Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:16 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted:  

As a faithful and long-time Urantia Book reader, I am one of those who feels the Urantia Book is long-overdue for some serious attention.

It's nice that we have efforts into the translation of the book, and these blog sites are great for us UB readers who want to discourse on the many meanings and truths coming from the book. But when you think of just how important the fifth epochal revelation is, it is sad that more isn't being spoken about this fabulous book, a book that someday will have a major impact on the destiny of mankind.

First, I would like to suggest that a real effort be put into publishng works about the Urantia Book. There should be a collobrative effort into getting feedback from experts in the field of science, history and religion, and have them carefully study the book. What would they they say of its volumous information?

It's not enough that we all simply agree with the beauty and trascendant message of the UB, we need to put it under a microscope, just like we would if a meteor landed in the desert from some far off galaxy and we wanted to explore its fundamental properties to learn as much as we could.

The Urantia Book offers plenty of homework for the vast number of historians, scientists, and astronomers who may want to prove - or disprove the many claims contained in the UB.

Someday, people are going to want to know as much as they can about the UB and where it came from. They will want to know how this infrmation came to be, and why.

The second thing we should do is to setup a school, a real learning institution that allows people from around the world to study the Urantia Book (and perhaps all worlds religions). Here, teachers and advisors could develope curriculum so that in the future, just as Adam and Eve intended to set up a universal school of culture, The Urantia Book could become the center of true enlightened learning.

If the Urantia Book really is the epochal message of our time and age, if it really is a revelation, then should it langish in obsecurity for another fifty years?

Don't get me wrong, I applaud what has been achieved so far. Its great to have thousands of readers worldwide. But against the backdrop of modern humanity, the Urantia Book, considering its importance, remains a light hidden in the shadows.

If Jesus showed up today, would he just be sitting at a computer talking about God, sharing emails with people who happen to meet him? Or would he take his message to the masses and say "look, I have some news to share."

The Urantia Book is not just about history, it's a book that will change history. It will have a profound effect on the way people view themeselves in this Universe. But people have to start discussing it in the open if anyone is going to take notice.

Let's start with ideas. How can we increase Urantia awareness?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Hello Jwatkins00...

Quote:
The Urantia Book, considering its importance, remains a light hidden in the shadows.

I totally agree with you.... I dont think there is enough being done by the long term readers of Urantia...to introduce this book to the rest of the world.. im very much surprised to say the least as a newbie to have discovered this. I would love to contribute oneday, somehow....

Love Sarah xx

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

jwatkins00
Quote:
First, I would like to suggest that a real effort be put into publishng works about the Urantia Book. There should be a collobrative effort into getting feedback from experts in the field of science, history and religion, and have them carefully study the book. What would they they say of its volumous information?

Here's how Dr. Sadler addresses some objections raised by many at that time.

http://www.urantiabook.org/archive/history/sadcrit.htm

Quote:
The second thing we should do is to setup a school, a real learning institution that allows people from around the world to study the Urantia Book (and perhaps all worlds religions). Here, teachers and advisors could develope curriculum so that in the future, just as Adam and Eve intended to set up a universal school of culture, The Urantia Book could become the center of true enlightened learning.

There may still be a Urantia Brotherhood in existence. They specifically organized a course to develop certified teachers of TUB.

http://urantiabook.org/archive/history/doc075.htm

Quote:
Let's start with ideas. How can we increase Urantia awareness

Well let's see what's been tried.

Publishing
Urantian Foundation
Urantia Brotherhood
Study groups
Advertising, (online and convention centers)
Urantia Fellowship
Word of mouth

The only thing I can think of is pyramiding. Who knows? It worked for Amway :smile:

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks Tasneem and Coyote for your response.

I believe that Urantia Book reeaders are so worried about the book being seen as cult-like, we're afraid to say we read the book. The Foundation, for all of thier great efforts in getting it translated, did much harm in the beginning by not allowing abled body people to shout the good news from the hilltops.

Who knows, maybe there is an underground group of believers (like the Freemasons) who are a small but powerful group who try to use UB principles in effecting government and social policy.

