Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:53 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

To All

Preconceived opinions, has been behind the thinking of those who object to mass dissemination of the UB. The preconceived opinions stagnate VISION, we don't see very far, we possess blinders that don't let us see to the sides and or dark glasses that are to dark even in the revelation of daylight. It is very normal for we humans when we find something unique, unusual, thought provoking, and especially life saving for us to want to stand at the top of the tallest mountain and shout it out to the rest of the world to hear. With todays modern communications it would be even easier to disseminate worthy news, being afraid to complicate matters for the UB is being very narrow minded. What could make it worst? it's a God created revelation. Did it bother God at all to deliver the FER to the world in late 1920s? Absolutely not! Is it bothering him because some people might take it wrong? NO.

The thinking against mass dissemination was born with the revelation of the UB. A doctine that taught, slow person to person communications was the best way to disseminate the UB. It was a wise move for the times. Allowing a revelation that went against so many beliefs of the fundamental church would have been counter productive and would of met many stumbling blocks for the times.

Things change, they must evolve, we must move ahead, we must have clear vision. We must trust in our Spirit beings to put the brakes if we are blowing it, but we must look ahead. The beginning of the new evolution of the UB occurred when the Foundation lost the copyright. It's now a new day. We must consider serious mass dissemination. Those who object are from yesterday. They don't see tomorrow. They don't see or feel the ripening of the fig trees tender brances that summer is near. [1915:3,4] We are the students now, and later the teachers. Our minds must be illuminated, ready to hear the divine voice that continually speaks within us, so that we may become partially conscious of the wisdom, truth, goodness and beauty of the potential personality constantly indwelling us. [1199:3,4]

The parable of the TALENTS is the most misinterpreted parable in the Bible. One of the revelations that made the most impression, on me, was to have had the revelators interpret correctly the true meaning of the TALENTS. When I first read the interpretation of this brilliant parable and when it first dawned on me the true meaning, it felt like a blanket of darkness had been lifted and for the first time I saw the beautiful blue skies with its fluffy white clouds. Brothers and sisters the TALENTS have been passed on to us, there in my hands in yours too.

To realize for the first time that the TALENTS were not money, But the TRUTH, the Word of God. What we were to do with the TRUTH, just as we do with money, work it, multiply it, spread it around. In no way was it to be buried. Our revelator in page 1917:3, very nicely states: "Truth is living; the Spirit of Truth is ever leading the children of light into new realms of spiritual reality and divine service. You are not given truth to crystallize into settled, safe, and honored forms. Your revelation of truth must be so enhanced by passing through your personal experience that new beauty and actual spiritual gains will be disclosed to all who behold YOUR spiritual fruits and in consequence thereof are led to glorify the Father who is in heaven. Only those faithful servants who thus grow in the knowledge of the TRUTH, and who thereby develop the capacity for divine appreciation of spiritual realities, can ever hope to "enter fully into the joy of their Lord" What a sorry sight for successive generations of the professed followers of Jesus to say, regarding their stewardship of divine TRUTH: "Here, Master, is the TRUTH you committed to us a hundred, or a thousand years ago. We have lost nothing; we have faithfully preserved all you gave us; we have allowed no changes to be made in that which you taught us; here is the TRUTH you gave us." In accordance with the TRUTH committed to YOUR HANDS will the Master of TRUTH require a reckoning. Such selfish stewards must accept the concequences of their deliberate choosing.

The biggest revelation that has occurred in our lives, happened when we first read the profound and brilliant manuscript, known as the Urantia Book, THE TRUTHBOOK. How many of us really realize that when we accepted these TRUTHS that we have accepted the TALENTS the Master has given us. What have you done with your TALENTS? The question I pose before you is, Got any ideas? How would you go about spending these TALENTS? We have talked about subject before, we really haven't said much. and we should be saying much, the parable of the TALENTS puts a hot potatoe in our lap, did you realize we were under so much responsiblity? If we each took our TALENTS and somehow combined them? For example renting an electonic BILLBOARD outside a very busy freeway, New York, Los Angeles, It is not out of the question. All we need is about 2 weeks. I'm willing to speculate out there among our brethern we could get together and just do it.

My immediate goals are mass dissemination and unification of the brotherhood. Unification being another thread.

Remember we must multiply the TALENTS, how would you go about it?

God bless ....Jess

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Here are some suggestions and other ways of looking at what might be the most effective methods of dissemination. Ask yourself what has had the most profound impact on your mental and spiritual life. Have you had a mental breakthrough or a spiritual epiphany because of something you've seen on a billboard or have you gone to a movie that has transformed your life? I suspect the answers to these first simple questions would be no -- I've never experienced anything particularly meaningful to me personally through these methods of communication and entertainment. Therefore, why would I expect that using anything like them to promote the message of TUB would be effective?

