Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:43 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Dated Oct. 16, 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/17/us/mo ... .html?_r=0

Excerpt:

Ms. Thurston, for example, applied to Harvard Divinity School specifically because of what she knew about Mr. Epstein’s work. She does not consider herself secular; rather, she follows the precepts of the Urantia Book, a 2,000-page work of philosophy and spirituality that has some elements of Christianity. She also critiques terms like “nones” and “unaffiliated,” and the phrase “spiritual but not religious.”

“It’s difficult to foster community based on negation, on saying what you aren’t,” she said. “To live in this soup of negation, it’s just not lasting.”

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

195:8.3 At the time of this revelation, the prevailing intellectual and philosophical climate of both European and American life is decidedly secular—humanistic. For three hundred years Western thinking has been progressively secularized. Religion has become more and more a nominal influence, largely a ritualistic exercise. The majority of professed Christians of Western civilization are unwittingly actual secularists.

PostPosted:  

Humanism and/or secularism can be a stepping stone to a more mature and fulfilling religious practice. I am hoping that the exposure of the Urantia Book in a widely read and respected newspaper like NYT may bring new readers.

(Hey, at least this newspaper didn't call Urantia a "UFO Cult", which I have seen occasionally in the media! :razz: )

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Humanism and/or secularism can be a stepping stone to a more mature and fulfilling religious practice. I am hoping that the exposure of the Urantia Book in a widely read and respected newspaper like NYT may bring new readers.

(Hey, at least this newspaper didn't call Urantia a "UFO Cult", which I have seen occasionally in the media! :razz: )

I disagree. Humanism and or secularism is a dead end. I believe that your hopes will be dashed with the NYT. It is neither respected nor widely read by anyone that may be open to TUB. When it goes completely online, it will soon die due to the fact that it can no longer be used to line birdcages.

PostPosted:  

Now you're just being curmudgeonly.

I choose to see this as a positive thing that may bring more of the Urantia Book material to seekers who will come to understand its truths. Even if it brings only one new reader, that's exciting! Plenty of people read NYT, both online and in paper form. The newspapers haven't died out yet.

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Now you're just being curmudgeonly.

I choose to see this as a positive thing that may bring more of the Urantia Book material to seekers who will come to understand its truths. Even if it brings only one new reader, that's exciting! Plenty of people read NYT, both online and in paper form. The newspapers haven't died out yet.

But you have me pegged just right, Agon. I am a curmudgeon. But with age comes some wisdom and the realization that the hypocrites run the show. I have no use for newspapers or other vehicles for propaganda.

Please don't think for minute that the NYT will bring anything good to anyone. The Urantia Book finds its readers somehow. O:)

PostPosted:  

I don't think you ARE a curmudgeon; only that your behavior on this thread is of that nature at the moment. I sometimes post curmudgeonly things, too; and you're right, with age, comes wisdom. (I wonder which of us is older?)

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
I don't think you ARE a curmudgeon; only that your behavior on this thread is of that nature at the moment. I sometimes post curmudgeonly things, too; and you're right, with age, comes wisdom. (I wonder which of us is older?)

1959 was a good year for me. I was so innocent and so cute. Not so innocent and not so cute in 2015. :(

PostPosted:  

Thanks for posting Agon, I enjoy seeing these kinds of things in modern articles. :biggrin: