Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 7:32 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: rosary
PostPosted:  

the word rosary made the book. there is nothing more silly than this form praying but it's the best some can do and we all have to fill our 24 hours with something. as long as i'm out and about i consider myself available to be of service and at least i'm trying and being somewhere. i hate sitting around at home, thank god for that much. jesus came and gave me life more abundantly, it's true. without tub i never would have been able to get out much. right now they have science week in philly so i'll wander around to some of those events for example.

94:10.2 These simple-minded Tibetans would not wholly give up their ancient magic and charms. Examination of the religious ceremonials of present-day Tibetan rituals reveals an overgrown brotherhood of priests with shaven heads who practice an elaborate ritual embracing bells, chants, incense, processionals, rosaries, images, charms, pictures, holy water, gorgeous vestments, and elaborate choirs. They have rigid dogmas and crystallized creeds, mystic rites and special fasts. Their hierarchy embraces monks, nuns, abbots, and the Grand Lama. They pray to angels, saints, a Holy Mother, and the gods. They practice confessions and believe in purgatory. Their monasteries are extensive and their cathedrals magnificent. They keep up an endless repetition of sacred rituals and believe that such ceremonials bestow salvation. Prayers are fastened to a wheel, and with its turning they believe the petitions become efficacious. Among no other people of modern times can be found the observance of so much from so many religions; and it is inevitable that such a cumulative liturgy would become inordinately cumbersome and intolerably burdensome.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: rosary
PostPosted:  

Quote:
These simple-minded Tibetans would not wholly give up their ancient magic and charms.

The revelators call the Tibetans simple-minded. This is a point to be noted.

In reality, it is the simple minded folks world over who follow such practices and are finding difficulty in giving up this kind of religious practices.

They are simple and devoted to the deity. But are filled with such fears that prevent them from using their God-given intelligence and wisdom to search for higher truths.

Here comes the logic for biological upgradation with the infusion of the Adamic blood which is a normal plan of God for all material worlds.

On earth, that mission did not go well as planned.

So, earth has a lower percentage of people at present who can understand higher truths.

How can you teach vector algebra to those who are in kindergarten levels ?

PostPosted:  

Quote:
How can you teach vector algebra to those who are in kindergarten levels ?

If you shine bright with the spirit of truth, they will seek what you have found. If you love them as yourself, they will buy in.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

http://www.facebook.com/groups/theurantiabook/

so many people aren't interested in tub. i just want to get to the place where i have enough spiritual appropriation of all truth contributory to the enhancement of my ever-progressing reality of personal religious experience — God-consciousness.

0:12.13 We are fully cognizant of the difficulties of our assignment; we recognize the impossibility of fully translating the language of the concepts of divinity and eternity into the symbols of the language of the finite concepts of the mortal mind. But we know that there dwells within the human mind a fragment of God, and that there sojourns with the human soul the Spirit of Truth; and we further know that these spirit forces conspire to enable material man to grasp the reality of spiritual values and to comprehend the philosophy of universe meanings. But even more certainly we know that these spirits of the Divine Presence are able to assist man in the spiritual appropriation of all truth contributory to the enhancement of the ever-progressing reality of personal religious experience — God-consciousness.

boomshuka wrote:
If you shine bright with the spirit of truth, they will seek what you have found. If you love them as yourself, they will buy in.

PostPosted:  

I wasn't going to respond to your opening sentence, Rich, but while passing through here again today and catching up on who's talking about what, I again ran into that sentence and decided that yes, I would respond.

"The word rosary made the book. There is nothing more silly than this form praying but it's the best some can do and we all have to fill our 24 hours with something."

I found that statement not only arrogant but simply not true. I admit that there is no love lost between the Catholic church and myself; I figure they breathed a sigh of relief when I left. Today I have little use for organized religion as a whole but, all within that religion, and all within the other religions, is not silly nor done just to pass time.
Saying the rosary by rote is fairly common and non-productive except...it does quiet the racing mind. And it can be beautifully unifying when said in a group. But mainly, reciting the rosary while meditating on Jesus can open pathways within one's spirit that were otherwise dormant.

