Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:18 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

no religion.
I was raised Catholic. Did not believe it, forgot about religion for a very long time. Came upon the Utantia book, at a late age, and this seemed to me to be the most believable of every little story I had been told. But then I went back to what I always thought. It does not matter what you beleve, if you live your life as a good perons, and most of us know right from wrong, then how, in any religion can you be punished in the after life? I have always thought that it really does not matter what you believed or did not beleive, if you were a good person, how could you be punished. As a Catholic, I was always told that you "HAD" to believe in the bible, or you would go to hell, well I do not think GOD would create a Hell, he is too good. The only Hell I can can imagine is in your mind. I am of the mind that believe whatever you want, in the end all that matters is that you were a good person who acknowledged that there is a Supreme Being, who ever that may be.
Debbie

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for sharing these thoughts with us! You are close to the truth in many respects. I will take it that you have not been able to read the UB all the way through yet, but as you do it will plainly answer these questions for you.

Actually being a good person as you say does have to do with what and how you believe. How can you be a good person if you do not think about being a good person, doing good, performing right instead of wrong? God is able to judge us justly because He is inside us in the beings of our bestowed Thought Adjusters. So He knows our real intents and purposes this way. The UB states that is does not matter so much what we do, it is how we think and what we believe that is important. So God, being inside us, knows these things firsthand. And it is impossible to hide these thoughts or beliefs. God will know how we really are all throughout life in this way. So again, in this way, we will all truly "get what we deserve." God is fully aware of all of our circumstances in life. He is not "the great punisher in the sky" who is writing down all of our faults and mistakes. We are His beloved children and desires that each and every one of us will choose to try and do His will....which is easier than it sounds. Again the UB explains this all in great detail. Just keep reading!

The existing institutional religions are making so many errors of dogma and theology, as you correctly reason, in these regards because they are working with faulty information. The presentation of The Urantia Book is one avenue of information repair that the Sons of God in this area of space are utilizing to correct the errors of the past resulting from disasterous Lucifer Rebellion. Again....all explained in the book.

Thanks and take care sister!

Vann

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Debbie your anxiety will be relieved when you read the truth of personal religion (as opposed to Organized Religions) in TUB and you find that it resonates with something inside of you that tells you it makes sense . Trust your intuition. Your trepidation of the Hell Concepts of fossilized religions and religious ideas is well founded. Our God is a living God and will reveal Himself to us in generation after generation according to our capacity to KNOW HIM. You are primed to know God in a fuller way than you ever have before. Follow your desire to find and know God and His Truths until that desire is satisfied within the deepest and most profound existence of your being.

Vann has given you good advice in suggesting continued reading of the Book. I would suggest you look for those things in the list of contents that most interest you and start by reading those. Perhaps you have already done that.

Here's a little excerpt about YOUR personal religion. See what you think. :smile:

P.1629 - §5 "You well know that, while a kindhearted father loves his family as a whole, he so regards them as a group because of his strong affection for each individual member of that family. No longer must you approach the Father in heaven as a child of Israel but as a child of God. As a group, you are indeed the children of Israel, but as individuals, each one of you is a child of God. I have come, not to reveal the Father to the children of Israel, but rather to bring this knowledge of God and the revelation of his love and mercy to the individual believer as a genuine personal experience. The prophets have all taught you that Yahweh cares for his people, that God loves Israel. But I have come among you to proclaim a greater truth, one which many of the later prophets also grasped, that God loves you--every one of you--as individuals. All these generations have you had a national or racial religion; now have I come to give you a personal religion. Paper 145 2:5

How can a God that Loves us that much torment us eternally? :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

HI DEB!
(Is it OK to call you Deb???)
WOW! I too am concerned with what happens to people who have “no religion”. However, I guess it is all how you define the statement “no religion”. If one defines this statement as a philosophy which purposefully rejects God, embraces evil and relishes sin (you know, the Charlie Manson type), than basically that person is S.O.L… finished. BUT, if you define having “no religion” as not belonging to a church, being a person just floating about on the currents of life, and making no real survival decisions one way of the other; then it’s really no worries, see you on the other side. Because really, that’s kind of where we all are, to some extent. I mean, you find a church, or a Buddha, or a Mullah, or the Urantia Book, and then you are on your way. But even finding the Urantia Book, which, in my humble opinion, is the Best head start you can get, you still end up (in most cases at least) just a little ahead of the rest of humanity. Even under the best of circumstances, the distance a mortal can travel spiritually in one lifetime is INSIGIFICANT compared to the eternity of perfection attainment stretching beyond the borders of this wild and crazy world. So worry not, my friend. If there is someone close to you who is not comfortable with starting the journey now, they will, in eternity, be just behind you. And you can wait up for them if you want to.
O:)
Religion is no more and no less than the personal communion between you and God. Going to church is more of a social affair, which celebrates the wonderful participation of the INDIVIDUAL. And deep down inside, most, if not all of us survivor types communicate with God. A lot of people might not admit it, but you know that they say, there are no atheists in a foxhole! Tribulation invariably brings out the religionist in all of us. So bottom line: As long as a person does not REJECT God, he/she is going to have another shot in making the decision to survive forever.

