Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:50 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Iris,

I have not enjoyed the experience yet of hearing the divine voice in my mind. If you have, and that is actually what you heard, then I am thrilled for you and salute your dedicated effort.

I agree that personal communication with a superplanetary personality would probably occur though the personality circuit in some fashion. I do not find that to be any mind-blowing news however.

Thanks

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

117:6.2 If you truly desire to find God, you cannot help having born in your minds the consciousness of the Supreme. As God is your divine Father, so is the Supreme your divine Mother, in whom you are nurtured throughout your lives as universe creatures. "How universal is the Supreme—he is on all sides! The limitless things of creation depend on his presence for life, and none are refused."

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:26 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey Iris,

I am not offended at all by any of this discussion, nor do I take anything you have said as sarcasm, far from it.

But now I am somewhat surprised that you have offered this story regarding your son and being taken as an indication of divine guidance. And you say your son isn't even religious.

I would have assumed with your expertise with the book you would taken such happenings as just listening to one's own conscience?

Respectfully:

"Do not confuse and confound the mission and influence of the Adjuster with what is commonly called conscience; they are not directly related. Conscience is a human and purely psychic reaction. It is not to be despised, but it is hardly the voice of God to the soul, which indeed the Adjuster's would be if such a voice could be heard. Conscience, rightly, admonishes you to do right; but the Adjuster, in addition, endeavors to tell you what is truly right; that is, when and as you are able to perceive the Monitor's leading." pgs 1207-8

Hearing the divine voice in one's mind comes after years of dedicated and consecrated service and effort. It has to be chosen and wanted. It doesn't therefore seem that God steps in and speaks to persons to assist them in the pursuit of the ordinary activities of daily life, instructing them to do this and not to do that. The Gods do not ordinarily intervene in the material affairs of men.

I think this was merely your son listening to his conscience...and I'm glad that he did!

Thanks,

Vann

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Do not confuse and confound the mission and influence of the Adjuster with what is commonly called conscience; they are not directly related. Conscience is a human and purely psychic reaction. It is not to be despised, but it is hardly the voice of God to the soul, which indeed the Adjuster's would be if such a voice could be heard. Conscience, rightly, admonishes you to do right; but the Adjuster, in addition, endeavors to tell you what truly is right; that is, when and as you are able to perceive the Monitor's leading. 1207:07

Quote:
Although the divine indwellers are chiefly concerned with your spiritual preparation for the next stage of the never-ending existence, they are also deeply interested in your temporal welfare and in your real achievements on earth. They are delighted to contribute to your health, happiness, and true prosperity. They are not indifferent to your success in all matters of planetary advancement which are not inimical to your future life of eternal progress.
Adjusters are interested in, and concerned with, your daily doings and the manifold details of your life just to the extent that these are influential in the determination of your significant temporal choices and vital spiritual decisions and, hence, are factors in the solution of your problem of soul survival and eternal progress. The Adjuster, while passive regarding purely temporal welfare, is divinely active concerning all the affairs of your eternal future.1203:03-1204:04
[b]

Quote:
"To him prayer was a sincere expression of spiritual attitude, a declaration of soul loyalty, a recital of personal devotion, an expression of thanksgiving, an avoidance of emotional tension, a prevention of conflict, an exaltation of intellection, an ennoblement of desire, a vindication of moral decision, an enrichment of thought, an invigoration of higher inclinations, a consecration of impulse, a clarification of viewpoint, a declaration of faith, a transcendental surrender of will, a sublime assertion of confidence, a revelation of courage, the proclamation of discovery, a confession of supreme devotion, the validation of consecration, a technique for the adjustment of difficulties, and the mighty mobilization of the combined soul powers to withstand all human tendencies toward selfishness, evil, and sin. He lived just such a life of prayerful consecration to the doing of his Father's will and ended his life triumphantly with just such a prayer. The secret of his unparalleled religious life was this consciousness of the presence of God; and he attained it by intelligent prayer and sincere worship -- unbroken communion with God -- and not by leadings, voices, visions, or extraordinary religious practices." P2088:5, 196:0.10

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:28 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Iris;
I think that it's also possible that the Spirit himself made an intercession for your son that night.