I have run the gambit on religions, no religion, God, no god, and then topping it off by immersing myself within a religious community for almost a decade. When I left the convent I shook off all remnants of "religion". After licking my wounds for a few years, and after being gifted with the UB, I've come to appreciate the positives within that particular religion that help promote a sense of purpose and unity for the people that operate within those parameters. The more people I meet the more positives I see in other religions. Do I want to join? Nope. But, it's all scaffolding in some way or another.
This world is barbaric. I cannot imagine the increased horrors if we didn't have some rituals that helped sooth our spirits from time to time.

Sometimes I'm very disappointed in our attitude toward others who have not read and felt the joy from the UB. We are to live the truth and not put someone down who believes otherwise. At least, that's my opinion...for whatever it's worth.

Peace to all
Jo

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)

PostPosted:  

Jo, you beat me to it...yes, this assumption that the rosary is silly caught my attention, too.

Like you, I am a "lapsed" Catholic - more like exhausted...but I agree with you that any kind of prayer is valuable. And if said the way I was taught, you do concentrate on one of the "mysteries" while you pray it, and those are all about Jesus. The Hail Mary, the Our Father, the Glory Be...these become like mantras to focus the attention. And it's funny that a lot of those Tibetan practices are so like Catholicism..holy cards, saints, bells and chants...etc...

So be careful, rich, when you characterise someone's religious practice as "silly"...maybe to you, but not fair to others who cherish them...

Happy Sunday one and all...

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Jo, you beat me to it...yes, this assumption that the rosary is silly caught my attention, too.

Like you, I am a "lapsed" Catholic - more like exhausted...but I agree with you that any kind of prayer is valuable. And if said the way I was taught, you do concentrate on one of the "mysteries" while you pray it, and those are all about Jesus. The Hail Mary, the Our Father, the Glory Be...these become like mantras to focus the attention. And it's funny that a lot of those Tibetan practices are so like Catholicism..holy cards, saints, bells and chants...etc...

So be careful, rich, when you characterise someone's religious practice as "silly"...maybe to you, but not fair to others who cherish them...

Happy Sunday one and all...

MaryJo

Well said. Thanks.
It may be the old "Beam in your own eye . . ." lesson.

Curious - - I find sometimes even when you're right, it's still not right to say something.
Like my daughter is totally opposed to animal torture and condemns bull fights in Mexico.
But that doesn't make it right to criticize a bull fighter in front of his family, calling his
actions evil and barbaric. There are children in that scene who look up to this man
even if he is abusing animals, and to vilify him in front of his admirers just doesn't seem right.

PostPosted:  

Unclevinnys wrote:
Quote:
Curious - - I find sometimes even when you're right, it's still not right to say something.
Like my daughter is totally opposed to animal torture and condemns bull fights in Mexico.
But that doesn't make it right to criticize a bull fighter in front of his family, calling his
actions evil and barbaric. There are children in that scene who look up to this man
even if he is abusing animals, and to vilify him in front of his admirers just doesn't seem right.

Yea, you are right but it could just be a matter of being tactful.

PostPosted:  

rosaries may indeed seem like a simple-minded form of prayer and worship, but there are many metaphorical relationships to its use that are of particular value:

- the beads of the rosary are like stepping stones and the progress of individual prayers is roughly comparable to the progress of the soul through the ascencion worlds.
- repetitions in the rosary are decidedly seen as necessary for the habit of prayerfulness. the example of the woman who said "If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed," was an example that Jesus showed as exhibiting saving faith, even though it was her faith rather than her magical logic that saved her.
- most people who pray the rosary will "drift off" and experience worshipful communion (rather than simply focus on the words of the prayer always). I cannot explain it, but having the rosary beads "in hand" through the oscillation of superconscious communion and subconscious day-dreaming is very important.

PostPosted:  

The rosary is a tool that helps the body and mind calm allowing real prayer to take place through a meditative state. If you make it a simple minded tool it will be that or you can use it to help your prayer experience. Some people don't need a tool to focus they can sit down and immediately connect, but others need a way to quiet themselves and focus.

PostPosted:  

deleted