At least that's my opinion!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Charles Manson may have a "flicker" within himself that he isn't even aware of. Once his diseased mind is adjusted on the next level, that may very well come to the forefront. Who knows?

I do believe that each individual will be given every single chance that is needed, and/or is possible.

Peace
Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

jak wrote:
Charles Manson may have a "flicker" within himself that he isn't even aware of. Once his diseased mind is adjusted on the next level, that may very well come to the forefront. Who knows?

I do believe that each individual will be given every single chance that is needed, and/or is possible.

Peace
Jo

Me too! I believe that too. :smile:

Resurrected Mortals

On the mansion worlds the resurrected mortal survivors resume their lives just where they left off when overtaken by death.

The Urantia Book Page 532 (47:3.7)

John 14:2
In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.
American Standard Bible

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

God created imperfect mortals specifically because of their potential to grow. He shares in all our joys as we achieve, but also in our sorrows when we fail. He created us, his progeny, with free will, so that our growth would not be artificial. When we make flawed choices, we learn from the experiences. This was not designed to be a punitive system. We are not punished for poor choices, but rather is it a logical system that leads toward making better and better choices over time. It is only when the student chooses to make choices that lead away from God, does he/she run the risk of being lost. This, is not a casual consequence. With all of our divine connections, constantly whispering to us, we need purposely to ignore our spiritual leadings, and actively work against God’s will, to slip into oblivion.

What about some of the great social monsters of history? Are they all doomed to extinction? We do not know, only God knows the heart and true intent of his children. And, while we all can agree on the pain and even terror suffered because of the Hitler’s and Stalin’s, they also created opportunities for great, even heroic actions, causing us all to reach deeper, offer more than we knew we had to give. Good always overcomes evil in the long run.

The opportunities to grow, that ultimately matters. Life is the canvas on which we paint, often with our blood, demonstrating who we really are, and what we really believe in; Even what we will die for.

My personal opinion is that very few, especially from this troubled planet, will meet with extinction. We just do not have enough information to make eternal decisions yet. Father wants us all to survive, and cherishes even the tiniest spark of goodness in us.

IMperfection... the REAL Gift.

PostPosted:  

The post to my question reinforced my belief that TUB is the right track. Instead of a post telling me I must believe this or that, I got post that told me what I already felt; My interest in TUB is not to "secure" me a place in "heaven", but to satisfy an interest I have had my whole life in knowing the truth. As I have said before, I was raised Catholic, but I was never really a Catholic. I think of myself as an agnostic, is that a sin? I believe in a "Supreme Being", but the conventional religions have so many rules you must follow that it all seemed the wrong track. I have not managed to read TUB yet, I just fell so much better knowing that what I felt in my heart all thru the years WAS the truth. My husband thinks I am completely insane to believe TUB, he thinks I'm gallible (misspelled), so to sit in my livingroom and read it is not an option. I have had a couple of discussion with him about the book, but I will not have another one. He is OK without it, he is a good man and he does not need to believe or not believe anthing. Thank you all for your post.
Debbie

Post subject: to believe or not...
PostPosted:  

Hi Debbie:
Thanks for posting and saying some things out loud that need to be said. I chose my moniker because of similar feelings. I think belief is a superficial thing... something that sits on the surface of the mind and barely touches the soul, and therefore of only minor import. If the God of the Urantia Book is real (and while I cannot quite get myself to BELIEVE it... I do HOPE) then He knows you for who you REALLY are... behind every thing you think you believe and what you think of yourself there is the real you, and it's that YOU that God loves. Inhabiting eternity, He sees the entire span of all time as a single instant... so that to God, you are ALREADY everything that (in time) you will EVER be!!! How could he NOT love you?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Debbie and Thomas thank you for you're candid and honest posts.

