Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Knowledge of the UB
PostPosted:  

I was just wondering what part of the UB everybody understands the best and which part they feel is the most important & why; Part 1, 2, 3, or 4?

GrayGhost

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi!

First, The Urantia Book is a whole.
To separate it in parts is to pervert the original format of the Book.
All of the parts are balanced in importance and meaning. Each part support and depend on each other.

For me, the most important Chapter is Chapter One. It can be alone by itself just like our Father.

And besides, it is one of my very favorites. :)

Take Care,
Jorge

Embrace Truth not a Book!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

I'll second jorgeurantia's post. Every one of the 196 Papers and the Foreword are there for a specific purpose, a purpose one can't understand until they've all been read and studied sequentially. Another question could be, which do you prefer more, your legs, torso, arms, or head?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

lwatkins said
Quote:
Another question could be, which do you prefer more, your legs, torso, arms, or head?

Now that was a little sarcastic and uncalled for.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I enjoy Part 3 the most.

This covers physical evolution of our planet - which predates the
coming of religions, prophets, etc. Physical evolution was ESSENTIAL
to having any people, cultures, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey Ghost

Nice to see you here. I agree with Colter, in another thread he said, Part IV is the place to start. It was the most familiar for me. Then like Arc said in that same thread I've jumped around and read it and turned it every which way but loose. If you have any spiritual questions or likes, pop them up here on the board. A lot of us would like to share our input with you about them. God Bless and be Well! May the Holy Ghost Guide you in your spiritual growth. Amen.

Starting at the beginning I found it annoying. I actually shelved TUB for two years after my first look at it. But wanting and searching for more information about Jesus. Part IV was the most fulfilling story of Jesus I have ever read. I would recommend Part IV 1st. Then Part III, Then Part II and finally Part I. I find in that order, it's a journey in understanding from where we are here on earth, through the cosmos to the most complete understanding of the aspects and personalities and essence of God to date.

But if you start at the beginning it's so new and strange and unusual that I was put off by it before I really get anywhere. I implore you in the old blue book to start on page 1344 at the Birth of Christ. Give you self a chance to enjoy the book. In the new book what ever paper has The Birth of Christ in it.

If you start the other way, it's like starting at a level of God as God is understood by the highest beings in creation and traversing an understanding of the cosmos that we don't have yet, back down through the physical and cultural evolution of our local universe, star systems, planets, worlds, on down to where we are today as humankind.

So try it the other way, from IV to I it's an easier journey. I originally liked PartIV the best. But now like Jorge said I like all of it the best except maybe still Part I. It seems like I’m way below the spiritual understanding to enjoy it the way I think I will a half of eternity from now!

God Bless You again Ghost! Hope you find what you’re lookin’ for!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Joer,

I must totally disagree. The UB can only be fully understood by reading it just as it was written. It is a work that is self dependant. Starting from an easy read such as part four might seem to be the way, but the problem with this is you have no true idea of Michael's identity. You are relying on your old Christian concept which is far short of the mark.

I see it the same as Larry. I made the mistake of starting with part three. It took a few more readings in correct order to understand the concept of the Supreme Being and the interrelationships of deity levels.

Any approach is better than none at all, but I strongly recommend sticking it out front to back. Not to say that peeking at easier parts for a break is verbotten.

Bill,
Faith son

http://billurantia3.bravehost.com//welc ... ALITY.html

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Somehow it seems that most people in this group have assumed that I am a first time reader. Not so, I’ve read it completely 3 times and have been doing allot of research on various topics.

And while it’s is true that the book must be read as a whole to get the full impact (and I always recommend that people read it backwards Part 4, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 and 4). But to truly understand it you must read it out of sequence. If this wasn’t true there would be no need for a concordance and other various research papers.

Perhaps it's time I repeated my question
Quote:
I was just wondering what part of the UB everybody understands the best and which part they feel is the most important & why; Part 1, 2, 3, or 4?

GrayGhost

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Howdy, Gray Ghost!

Welcome to Truthbook. I see you've been around for a long time but don't post much. Perhaps you know more about all this than any of us. :smile:

Gorge and Larry both have a point that there are some advantages to reading the book sequentially. But I think they are overstating the case. I would advise anyone to read UB any way they can. Each of the papers is compelling and coherent on its own. No doubt knowing the whole story illuminates the details, but there is certainly no harm in reading the papers at random or in any order you choose. If that were the case, Truthbook would not distribute quotes of the day in the manner they do.

I personally don't remember the order I first read UB, but I know it wasn't front to back. I pretty much let my Inner Light lead me here and there. Over the years, I have read it in order several times, but I not sure that gave it any special value, except the certianty that I had indeed read it all. I would concur with Fatboy, however, that Part 3 is an excellent place to start. Starting with the history of our planet just seems more, well... down to earth. And that leads quite nicely into the jewel of the book, Part 4, the life of Jesus, which is without doubt my favorite part. His living example of how to be a child of God and a brother to men and women gets me fired up!

I doubt that Larry was being sarcastic. That is not his nature. I'm not quite sure his analogy fits the situation, but you asked for opinions and you got a couple of strong ones right off the bat. No need to be alarmed. O:) Who was it that said, "That sir, is my opinion, and if you don't like it, I have others!"?

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Peace,
Arc

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Post Script.

I see Gray Ghost has posted while I was posting, so I may seem a little disjointed. :wink:

Around here, things can go off topic pretty quickly, but usually not too far. Just for clarity, I will reemphasize that my favorite parts are 3 and 4, mostly because I live on earth and because Jesus was a man and I am a man. I'm mostly a practical fellow. :smile:

Peace,
Arc

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

The truth is, whatever method one goes about to read the book has to be infinitely better than not reading it at all. But for me to recommend that the book be read any way other than in the way it is written would be for me to assume that I know better than the revelators who were wise enough to put words into English in such a fashion as to actually infuse my mind with a revelation that transcends the words themselves. They wrote a revelation, I expect they also understood how books are read and what the appropriate order for imparting its message to the human mind would be. Yes, the book talks to us in different ways and some minds will naturally gravitate to some parts in preference to others but if you can't read the book as it's written, sooner or later, then you cannot assume you have a full grasp of the revelation. If someone chooses to read the book backwards after I've recommended they read it straight through, fine with me, but I would never suggest that it be done that way in the first place.

Let's let The Urantia Book speak for itself:

For example: The human mind would ordinarily crave to approach the cosmic philosophy portrayed in these revelations by proceeding from the simple and the finite to the complex and the infinite, from human origins to divine destinies. But that path does not lead to spiritual wisdom. Such a procedure is the easiest path to a certain form of genetic knowledge, but at best it can only reveal man's origin; it reveals little or nothing about his divine destiny.
Even in the study of man's biologic evolution on Urantia, there are grave objections to the exclusive historic approach to his present-day status and his current problems. The true perspective of any reality problem—human or divine, terrestrial or cosmic—can be had only by the full and unprejudiced study and correlation of three phases of universe reality: origin, history, and destiny. The proper understanding of these three experiential realities affords the basis for a wise estimate of the current status.
When the human mind undertakes to follow the philosophic technique of starting from the lower to approach the higher, whether in biology or theology, it is always in danger of committing four errors of reasoning:
1. It may utterly fail to perceive the final and completed evolutionary goal of either personal attainment or cosmic destiny.
2. It may commit the supreme philosophical blunder by oversimplifying cosmic evolutionary (experiential) reality, thus leading to the distortion of facts, to the perversion of truth, and to the misconception of destinies.
3. The study of causation is the perusal of history. But the knowledge of how a being becomes does not necessarily provide an intelligent understanding of the present status and true character of such a being.
4. History alone fails adequately to reveal future development—destiny. Finite origins are helpful, but only divine causes reveal final effects. Eternal ends are not shown in time beginnings. The present can be truly interpreted only in the light of the correlated past and future.
Therefore, because of these and for still other reasons, do we employ the technique of approaching man and his planetary problems by embarkation on the time-space journey from the infinite, eternal, and divine Paradise Source and Center of all personality reality and all cosmic existence.
(19:1.5-12)

The Urantia Book: You have to read it to believe it!

Now, as an aside, a diverging topic, I've recently heard it discussed that The Urantia Book should not be translated into other languages, or, if it is translated it should contain the caveat at the front that says something along the lines of -- The Urantia Book was indicted into the linear English language with great difficulty by beings who do not think in linear fashion. English was chosen above other languages because of its fullness and richness of expression and the form of English contained in The Urantia Book is well above the level of any university text. Fluent English speakers have difficulty comprehending all the concepts contained in this book. Therefore, any translation into another language will be only partial in its content and much of the revelatory content of the message will be lost.

