Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:49 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted:  

Hi all, we are seeking readers in the St. Louis area who would like to begin attending a study group in the new year. Anyone?

Love to all,

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey John and Jane,

I don't know anyone in St. Louis but there are readers easily accessed here on line. And they seem to be willing to discuss just about anything that has to do with the Urantia Book. So welcome back with your study ideas.

God Bless and guide you to do His Will.

PostPosted:  

Hi Joe and other folks who replied: We are long-time readers and hosted or attended study groups everywhere we have lived except now in St. Louis. Just can't seem to find (or birth) any readers....

We read the various boards and enjoy the topics, but there is nothing (as I am sure you know) like the eye to eye, heart to heart joy of studying, reading, and discussing the UB in an intimate setting like a home. So, we will carry on and hope that one of these days a study group will form.

Have a great New Year and remember the blessings--with a great and humble gratitude--which we experience daily from our heavenly Father, Michael, and the angels as recipients of this mighty revelation.

Love to all, Jane and John

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Jane!

Just to take advantage of the proximity of this web board to chat for a minute. Good luck on generating the necessary energy to create the momentum to get a group started. Our community floundered many years ago, alas, but it is rumored that a long-term reader will soon be starting up another UB reading group in the Albuquerque area after a long hiatus and I am looking forward to attending. Like you said, there is nothing like sitting in the presence of God in our fellows, with eye to eye contact, where we can see body language and hear subtleties of language, nuance and innuendo, so we know when somebody is trying to be funny and when somebody is being sincere.

Some people have the gift of opening their homes to such events and people just come flocking in through their open door. I have not been successful at maintaining a reader group, although I have opened the door often enough, but I am very good as an attendant when other folks have one. My first husband and I used to go study with Dorothy Elms' (one of the original Forumites) group, when we first moved to the Southwest in 1976. She had a very loyal attendance, but she was quite old and not well. Even so, sitting in her presence was like sitting in the room with a morontia companion.

Best wishes for a new and companionable group of readers -- and all the other things compatible to truth, beauty and goodness that we would wish -- for the upcoming Happy New Year.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I took note of those people in school who "studied" in groups. One of two things inevitably happened when group mentality took over - they either all flunked or they found a way to cheat.

And no comment on the "personality" dynamics of who came out as the "alpha" leader in those study groups....

Page 1121 - "Religious speculation is inevitable but always detrimental: speculation invariably falsifies its object."

"Study groups" turns participants into "anecdotes".

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Perhaps "reading group" would be a better definition for you, Fetish. Have you participated in any kind of "reading group" or do you disdain any kind of group? Or, since I do not know you at all, are you merely disdaining the Urantia Papers? It's really hard to tell, with that recent post of yours, what motivates you.

My experience with Urantia Book readers (not to be confused with fellow college students) has been varied. I have met some interesting people, seen the livingroom of many nice homes, partaken of many tasty snacks and witnessed a kaleidoscopic array of personalities as they/we grapple with the myriad concepts presented in the Urantia Papers. Only rarely have I considered it a waste of time. I have made lasting friends in the process.

Many use the book to underscore their original beliefs. Many use the book to validate their existence. Many use the book to enlarge their vocabulary. Many use the book to hold forth in the manner of the professorial type and lead the less agressive into at least turning the pages. Many like to spend the whole evening on one sentence, while others feel the purpose is to cover as much ground as possible. Not only are no two groups alike, no two meetings are exactly alike either.

I read the section from The Foundations of Religious Faith that you cited, but do not understand the relevance of it within the framework of this conversation. You are equating "study" with "speculation" perhaps? I have found the study of Jesus' character quite helpful in actualizing my own character, as contrasted with speculating on what it might be like to be like Jesus. My point being that, even though we may gather together to read and gain a better perspective on what the Book purports, we must also put its precepts into action ... we must take the lecture into the lab.

And speaking of:
Quote:
"Study groups" turns participants into "anecdotes".

did you hear the one about Andon and Fonta? I love that story. Especially the part about the birdsnests.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hey Ropers,

Welcome to these boards my dear friends!

Having been the participant in several of your splendid groups, I just want to say that I hope that you will be able to create yet another rich and socially satisfying reader group. Bobbie Dreier now coordinates study group activity for The Urantia Book Fellowship. If you send her the necessary info, she will list you in the online directory as folks who are "willing to host" and also as "contact persons" for your area. She is also willing to send out letters to the folks listed as readers in your area to introduce you as people who want to host a group. If you need her email write to me privately.

For those of you who have never read the book together with others, I highly recommend it. Truthbook.com has a great link to www.urantiabook.org where can be found a directory of study groups around the country, just enter your state and see what's available. The link can be found on the main page in the upper right corner under "Get Involved" or you can go directly from here by clicking the following link: http://urantiabook.org/study_groups/domestic_study_groups.htm

Blessings.....Paula

Post subject: Study Groups!
PostPosted:  

Returning to Truthbook.com after a long hiatus, I am going through the topics reading the different threads as time permits. This allows me the opportunity to learn more about the authors who contribute so much to the intelligent discussions found on so many threads.

Even should I be an atheist, or agnostic by nature of mind, wondering through these topics and threads, I sincerely believe I would be impressed with the sense of being and values expressed here and within.

The depth of conversation would sway me to read more, but it's the gentle and sincere approach to faith that would leave its lasting impression upon me.

Well, thrilled to say, I am neither an atheist nor an agnostic individual, but the impression remains. Many of you are living your faith, and that speaks volumes about you and your relationship with our Lord.

This web site has spawned a universal meeting place of great minds, many of you who are spiritually endowed with a foreshadow of great things to come for the price of faith.

Truthbook.com is the closest I have ever been in allowing other humans into my world, and it feels good. I am a stones throw and a few miles further from St. Louis, but I have never allowed myself to become involved with a study group beyond the short lived one I attended in Lubbock, TX. One side of my being is resistant, the other taking on a more positive approach.

Someday maybe, someday.

Thanks to each of you kindred spirits who share so eloquently.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]