I had an excellent post going and I accidently hit the ESC key on the keyboard "twice"! So I couldn't recover the lost text with the Control "Z" combination. It has to be the very next keystroke after you've lost the post you we're composing.

I apologize. I know I can't express it as well or the same way again, But I have to say something because I'm moved by your posts.

It was about God's Love. It was about the liberation of Love rather than the "guilt" and "embarrassment" of punishment. It was about the change that truth recognized in yours and Debbie's heart is liberating us from the archaic concepts of Hell and eternal damnation that were used to keep us in line.

Now knowing God's love we don't want to sin because we KNOW HIS LOVE in our hearts. So we don't avoid Sin (error) because of the threat of burning in Hell. We avoid it because God's Love of us EVEN AS SINNERS forgives us. We are redeemed in His Love. There is no Hell, Fire and Brimstone as was taught in the past. We are freed from these negative concepts. We are freed by God's Love.

As you imply Thomas His LOVE is inconsistent with the teachings of Hell. How could a God who loves us so much subject us to such horrifying eternal torture? There's no way.

So then how does our eternal survival work? How do we lose our chance at eternity? And what happens to us when we do lose Eternal Life? We know in our hearts we are certainly NOT CONDEMNED BY GOD! So how can we lose, give-up or forfeit our eternal life?

I found that question again being one of those reoccurring ones. So earlier this year as a result of discussions here and on another site. I started compiling TUB answers to these questions. And I looked for biblical counterparts. Here's questions and answers I complied concerning our Eternal Survival. Let me know what you think.

Eternal Survival
HERE

Thank You both! And May God's Blessings continue to be showered upon you and ALL here in our experience here on Earth (Urantia) O:)

PostPosted:  

i was raised catholic too. tub is the most believable book i've ever read also, especially with the bible being something i don't like. i agree with you for the immature mortals of this agondonter sphere with no spiritual heads all you have to do is be a fairly good person and you're guaranteed to be resurrected on the mansion worlds. fundamentalist christians believing in hell and jesus must be accepted or you'll go to hell are wrong. 95:6.6 The Jewish traditions of heaven and hell and the doctrine of devils as recorded in the Hebrew scriptures, while founded on the lingering traditions of Lucifer and Caligastia, were principally derived from the Zoroastrians during the times when the Jews were under the political and cultural dominance of the Persians. Zoroaster, like the Egyptians, taught the “day of judgment,” but he connected this event with the end of the world.

just a fallacy like so many human beliefs.

dkr315d wrote:
no religion.
I was raised Catholic. Did not believe it, forgot about religion for a very long time. Came upon the Utantia book, at a late age, and this seemed to me to be the most believable of every little story I had been told. But then I went back to what I always thought. It does not matter what you beleve, if you live your life as a good perons, and most of us know right from wrong, then how, in any religion can you be punished in the after life? I have always thought that it really does not matter what you believed or did not beleive, if you were a good person, how could you be punished. As a Catholic, I was always told that you "HAD" to believe in the bible, or you would go to hell, well I do not think GOD would create a Hell, he is too good. The only Hell I can can imagine is in your mind. I am of the mind that believe whatever you want, in the end all that matters is that you were a good person who acknowledged that there is a Supreme Being, who ever that may be.
Debbie

PostPosted:  

Rich. I just wonder, why don't you use capitals to start a sentence in your writings?

Post subject: Re: to believe or not...
PostPosted:  

Thomas Didymus wrote:
If the God of the Urantia Book is real (and while I cannot quite get myself to BELIEVE it... I do HOPE) then He knows you for who you REALLY are... behind every thing you think you believe and what you think of yourself there is the real you, and it's that YOU that God loves. Inhabiting eternity, He sees the entire span of all time as a single instant... so that to God, you are ALREADY everything that (in time) you will EVER be!!! How could he NOT love you?

I've never thought of it from this angle, but this is one of the best ways to describe the reasons why God loves us!

PostPosted:  

rich.sachs wrote:
all you have to do is be a fairly good person and you're guaranteed to be resurrected on the mansion worlds.

Actually, you don't even have to do that. All you need to do is let your Mystery Monitor guide you. Deciding to follow its guidance is the survival decision. It just gets deeper as time goes on, and when it is deep enough, you will get fused with your Mystery Monitor.

PostPosted:  

Imo God may see all of eternity but in this moment we are not beings of eternity he imo see's us as his children of time and space. No doubt though that he can forecast our eternal destiny's with unimaginable precision.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing