Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:15 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted:  

Dear Members,

I would like to see, and I guess start :P one thread which can cover every single aspect, pro and con, regarding one great battle that faces us in the Ub readership community. And that battle is:

The Combined Problems of the World vs. Resistance to the Idea of Revealing to the World the Fact That The Urantia Book Exists, to the Immediate End That a Large Portion of the World's Population Will Learn of and Begin Living the Truths Therein - Thereby Serving To More Quickly Control, Combat and Eliminate the Part of the First Part - The Combined Problems of the World.

I've heard all the cons before and none hold much of any water (with me.)

The world's not ready for it. Well that will be true of many millions of persons. Yet there must surely also be many millions of others, truth seekers, persons wholly or partially dissatisfied with present institutional religions of ecclesiastic authority, ect...who would eagerly accept the revelation if they only knew it existed.

But this isn't only a spiritual or religious matter.....hardly.

The world is confronted by manyfold material problems that could be and will be greatly eased or eliminated if the truth, knowledge and motivations presented in the UB were known and implimented.

Wars, poverty, treatments of certain diseases, greeds, inequalities are all destined to be eliminated by the truths of universal reality (cosmology.)

Just this week there is a feature article in a major newspaper regarding various horriffic scandals in the state metal hospitals of Oregon and Georgia where due to pathetically poor treatments and non-treatments along with other aliments, the poor patients of these facilities die, are abused, and receive little if no meaning treatment.

The UB relates that most of these "mental problems" that people suffer are not the result of organic difficulties....they do not have grossly diseased brains....they are much more often than not just social misadjustments. People have "nervous breakdowns" only because they are seriously confused, haven't discovered their proper roles in life, don't know how to cope with the everyday responsibilities of rigorous normal adult life, were improperly trained by their parents...on and on.

All of this could be eliminated, all of it, if the "people knew and began to learn the truth." Imagine all metal hospitals closing because they were no longer needed.

This is not a far away dream for 5,000 years from now. It can be much sooner than you might think.

Let's have a discussion fairly covering every single angle anyone can bring up regarding presenting the UB to the public sooner or later. Let it all hang out.

I do not favor PROMOTING the UB publicly at this time. Merely letting the public know it exists. Interested persons can there decide for themselves whether or not to obtain and read the book or investigate it further as they wish.

Surely this can be done in a respectful manner and can remain here in an open forum and not have to be moved to Abner's so all members can participate.

Public "announcing" would not have to be worldwide. There are still very many languages where the UB has no translation yet. It could start in the U.S. and many other "first world" countries and go from there.

What do you all think?

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Vann, I'm just home for a moment to eat lunch so my first contribution will be brief.

I guess your thoughts require an analysis of what's been done already - and the success/failure rate of what's been done, and, what might be done otherwise.

Anyone aware of all the past and current attempts?

All the best, Ray

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

We cannot possibly know all the efforts, but they are assuredly on-going. Not all of them are official, or organized, or sanctioned. Many of them are "as we pass by" and they may not likely lead directly to a person running out to find a UB on the nearest book shelf, but if it helps introduce man to God, it is part of the solution.

Furthermore, if special projects are good enough for the destiny reservists, it's good enough for me. I am convinced that even folks who do not know Our Father but who have a passion, a special "calling," and are dedicated to some one science or service project that affects the overall evolution of Urantia, in some way has a hand in advancing our world toward light and life.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

It makes me nearly angry, and sometimes actually angry, every time I stop and consider some continuing societal problem, or see the latest story in the news about whatever....anything, that would be resolved if the majority new the truth.

The popular buzz in this election cycle here in the U.S. is that the so many parts of government and American life are badly broken. Each or most of the candidates proclaiming themselves to be the best choice for maximum change against the status quo. Yeah, change. Change is what we need alright. And it's The Urantia Book that contains the information needed to define and direct the change that is needed.

There is nothing necessarily fundamentally wrong with the theory of the person to person spreading of the revelation. The situation is however is that it is happening too slowly. Not enough persons who know about it now and who actively do something to execute some spread.

How many of you actively seek out others with who you attempt to share the book's knowledge or existence? How many times have you tried in the last year? How many times were you successful?

The harvest is ripe yet the workers are few.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Ray,

About previous efforts, I don't there have been any that amounted to anything. Only some small localized efforts. A booth at a book fair just doesn't count in my view, that is, that doesn't qualify to be called a "large advertising effort."

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Howdy, folks.

Hi, Vann. I doubt that there are many UBers who aren't eager to see a broader dissemination of the book. It's hard to see how it would do any harm, and we'd like to think it would do a lot of good. :smile:

But when you say:
Quote:
The situation is however is that it is happening too slowly.
I have to wonder how you know this. From our limited human perspective I can understand how it might seem so, but from a Cosmic perspective, things might be right on track. All I know for sure is, I'm certainly not qualified to make such assessments.

