Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:59 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: What happens at death?
PostPosted:  

I have known about the Urantia Book for over 20 years, have skimmed some sections, read others. It is a big, rather dense volume.

With that in mind, can someone tell me what the Urantia Book says happens at death? Does some part (personality, ego, soul, spirit) survive? Where does it go?

Thank you.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello BigAl,

Please to to the truthbook.com home page; there's a lot of helpful informatino available there. Type life after death into the site search window. The Life After Death magazine speaks specifically to your question as do the various videos and other topics.

Best wishes,
Larry

PostPosted:  

1372 matches on 92 pages. A lot to sift through. I was hoping someone more knowledgeably than I am could provide a simple explanation. I assume it's a lot more complicated than the traditional Christian belief of a soul being judged and then going to heaven or hell for eternity. I did see a lot of mentions of Thought Adjusters, a term I don't fully understand, in my skimming of the search results.

Off to do more research :)

-------------
Edit: Hi Larry, thanks for the guidance. I realized later that you meant the website homepage not the forum homepage.

Last edited by BigAl on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:56 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

What I could find out:
1) Yes, life continues after death
2) There is continuing evolution of the soul through continued existence on 7 worlds

According to Urantia teachings you are composed of
*physical body
*material mind
*morontial soul
*thought adjuster - the indwelling spark of God
*and there may also be personal guardians responsible for something

The physical body and material mind die. The human identity/ego/sense of self can transcend death by becoming part of the soul. This is not automatic but depends on spiritual development. The personality can be extinguished at physical death.

The soul appears to be a collection of experiences. The soul is attached to the thought adjuster and they continue on together. The soul can die if the thought adjuster is removed from it, something that is rare but does appear to happen on occasion.

Did I get the basic framework right?

Some relevant textual references (but not the only ones I looked at):
Quote:
The material self, the ego-entity of human identity, is dependent during the physical life on the continuing function of the material life vehicle, on the continued existence of the unbalanced equilibrium of energies and intellect which, on Urantia, has been given the name life. But selfhood of survival value, selfhood that can transcend the experience of death, is only evolved by establishing a potential transfer of the seat of the identity of the evolving personality from the transient life vehicle—the material body—to the more enduring and immortal nature of the morontia soul and on beyond to those levels whereon the soul becomes infused with, and eventually attains the status of, spirit reality. This actual transfer from material association to morontia identification is effected by the sincerity, persistence, and steadfastness of the God-seeking decisions of the human creature. ~ The Urantia Book, (112:2.20)

and
Quote:
Mortal death is a technique of escape from the material life in the flesh; and the mansonia experience of progressive life through seven worlds of corrective training and cultural education represents the introduction of mortal survivors to the morontia career, the transition life which intervenes between the evolutionary material existence and the higher spirit attainment of the ascenders of time who are destined to achieve the portals of eternity. ~ The Urantia Book, (47:10.7)

Last edited by BigAl on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:50 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

This sounds similar to the doctrine of reincarnation taught in Eastern religions and New Age circles. I was under the impression that the Urantia Book did not teach reincarnation.

This may be a definition issue: soul evolution through lives on earth versus soul evolution through existence on other worlds.

Nevertheless, in both cases the soul survives and has continuing experiences.

PostPosted:  

I do have a remaining question:

Where does the soul come from? Does the soul only arise as a product of the physical body and material mind having experiences or did it exist BEFORE the physical body?

PostPosted:  

Quote:
111:0.1 THE PRESENCE OF the divine Adjuster in the human mind makes it forever impossible for either science or philosophy to attain a satisfactory comprehension of the evolving soul of the human personality. The morontia soul is the child of the universe and may be really known only through cosmic insight and spiritual discovery.

That is really the best place to start, I believe. In all our investigations of the soul it is imperative that we keep that quote in mind as it establishes that the soul is not in any way the product of our corporeal and physical functioning.

Now I could give you all the other quotes pertaining to the development of the soul but I will spare you that and ask that you also keep in mind that the brain of the physical body is not synonymous with the intellectual mind. The mind is loaned to us while we have a brain and while it is subject to our will it really belongs to the universe. Se 111:1.5.

