Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:06 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I woke up on this planet in 1943 and have been wondering about why ever since. :wink:
I have always been interested in religion and went from Calvin to Armstrong. The UB makes more sense than any by far :!:

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Would that be Louie Armstrong, Slyde?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Gerdean,
Louie Armstrong........... a father of jazz, a true music pioneer. We owe him a lot, however, I was referring to Herbert W.Armstrong. He was the founder oF the Radio Church of God. He taught the keeping of the Sabbath on the 7th day, keeping of the old testament Holy Days, the food laws (no pork ect.) and the keeping of the law much like the Jewish fundementalists. :roll: Without The Blues Brothers outfits.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

You guys are a hoot! I bet Louis Armstrong's music might inspire religious thought in some...hey, why not? Music is the universal language...

Slyde, I have felt like you - for all of my life 9 from 1946), right up until I found the UBook (in 1985). Not instantly, but over time, I came to understand why I did not feel connected, and it was because I simply was NOT connected. When I read about God, and how all of us are so totally unique in time and eternity, I knew that it was important that I was alive - I wasn't sure what my purpose was, but it is becoming more clear over time. I know this will happen with you, too...We can't help but feel special eventually, because we all ARE...unrepeatable in time and eternity.

God is good...you are here for a good reason...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I was raised a Baptist. My mom had me re-baptized every time we got a new minister.
Then, at the age of 19 I joined up with the Jehovah's Wittinesses. That was my first wifes religion. Her parents would not let us get married unless I became one of them. She was 16 years old at the time. Her older brothers instructed me in there faith. We got baptized together at a JW convention.
In that religion, they take baptism very seriously. An elder will give you questions to answer and you have to get a good score before they will approve your baptism. You must also be enrolled in the ministry school. It was frowned on if you didn't attend all five meetings a week. Once your baptized, your considered an ordained minister. I was having a tough time managing depression so I eventually got dis fellowshipped. When that happens, No one is allowed to talk to some one that has been
dis fellowshipped. So, I stopped having any faith until I found the UB.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Workman! Good to see you, bro!

You and I have had conversation before about our early experiences with Jehovah's Witnesses. I was quite a good student in the ministry school and quite active going from door to door and quite sincere, as I believe were my elders. It's just that, when I started asking questions, I was told to not question, but I did and that got me into trouble. Eventually I moved on for something that answered my questions, something I could believe in without reservation, and 10 years later I found the UB.

It was there I learned how people's beliefs can be manipulated by a judicious use of scriptures. It could be called teaching; it could also be called propaganda. Only the spirit of truth knows for sure. Thus, these days when people try to "enlighten" me through quoting scriptures (even the UB), their efforts are largely wasted. I know how to read; I have read the book, many times; I have studied the religion of Jesus and the religion of lots of other folks, sincere and well-meaning folks, such as the witnesses. But I have my own religion that is personal, between me and my Maker. I have a wonderful belief system that has been derived through my studies (the UB is uppermost), my experiences and my relationship with Divinity that makes sense for me and helps me be at home in the universe and in my own skin.

The witnesses are decent people and, by and large, have a reasonable theology, although obviously they did not fulfil my needs or I would not have left them in search of higher truths when I was 14, two years after my baptism. Naturally I still retain traces of their conditioning and overall I am pleased to have had that exposure and that training in my youth.

But I think that any religion or sect or cult that has to employ the practice of disfellowshipping or excommunication to keep their members in line does not deserve to have any members. It is a despicable and shaming practice that is unworthy of anything having to do with God or godliness. It's a power trip, plain and simple.

So, congratulations to you for getting out with your sanity intact. And it is great to see you here!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Gardean,
It's great to see you. I agree with what you have said about excommunication being a shameful practice. The fact that we could not have friends outside our religion left me very lonely and isolated after being excommunicated. The only friends I had met at the Kingdom Hall and suddenly, I could no longer speak to them or them to me. I am so thankful that my TA lead me to the UB and all you wonderful brothers and sisters.
God Bless

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Jewish here...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Myrmidon wrote:
Jewish here...
God Bless You Myrmidon.

