Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:24 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: How Can This Be?
PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
Thanks Maryjo!!

I think it best to consider our political and social circumstances and realities by attempting a longer time unit perspective and greater objectivity within the context of evolutionary progress!

Impatience and disappointments and frustrations indicate a certain immaturity in perspective we are taught. There is great progress to be considered in the 20th and 21st centuries. In some ways the inhumanity and indifference of capitalism is being exposed and the suffering it creates and those who perpetuate that suffering are being revealed in ways that will deliver objection, activism, and change.

Indeed, as a child of the 60's (white, male, boomer, privileged - if poor - we called it free, white, male, and 21 back in the 70's so we definitely knew of our own power and privileged status compared to those of color or female), there are many trajectories of progress I have witnessed and am encouraged about!! Doom and gloomers are neither correct or helpful in the efforts to bring Light and Life to our world. Disappointment does not help. Nor does anxiety or fear. We need courage and hope and the light of truth and the Spirit within to SEE reality beyond the apparent inadequacies and inferiorities of the worst of humanity.

Those who see no progress are merely blind to time...not correct. Our frustration, disappointment, and impatience are a result of mismanaged time unit perspective....immaturity! I speak of myself specifically, and others only generally.

118:1.2 (1295.2) The personality of the mortal creature may eternalize by self-identification with the indwelling spirit through the technique of choosing to do the will of the Father. Such a consecration of will is tantamount to the realization of eternity-reality of purpose. This means that the purpose of the creature has become fixed with regard to the succession of moments; stated otherwise, that the succession of moments will witness no change in creature purpose. A million or a billion moments makes no difference. Number has ceased to have meaning with regard to the creature’s purpose. Thus does creature choice plus God’s choice eventuate in the eternal realities of the never-ending union of the spirit of God and the nature of man in the everlasting service of the children of God and of their Paradise Father.

118:1.3 (1295.3) There is a direct relationship between maturity and the unit of time consciousness in any given intellect. The time unit may be a day, a year, or a longer period, but inevitably it is the criterion by which the conscious self evaluates the circumstances of life, and by which the conceiving intellect measures and evaluates the facts of temporal existence.

118:1.4 (1295.4) Experience, wisdom, and judgment are the concomitants of the lengthening of the time unit in mortal experience. As the human mind reckons backward into the past, it is evaluating past experience for the purpose of bringing it to bear on a present situation. As mind reaches out into the future, it is attempting to evaluate the future significance of possible action. And having thus reckoned with both experience and wisdom, the human will exercises judgment-decision in the present, and the plan of action thus born of the past and the future becomes existent.

118:1.5 (1295.5) In the maturity of the developing self, the past and future are brought together to illuminate the true meaning of the present. As the self matures, it reaches further and further back into the past for experience, while its wisdom forecasts seek to penetrate deeper and deeper into the unknown future. And as the conceiving self extends this reach ever further into both past and future, so does judgment become less and less dependent on the momentary present. In this way does decision-action begin to escape from the fetters of the moving present, while it begins to take on the aspects of past-future significance.

118:1.6 (1295.6) Patience is exercised by those mortals whose time units are short; true maturity transcends patience by a forbearance born of real understanding.

118:1.7 (1295.7) To become mature is to live more intensely in the present, at the same time escaping from the limitations of the present. The plans of maturity, founded on past experience, are coming into being in the present in such manner as to enhance the values of the future.

118:1.8 (1295.8) The time unit of immaturity concentrates meaning-value into the present moment in such a way as to divorce the present of its true relationship to the not-present—the past-future. The time unit of maturity is proportioned so to reveal the co-ordinate relationship of past-present-future that the self begins to gain insight into the wholeness of events, begins to view the landscape of time from the panoramic perspective of broadened horizons, begins perhaps to suspect the nonbeginning, nonending eternal continuum, the fragments of which are called time.