Take what's been of real value and meaning to you and adapt it so that it could present a meaningful message about TUB to someone else. We often think of solutions, like make a movie of TUB, without thinking from our own experience whether that "solution" has had impact... I suspect no movie, no matter how good or how entertaining it has been, has had more than zero impact upon what's truly meaningful in our own lives.

I've found that it's most often the people we meet and the books we read that are life changing -- therefore, I'd concentrate my efforts on writing meaningful things that relate to the teachings of TUB ... concentrate on transforming myself into the kind of person who has a positive impact on those who meet me.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Sage advice Larry.

PostPosted:  

Hey Jess
I love your enthusiasm and can understand why you want to shout it from the roof tops. Everyone has been given different talents to be utilized to the best of their individual abilities. For me, shouting just turned me off so I'm not comfortable doing so to others..don't feel the urge. My abilities/talents lean toward the one on one slow process. It's the truths held within those pages of TUB that have been (and continue to be) incorporated into my heart that spread to others, mainly...I am a child of God, and the universe really is friendly. Only after I came to know this as truth did it begin to be passed to others...through no real effort (just a subtle cooperation). The most powerful reality for me, and one that I never hesitate to vocalize when needed is...God's love pours out to us endlessly, never forcing but always offering. We alone block it with our fears, doubts and just plain old "not knowing".

Having said all that, it really is the individual urgings from the spirit within each of us that propels and guides us, so I'm not saying you're incorrect, for you. Or for others. It has always taken the individual efforts of each personality to continue forward in all areas of evolution. Trust what you know is true...there are still so many living with "not knowing" how intimately they are cherished....warts and all.

Peace
Jo

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)

PostPosted:  

Iris wrote:
Sage advice Larry.

Larry, Iris, others

What would be your sage advice on the spending of the talents? lets get away from billboards it was only a thought. The parable of the TALENTS is the main thread.

God bless.....Jess

PostPosted:  

In terms of talents, that is up for conjecture. The UB says we all have the talent of TIME. We have all been given TIME and many of us waste huge amounts of time ... watching reruns, bickering, procrastinating, frittering around ... But who is to say that the way we waste our time might not be the best possible use of our time -- at least we are not destroying somebody.

I tend to think of talents literally. We all are born with certain abilities, which we can turn into skills if we apply ourselves. Not all of us are artists who can paint pretty pictures, but many of us are artists at cooking, or mediating, or horse whispering. At some point we discover what we can do, and if we do something to enlarge truth, beauty and goodness with that "talent" we are surely fulfilling ourselves and that, by many people's definition, is living in God's will.

But talents can also mean potential. Are we going to squander our potential (our talents) because it is easier to be a people pleaser than to stand for principles that may be unpopular? If we are going to stifle our potential (bury our talents), we are going to feel the absence of living up to our own potential and that disappointment is going to come out in perverse ways in our dealings with others because to the extent we are not living up to our own potential (investing our own talents), we will fret about what other people are doing (or not doing) with the talents we perceive they have been given. And so we waste more time/talent.

If you can afford the $150,000 to put up a billboard promoting the Urantia Book for a month, go for it. If you are led to become a musician, like Pato Banton, and sing the lyrics of the Urantia Book, that's your option. If you are inclined to re-direct your own talents into promoting the talents of others, like the Origin Press fellow, or the UBtheNews guy, then have at it. If you stumble onto a talent, such as T/R'ing, which makes you happy and it touches a lot of people and leads them to a closer relationship with God, then do what you feel "called" to do, whether others approve of it or not. Nobody knows what your talents are except you, and you won't know what they are until you give it a try.

Did you read recently about the young fellow who visited a tent revival and heard the Word of God speak to him saying, "Just keep walking," and he did that. He became homeless and ten years later is still walking. Walking for God. He disseminates the Holy Bible and lives in faith. The Father will not be damaged by our sincere efforts to invest our talents, no matter how goofy they may be or what others might think of them.

Who do you want to please? God or mammon?

PostPosted:  

Jesus said it best Jess,

P.1726 - §2 "Let me emphatically state this eternal truth: If you, by truth co-ordination, learn to exemplify in your lives this beautiful wholeness of righteousness, your fellow men will then seek after you that they may gain what you have so acquired. The measure wherewith truth seekers are drawn to you represents the measure of your truth endowment, your righteousness. The extent to which you have to go with your message to the people is, in a way, the measure of your failure to live the whole or righteous life, the truth-co-ordinated life ."

