Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 5:41 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Dear all,

Many of us who are readers of the Urantia Book are convinced about the super human authorship of the FER.

What are your personal points of conviction in favour of this?

Does this re-affirmation make any difference to us ?

I am eager to know.

Love.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Rajan C Mathew wrote:
Dear all,

Many of us who are readers of the Urantia Book are convinced about the super human authorship of the FER.

What are your personal points of conviction in favour of this?

I am eager to know.

Love.

This is a question that I think about a lot, and I am unable to come to any firm conclusion. But since you asked, I'll mention some considerations in favor of superhuman authorship.

1. Large portions of the UB, especially (in my opinion) Parts I and II, read like nothing I've read before. They convey an impression of being beyond what mortal humans could write. Personally, I regard this as a purely subjective response to the UB, and therefore of little or no evidential value. That is, it's not a good reason to believe in superhuman authorship, but it is psychologically a strong motivator.

2. Assuming that Dr. Sadler and Bill Sadler were not liars, the manner in which the papers came to be written appears to have been beyond the possibility of any normal explanation. That's a large assumption, of course, but the assumption that they were liars leads to its own set of difficulties.

3. The UB is, on the whole, very consistent with contemporary science, and in a few instances anticipates discoveries that weren't made until after it was published. I don't think it's an easy thing to write a book whose factual content will still look pretty good 70 years later.

PostPosted:  

Well I found the book from a dream, that was pretty convincing to start off with.

I found that the U.B give's you an initial set of assumption's and when you replace old innitial set assumption's with the u.b's everything start's to make sense and you can answer question's that you didn't think were possible to answer. Also some of the innitial set of assumption's the U.B give's makes some phenemon that we thought was incredibly difficult to comprehend trivially obvious to understand.

For someone in the 1920's/1930's to know so much of the universe and the physical system's and geology, physic's etc etc is just mind boggling. Infact for someone to know so much know would be mind boggling, than to be able to unifty all those different concept's into one cosmic picture would just be beyond amazing.

Just looking to the future, just take the fact that they so authoratively and with confidence say thing's like the Garden of eden is submereged on the eastern med floor and one of the river's is exactly 27 miles wide I believe that is the dimension they give... and than dalamantia being located in the persian gulf...Clearly the smart being behind the paper knew someone is eventually going to go down there and find out if that's true or not, but the confidence with which they give those fact's just proves who is writing the book. If a human were writing the book he would just say something like "and eden is now submereged in the Med", they wouldn't give the exact location in fear of that one fact completely ruining their entire body of work. There are so many time's the u.b says some amazing physical fact that you could see if a human was writing the book he would leave that out by the small chance it is proven wrong and ruin's his entire "revelation".

If it was a human writing the revelation he would not go out of his way to make it so easy to defraud himself by giving such detailed measurment's. Things like the temperature of the sun and the temperature of the core of the son. There is no way someone would dare venture a guess of those number's in fear of being wrong and ruining all the material. Than there is the velocity at which larger telescope's will view the universe flying apart.....There is no way a human would be so specific if he were to guess the velocity at which larger telescope's view the universe.

A human wouldn't give the number of element's at which remain stable in the quitest part of the universe. "100" I believe was the number. I think there are something like 86 on earth that remain stable, so such a fact would Immediately draw negative light on his book in the 1930's, he would have avoided that entire statement.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

boomshuka wrote:
There are so many time's the u.b says some amazing physical fact that you could see if a human was writing the book he would leave that out by the small chance it is proven wrong and ruin's his entire "revelation".

Yes, I agree. The UB takes risks by stating details that a human, creating a fraudulent work, would omit. In fact, the "age of life" issue is a good example. In the 1930s there was no settled opinion in the scientific community about this. When I researched the matter, I found all kinds of guesses in various sources. The UB could easily have made a vague statement about this, that would have been immune to falsification.

PostPosted:  

Rajan C Mathew wrote:

I didn't comment on this question before, but it's important.

Personally, I think it makes all the difference.

If the UB is not authored by superhumans, then it is the product of human imagination. I see no other possibility. As a product of human imagination, it may be moving, insightful, and profound, but it has no further claim upon our convictions and our sense of who we are and what we're all about.

In order to be convinced that the UB not only deserves to be true, but actually is true, I need to know that those who wrote it were in a position to know the truth of what they were writing. No mortal is in such a position.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
If human authors were involved, an enormous amount of time and effort would have been required for the research to accumulate the scientific, historical, and archaeological data presented in the book. It would appear to have been impossible for members of the postulated authors' families, or associates of those authors, not to have been aware of their participation.
http://www.urantology.org/urantia03.htm

PostPosted:  

Yoder777!

Thanks for bringing in that link leading to the urantology site. Those behind this site have been doing a great service by bringing in all that research and analysis in the public domain, to prove our point of conviction.

I was curious to explore the history of scientific developments during the 1920-1955 period and its inclusion in the Urantia Book by our super-human revelators. Because, it is an awesome and a humanly impossible task of knitting all those scientific information effortlessly and authoritatively into a massive book at a time when information flow was slow and limited.

Eminent persons have already analysed all these. Reading these reinforces our conviction - that we are not in the wrong direction and belief ! Have a look at this:

http://www.urantology.org/cosmology03.htm

For me, the conviction of the UB's superhuman authorship is extremely important. That has reinforced my belief in God irrevocably.
That conviction further makes me believe in the detailed revelatory information contained in the UB fully. And that understanding has been making my life here on earth much more meaningful and pleasant, even when unpleasant things keep happening all around.

Thanks to boomshuka et al for bringing in their points.

God Bless!

PostPosted:  

This is such a relevant topic.