But back to my orginal first step, why can't an effort be made in getting world renowned experts to publicy scrutinze the book. Unlike Christians who cherish the Bible, I have no doubt the Urantia Book would pass any test put to it by true critical thinkers.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Jim,

I share your desire for a school of some sort. It seems to me that at sometime in the future there will be a time when the UB comes into prominence. When that happens we will need scholars and spokespersons to answer questions, guide study, and provide a brake on much idle speculation by people picking only one small area of the UB for either praise or criticism.

How is that to happen? I think efforts have been made in the past. I have read of some of Meridith Sprunger's efforts to make the UB available to the traditional Christian community. It must have been discouraging.

We seem to be reluctant to develop scholarship for fear of developing authority. Perhaps that relates to how much many of us have been burned by our churches. But I believe we have many scholars of the UB in the movement, I just don't know who they are. But they probably teach at our large meetings and also hide away where no one knows them. But is the scholarship challenged, tested, stimulated by the needs of students or is it primarily self-directed. I know from my own point of view my views of the UB are self directed and unchallenged after 30 years of study.

Another consideration is whether we need schools teaching the UB or do we need schools like the one in Urmia that allow all religions to come and study, diaglog, and teach under the guiding principal of the sovereignty of the one God? Would that be more productive, more inclusive, and in the end more educational? I hope many will join in this dialog. The internet makes courses so much easier to offer, to teach, and to pay for. Perhaps, like many online MDiv programs there could be both online and resident intensive portions. This also relates to my question of the provision of pastoral care that is currently posted on this site.

Thank you for the question. I hope it stimulates some interest.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks Al. Great food for thought.

You bring up a good point in that most of us enjoy reading our books in the privacy of our own lives. Sooner or later, what we do with the book will be tantamount to what is described in the parable of the sower

No great achievement comes without effort. And the great achievement of the Urantia Book will be in it's ability to a) withstand public scrutiny and b) effect peoples lives in a positive way.

For example, the Scientologist proudly talk about thier beliefs, and yet, they have beliefs that are equally (if not more) strange that UB. Yet, they are vocal, proud and convinced that they have something that can improve one's well-being. How is this so different from the followers of Urantia Book?

The difference is this: Most people have never heard of the UB, because UB people don't talk about it, at least publicly. ( I heard one time that Jackie Gleason was on Johnny Carson and when Jackie mentioned the book, Johnny changed the subject)

Caligastia is probably laughing his head off. Here we have the most precious gift ever given to any world, and what do we do? We create a law that prevents people from sharing it (except verbally). This illustrates my point that the UB is a gift to the world.

Up until a few years ago, if I wanted to make copies of a particular page and mail it to a friend, I would have had to get permission or risk an infringement fine.

My point is this. The time for people to start hearing about the Urantia Book is not going to come with instructions from Melchizedek or from Gabriel that it is safe to do so. It came the moment the papers started appearing in Sadlers safe. It came when study groups started popping up all over the world. It came when the final version was printed in 1955.

A book of this importance should be on 60 Minutes, or at least, on the History Channel. It's that important. And people need to hear about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Jim,
One of my questions has always been, "the book or the teaching?" Is the book the thing? Was Jesus the thing or was the Gospel he brought the thing. I wonder if Paul's error wasn't in making the divine Jesus he created and the story about him the center instead of making the teaching, the Gospel of Jesus, the center. From my 30 years I am afraid that the teaching of the UB comes down to the same as the teaching of Jesus, "love of God as Father and love of neighbor as yourself". I love the complications and depth of the book, but I wonder if we should promote the book or that simple teaching.
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Al Woods
Quote:
I love the complications and depth of the book, but I wonder if we should promote the book or that simple teaching.

I agree Al; love the concept, not the book.

Both the N/T and Part IV have something in common as you very well know. "Love God , Love your neighbor"

And yet for many it's not enough. Perhaps the Sixth and Seventh Epochal Revelations will unite all as Family joined in Peace.