It is with and through the use of this, "our mind" that the thought adjuster makes contact and apparently it is that contact that actualizes the Morontial material that forms our souls. I refer you back to the first quote, it can only be really known through cosmic insight and spiritual discovery, and I read that as real spiritual experience.

This is an area we are all working on and which I believe we will not understand sufficiently until we arrive on Mansonia number 1.

Jim

PostPosted:  

i'll take a stab at it...

The UB teaches that when a child makes their first conscious choice between good and evil, usually around the age of 5, they are then indwelt with a preexistent Thought Adjuster and the individual soul then comes into being through a liason of the TA and the mind. The soul then is the vehicle for the continuity of selfhood, which is possibly the most important distinction to be made between the concepts of reincarnation and the morontial ascension career taught in the UB. We dont lose personality and selfhood when we take on a new morontia form and we don't have to relearn what was learned in a previous existence, anything that has value is retained. So it's a continually progressive experience instead of reincarnations' pointless and regressive cycles of birth and rebirth.

PostPosted:  

When you die…

The question of the ages, what happens when you die. If I only knew, I would tell you for sure, but since it is impossible to ever know in this short mortal existence I will tell you what I understand the UB to say…

When you die you go to sleep. Real sleep, restful sleep, sleep without consciousness. You sleep and sleep. How long do you sleep? That depends. It depends on if you were able to achieve a level of spirituality in your life where you are a candidate to move on to the next level more or less directly, or not. But either way, you sleep.

At some time in the future you will wake up. Most likely you will waken with millions of other “sleeping survivors” at the end of a planetary dispensation, surrounded by your family and friends, so it should be a pretty amazing thing. Never again will you have to fear death, or cessation of existence: mortality is a one shot deal, as long as you make it thru this existence you are pretty much good to go.

But what (or who) exactly wakes up??? Well, from my meager understanding, your personality wakes up, reunited with that small spark which God gave to you to share during this life in the flesh. But your material mind, you know, the one which gasses over fast cars, hot chicks and good food: it is gone forever, replaced with a new mind, a mind more suited to your new life at in your new plane of existence.

So if your mind is gone, then what are you? I say, you are still YOU. Your personality is intact, you still have that small still voice saying “this is the way” inside of you. But obviously a lot is now different too.

Because on the next level you operate on a slightly different plane of existence. The Authors are pretty good about not creating new words, but they did create one here (I think). The next plane, rather than being “physical” is “morantial” (new word). It is a realm partially in the spirit, and still partially rooted in the physical, a quasi spiritual existence preparing you for the next step after that.

So what will you do? Apparently not sit around on a cloud, playing a harp all day while the Big Guy sits on his throne looking ticked off and counting flaws against the poor saps still inhabiting this sorry world. Rather, you pick up, exactly where you left off (spiritually) and continue on with your personal spiritual evolution towards perfection.

And there is a lot of help at the next level. Apparently we are not the only planet grossly deficient in spiritual progress. There are actual WORLDS dedicated to helping us make up for the lost ground where we may have been if this had not been one of the most messed up worlds in the universe. So we keep moving, we keep learning, we keep growing.

And after that?

It’s on to the next level.

Did that help?

PostPosted:  

Yes, that was helpful. Thanks.

PostPosted:  

3. The First Mansion World

(532.7) 47:3.1 On the mansion worlds the resurrected mortal survivors resume their lives just where they left off when overtaken by death. When you go from Urantia to the first mansion world, you will notice considerable change, but if you had come from a more normal and progressive sphere of time, you would hardly notice the difference except for the fact that you were in possession of a different body; the tabernacle of flesh and blood has been left behind on the world of nativity.

(532.8) 47:3.2 The very center of all activities on the first mansion world is the resurrection hall, the enormous temple of personality assembly. This gigantic structure consists of the central rendezvous of the seraphic destiny guardians, the Thought Adjusters, and the archangels of the resurrection. The Life Carriers also function with these celestial beings in the resurrection of the dead.