P.1571 - §5 "Discern the truth clearly; live the righteous life fearlessly; and so shall you be my apostles and my Father's ambassadors. You have heard it said: `If the blind lead the blind, they both shall fall into the pit.' If you would guide others into the kingdom, you must yourselves walk in the clear light of living truth. In all the business of the kingdom I exhort you to show just judgment and keen wisdom. Present not that which is holy to dogs, neither cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample your gems under foot and turn to rend you.

P.1692 - §0 "My beloved, you must always make a difference in teaching so as to suit your presentation of truth to the minds and hearts before you. When you stand before a multitude of varying intellects and temperaments, you cannot speak different words for each class of hearers, but you can tell a story to convey your teaching; and each group, even each individual, will be able to make his own interpretation of your parable in accordance with his own intellectual and spiritual endowments. You are to let your light shine but do so with wisdom and discretion.

And there's this:

P.1572 - §5 While light dispels darkness, it can also be so "blinding" as to confuse and frustrate. We are admonished to let our light so shine that our fellows will be guided into new and godly paths of enhanced living.

The better part of dissemination is discretion.

Blessed be, Rick

PostPosted:  

Rick, others

Beautifuly quoted, But what i'm looking for is not what the UB and its revelators say, but what you as a servant of the Master would say, and do. You have the 5 Talents, or maybe the 2 or like most of us we have the one. Those with the one talents are in the majority, maybe 95% of us fall on the one talent. Being the example as quoted in your first quote is the least we in the 95% should be able to do, and should do. I'm looking for answers from the 2 Talent and 5 talent brotherhood. If your a 1 talent brother or sister and you are being a good example and not burying your Talent then you need not comment if you don't want to. I know out there are 5 Talent brothers and sisters with 5 talent ideas, tell us. What has God put opon your heart?

God bless.......Jess

PostPosted:  

Good question Jess,

We must all try not to die rich, right?

And how rich we reader/believers are! The richest on the planet. So it's a challenge to give so much away before dying or fusing off Urantia, and do it according to Father's will. We're bound to do it imperfectly, but perfection of wisdom and action in dissemination should still be our goal, no?

Praying helps, but it's a darn tough call. Look at how Peter, Paul and Abner stumbled with good intentions and bad results.

Blessings, Rick

PostPosted:  

Quote:
We must all try not to die rich, right?

This sentence hit home for me, Rick. Recently I had a wake up call on my health, kinda been ignoring it like I did in my 20's, but I'm so much past that age mark...have slipped well into the other side of half a century. Anyway, what scared me wasn't dying, it was dying now, just when things are getting interesting, just when there are people in my life that I'm a "part of". Not really sure how to explain it but it feels like I have been placed in the midst of others who are at their own points of reaching out, their own life-changing turning points, and that somehow I've been moved into place at certain moments. It really is fascinating b/c I have very little to do w/any of it...just allowing and cooperating as I become more aware? I guess :roll: ...don't really know for sure and don't really care to know. It's just so amazing to be present when another person's eyes open in wonder at The More.

I'm so very grateful to have the privilege of witnessing the changes that occur in those who are sincerely reaching out to God. They may think they are reaching out to me, but I've been where they are and realize that there is so much more going on in those moments...it is God they are longing for. Somehow, on those rare occasions when my ego steps (or is nudged) aside, I get to witness that connection. I'm there on the sidelines and can only stand in awe at being utilized in some small way for something so potent, so outside of me yet so gut-level real.

And to your questions, jess...there may very well be some who can plan some concrete action on spreading the Truths, and this is as it should be. But for me, and I suspect for many others, just being open to the Presence in the moments with others provides what is needed. If I, in my upside down, ego-driven mind tried to arrange any of it...no doubt I would do harm. My past experiences confirm that for me.

Peace
Jo

PS...it's really good to see Tramp back.