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I'm one that believes love is enough.
Taken and received in ones best light, the love invitation and drawing power of the FER is transformational, individually. I trust love aspiring transforming personalities to contribute to the living as their chosen love-path dictates.
No doubt, as public interest is increased there will be a snowball effect. My concern is that established organizations, like the Urantia Foundation, will be ill-prepared for the mission.
One thing we could do is to stimulate trade among readers. The arts, things of beauty, thoughts that inspire inside fortune cookies or something...
Perhaps we can find ways of demonstrating that brotherhood equates to good citizenship.
Meanwhile we could teach at the online school or facilitate the current efforts as love leads.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

In response to the dangers of making the UB more important than what it teaches, I totally agree that we will always face that danger. We have seen how Jesus has become more important that what he taught- but it was the authority of Jesus, the fact that he was the Son of God and the Son of Man that made his teachings so important.

I don't wish to make the Urantia Book the focus of attention, but you can't seperate the fact that the authority of what it is (a collaborative effort of multiple spiritual personalities who were charged with a mission to write the papers and deliver them to us) versus what it has to say.

I don't worship the book, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't amazed at how lucky I feel to have it in my possession.

But yes, we can't forget that the message ultimately is more important than the messenger, and that message is: we are all part of a wonderful, living, vibrant and purposeful universe.

I really don't think enough is being done to get the book out there, in front of people. That's why I think the first step is public promotion, then scrutiny, debate, etc...then, I think enough people will come forward and say that the Book needs to be examined for the truths and revelation that it contains.

I'm not getting much response on this matter, so I just wanted to thank all of those who took the time to give me thier feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

jwatkins00

Quote:
I really don't think enough is being done to get the book out there, in front of people. That's why I think the first step is public promotion, then scrutiny, debate, etc...then, I think enough people will come forward and say that the Book needs to be examined for the truths and revelation that it contains.

Here's A thought for you. I have done it in the past and am still doing it. Sign in to an Atheist web page with a liberal chat blog. Introduce yourself as a UB reader looking to exchange ideas. See what develops.

Nothing to loose and a whole lot to gain :smile: .

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

the urantia book is here, online. and for all who are seeking truth, i beleive they will find it. "the spirit of truth shall lead you into all truth."
i too, would like to share this precious gift with others. i am still 300 or so pages short of finishing the book. and i can't wait to share it with any who will receive it. my plan is to do the aol chatrooms and share as best i can.

the only gospel i preach is that of the fatherhood of god and the brotherhood of man. trying to make them see that the real message has all but been lost. the profile i use has the urantia book links and hopefully some people will use them and be blessed.

i am reminded how often impatience has been a problem for those on urantia. i pray that it is the will of the father that the FER is soon spread far and wide.

larry - just let me know how i might be helpful.

love & blessings ~ julie

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Many excellent ideas. Let me toss out a little angle.

When Christ Michael came down 2000 yrs ago, He knew it was TIME - the TIME for another Revelation. It was TIME for it.

Yet He knew it would take hundreds and hundreds of yrs before His New Revelation would make it to America, to Africa, etc. Missionaries are still 'beating the bushes' all over the globe. T'ain't no time to tarry. T'ain't no time to have anxiety either.

Imagine the excitement the early apostles must have had. They reached a handful of countries. There was nothing but 100% confidence in Heaven that all would go according to Plan. We do what we can do.

Seekers must also do their part - seek ! Full steam ahead !! O:)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Gods Day All My Brother Fatsoul Sez :arrow:
''We do what we can do. '' :wink: AMEN ~ So it Is , So it May be So . We Are told to have Patience . As Well as ALL things Work together For the Good , When We Simply Trust In And Love The Father . Mother Teresa once said : That If you cant help and feed everyone , Then help ... one. :wink:

Namastae
We can All sow the seed of the Truth of the Good News & The Way . Father Will Water It along the Way .
Peace
Faith son
Coop

PostPosted:  

if only i could live the gospel of jesus perfectly, start moving through those psychic circles, then i could be my own advertisement for the book. leaving in a flame (fusion) wouldn't be bad either, especially if i get to spread the word shortly beforehand. wish me luck.

jwatkins00 wrote:
As a faithful and long-time Urantia Book reader, I am one of those who feels the Urantia Book is long-overdue for some serious attention.

nice avatar j, much more handsome than john from garfield.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next