Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:05 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Please pray for guidance and understanding for new readers, in their endeavor to better understand the TUB.

"Of all human knowledge, that which is of greatest value is to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it." p2090

God Bless

Jim

Last edited by bulldog on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:36 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Post edited after chat with Bulldog. TNX

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p1620:21 144:3.9 When Jesus spent whole nights on the mountain in prayer, it was mainly for his disciples, particularly for the twelve. The Master prayed very little for himself, although he engaged in much worship of the nature of understanding communion with his Paradise Father.

p1621:5 144:4.6 Prayer is an antidote for harmful introspection. At least, prayer as the Master taught it is such a beneficent ministry to the soul. Jesus consistently employed the beneficial influence of praying for one's fellows. The Master usually prayed in the plural, not in the singular. Only in the great crises of his earth life did Jesus ever pray for himself.

p1640:3 146:2.14 13. Jesus taught that the prayer for divine guidance over the pathway of earthly life was next in importance to the petition for a knowledge of the Father's will. In reality this means a prayer for divine wisdom. Jesus never taught that human knowledge and special skill could be gained by prayer. But he did teach that prayer is a factor in the enlargement of one's capacity to receive the presence of the divine spirit. When Jesus taught his associates to pray in the spirit and in truth, he explained that he referred to praying sincerely and in accordance with one's enlightenment, to praying wholeheartedly and intelligently, earnestly and steadfastly.

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:58 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Iris,

My reply has been edited.

But I would stand behind what I had up, which was info straight from the book.

Jesus and His doings were special. Many features of what He did was only pertinent to His mission and ministry.

But if you desire to discuss the matter further, I'd be happy to join back in and welcome everyone else's input.

Perhaps it should be taken back up in the relevant thread in Abner's.

The book clear states the conditions of effective prayer, what prayer is for, and what it is not for, in Paper 91.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
To "follow Jesus" means to personally share his religious faith and to enter into the spirit of the Master's life of unselfish service for man. One of the most important things in human living is to find out what Jesus believed, to discover his ideals, and to strive for the achievement of his exalted life purpose. Of all human knowledge, that which is of greatest value is to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it. p2090:4 196:1.3

Quote:
And this was the last time Abner ever saw Jesus in the flesh. His farewell to Abner was: "My son, I know you will be true to the kingdom, and I pray the Father to grant you wisdom that you may love and understand your brethren." p1870:5 171:3.2

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:59 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Iris,

I'm not going to rattle off a list of quotes from Paper 91 in this thread to go with what I'm saying.

This is a sensitive subject for some and it's best discussed further in Abner's Corner under the thread already going there.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
p1616:6 143:7.4 Prayer is designed to make man less thinking but more realizing; it is not designed to increase knowledge but rather to expand insight.
p1620:15 144:3.8 Jesus taught that effective prayer must be:

p1620:16 1. Unselfish—not alone for oneself.
p1620:17 2. Believing—according to faith.
p1620:18 3. Sincere—honest of heart.
p1620:19 4. Intelligent—according to light.
p1620:20 5. Trustful—in submission to the Father's all-wise will.

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:00 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

"When you study the career of the Master, as concerns prayer or any other feature of the religious life, look not so much for what he taught as for what he did." p2088:5 196:0.10

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:04 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I see your point, Iris, and while I do make note of it as a comprehension held by one of our members, it is not something I subscribe to personally. To me, everything Jesus did was an object lesson, everything he said was a lesson for me to learn, every deed he did was an example for me to follow. From the beginning, I heard Jesus as if he were speaking directly to me ... not simply to his apostles. That might sound very ego-centric, but it works. Otherwise, the revelation is just a book and I feel certain it was produced to inspire us to know the religious life of Jesus instead of simply reading about it as it was revealed to others many generations ago.

It is like the concept of the kingdom of heaven. Millions of sincere believers put off the kingdom as something that will happen to us in the future, at some future date, when in fact the kingdom is within us this very moment; we don't have to wait for it to get here, it is not dependent on others; it is NOW. Perhaps people put it off embracing the kingdom because to own up to it they would perforce be affected by it; to the timid, enlightenment can be such an inconvenience!

Reviewing the sentence that causes you some concern, I would go so far as to say that people also tend to put Jesus on some pedestal as if to say he is too far beyond us, as a son of God, to emulate, when in fact he lived his life specifically as a mortal, as son of Man, without drawing upon his powers, and he assured us that we could do as he was doing, if we would but have faith and live up to that faith.

Quote:
#4. Few mortals ever dare to draw anything like the sum of personality credits established byt he combined ministries of nature and grace. The majority ofimpoverished souls are truly rich, but they refuse to believe it. 556. Morontia Mota
We short change ourselves awfully on this world. And then assume everybody else is similarly limited.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p2091:1 196:1.5 Jesus never argued about either the fatherhood of God or the brotherhood of men; he was a living illustration of the one and a profound demonstration of the other. 

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:07 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Lord guide all of us as readers of The Urantia Book into new spiritual insights and revelations to guide our souls to your most loving heart of hearts. May the new readers of TUB join us in loving you Lord and we join ALL your children, our brothers and sisters in the search for your Love, guidance and revelation of your Love in this world as well as the next. Help us to helpful and kind to each other and to exercise the patience of divine guidance as we join our new TUB readers in love and praise of your being while we unite in the discovery of your truths here and beyond.

Thank you Lord because even though I am not worthy your hear my prayer and provide me with the answer I need before I even ask. Thank You Lord. Praise you Lord. Thank You lord. Amen
:smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

To all,
This last week my 80 year old mother laid at deaths doorstep. With 2 failed attempts to go through her legs to reach the blocked arteries that were starving her heart of life giving blood ther seemed little hope that she could survive much longer.She was so bad that she couldn't even get out of bed without crushing pain and shortness of breath.
After a couple of days the Doctors decided to try once more to reach her heart throught the leg. I went to her the night before with little hope and the realization that I probably would not have her very much longer. As I have many times before I took her hand and said "Mom let me pray for you." So I prayed but I still had very little hope. As the Dr. said "an almost impossible situation."
The next day - SUCCESS! She has been home for 2 days and is up making her own meals and living her life as if nothing ever happened.

Quote:
144:2.4 "Which of you who is a father, if his son asks unwisely, would hesitate to give in accordance with parental wisdom rather than in the terms of the son's faulty petition? If the child needs a loaf, will you give him a stone just because he unwisely asks for it? If your son needs a fish, will you give him a watersnake just because it may chance to come up in the net with the fish and the child foolishly asks for the serpent? If you, then, being mortal and finite, know how to answer prayer and give good and appropriate gifts to your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the spirit and many additional blessings to those who ask him? Men ought always to pray and not become discouraged

If I come before God with a humble heart and an honest one I know that he hears my prayers be it with silent words of the heart or on my knees with vocal words or holding hands with the woman who gave me life. Sometimes the answer is no, somtimes the answer may be years down the road of life and sometimes it can be immediate. I do know that He always hears and that praying to our Father is never in vain.

Back to my Mom -
"Oh me of little faith"

Love to all,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey that's awesome news Jeff ! I'm very glad that the procedure on your mom was a success and that she is doing so much better. Your prayer may well have played a useful part!

And your prayer here for your mom was exactly the type of prayer that the UB states IS appropriate, useful and beneficial all the way around. Excellent.

Seeing as we have an ongoing discussion here about fruitful vs. nonfruitful prayer, I would be compelled to take a little issue with one of your last statements. And you said that "praying to our Father is never in vain."

That part doesn't appear to be so Jeff. Here is an abstract example. Do you now propose to pray to Father to have him conjure up a million dollars in used $20's and have it fall from out of the sky into your hands? No, I don't think you would...but that would be a prayer to Father which would be in vain. So perhaps we should be careful about throwing the word (never) around. Know what I mean?

Thanks again and I'm very happy your mom is doing better !

Sincerely, Vann

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

jeff, vann, and all,

I just wanted to add that I've met jeff's mother and she is a very sweet, beautiful, and strong woman who makes 80 year olds look good. About a month ago, she asked jeff for a Urantia Book and has had one with her ever since.

Love to all,

Stacey

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p1140:2 103:8.2 The confusion about the experience of the certainty of God arises out of the dissimilar interpretations and relations of that experience by separate individuals and by different races of men. The experiencing of God may be wholly valid, but the discourse about God, being intellectual and philosophical, is divergent and oftentimes confusingly fallacious.

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:22 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.