Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:04 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Metaphysics
PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Okay fanoVan: I will seek to know/attain the divine Law before I make any actual claim about autorevelation. What I say before (2 Jan) is only speculation. No I cannot accept "personal revelation" and "autorevelation" as being the exact concept.

Okay SEla: It doesn't matter to me if you believe the UB or not. Accept what you will.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

With regard to SEla_Kelly's keen intuitions about what might be accessible to us, even from within our subjective inner world, worth reviewing paper 16 section 6, "The Cosmic mind".

This section reveals a fascinating feature enhancing our personal attempts to weave a more-or-less consistent frame in which to think, three distinct "intuitions of validity" made accessible by the three "cosmic intuitions": the mathematical, judicial, and worshipful forms of the cosmic discrimination.

From paper 16:6,
Quote:
(191.7, 16:6.4) There exists in all personality associations of the cosmic mind a quality which might be denominated the "reality response". ( more... )

Here's a taste...
Quote:
The cosmic mind unfailingly responds (recognizes response) on three levels of universe reality. These responses are self-evident to clear-reasoning and deep-thinking minds. These levels of reality are:

1. Causation -- the reality domain of the physical senses, the scientific realms of logical uniformity, the differentiation of the factual and the nonfactual, reflective conclusions based on cosmic response. This is the mathematical form of the cosmic discrimination.

2. Duty -- the reality domain of morals in the philosophic realm, the arena of reason, the recognition of relative right and wrong. This is the judicial form of the cosmic discrimination.

3. Worship -- the spiritual domain of the reality of religious experience, the personal realization of divine fellowship, the recognition of spirit values, the assurance of eternal survival, the ascent from the status of servants of God to the joy and liberty of the sons of God. This is the highest insight of the cosmic mind, the reverential and worshipful form of the cosmic discrimination.

Regarding who and what are "on stage" in our private inner world, with so many internal moving parts -- Thought Adjusters, Spirit of Truth, Holy Spirit, rhythmic adjutant pulsations, endocrine excretions, seraphic ministry -- a few of us put together a little picture that tries to illustrate the interaction of these powerful and subtle inputs to human motivation.

I'll try to dig it up and post later today.

Nigel

PostPosted:  

Functional inevitabilities which cause the influx of the cosmic mind into the mortal material tabernacle, because there the Supreme Being must need manifest? "If Reason holds true" - if a person is patient enough in his own goals, you could make an attempt to recreate the semblance of what, a stable home, a stable household. But actually with regards to the earth if we could make places for all creatures to dwell in harmony. I am not fluid enough in this dynamic to say, that if I uprooted a tree in one land, that I could make it grow in another. If I am "the seed-sowing of time in the likeness of mortal flesh," as it was foretold, then there is a metaphysics to the unitary nature of man, as in the human individual, in the fact of survival potential, or sentience. With regards to some type of "every life is indeed precious", tuition afforded to the destiny of the creature through the universe, brought forth potentials from the other of the seven universes in fact, and standing on levels coexisting with the reflective spirits.

PostPosted:  

might help in your studies to remember that the relativity of conceptual frames applies to mind and thought period, not just to any one type of thinking such as metaphysical philosophies and that faleshood is the premeditated perversion of that which is known to be true, not a matter of narration technique or incomplete understandings.

PostPosted:  

nnunn wrote:
... a few of us put together a little picture that tries to illustrate the interaction of these powerful and subtle inputs to human motivation.

Here's one attempt: we are the little one in the middle, "discovering, recognizing, interpreting, and choosing" (196:3.10)

Nigel

PostPosted:  

The premeditated perversion as fanofVan actually suggests is actually the "attunement of the individual", "the seeking of the individual to know and do God's will", even though ofttimes this status is "attenuated by pride", "determined by the human power status", or otherwise discounted according to the human inability to actuate the Supreme Being, the basic struggle. no matter how it is presented. The sincere attempts of the individual to understand universe reality are at play.

It seems like the reality of the Supreme Being, according to the Thought Adjuster (whom I do not attest to speak for, rather is some ideal to be represented via exhortation or injunction), is the actuational approach for metaphysics, nevertheless, since the Thought Adjuster is "out of Paradise" i.e. the null axis of the central universe, and has deemed human worthy via the fact of association. Then I would have to say also that potentially man or the human individual is the Supreme Being. Now to study divine law, I would need to know the actual examples of when a person is acts as or on behalf of the Supreme Being, Okay, and there is simply too little established fact, a realm which pertains to the privacy of one's charity, and indeed a subject matter which even in polite conversation is kept unrevealed.

Last edited by SEla_Kelly on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:16 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted:  

nnunn wrote:
nnunn wrote:
... a few of us put together a little picture that tries to illustrate the interaction of these powerful and subtle inputs to human motivation.