Personally I believe in the SuperHuman authorship of TUB.

But, even more important is the effects on the people who read and integrate it's teachings in their lives.

We develop fruits of the spirit, and we also experience truth, beauty and goodness.

The tree is judged by it's fruit.

TUB is the best book I have ever read.

It stands on it's own.

PostPosted:  

Even though I believe the Urantia Book may be divinely inspired, I don't rule out that the finished product may have been altered by man somewhere in the process. When God reveals truth, he does so through humans with their limitations and imperfections.

PostPosted:  

HI Yoder 8)

Your Free to Believe what you wish ,
And to your own Opinions , and to accept or reject
the Urantia Book .

You Said
''Even though I believe the Urantia Book may be divinely inspired, I don't rule out that the finished product may have been altered by man somewhere in the process. When God reveals truth, he does so through humans with their limitations and imperfections.''

The UB IS NOT '' divinely inspired''

ITs A Revealed Revelation of TRUTHS .

IT IS WHAT IT IS :!:

'' I don't rule out that the finished product may have been altered by man somewhere in the process.''

Question ;?
WHY And For What Reason ?
Would it be
''that the finished product may have been altered by man somewhere in the process.''?

IF IT Aint Broke , then WHY TRY TO FIX IT :?:

If You Have a Cadillac , Why Add VW Parts to IT ?

Im Just Curious as to How Many Times You
Have Read The UPapers ?

P.1459 - §4 Revealed truth, personally discovered truth, is the supreme delight of the human soul; it is the joint creation of the material mind and the indwelling spirit. The eternal salvation of this truth-discerning and beauty-loving soul is assured by that hunger and thirst for goodness which leads this mortal to develop a singleness of purpose to do the Father's will, to find God and to become like him. There is never conflict between true knowledge and truth. There may be conflict between knowledge and human beliefs, beliefs colored with prejudice, distorted by fear, and dominated by the dread of facing new facts of material discovery or spiritual progress.

PostPosted:  

coop wrote:
HI Yoder 8)

Your Free to Believe what you wish ,
And to your own Opinions , and to accept or reject
the Urantia Book .

I accept the Urantia Book as a guide to the Truth, not as the Truth in and of itself.

PostPosted:  

yeah I'm in the you can tell a tree by it's fruit camp on this one and emphasize that intellectual assent to divine authorship (belief in) doesn't yield the same fruits as faith and trust.

And I don't believe the communication and translation involving the sleeping subject was perfect...but was found perfectly acceptable to convey the meanings and values the task demanded.

I did find the writing unique the way concepts are built top-down often contrary to human nature...and on a personal note like a lot of other people the book almost seemed to find me rather than me finding the book. I should have seen it on a couple of small library shelves I frequented for years...the check out record cards in them showed this...but I found it about a week after the Holy Spirit knew I was ready for it instead. :)

PostPosted:  

This is interesting...

Quote:
Criticism: In my opinion The Urantia Book is a fraud -- a hoax. Those who perpetrated this book are criminals.

Anyone who would call the Urantia Papers a fraud does not know much about the people who were concerned with the factualization of this unique book. My wife and I had considerable experience with the exposure of mediumistic frauds and psychic humbugs during our earlier years, and some forty years ago I wrote a book depicting our experiences in dealing with these practitioners of the occult.

There was nothing questionable, much less fraudulent, connected with the origin of The Urantia Book. At the first glimpse of such, my associates and I would have forsaken the whole affair. We never detected anything fraudulent in the phenomena spread out over twenty-five years. True, we encountered much we could not explain, cannot explain even today. But there was no deception or other questionable practices.

Neither did the Forum -- more than one hundred and fifty persons who supplied the questions which brought forth the Urantia Papers -- ever detect any evidences of fraud.

No one has ever found a contradiction in The Urantia Book, a book of more than one million words. If your story is fictitious, you just can't go on the witness stand for more than twenty-five years to be examined and cross-examined by more than one hundred and fifty people, and never make a single slip-up. To pass such a test you have to be telling the truth.

It is now more than three years since the book was published; several thousand copies have been distributed which have been read by more thousands of people, and yet no one has discovered a contradiction; not even the severest critic has brought forth such an accusation.

When my son came home on furlough from the Marine Corps to read the Urantia Papers, the first question he asked me was: "Dad, is there any one making money out of this thing?" I answered: "No Son, but there are a number of us who are putting money into it." By the time the book was published we had, in time and money, put in over one hundred thousand dollars. Except for professional proof reading, no one was paid one cent during all the years of the production and publication of The Urantia Book.

But the cry of fraud is an old one. They charged Jesus with being a fraud -- "Are you not Jesus of Nazareth, the carpenter' s son?" And they went on to charge that he was in league with devils. Said one minister critic of The Urantia Book: "It unfolds the melodramatic shotgun wedding of secondhand neoplatonized Gnosticism and slipshod Protestant rationalism to sanctified science-fiction and sheer praise foolishness. The illegitimate child offspring of this union is called Urantia. There is no place for it in the house of the Lord."
http://urantiabook.org/archive/history/sadcrit.htm#17

PostPosted:  

Hello Yoder777,

Once again I thank you for bringing in this link here for all to see:

http://urantiabook.org/archive/history/sadcrit.htm#17

Dr Sadler had answered the criticisms in the most appropriate manner half-a-century ago, and its a refreshing thing to read those even today !

I recommend all brothers and sisters who have not read it yet to have a look by clicking the link above.

God Bless !

PostPosted:  

I personally believe that Dr. Sadler encountered a man who spoke spiritual truths in his sleep. The sleeping subject's own personal views, imperfections and limitations may have influenced what was dictated.