The above UB passages are among the most incredible in the entire book. The soul-potential that can be actualized is awesome, but not always easy. We have one foot in the cosmic soup, eager to evolve, to grow and become one with God. But our other foot is in the world of biology, hormones, anxieties and some degree of unawareness of both superconciousness and sub consciousness. To align our individual purpose with divine will takes self-knowledge and insight. I myself would never be able to try and live the Urantia Book's teachings without a daily meditation practice. Meditation without service is unprofitable, but service without meditation won't produce much growth. We have to become at one with our deepest inner experience, to have the courage to face our own traumas and suffering with as much courage and honesty as we can muster. The UB says we must strive to become patient, fair, kind and just. And we do this by increasingly depending upon sincerity, sincerity and more sincerity. I know in my own experience that it is all too easy to delude myself; and I know other UB readers that are lost in their own fantasies about being special, more enlightened, more evolved than they are, merely because they read the UB. I think they are wrong, I think one of the first thing people must do is recognize how ordinary we all are. Frankly, we're all beginners. This is our native world, and when we become forgetful and lose humility, we retard progress. We humans are the lowest form of spiritual life in the universe. If we allow ego, pride and a false sense of self-love to tempt us into trying to short-circuit our evolution, we suffer. Everything must happen in the right order, step-by-step, one step at a time. I really hope that more UB readers begin a daily meditation practice. We can be teachers of the UB without ever even mentioning the book to others if we live the teachings rather than talk the talk. It can start as simply 5 or 10 minutes of sitting quiet, watching the breath, doing a body-scan and noticing where there is tension. My own meditations are a blend of many things--prayer, worship, watching the breath, experiencing emptiness and simply observing the many emotions and feelings that arise but not get carried away into identifying with these inner currents. Meditation has many psychological, physiological, spiritual, intellectual and emotional benefits. Once you've tasted the bliss of meditating (the peace that transcends understanding) you'll never want to stop. But it can be misused and misapplied. If one is generally in good mental and physical health, meditation is a powerful tool for speeding up one's spiritual and psychological development. I've been meditating for the past 48 years, usually 45-90 minutes daily. If anyone has any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask me!

Love,
Jerry

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

xobeht wrote:
Makalu wrote: Thank you for your input btw!!

uhm but you didn't post what the papers say the challenge confronting modern (1930's) christianity is...it's not the list of those faced during the roman empire that you posted nor your questionable sortings. papers say it's this:

195:4.5 (2075.3) Religion is now confronted by the challenge of a new age of scientific minds and materialistic tendencies. In this gigantic struggle between the secular and the spiritual, the religion of Jesus will eventually triumph.

and the bit elsewhere about most modern christians being unwitting secular humanists is paramount too imo. sorry, but i don't think either extreme of christian church out there is immune to becoming just another social institution...but i know which extreme shows weak signs of the Masters Life in the cocoon, and its highly unlikely to be the evangelical right lol.

dont forget the papers say that when a church becomes involved in politics it ceases to be a church

Hmmm, I supposed I should have included that quote, thanks.
With my questionable sortings I was making a different point tho.

Okay, I suppose one cannot argue that the evangelical right will stick to their guns and stay entrenched in the dogma. I was mostly referring to a movement I see (on YouTube and elsewhere) where Christians are evolving their belief systems, some ministers are actually giving up on the atonement doctrine! Churches are coming to grips with the fact that they are loosing the youth. Young college educated adults are not flocking to church in great numbers and there seems to be a few young people on the internet posting videos that question whether we "got Jesus right" or not etc. This modern world with all its faults is questioning everything. We are taking a hard look at all aspects of life; economies, policies, discoveries, religions, cultures, social change and such.
And I think this phenomenon is gearing Christianity up for some real change for the better.

I do agree that modern church is a business in some respects more so than a movement or a religion and that will take some time to change, we will have to evolve out of that one.
I attempt to learn from listening to different sides of a viewpoint and I suppose some of my posts might seem confusing and contradictory, oh well. I don't think either that I am all that gifted when it comes to the art of articulation.