Quote:
8:6.4 "The love of the Spirit" is real, as also are his sorrows; therefore "Grieve not the Spirit of God." Whether we observe the Infinite Spirit as Paradise Deity or as a local universe Creative Spirit, we find that the Conjoint Creator is not only the Third Source and Center but also a divine person. This divine personality also reacts to the universe as a person. The Spirit speaks to you, "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says." "The Spirit himself makes intercession for you." The Spirit exerts a direct and personal influence upon created beings, "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

It could also be possible that the Spirit interceded through you for your son.
Divine intervention is a reality in this life.

Love to all,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Iris,

When you say that the choice your son made was not a function of his conscience, you can only be speculating.....unless you can see inside his head, read his thoughts, and clearly analyze his mind processes.....I will forgo any laughing smiley faces here from the smiley face site.....

We're getting off topic here from the original subject.

Ah it's 9:30 and I gotta go to bed. Too much to do in the morning.

See ya tomorrow

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

"Likewise, it is hazardous to attempt the differentiation of the Adjusters' concept registry from the more or less continuous and conscious reception of the dictations of mortal conscience. These are problems which will have to be solved through individual discrimination and personal decision." 110:5.5

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:29 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

We're all so very ready to jump onto the thought that we have special connections with deity -- that we're special in God's eye. I'm not criticizing you Iris, or anyone else for that matter. Who knows, perhaps God does whisper to us saying the roads are slippery and if you'll just wait you'll be safe. Or maybe it's a guardian angel doing the whispering -- I don't know. But it seems to me it makes little if any difference to spirit whether we live a full life here or die in an untimely horrific accident that ships us off to the mansion worlds early. Tragic and to be avoided in the perceptions of those left behind; just another step along the path toward paradise in reality.

What I do know is that God is no respecter of persons. I do know too that we have perceptive minds, especially perceptive subconscious minds with the purpose and duty of preserving our physical form. A moment of silent contemplation can tap into that reservoir and acquire those subconscious perceptions that, if we listen to them, guide us in our thoughts and decisions more, I think, than any tenuous connections we have with higher consciousness. Most of what we attribute to higher consciousness isn't higher at all; it is the guidance of the subconscious. Animals have it; we do too.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

"Prayer induces the human ego to look both ways for help: for material aid to the subconscious reservoir of mortal experience, for inspiration and guidance to the superconscious borders of the contact of the material with the spiritual, with the Mystery Monitor." 997:03

"But whoso is thoughtful, prudent, reflective, fervent, and earnest--even while he yet lives on earth--may attain the supreme enlightenment of the peace and liberty of divine wisdom." 1447:02

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:31 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Miss Iris,

Me swears you are difficult to have a discussion with. Many times you will not listen to or apparently pay much attention to anything anyone else offers. Your mind is made up. I find it hard to chat with a brick wall and it makes "discussion" frustrating. The Speeches and Essays Forum would be a good place for some of your ideas. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

117:6.8 All soul-evolving humans are literally the evolutionary sons of God the Father and God the Mother, the Supreme Being. But until such time as mortal man becomes soul-conscious of his divine heritage, this assurance of Deity kinship must be faith realized. Human life experience is the cosmic cocoon in which the universe endowments of the Supreme Being and the universe presence of the Universal Father (none of which are personalities) are evolving the morontia soul of time and the human-divine finaliter character of universe destiny and eternal service.

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:33 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Iris,

The example you've given I think is a good example of how we can be Adjuster led -- pausing to reflect, getting a new perspective, and making a conscious decision whether to heed the new thought or not. I guess my point was that I resist the impulse to attribute these leading to God, to the Adjuster. They're as likely, from my point of view, to be the natural functioning of the subconscious mind or if higher, perhaps from our guardian angel. I expect the difference to me would be that both the guardian angel and the subconscious mind have in interest in helping an individual stay alive while I'm not sure that that's of primary concern for the Adjuster. But in our rush to prove to ourselves that we're "spiritual people" we tend to attribute these happenings to higher sources and their watchcare.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

117:6.17 Despite the fact that you cannot, in this universe age, personally find him as you can and will find the Father, the Son, and the Spirit, nevertheless, the Paradise ascent and subsequent universe career will gradually create in your consciousness the recognition of the universe presence and the cosmic action of the God of all experience. The fruits of the spirit are the substance of the Supreme as he is realizable in human experience.

Last edited by Bonita on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:34 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Good Iris. I agree.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Iris wrote:
I'm sorry if this conversation has embittered some of you who think that all the answers are in black in white in the big blue book.

Hello Iris,

This is why I don't often enter threads where you are holding court. Anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, insulted, "embittered" or attacked in some way. All this while claiming advanced spirituality. Sorry, I don't see it.