But this is no reason not to do our best to spread the new and improved Gospel of Jesus. And to that end, Ray has it quite right. If one is to assume that the spread of UB has been too slow, it is hard not to also assume this is because of the inadequacy of previous efforts. And without first taking the time to know what these efforts are, and why they have "failed", we are bound to waste our time making the same mistakes.

The first step in any serious project is research. Of course, I didn't really get too serious, but I did do a little research. It took me about ten minutes to find a few interesting things. I list some of them below:
On the internet:
*There are over 200 web sites devoted to UB. This sounds to me like pretty good exposure.
*Wikipedia features a generous article on UB. I was surprised actually. It gives a very good synopsis. One bound to tickle the fancy of a seeker.
*There is a Urantia Book Internet School. It's sponsored by The Urantia Foundation. It may be small potatoes, I don't know. But it's something.

In popular culture:
* German composer Karlheinz Stockhausen's massive opera cycle Licht makes reference to it in the first and third acts of Donnerstag (Thursday), and in the symbols associated with two of the three main characters, Michael and Lucifer.
* The band Deadsy is influenced by The Urantia Book, and makes references to it in several songs.
* The album Monolith, by the American progressive rock group Kansas, was largely influenced by The Urantia Book.
* The psychedelic/rock group Spirit released a series of albums influenced by The Urantia Book during the mid-1970s, most notable on the albums Spirit of '76 and Son of Spirit.
* Pato Banton, international reggae recording artist, regularly performs and has dedicated himself to raising awareness about it.
* Jazz Fusion band Weather Report's seventh album titled "Heavy Weather" features a track titled "Havona" written by bass guitar legend Jaco Pastorius.
* Author Denis Johnson describes a follower of the book within his novel Angels,
* There have been accusations of J.J. Benítez plagiarizing The Urantia Book for his Spanish-language novel series Caballo de Troya
* Mentioned In the Six Feet Under tie-in book Better Living Through Death
* Ashtar-Urantia- Audio CD- Celtic-flavoured progressive rock,
* Urantia Rising by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2006) -Import
* Mykl Lozin -Ascension - the 7th Wave -Audio CD-Australian composer and Violinist - Mykl Lozin. 3.Urantia

This list is by no means comprehensive. Perhaps it is trivial. But I'm sure there is lots of other stuff going on. Perhaps it's all trivial, too. I don't know. I am not trying to make the case that this is enough. Only that the Urantia movement is definitely present, and perhaps even growing. The Urantia Book is not hard to find, and it is readily available. So it is not a problem of availability. It's a problem of awareness.

So the question is, "How do we increase the popular awareness of UB?"

It seems, Vann, that you have put a great deal of thought into this matter. What do you suggest, exactly?

I'd like to share one more thing. It is a link to the Urantia Book History website. Among other things, it has copies of the Annual Reports of the Urantia Brotherhood from 1955 to 2007. Many of the early documents are handwritten. Some in Dr. Sadler's own hand. It's fascinating stuff. Here is the link:
URANTIA BOOK HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Here is an excerpt from Dr. Sadler's report to the Brotherhood, 20 January, 1958:

PRESIDENT'S TRIENNIAL REPORT (1955-1957)
"2. The Urantia Book as a Means to the End. The Book itself is not an End --it is a most important Means to an End. It is designed to bring God closer to men and to bring man closer to God. We may minister to our spiritually hungry brothers with or without the aid of the Urantia Book. But, if the Book ever becomes mandatory in our ministry, then have we truly become sectarian. Our primary objective, as Urantians, is the service of God, and the Book is an important Means to that great End. Here we should make a vital distinction between that which is value and that which has value."

To see the complete report, click here.

Peace,
Arc

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Arc,

You ask how I know this? It is only an opinion....and wanting to stir some discussion. I'm open to all viewpoints and ideas.

What do I suggest? Half or full page ads in major newspapers and magazines. But it would need to be a coordinated effort pretty much all happening the same week. Perhaps do in Sunday editions for a month.

Requirements? Lot's of money. That's a major problem isn't it. For an individual to do it they'd have to be a reader-millionaire.

So it may require the operation of one of the official organizations. If any one of them, or a new organization interested in performing this function, they could announce their intentions to the UB reader community and initiate a fund raising campaign for this purpose. I'd contribute today.

A nicely worded introduction and description, perhaps something similar to what appears on the back and parts of the inside flaps of the dust jacket on Foundation edition hardbacks.

With a big (numbers) ad effort, millions of persons would see it all across the country the same week, and hopefully it would be noticed and picked up on by major news media organizations.

Clearly the fact of this book's existence on our world is a front page news story....it's only a matter of when....