Paul

well, the way i read it, you said you posted the roman era stuff because you interpret it as supporting your view that the republican/religious right is preserving christianity against a great threat today and into the future. now you say you were trying to make a different point but dont bother to tell us what it was.

btw, the tendency of the church to foster business administrators rather than ministers is only a small part of its secular humanism. for instance, if you think any president was ever "sent by god" like some, that's secular humanism in thin disguise.

PostPosted:  

Makalu wrote:

well, the way i read it, you said you posted the roman era stuff because you interpret it as supporting your view that the republican/religious right is preserving christianity against a great threat today and into the future. now you say you were trying to make a different point but dont bother to tell us what it was.

btw, the tendency of the church to foster business administrators rather than ministers is only a small part of its secular humanism. for instance, if you think any president was ever "sent by god" like some, that's secular humanism in thin disguise.

the quotes I posted:
195:4.4 (2075.2) Christianity exhibits a history of having originated out of the unintended transformation of the religion of Jesus into a religion about Jesus. It further presents the history of having experienced Hellenization, paganization, secularization, institutionalization, intellectual deterioration, spiritual decadence, moral hibernation, threatened extinction, later rejuvenation, fragmentation, and more recent relative rehabilitation. Such a pedigree is indicative of inherent vitality and the possession of vast recuperative resources. And this same Christianity is now present in the civilized world of Occidental peoples and stands face to face with a struggle for existence which is even more ominous than those eventful crises which have characterized its past battles for dominance.

195:3.9 (2074.4) Even a good religion could not save a great empire from the sure results of lack of individual participation in the affairs of government, from overmuch paternalism, overtaxation and gross collection abuses, unbalanced trade with the Levant which drained away the gold, amusement madness, Roman standardization, the degradation of woman, slavery and race decadence, physical plagues, and a state church which became institutionalized nearly to the point of spiritual barrenness.

Yes, the way you read it was my intent.
The second sentence below is the other point. However, both quotes in their entirety make many points or assert various aspects of Jesus' mission that allow it to survive amid our turbulent world, such as these unfortunate malformations of the original message--Hellenization, paganization, secularization, institutionalization, intellectual deterioration, spiritual decadence--that we still see carrying on today (And I know that a lot of it being carried forward today is in no small measure due to the attitudes of today's Christians with their tendency to dogmatize scripture). In this respect I was concurring with Jerry about some of his views about the Christian world today while also making points to Agon D. Onter in efforts to answer the bulk of his question using the UB quotes in conjunction with my statements below.

In the last sentence of 195:4.4 the UB states (and I agree) that "Christianity" is facing its greatest struggle for survival today then ever before...which the Religious right/Republican base--whatever label we give it--is preserving!!

In 195:3.9 the Republican base is opposed to the following from this paragraph: overmuch paternalism, overtaxation and gross collection abuses, unbalanced trade, amusement madness, spiritual barrenness. the Democratic base is opposed to the following from this paragraph: standardization, the degradation of woman, slavery and race decadence, a state church.

Regarding this: if you think any president was ever "sent by god" like some, that's secular humanism in thin disguise.

Is is secular humanism or is it Religious fanaticism? I think the two are quite different. Secular Humanism is atheistic in origin while "sent by god" mentality that you refer to here is religious projection of a fanatic nature unsubstantiated by fact.

Paul

PostPosted:  

Jerry wrote in response to Bradley's post:

The above UB passages are among the most incredible in the entire book. The soul-potential that can be actualized is awesome, but not always easy. We have one foot in the cosmic soup, eager to evolve, to grow and become one with God. But our other foot is in the world of biology, hormones, anxieties and some degree of unawareness of both superconciousness and sub consciousness. To align our individual purpose with divine will takes self-knowledge and insight. I myself would never be able to try and live the Urantia Book's teachings without a daily meditation practice. Meditation without service is unprofitable, but service without meditation won't produce much growth. We have to become at one with our deepest inner experience, to have the courage to face our own traumas and suffering with as much courage and honesty as we can muster. The UB says we must strive to become patient, fair, kind and just. And we do this by increasingly depending upon sincerity, sincerity and more sincerity. I know in my own experience that it is all too easy to delude myself; and I know other UB readers that are lost in their own fantasies about being special, more enlightened, more evolved than they are, merely because they read the UB. I think they are wrong, I think one of the first thing people must do is recognize how ordinary we all are. Frankly, we're all beginners. This is our native world, and when we become forgetful and lose humility, we retard progress. We humans are the lowest form of spiritual life in the universe. If we allow ego, pride and a false sense of self-love to tempt us into trying to short-circuit our evolution, we suffer. Everything must happen in the right order, step-by-step, one step at a time. I really hope that more UB readers begin a daily meditation practice. We can be teachers of the UB without ever even mentioning the book to others if we live the teachings rather than talk the talk. It can start as simply 5 or 10 minutes of sitting quiet, watching the breath, doing a body-scan and noticing where there is tension. My own meditations are a blend of many things--prayer, worship, watching the breath, experiencing emptiness and simply observing the many emotions and feelings that arise but not get carried away into identifying with these inner currents. Meditation has many psychological, physiological, spiritual, intellectual and emotional benefits. Once you've tasted the bliss of meditating (the peace that transcends understanding) you'll never want to stop. But it can be misused and misapplied. If one is generally in good mental and physical health, meditation is a powerful tool for speeding up one's spiritual and psychological development. I've been meditating for the past 48 years, usually 45-90 minutes daily. If anyone has any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask me!

Love,
Jerry

Thank you for this paragraph, we do need humility when studying this Revelation, we are all beginners!
Paul

PostPosted:  

And yet the faith of a tadpole releases a great exuberance and joyful confidence which grows the fruits of the Spirit no matter how inexperienced and immature and even foolish we may be!!

Humble...but intrepid and exhilarated and inspired!!! We feast on uncertainty and fatten on disappointment by our faith as God's little children in the eternal playground of this friendly universe! We are to share this LIGHTness of BEING no matter our lack of knowledge or wisdom.

We will become frogs soon enough...let us enjoy this moment in this pond today...as the little tadpoles we are!

Or so I advise.... 8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu May 28, 2020 1:50 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

xobeht wrote:
Makalu wrote:

the quotes I posted:
195:4.4 (2075.2) Christianity exhibits a history of having originated out of the unintended transformation of the religion of Jesus into a religion about Jesus. It further presents the history of having experienced Hellenization, paganization, secularization, institutionalization, intellectual deterioration, spiritual decadence, moral hibernation, threatened extinction, later rejuvenation, fragmentation, and more recent relative rehabilitation. Such a pedigree is indicative of inherent vitality and the possession of vast recuperative resources. And this same Christianity is now present in the civilized world of Occidental peoples and stands face to face with a struggle for existence which is even more ominous than those eventful crises which have characterized its past battles for dominance.

195:3.9 (2074.4) Even a good religion could not save a great empire from the sure results of lack of individual participation in the affairs of government, from overmuch paternalism, overtaxation and gross collection abuses, unbalanced trade with the Levant which drained away the gold, amusement madness, Roman standardization, the degradation of woman, slavery and race decadence, physical plagues, and a state church which became institutionalized nearly to the point of spiritual barrenness.

Yes, the way you read it was my intent.
The second sentence below is the other point. However, both quotes in their entirety make many points or assert various aspects of Jesus' mission that allow it to survive amid our turbulent world, such as these unfortunate malformations of the original message--Hellenization, paganization, secularization, institutionalization, intellectual deterioration, spiritual decadence--that we still see carrying on today (And I know that a lot of it being carried forward today is in no small measure due to the attitudes of today's Christians with their tendency to dogmatize scripture). In this respect I was concurring with Jerry about some of his views about the Christian world today while also making points to Agon D. Onter in efforts to answer the bulk of his question using the UB quotes in conjunction with my statements below.