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)

PostPosted:  

Jess wrote:

Quote:
To realize for the first time that the TALENTS were not money, But the TRUTH, the Word of God. What we were to do with the TRUTH, just as we do with money, work it, multiply it, spread it around. In no way was it to be buried. Our revelator in page 1917:3, very nicely states: "Truth is living; the Spirit of Truth is ever leading the children of light into new realms of spiritual reality and divine service. You are not given truth to crystallize into settled, safe, and honored forms. Your revelation of truth must be so enhanced by passing through your personal experience that new beauty and actual spiritual gains will be disclosed to all who behold YOUR spiritual fruits and in consequence thereof are led to glorify the Father who is in heaven. Only those faithful servants who thus grow in the knowledge of the TRUTH, and who thereby develop the capacity for divine appreciation of spiritual realities, can ever hope to "enter fully into the joy of their Lord" What a sorry sight for successive generations of the professed followers of Jesus to say, regarding their stewardship of divine TRUTH: "Here, Master, is the TRUTH you committed to us a hundred, or a thousand years ago. We have lost nothing; we have faithfully preserved all you gave us; we have allowed no changes to be made in that which you taught us; here is the TRUTH you gave us." In accordance with the TRUTH committed to YOUR HANDS will the Master of TRUTH require a reckoning. Such selfish stewards must accept the concequences of their deliberate choosing.

This quote states that our personal revelation of truth (which comes from within) must pass through our personal experience as spiritual fruits which then leads others to glorify the Father (their source). This process helps others to identify the source of these fruits within themselves and encourages them to discover the Father for themselves. They then perpetuate the process of spreading the benign virus of love by allowing this personal revelation to pass through their experience as spiritual fruits.

The fruits of the spirit are: Loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, enduring peace, love, joy, long suffering, gentleness, faith, meekness and temperance. ( UB 381 & 2054)

I don't see billboards anywhere on that list. I also don't see the words evangelize, proselytize, missionize, convert, recruit or preach.

Evangelizing is simply bearing fruit. Evangelizing, at its root source, is character transformation; one's OWN character, not someone else's. And the more you are ridiculed and harassed because of it, the more evidence you have that you are on the right path.

I think it is dangerous to begin proselytizing without first attempting to perfect one's own character. Jesus once warned his exuberant apostles:
Quote:
p1579:1 140:7.5 One week of this varied experience did much for the twelve; some even became over self-confident. At the last conference, the night after the Sabbath, Peter and James came to Jesus, saying, "We are ready— let us now go forth to take the kingdom." To which Jesus replied, "May your wisdom equal your zeal and your courage atone for your ignorance."

The words below are referring to organized traditional religion with its strict adherence to the beliefs, rites, and crystallized dogmas established by the Church fathers, unchanged over thousands of years out of fear of losing the truth entrusted to them. The Jews were guilty of this in Jesus' day as many Christians are today.

Quote:
"Here, Master, is the TRUTH you committed to us a hundred, or a thousand years ago. We have lost nothing; we have faithfully preserved all you gave us; we have allowed no changes to be made in that which you taught us; here is the TRUTH you gave us."

It is our job to convince those with buried talents to unearth them, use them and let them live by passing through their personal experience. This is the Gospel.

The fact that so many UB readers want to shake the sleeping world and wake it up is admirable. But, a book cannot do this overnight. Yes, we do revere our books, especially books we believe are written by God or his agents; but, spiritual fruits are far more fragrant than books and personal love is far more catchy that words.

People hold onto their buried treasures out of fear of losing them. The idea is to alleviate the fear. Ramrodding truth down people's throats foments fear and agitates defensiveness. The best way to convince others to dig their talents out from the dirt is by gentleness, tenderness and kindness. We all have much to learn concerning this. Consider these years of studying TUB to be similar to the months of training the apostles had before going out to spread the Gospel. Even with all of their training from "God in Person", they still botched it up.

Jess, if you want to be an effective apostle spreading the Gospel, learn about the fruits from God-within first. Become a master of your self before trying to convince others to try it. Lead by example not billboards.

PostPosted:  

Wow some fantastic posts! Heavy laden with truths I am
happy to hear, truths of practical practice -- and living in the
Light.

I appreciate your feelings, Jess. Lord knows I've shouted
out about the Urantia Book. And I have been ridiculed and
laughed at along the way...in my efforts to share the
"good news" that is the UB.

I like distilling things. So in my imagination I distilled this down
to:

What if I had had the opportunity to read the Urantia Book,
I fully accepted it, and the main thing I took away from it
was the concept of "the Fatherhood of God and the
Brotherhood of Man".

Now let's say, all Urantia Books on the planet suddenly disappeared.
No trace of it anywhere...not books, not on the net. Gone.

How would I then best set about to share the core value
of the revelation?

Thankfully this is just a silly hypothetical. I'm glad we have
the book.

But I see the Urantia Book as only playing a very important
supporting role in a much richer story.

Our greatest talent seems to be acknowledging the presence
of God, and then sharing that awareness by living our lives in
accordance to that continuing realization. People will pick up on it.
Even without words.