Can you see a full page ad in the Chicago Tribune? It would most likely be seen by say....Oprah Winfrey. Say she checks it out and likes what she see? Can you see her talking about it on her show? Putting it one her Book of the Month Club. That would reach millions of persons right there. That one thing would probably do it however I admit that this is a supposition.

Thanks!
Vann

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this as a library hound, but I've never thought to check the public library to see if it has TUB in the stacks.

If Public Libraries do not have a copy, they should have.

If they have copies, I'd be interested in the duration time of check out and renewals. Also, how many books never return to the library; how often they are checked out under the same name; etc. I wonder if there is a way to access library data such as this?

TUB at the book store can be intimidating for a first time browser - at least in terms of making a purchase decision. Perhaps when books are on the shelf at book stores, the cover could state - "Check it out at the library and take it on a test drive!"

My thoughts for the evening.

All the best, Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Many of the study groups have engaged in a program to get UBooks into the library. One group here in Albuquerque did that so many years ago I cannot remember which one it was. But we checked all the libraries and made sure there was a Book in each branch. A couple of years ago we had a UB/TM Retreat here at a Catholic Spirituality Center and left a copy in their library. Neither of these were programs driven or funded by the Foundation or the Fellowship, but simply by the readers because we know how much the planet will benefit from this incredible tome.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey Ray,

Of course library placement is highly desirable if not essential, but does this have anything to do with a larger scale advertising effort? I don't see how.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

No Vann, it doesn't. However, to engage in an advertising program somehow does not ressonate with me as a proper or prudent move - at least not at this time - to disseminate TUB.

All the best, Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks for your viewpoint Ray, that's what this thread is looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Gerdean and all

Just wanted you to know that I went to Barnes and Noble Bookstore and found that they had left the two Urantia Books in the Christian Religion section where I had put them. So I took one and put it back in the New Age section. I wish they had more copies to go in all the other sections where it would be appropriate.

I first heard about the UB in the middle 70's and went looking for it in my local bookstores, but was unable to find one. So when I had the opportunity to go to a town neaby, which is a college town, they had a book store that carried many more types of books and magazines that chain bookstores carried. I found it there, in the New Age section.

If this planet is ready for this book and not just a few mortals, it will spread like wildfire and we may not have anything to do with it. I know, most of you will say that if we don't do it, it won't get done. I believe my God is powerful enough that if His will is that this revelation be in the hands of mortals all over the Earth (which it is), He will get it done with or without our help.

This book is the type that maybe should be introduced (over 52 years) one on one, rather than by advertising, calling for special meetings throughout cities and states and nations, or even placing it in libraries or book stores,

After all, like someone else said, it really isn't the book that is important, it's what's in the book that we should be disseminating, brotherly love, truth, beauty and goodness and the fruits of the spirit. No matter how many books we can disperse throughout the world, if we don't DO the book, then it is only another book about what we should be doing...

Just my 2 cents...

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey KP,

I will offer some comments back

I think suggesting that "God will make it happen" is referring to something magical and the UB makes it plains that those sorts of things simply do not occur.

We are "God's hands" on earth. The UB is not for God, it is for us. We have to do the work.

When Jesus commanded His apostles and followers to go unto all the world to spread the gospel, He did just that as stated. He did not say, "ok friends, you all know what is going on. kick back, pop a beer and watch the game on TV this afternoon." He gave them a physical task to perform, and that continues to this day.

"This book is the type that maybe should be introduced.....one on one, rather than by advertising...."

I will glady accept that as an opinion.

It seems you have changed your mind recently KP. On another thread you spoke favorably of a more immediate and widespread introduction of the book to the masses. That is fine if you've changed your mind.

You're quite correct with your last paragraph above. It is what's in the book that needs disseminating.

But the harvest is ripe and the workers are few is my point. We (the world) needs more people who read & know the book....so we need to do something more to get it into their hands.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hello Iris,

As with all advertising, it usually is general to the public. Let whosoever will, come.

There is no way to target any audience with a newspaper that I can think of.

And you repeat something that has been mentioned several times before. It is the truths in the book that need to be lived and taught and spread. I agree...again

But how are folks to LEARN ABOUT these new truths and all of the other information except through possession of the book.

If you didn't possess the book....you wouldn't be here typing these words now.

See what I mean?

This might be answered: By the people who have the book now. It is their job to do the spreading. Fine, but I must repeat that the harvest is ripe and workers are few (Jesus). There are over six billion people in the world. How many UB reader-believers are there who have the gumption and ability to effectively spread the teachings? A very tiny miniscule number that is.

The world is very badly broken NOW. We need this revelation in the hands of the spiritually hungry truth seekers....sooner rather than later.

The current rate of reader expansion is no where near adequate to this task.

Thank you,

Vann

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next