In the last sentence of 195:4.4 the UB states (and I agree) that "Christianity" is facing its greatest struggle for survival today then ever before...which the Religious right/Republican base--whatever label we give it--is preserving!!

In 195:3.9 the Republican base is opposed to the following from this paragraph: overmuch paternalism, overtaxation and gross collection abuses, unbalanced trade, amusement madness, spiritual barrenness. the Democratic base is opposed to the following from this paragraph: standardization, the degradation of woman, slavery and race decadence, a state church.

Regarding this: if you think any president was ever "sent by god" like some, that's secular humanism in thin disguise.

Is is secular humanism or is it Religious fanaticism? I think the two are quite different. Secular Humanism is atheistic in origin while "sent by god" mentality that you refer to here is religious projection of a fanatic nature unsubstantiated by fact.

Paul

eh well the roots of secular humanism are divine and it merely denies it and claims to be free of theism. anyway, the "sent by god" mentality is unwitting secular humanism and i dont think it's necessarily characterized and associated with fanatism...it can be just simple ignorance of reality.

Last edited by Makalu on Thu May 28, 2020 7:17 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

jsg wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
Thanks Maryjo!!

I think it best to consider our political and social circumstances and realities by attempting a longer time unit perspective and greater objectivity within the context of evolutionary progress!

Impatience and disappointments and frustrations indicate a certain immaturity in perspective we are taught. There is great progress to be considered in the 20th and 21st centuries. In some ways the inhumanity and indifference of capitalism is being exposed and the suffering it creates and those who perpetuate that suffering are being revealed in ways that will deliver objection, activism, and change.

Indeed, as a child of the 60's (white, male, boomer, privileged - if poor - we called it free, white, male, and 21 back in the 70's so we definitely knew of our own power and privileged status compared to those of color or female), there are many trajectories of progress I have witnessed and am encouraged about!! Doom and gloomers are neither correct or helpful in the efforts to bring Light and Life to our world. Disappointment does not help. Nor does anxiety or fear. We need courage and hope and the light of truth and the Spirit within to SEE reality beyond the apparent inadequacies and inferiorities of the worst of humanity.

Those who see no progress are merely blind to time...not correct. Our frustration, disappointment, and impatience are a result of mismanaged time unit perspective....immaturity! I speak of myself specifically, and others only generally.

118:1.2 (1295.2) The personality of the mortal creature may eternalize by self-identification with the indwelling spirit through the technique of choosing to do the will of the Father. Such a consecration of will is tantamount to the realization of eternity-reality of purpose. This means that the purpose of the creature has become fixed with regard to the succession of moments; stated otherwise, that the succession of moments will witness no change in creature purpose. A million or a billion moments makes no difference. Number has ceased to have meaning with regard to the creature’s purpose. Thus does creature choice plus God’s choice eventuate in the eternal realities of the never-ending union of the spirit of God and the nature of man in the everlasting service of the children of God and of their Paradise Father.

118:1.3 (1295.3) There is a direct relationship between maturity and the unit of time consciousness in any given intellect. The time unit may be a day, a year, or a longer period, but inevitably it is the criterion by which the conscious self evaluates the circumstances of life, and by which the conceiving intellect measures and evaluates the facts of temporal existence.

118:1.4 (1295.4) Experience, wisdom, and judgment are the concomitants of the lengthening of the time unit in mortal experience. As the human mind reckons backward into the past, it is evaluating past experience for the purpose of bringing it to bear on a present situation. As mind reaches out into the future, it is attempting to evaluate the future significance of possible action. And having thus reckoned with both experience and wisdom, the human will exercises judgment-decision in the present, and the plan of action thus born of the past and the future becomes existent.

118:1.5 (1295.5) In the maturity of the developing self, the past and future are brought together to illuminate the true meaning of the present. As the self matures, it reaches further and further back into the past for experience, while its wisdom forecasts seek to penetrate deeper and deeper into the unknown future. And as the conceiving self extends this reach ever further into both past and future, so does judgment become less and less dependent on the momentary present. In this way does decision-action begin to escape from the fetters of the moving present, while it begins to take on the aspects of past-future significance.