(533.1) 47:3.3 The mortal-mind transcripts and the active creature-memory patterns as transformed from the material levels to the spiritual are the individual possession of the detached Thought Adjusters; these spiritized factors of mind, memory, and creature personality are forever a part of such Adjusters. The creature mind-matrix and the passive potentials of identity are present in the morontia soul intrusted to the keeping of the seraphic destiny guardians. And it is the reuniting of the morontia-soul trust of the seraphim and the spirit-mind trust of the Adjuster that reassembles creature personality and constitutes resurrection of a sleeping survivor.

(533.2) 47:3.4 If a transitory personality of mortal origin should never be thus reassembled, the spirit elements of the nonsurviving mortal creature would forever continue as an integral part of the individual experiential endowment of the onetime indwelling Adjuster.

(533.3) 47:3.5 From the Temple of New Life there extend seven radial wings, the resurrection halls of the mortal races. Each of these structures is devoted to the assembly of one of the seven races of time. There are one hundred thousand personal resurrection chambers in each of these seven wings terminating in the circular class assembly halls, which serve as the awakening chambers for as many as one million individuals. These halls are surrounded by the personality assembly chambers of the blended races of the normal post-Adamic worlds. Regardless of the technique which may be employed on the individual worlds of time in connection with special or dispensational resurrections, the real and conscious reassembly of actual and complete personality takes place in the resurrection halls of mansonia number one. Throughout all eternity you will recall the profound memory impressions of your first witnessing of these resurrection mornings.

(533.4) 47:3.6 From the resurrection halls you proceed to the Melchizedek sector, where you are assigned permanent residence. Then you enter upon ten days of personal liberty. You are free to explore the immediate vicinity of your new home and to familiarize yourself with the program which lies immediately ahead. You also have time to gratify your desire to consult the registry and call upon your loved ones and other earth friends who may have preceded you to these worlds. At the end of your ten-day period of leisure you begin the second step in the Paradise journey, for the mansion worlds are actual training spheres, not merely detention planets.

(533.5) 47:3.7 On mansion world number one (or another in case of advanced status) you will resume your intellectual training and spiritual development at the exact level whereon they were interrupted by death. Between the time of planetary death or translation and resurrection on the mansion world, mortal man gains absolutely nothing aside from experiencing the fact of survival. You begin over there right where you leave off down here.

(533.6) 47:3.8 Almost the entire experience of mansion world number one pertains to deficiency ministry. Survivors arriving on this first of the detention spheres present so many and such varied defects of creature character and deficiencies of mortal experience that the major activities of the realm are occupied with the correction and cure of these manifold legacies of the life in the flesh on the material evolutionary worlds of time and space.

(534.1) 47:3.9 The sojourn on mansion world number one is designed to develop mortal survivors at least up to the status of the post-Adamic dispensation on the normal evolutionary worlds. Spiritually, of course, the mansion world students are far in advance of such a state of mere human development.

(534.2) 47:3.10 If you are not to be detained on mansion world number one, at the end of ten days you will enter the translation sleep and proceed to world number two, and every ten days thereafter you will thus advance until you arrive on the world of your assignment.

(534.3) 47:3.11 The center of the seven major circles of the first mansion world administration is occupied by the temple of the Morontia Companions, the personal guides assigned to ascending mortals. These companions are the offspring of the local universe Mother Spirit, and there are several million of them on the morontia worlds of Satania. Aside from those assigned as group companions, you will have much to do with the interpreters and translators, the building custodians, and the excursion supervisors. And all of these companions are most co-operative with those who have to do with developing your personality factors of mind and spirit within the morontia body.

(534.4) 47:3.12 As you start out on the first mansion world, one Morontia Companion is assigned to each company of one thousand ascending mortals, but you will encounter larger numbers as you progress through the seven mansion spheres. These beautiful and versatile beings are companionable associates and charming guides. They are free to accompany individuals or selected groups to any of the transition-culture spheres, including their satellite worlds. They are the excursion guides and leisure associates of all ascending mortals. They often accompany survivor groups on periodic visits to Jerusem, and on any day you are there, you can go to the registry sector of the system capital and meet ascending mortals from all seven of the mansion worlds since they freely journey back and forth between their residential abodes and the system headquarters.