You are a blessing to this site. I look forward to your posts my brother.
:smile: Welcome again! :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I was raised in a very formal Presbyterian Church where Jesus showed up in a tuxedo every Sunday. The relationship with Christ was very distant, and personal closeness with Christ didn't seem important (in retrospect). As I got older and more experienced in life, meeting people who had a personal relationship with Christ intimidated me. I had no concept of how or why anyone could be that close to a historical figure over 2,000 years old.

In the meantime, what I didn't know was that my mom and dad were Urantians and attended study groups beginning in the early 80s. Looking back, I realize how they infused Urantian beliefs into their three daughters.

In my 20's I searched for something, completely dissatisfied with religion. It all seemed too simple and childish. Not enough facts to satisfy the whole picture. I believe in God, but told him I needed something outside conventional religious believes. I needed steak, not tofu 8) .

Then, at 28 years old, I remembered the Blue Book my folks used to study and purchased one. My folks and I have been studying the UB together going on ten years now.

So, today - I call myself a Christian and I have a deep and meaningful relationship with Christ Michael. I get it now. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Aloha Alise...wow what a story...I wanted to cry when I read about you and your parents reading together...my mother was very private about her faith but displayed the love in her daily life. She knew I read the UB but wish now I could of read with her...that is so wonderful!

Welcome to our forum Alise...and God bless you...

PostPosted:  

I still being primarily keenly seeking the truth above all else, I kept my mind open and kept searching. Within the first year the spirit led me to an existing good friend of mind who chanced to have TUB in his book collection. A particular conversation we had led him to showing me this book

PostPosted:  

I think this is a great place to start to introduce myself. I would be lying if I said I was absolutely new. I was here before, a few years back and only for 2 days. I had forgotten my password and user name. I am back and hopefully with more time.

I never thought of myself as religious. However, I did find myself baptizing myself and my daughter as catholics. Circumstances lead me to believe it was the right thing to do from a respectful perception. It was not from a spiritual perception. I am often labeled as a Christian because of my belief in Jesus. I take no offence to being categorized all though I feel I have no religion or doctrine. My first experience with God was as a child. I met God way before I met Jesus. It was me, my teddy bear and God. I was not raised with church, prayer or any religious practice. As I got older, between 8 and 10 yrs old, I seeked God and decided to go to church with friends and thier families. That did not last long. I confess, I have not read the whole UB. It was destroyed unfortunately. I confess, I have not read the whole bible, it makes me very tired. None the less, I am sure no one here will judge me. Nor does Jesus for my lack of reading. I am here because it is nice to be amongst people who speak openly and wont look at me funny when I say Jesus or God.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Welcome back pingpong.
Larry

PostPosted:  

I was raised Lutheran, was forced to go to church because "Giving God one day a week was the least I could do". Shame and guilt are not a good foundation for any relationship, and by the time I went in service, I had had enough! It was rough, because my Mom was raised strict Lutheran,(my Dad used to joke that the Lutherans were going to be very lonely in heaven) and she was certain I was heading for hell. Luckily, she had a good head on her shoulders, and when I said I'd rather face God someday with what I honestly believed, than with an inherited religion, she understood.
It was a long trip; Unitarians, Theosophical Society, Unity etc., but at a party one night, the talk turned religious, and host went and got his UB saying "You might find this interesting". What an understatement! Well, all the years of religiosity has so tainted me, that it took another 14 years of struggling with the Forward before I discovered Part IV. It opened up a real relationship with Jesus and Father.

One final note, after years of trying to "sell" the UB to friends and family, I have come to realize that "it ain't free"... there is an entrance "fee" to be paid; You must be a sincere seeker of Truth. You need to be the one who instigates the search, no one convinces anyone by pushing them towards the book. Now I just try to let them know it is there, if and when they are ready.

Bro Dave

IMperfection... the REAL Gift.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next