118:1.6 (1295.6) Patience is exercised by those mortals whose time units are short; true maturity transcends patience by a forbearance born of real understanding.

118:1.7 (1295.7) To become mature is to live more intensely in the present, at the same time escaping from the limitations of the present. The plans of maturity, founded on past experience, are coming into being in the present in such manner as to enhance the values of the future.

118:1.8 (1295.8) The time unit of immaturity concentrates meaning-value into the present moment in such a way as to divorce the present of its true relationship to the not-present—the past-future. The time unit of maturity is proportioned so to reveal the co-ordinate relationship of past-present-future that the self begins to gain insight into the wholeness of events, begins to view the landscape of time from the panoramic perspective of broadened horizons, begins perhaps to suspect the nonbeginning, nonending eternal continuum, the fragments of which are called time.

Love,
Jerry

A little Zen

You should sit in meditation 20 minutes a day, unless you're too busy....then you should sit for an hour.

:idea:

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
jsg wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
Thanks Maryjo!!

Love,
Jerry

A little Zen

You should sit in meditation 20 minutes a day, unless you're too busy....then you should sit for an hour.

:idea:

Good one! :D

The above UB quotes about time are particularly pertinent when it comes to meditation, I find that meditation definitely improves greatly my relationship to time. I not only feel hurried far less, but also I feel much more connected to my own past; I understand when I am projecting my own emotional energy onto others and I understand better when I am transferring feelings about someone in my past to somebody in my present (projection and transference, common psychological terms). As I see the way these mechanisms work, the more clearly I perceive others and myself.

PostPosted:  

I have been watching this video of which I think there are three parts and I find it very enlightening to help us understand each other with regard to the positions we take socially, spiritually, politically, etc.

I am humbled by the clarity of this presentation and I hope you take time to check it out as it reminds me of the Masters genius of the human condition and why he did not get involved in differences of opinion among the Apostles and or Disciples.

The War on Sensemaking, Daniel Schmachtenberger
https://youtu.be/7LqaotiGWjQ

Enjoy,
Paul

PostPosted:  

xobeht wrote:
I have been watching this video of which I think there are three parts and I find it very enlightening to help us understand each other with regard to the positions we take socially, spiritually, politically, etc.

I am humbled by the clarity of this presentation and I hope you take time to check it out as it reminds me of the Masters genius of the human condition and why he did not get involved in differences of opinion among the Apostles and or Disciples.

The War on Sensemaking, Daniel Schmachtenberger
https://youtu.be/7LqaotiGWjQ

Enjoy,
Paul

I watched a good part of him. I like what he said about the difference between the truth and truthfulness. There are schizophrenics walking around talking to themselves believing that the CIA is following them. Are they being truthful? Yes, because they believe what they are saying. But is it the truth? No, it is not. This is true for all of us who don't have schizophrenia, we think we are speaking truth when we are only being truthful about we think, believe or feel. But the chances of us not knowing truth are pretty high, we all lack complete information, freedom from bias, freedom from pain and suffering, which, consciously or not, affects our capacity to know truth. And even if we know what is true, how do we live it? Act on it? That's not easy. I know a UB reader who is convinced the holocaust is a made-up Jewish conspiracy in order to control the world. He is being truthful, this is what he believes. But in order to believe that, he has to deny mountains of evidence, memoirs, photographs, eyewitness reports, Nazi records and even very-late-in-life documented confessions from Nazi guards who were actually at the camps when the gassing took place. So there is no truth in what he believes, and yet he is being truthful in regards to his own congruence between what he believes and what he says.

I suppose the cure is humility, to recognize one can always be wrong about something. Nobody likes feeling like he doesn't know much, but admitting ignorance is far better than spreading lies and misinformation. Other than one's spiritual insight and intuition and faith in God's love, most everything else is subject to evidence, doubt, appraisal, reason and questioning. Yes?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7