That's part of the reason I object to making synopsis or abbreviated versions of the book -- you end up with factoids devoid of the revelation.

It's also been said that part of Adam and Eve's mission was to establish a world language. English is becoming that language due to commerce and the economic stature of English speaking countries in the world. So, translating the book into other languages is a deterrent to the establishment of one world wide language. That almost sounds good, but not quite. It's an interesting thought though.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

lwatkins,

All of what you said is true, but I deal with a lot of borderline Christens. You know the type, people who desperately want to believe in Jesus and yet at the same time they can’t buy into the storyline their churches teach. They’re reading things Edgar Cayce, ACIM, CWG and God knows what else.

Well I’ve I had some limited success by having them read parts 4, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, and finally 4. This way it takes them from something they’re familiar with backwards towards the more bizarre.

Now I don’t have them do this cold turkey. I pretty much have given them a synopsis of the book and they have a general idea of what they’re getting into. And of course there is a lot of tutelage involved in keeping them reading. It’s a slow process, but I’ve had some limited success with it.

But this is all material for a thread by itself. Sorry about that remark I make about you earlier.

But back to question at hand:
Quote:

GrayGhost

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Oooh, GrayGhost! That is like asking a child, "What kind of candy do you like best?" I love it all! But ...

First I fell in love with Jesus by reading Part IV the first time. I had never had any dealings with Jesus, having had no real connection to Christianity, but the Jesus of the Urantia Papers was all and more than what I had secretly hoped he would be. I was reading Part IV much like a novel, emotionally enrapt, and when I got to the part of the crucifixion, I was so agitated, so moved, so outraged, so fired up ... I was beside myself. I have NEVER forgotten that feeling. As a result of coming to know Jesus, I studied for many years his qualities so I could make them my own. As a result, the fruits of the spirit are quite dear to me, and so is "As he passed by." Let me not overlook Rodan of Alexandria and the morontia appearances as definite favorites.

Second, I like Part III because I love what I call the Thought Adjuster Papers, the Marriage Papers and the Religious Papers. But also, I studied Paper 72 so thoroughly it became a major inspiration for a 500-page novel I wrote about a unique civilization created by altruists.

In terms of Part II, I've been working on a study of the adjutant mind spirits, comparing them to the chakras of the Aryuveda, while I am attempting to become more familiar with the Ministering Spirits of the Local Universe, Celestial Artisans and other "heavenly helpers."

I've given talks on Part I. I like "The Nature of God" a lot, and I like hearing about the Infinite Spirit. After contemporary male dominated theology, I've been enjoying incorporating a feminine aspect to Diety.

But my absolutely flat-out, bottom line favorite is "The Adjuster's Problem." It is the most exquisite piece of writing I've ever encountered.

Thanks for asking.

Post subject: My journey
PostPosted:  

Part IV, we learn to love our Christ Michael in ways we never thought possible.
Part III we learn so much about our earthly home, a rich history for all humans.
Part II we are part of the (evolving story) with mental glimpses of what is directly ahead, and finally
Part I, we learn a seed more about the Eternal purpose in association with the Trinity.

I myself, after a rapid (Fast Forward) from the Forward began my journey in Chapter I, Page 1.

My favorite part of the UB is to snuggle up next to GOD and feel the spiritual kinship. My human mind
blanks often with the unfathomable, yet with the mind ministry of my TA, personal needs are met and I survive each journey with greater anticipation.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

The UB is a book! Apperantly channeled through "spiritual beings" The Ideas expessed in this book are indeed very compelling but to give unproven, yet intriguing ideas authority is premature. I read the Teachings of Jesus first. I started reading it and was caught up in the concepts of right and wrong and how they relate to the world and myself and the millions of people who surround me. The value of Jesus's message of love and kinship are imence. I could test the Truth in Jesus's teachings by comparing them to life lessons and values I had accumulated through my life. The facts of Jesus's life and the history of the Earth presented in the UB, in my opinion, will need to be taken as great reading, but unusable in forming opinions on universal truthes. The UB is by far the best book, and by best book I mean benificial, I have encountered on the subject of LIFE. It is all entertaining but for ME part 4 is the true heart of the UB but only because it can be tested with Truth.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next