Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:03 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

"Media mogul Dmitry Itskov plans to live forever by uploading his personality to a robot "

Any relevance to TUB's mechanism by which personality is uploaded into morontia bodies via Thought Adjuster salvation?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... ading-his/

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

It would seriously suck to be trapped on this $hit-hole of a planet for eternity... I'll take the bus to the next stop, thanks...

Even the midwayers will get off eventually. I have nothing but respect for those stalwart and amazing personalities who must perforce, stomach the shenanigans so regularly on display by the so called "civilized" clowns who populate this spiritual slum.

PostPosted:  

Nope....no relevance at all. Just another atheist's pipe dream...rich atheist seeking immortality in all the wrong places. There can be no digital upload into a non-living system.

112:0.2 (1225.2) While it would be presumptuous to attempt the definition of personality, it may prove helpful to recount some of the things which are known about personality:

112:0.3 (1225.3) 1. Personality is that quality in reality which is bestowed by the Universal Father himself or by the Conjoint Actor, acting for the Father.

112:0.4 (1225.4) 2. It may be bestowed upon any living energy system which includes mind or spirit.

112:1.17 (1227.7) But the concept of the personality as the meaning of the whole of the living and functioning creature means much more than the integration of relationships; it signifies the unification of all factors of reality as well as co-ordination of relationships. Relationships exist between two objects, but three or more objects eventuate a system, and such a system is much more than just an enlarged or complex relationship. This distinction is vital, for in a cosmic system the individual members are not connected with each other except in relation to the whole and through the individuality of the whole.

112:1.18 (1227.8) In the human organism the summation of its parts constitutes selfhood — individuality — but such a process has nothing whatever to do with personality, which is the unifier of all these factors as related to cosmic realities.

112:1.19 (1227.9) In aggregations parts are added; in systems parts are arranged. Systems are significant because of organization — positional values. In a good system all factors are in cosmic position. In a bad system something is either missing or displaced — deranged. In the human system it is the personality which unifies all activities and in turn imparts the qualities of identity and creativity.

8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:25 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Perhaps some relevance in that the person is assuming Lucifer's position that personality is inherent in the universe and not bestowed by the Universal Father.

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

Uploading personality to a robot would give that robot self-consciousness and free will. Personality can be bestowed only on living energy systems. There is no life in robots. Life comes with the ability for reproduction. I have never heard of robots with reproductive capabilities. I know they fantasized about this sort of thing on STNG, but this is real life, last I checked.

Rexford

PostPosted:  

The article that BB provided the link to articulates how far science has to go in actually defining key terms and concepts as it discovers the power of the brain and the ability to upload or dump the brain's contents into a machine - no matter how complex or brilliant a machine may become.

One such conceptual shortcoming is the notion that brain = mind, which we know is not factual. Mind is an endowment and circuit while brain is an electro/chemical miracle of its own - if temporary. The brain might be viewed as a hard drive and processor, in a stretch, but it is the mind that delivers intuition, insight, motive, intention, and priority - not to mention creative expression of stimulus. Our brain works in many ways through the 5 senses and we have genetically delivered response and drive, neither of which can be uploaded.

Another disconnect is the inherent, working connection to the adjutant mind spirits for the function of mind within mortal mind connection to brain (and animal mind, and probably, all living organisms to one degree or another). A machine has no connection to provide for the appreciation of or articulation of meaning and values beyond a static or fixed definition.

As has been pointed out, personality itself is the biggest disconnect and can never be transferred "away" from a being of survival and ascendant destiny potential or "to" a machine that has no such potential.

An immortal machine is rather an oxymoron I think too, mechanically speaking.....but WallE survived quite awhile I guess.

Ultimately, the very premise presented reveals how godless such thinking is and how material minded are those who presume upon universe reality by such fictitious assumptions of human "power". The secrets of life will remain so as long as God is denied as its source, upholder, giver, manager, and destiny and the relationship and circuitry of the each to the all and the all to the each and the each to one another.

I am quite impressed and fascinated by the brain's ability to operate non-body mechanical systems by interfacing with them electronically or otherwise. Some very interesting potentials in that regard which also reminds me of some of the more mechanical functionality in the universe in response to mind.

Thanks BB for sharing.

8)

PostPosted:  

Personally I find the view logically impossible simply for the fact that we haven't yet found where matter ends and mind begins.

There's a fair amount of evidence to suggest, at the very least, that the mind is not exclusively in the brain.

Like this gentleman, who functions with 75% of his brain missing entirely.

But even if it were exclusively in the brain, the brain acts in completely unpredictable ways that constantly stump scientists. We are so much more than advanced computers, only, people committed to a certain absolute ideology don't like to admit it.

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

What I don't understand is why scientists think a person's thoughts and emotions are equivalent to a person's personality. One of the most remarkable revelations in the Papers is that the personality is a level of deified reality separate from mind. They are two different things. How do you upload deified reality? Also, how do you upload unconscious thoughts?

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Rex Said ;
'' One of the most remarkable revelations in the Papers is that the personality is a level of deified reality separate from mind.''

AMEN

This To me is one of many of the Great Revelations of The UB .

That Each Personality is *Unique* ,

The Past , present n Future Each Personality is and will always BE *Unique*

How Awesome IS That eh !

And the Human brain n the mind are not the same ... thing

Personality is Not and can Not Be Duplicated ,

ITs Unique , ...

PostPosted:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q

PostPosted:  

5:0.2 (62.2) God has distributed the infinity of his eternal nature throughout the existential realities of his six absolute co-ordinates, but he may, at any time, make direct personal contact with any part or phase or kind of creation through the agency of his prepersonal fragments. And the eternal God has also reserved to himself the prerogative of bestowing personality upon the divine Creators and the living creatures of the universe of universes, while he has further reserved the prerogative of maintaining direct and parental contact with all these personal beings through the personality circuit.

PostPosted:  

(107:4.7) Can you really realize the true significance of the Adjuster's indwelling? Do you really fathom what it means to have an absolute fragment of the absolute and infinite Deity, the Universal Father, indwelling and fusing with your finite mortal natures? When mortal man fuses with an actual fragment of the existential Cause of the total cosmos, no limit can ever be placed upon the destiny of such an unprecedented and unimaginable partnership. In eternity, man will be discovering not only the infinity of the objective Deity but also the unending potentiality of the subjective fragment of this same God. Always will the Adjuster be revealing to the mortal personality the wonder of God, and never can this supernal revelation come to an end, for the Adjuster is of God and as God to mortal man.

PostPosted:  

Artificial Intelligence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TRv0cXUVQw

PostPosted:  

Hi ALL 8)

This is interesting in my opinion ,
Its aprox 28 min long but worth watching IMO ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRgXrJ-Kiig

IF I Only had a brain lol

PostPosted:  

Kate Palmer the author of the article you share writes, "They (scientists) believe that robots can store a person's thoughts and feelings because brains function in the same way as a computer." I would say "human logic functions" in the same way as a "software application". I do not agree with the statement she writes as is.

I think that the similarity has more comparison with "the angels of record", "the living records", but no similarity to Thought Adjusters. The idea resembles an odd fantasy of the records coming to life and speaking to an individual. But "the living records" of angelic record are not the person per se, but his experiences, the truth of his own doings of mind body spirit.

The danger that these scientist have in believing that they can impute their personalities to activate certain objects, such as robot, tome, family crest. It is an earthly attachment, posing too strong an attachment to their own creations, such a strong identification with the object that their supernal potentials are at risk.