to help generate feelings of sympathy, or encouragement. It is subjective.

It's an interesting distinction, really. Thanks for bringing it up. I can just picture myself as a child, being curious about something about a person, perhaps their hair color, their mode of dress, their tatoos or disabilities ... and wanting to get closer, only to have my mother box my ears and tell me I was rude and that it was none of my business.