Peace,
Russ

PostPosted:  

Dear Jess,

I have great respect for the fifth epochal revelation. I too wish that the whole world was privy to its contents. I have learned so much and I have grown more than would have been possible if I did not acquire the Urantia book. But I have seen far too many Urantia book readers become UB fundamentalists. They espouse the words in a book to the letter, but they have missed the spirit of the words written down. For it is not mere words that will transform our lives, it is the spirit of the Father that dwells within.

When we become aware that a piece of the infinite Father indwells our minds, something amazing happens. The urge to discover truth, beauty and goodness takes over our whole being. We begin to blossom like the rose in a spiritual sense. So, the main lesson of the Urantia book is, in my opinion, to discover the Father within and to be inspired to become like the Father that has poured out his love upon us. If we are tied to a book then we have missed the point. The Father wants us to transform our lives. The Father wants our lives to become a living prayer. We become a living expression of our infinite Father through the way that we live our lives.

There are no formulas, there are no elixirs, there are no magic potions that can take the place of the lives that we lead. For it is through the way that we live our lives that we let our light shine before men. We may espouse the words in a book, but such words become hollow if those words are not backed up by a life lived in harmony with the indwelling Father.

When I consider the life of my beloved Creator Son, it is the way that he lived his life that gives me inspiration. I have tried in vain to understand the love that he had for us and the love that he still pours out upon us. There are no words adequate enough to express the beauty of his life as a human being. His life bursts forth upon a universe and inspires trillions of beings to become one with the Father. He showed us that it is possible as mere mortals, as mere human beings to become one with the Father. To think that the infinite Father would want to become one with us is overwhelming. But what I find more inspiring is that he does not intrude upon our lives insisting that we do things his way. But that is what inspires me all the more. That the infinite Father would desire to become one with his wayward children of Urantia. There is something there that is inexpressible. It is a love that goes unspoken but resides in the deepest parts of our souls.

The Father has given us a gift indescribable. But we can likewise give Him a gift. When we reach the point where we love Him more than we love ourselves we desire to make His will our will. Just imagine what the world could be like if every man, woman and child desired to become one with the Father. These would not be people spouting the words in a book, but these would be people that would be the living embodiment of truth, beauty and goodness. These would be human beings becoming living expressions of the eternal God.

Love,
Paul

PostPosted:  

What are the issues in life, I mean the ones that seem to be having the biggest impact on people today that delay or even stop growth in the Mind, body, spirits ability to become conscience of our true selves?

How about let look at the beginning of life, while in the womb we are in need.
Are those needs being met?

After birth what need do we have?
Are those needs being met?

So as we develop there are the Genetic factors, which we are more than less powerless over, but we: if we own the responsibility, have powers over the Environmental (psychosocial) factors in our lives.

The Environmental issues have been debated to death with no-one agreeing on true solution. All being laid at the feet of public indication, but more so should be laid at the feet of those that see the issue as one of profit and will only in-act a solution unless they see how to get rich from it.

Which in our Capitalistic environment, is more to blame for all of our social issue today.

And let look at the feeding of the mind! Is it being fed well or starved of truth, beauty and goodness?
Has the need for survival become so in the face of the majority that living is not seen as a first priority?
Even if we have a majority of living well and healthy families, once a child is in school he/she must adapt to what is in front of them, that being maybe a small number of children with aggressive behavior due to abuse and a high survival instinct, will be the one bad apple factor that spoils the whole bunch issue.

What is the healthy approach to solves this issue?

Debates and scapegoating have gone on for decades now, with no one doing anything that works to really have a measurable impact.

But once you have survived your child hood and become an adult what skills do you have to be an adult?

And if you become a parent? Do you have any skills to be a healthy one?

From there the circle begins again. And our society, suffers the never ending repetition of passing on the failing of one generation to another.

Do any of us have Talents that could be put to use to solve this issues that would truly change the world?

Are we! Staying True To The Journey?

PostPosted:  

J. Barry wrote:
What are the issues in life, I mean the ones that seem to be having the biggest impact on people today that delay or even stop growth in the Mind, body, spirits ability to become conscience of our true selves?

Do any of us have Talents that could be put to use to solve this issues that would truly change the world?

Are we! Staying True To The Journey?

Barry, well said, I would add: "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH YOUR TALENTS TODAY?"

I'm one of those who have received the 5 TALENTS, and I'm always looking for ways of spreading them out. Those of us with more than one TALENT have a bigger responsbilities.
from the previous posts we all seem to agree that it is us which will ultimately reflect the Truth, the Word of God, AS HE WALKED BY. We just lost a beautiful brother who as he walked by reflected TALENTS, our dear brother Joey.

Jess