Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:14 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: "sat at no man's feet"
PostPosted:  

Hi all,
Quote:
126:2.3 ... It remained always true that Jesus “sat at no man’s feet.” ...

Does anyone know what this UB passage is quoting? Presumably it is quoting something as it has quotation marks.
Thanks,
kiwi

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Googling "sat at no man's feet" in quotes produces about 4 pages of results -- anything printed after about 1930 can be disregarded. Matthew Block's work would most likely provide the best source reference for this quote.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Kiwi,
My opinion on this relates to ancient methods of teaching where the students sat around the standing teacher on the floor at the teacher's feet. This showed respect for the standing of the teacher as their superior.

Jesus is One with God The Father and is no respecter of persons. No one could teach Jesus. He was the teacher of all of his children in Nebadon.

PostPosted:  

Thanks for your responses Larry and Johnnybones,

The google search hits all seem to be UB text or derivatives. And I can't find anything on squarecircles.com by Matthew Block on Paper 126. (Which is why I posted the question.)

Any more ideas anyone?

Thanks,
kiwi

PostPosted:  

It could be a direct quote from a source but the UB also uses quotation marks to indicate idioms or expressions such as "doubting thomas" and "lull before the storm". The UB paramony points to the verse in Acts where the writer mentions having studied at the feet of Gamaliel...obviously not a direct quote there but consistent usage of the expression.
A 1912 book uses the same phrase here....i doubt that's the only example in history though lol. I think the quotation marks are just used to indicate figurative rather than literal meaning.

Last edited by Makalu on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:54 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Makalu wrote:
It could be a direct quote from a source but the UB also uses quotation marks to indicate idioms or expressions such as "doubting thomas" and "lull before the storm". The UB paramony points to the verse in Acts where the writer mentions having studied at the feet of Gamaliel...obviously not a direct quote there but consistent usage of the expression.
A 1912 book uses the same phrase here....i doubt that's the only example in history though lol. I think the quotation marks are just used to indicative figurative rather than literal meaning.

I agree. Considering the sentence before this one in TUB, it references Jesus now having a valid excuse (due to the death of Joseph) to not attend Formal Schooling in Jerusalem. The quote is a direct reference to education, and the fact that Jesus had no formal education IMO.

126:2.3 Jesus cheerfully accepted the responsibilities so suddenly thrust upon him, and he carried them faithfully to the end. At least one great problem and anticipated difficulty in his life had been tragically solved — he would not now be expected to go to Jerusalem to study under the rabbis. It remained always true that Jesus “sat at no man’s feet.” He was ever willing to learn from even the humblest of little children, but he never derived authority to teach truth from human sources.