Here's one attempt: we are the little one in the middle, "discovering, recognizing, interpreting, and choosing" (196:3.10)

Nigel

excellent presentation, and even though I don't fully comprehend all these workings I do know they work! Like the guy told me one time "No one really understands electricity, we observe it and know what it can be used for and we use it to the maximum, but actually understanding why and how it exists is beyond most people's understanding"

All I know is what I have personally experienced, the love and mercy of Jesus, the manifestations of His patience, the incomparable beauty of His Creation (however He performed it is beyond me, it is enough for me to know that He is the artist)

Thanks to all who work on these graphics, videos and illustrations, so very helpful. If anyone wants background music or songs for images please let me know!

PostPosted:  

pethuel wrote:
... and even though I don't fully comprehend all these workings I do know they work!

All I know is what I have personally experienced, the love and mercy of Jesus, the manifestations of His patience, the incomparable beauty of His Creation (however He performed it is beyond me, it is enough for me to know that He is the artist)

Hi Pethuel -- agreed! And just to clarify, "Spirit of Truth" in that picture is Urantia book jargon for "the living personal presence of Jesus" :biggrin:

To put this graphically poetic impression in context for this thread, we might say that one type of metaphysical spin goes like this: "Jesus, my redeemer, has won me back into the love of God"; whereas the gap-bridging revelation is much more personal: each of us are the absolutely priceless treasured child of the creator of reality, held forever in the love of the Father, Son and Spirit!

Nigel

Last edited by nnunn on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:38 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Woohoo! YES! I love the freedom from the "Jesus suffered for my sins" mindset!

PostPosted:  

Maybe the terms metaphysics and mota should not be confused with each other or swapped?

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
Maybe the terms metaphysics and mota should not be confused with each other or swapped?

I agree...not the same thing at all.

:wink:

PostPosted:  

Quote:
On this third mansion world the survivors really begin their progressive morontia culture. The chief purpose of
this training is to enhance the understanding of the correlation of morontia mota and mortal logic, the co-ordination of morontia mota and human philosophy. Surviving mortals now gain practical insight into true metaphysics.

Metaphysics stands for man’s well-meant but futile effort to compensate for the absence of the mota of morontia.

PostPosted:  

I think the UB is full of Mota.
8)

PostPosted:  

well it's "there" reduced down to mortal concepts but the papers say mota is superphilosophy and will be like having a whole new eye to view the universe thru and add a depth perception we can't see now

PostPosted:  

Makalu wrote:
Quote:
On this third mansion world the survivors really begin their progressive morontia culture. The chief purpose of
this training is to enhance the understanding of the correlation of morontia mota and mortal logic, the co-ordination of morontia mota and human philosophy. Surviving mortals now gain practical insight into true metaphysics.

Metaphysics stands for man’s well-meant but futile effort to compensate for the absence of the mota of morontia.

Thanks for posting this snippit of two quotes for clarification on the differences between mota, revelation, and metaphysics, for there are many:

47:5.3 (536.1) Mansonia the third is a world of great personal and social achievement for all who have not made the equivalent of these circles of culture prior to release from the flesh on the mortal nativity worlds. On this sphere more positive educational work is begun. The training of the first two mansion worlds is mostly of a deficiency nature—negative—in that it has to do with supplementing the experience of the life in the flesh. On this third mansion world the survivors really begin their progressive morontia culture. The chief purpose of this training is to enhance the understanding of the correlation of morontia mota and mortal logic, the co-ordination of morontia mota and human philosophy. Surviving mortals now gain practical insight into true metaphysics. This is the real introduction to the intelligent comprehension of cosmic meanings and universe interrelationships. The culture of the third mansion world partakes of the nature of the postbestowal Son age of a normal inhabited planet.

103:6.7 (1136.2) Your difficulty in arriving at a more harmonious co-ordination between science and religion is due to your utter ignorance of the intervening domain of the morontia world of things and beings. The local universe consists of three degrees, or stages, of reality manifestation: matter, morontia, and spirit. The morontia angle of approach erases all divergence between the findings of the physical sciences and the functioning of the spirit of religion. Reason is the understanding technique of the sciences; faith is the insight technique of religion; mota is the technique of the morontia level. Mota is a supermaterial reality sensitivity which is beginning to compensate incomplete growth, having for its substance knowledge-reason and for its essence faith-insight. Mota is a superphilosophical reconciliation of divergent reality perception which is nonattainable by material personalities; it is predicated, in part, on the experience of having survived the material life of the flesh. But many mortals have recognized the desirability of having some method of reconciling the interplay between the widely separated domains of science and religion; and metaphysics is the result of man’s unavailing attempt to span this well-recognized chasm. But human metaphysics has proved more confusing than illuminating. Metaphysics stands for man’s well-meant but futile effort to compensate for the absence of the mota of morontia.

103:6.8 (1136.3) Metaphysics has proved a failure; mota, man cannot perceive. Revelation is the only technique which can compensate for the absence of the truth sensitivity of mota in a material world. Revelation authoritatively clarifies the muddle of reason-developed metaphysics on an evolutionary sphere.

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next