Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:52 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Sadler-The-Ura ... roduct_top

http://www.legacyhistory.com/

This is a new book that focuses on the origin of the Urantia Book and the role that William S. Sadler played in it.

Quote:
When I was seventeen years old, I came across The Urantia Book for the first time. A massive text, it offered a series of papers written in an authoritative style that spoke to my spiritual desire—a longing for connection. For my birthday, my parents bought me a copy. I then became a reader. The teachings from this book became the framework for my religious views. The book describes in marvelous detail the unique and wonderful personalities that call our universe home as well as the physical aspects of the universe itself—a place created to assist us in evolving spiritually through an endless adventure of growth until we attain eternal life. The book introduced Jesus as a celestial being who did not die for our sins but rather came to Earth to teach us how to have a loving relationship with God as well as with each other. It taught that our universe is inhabited by a myriad of celestial beings that work to bring God to us and through some unique spiritual partnering, help us to attain eternal life. The Urantia Book presented an overwhelmingly positive philosophy that carried me through my life even through long periods when I wasn’t actively studying the text. It answered countless questions about my spiritual growth. It gave me reason to feel secure in my life knowing the universe was here to support me as an enduring spirit. Without question, it was the most important book in my library.

I decided to research the origins of The Urantia Book when a friend (also a reader of the book), asked me to research its origin. My friend wanted something that he could hand to his friends and family with a “straight face.” There were recent challenges to the veracity of the origin of the book, and readers had a difficult time explaining it to others. I was a good candidate. I am very familiar with the book, have a doctorate in American history, and have professional experience using research methodology.

One of the greatest challenges to writing this book was that no direct records remain: the author, William Sadler, had all of his papers burned after his death and no copies of or notes on the original Urantia papers exist. Documents from archival research were therefore used to reconstruct and tell the story. Until now no histories have been written about William or Lena Sadler, although some have written about The Urantia Book. Some were authored by believers who sought to support the oral history about the book’s origin. Other writers sought to shed doubt on its claims of epochal significance. But no writing has yet been done were by a research historian utilizing primary source material.[i] Weigh the evidence I present in this biography about William Sadler. Was he connected with the cosmic mind circuit while writing The Urantia Book or was he a genius? Or are the two connected as one and the same?
http://www.legacyhistory.com/read.html

At least initially, the Urantia Foundation supported Oliva in her writing of the history:

Quote:
History of the Revelation:
Decades ago Emma Christensen, an “adopted” daughter to Dr. Sadler, began a history of The Urantia Book which has not been completed. Urantia Foundation is working with historian, Dr Sioux Oliva, to facilitate the production of a history of The Urantia Book from the early 1900s to the time of its publication in 1955. Other members of the Education Committee are contributing to this history project.
http://www.urantia.org/news/2011-09/not ... es-meeting

This is an interview with the author:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cosmicciti ... -citizen-1

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Sioux Oliva's testimony of her belief in the Urantia Book can be seen at the 1:49 mark of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eivISI2gs5E

PostPosted:  

I've honestly found it hard to believe that the papers materialized out of nothing. I look forward to reading this book as a possible historical explanation of how they originated. If Sadler served as a scribe for the celestials, taking down what they had revealed to him, it would be no harder to believe than Joseph Smith claiming to translate the Book of Mormon from golden plates or Moses taking the Ten Commandments from Jehovah on Mount Sinai. What ultimately matters is whether the Urantia Book as a finished product resonates with you as a source of truth.

PostPosted:  

I disagree. Knowing that TUB is written by celestial beings matters. Also that site is filled with speculation there is no proof that Sadler wrote anything. The "parallel" studies that Mathew Block did involve books that Sadler wrote after having the revelation. So those don't count as evidence. Mathew contends that books written in the late 1930's and early 1940's by Sadler are "source" material, but he doesn't realize that TUB was finished in 1934. So of course Sadler is going to borrow concepts from the revelation. This is what has confused so many people, nobody does their homework.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

boomshuka wrote:
Knowing that TUB is written by celestial beings matters.

What Sioux Oliva is doing as a historian is providing a historical explanation for how the Urantia Book was revealed by celestial beings and how they used the person of William S. Sadler as the contact personality to reveal it.

As I've shown already, Sioux Oliva's testimony of her belief in the Urantia Book can be seen at the 1:49 mark of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eivISI2gs5E

As I've shown already, this is an interview with the author:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cosmicciti ... -citizen-1

As I've shown already, Oliva was given the cooperation and access to records from the Urantia Foundation:
Quote:
Decades ago Emma Christensen, an “adopted” daughter to Dr. Sadler, began a history of The Urantia Book which has not been completed. Urantia Foundation is working with historian, Dr Sioux Oliva, to facilitate the production of a history of The Urantia Book from the early 1900s to the time of its publication in 1955. Other members of the Education Committee are contributing to this history project.
http://www.urantia.org/news/2011-09/not ... es-meeting

Now that you're aware of these things, with what specifically about her history of the Urantia papers do you disagree as a matter of history?

Ernest Moyer already made the case over ten years ago that Sadler was the contact personality in his book:
Quote:
Ernest's contention is, that while W.S. is not the sleeping subject, he is the real person we should be calling the primary "contact personality." The sleeping subject, was merely a means of engaging W.S. in the revelatory process without producing too-overt (perhaps more easily traceable), a conversion point from the celestial to the material. W.S. was the real engine behind the process of give-and-take with the revelators which culminated with the appearance of the papers in 1934 and 1935.
http://sonic.net/~quine/rapaport_moyers_review.html

What Oliva's book does, essentially, is provide a historical explanation, based on the available evidence, for how the celestials used Sadler as the contact personality. Have you read the book first in order to comment on its historical veracity?

Sioux Oliva has been a Urantia Book reader since the age of 17 and has been involved in the Urantia movement for years. She didn't come into writing the book with an agenda or an axe to grind other than uncovering facts and insights that may not have been widely known before. An honest historian is supposed to go where the evidence leads them, regardless of what the anonymous posters on an internet forum might think.

Have you done your homework regarding Oliva's credentials as both a historian and lifelong Urantia Book reader? Have you done your homework regarding the process used in writing the book?

PostPosted:  

The Urantia Book repeatedly warns against miracle-mindedness, saying it was a hindrance of his Jewish audience to understanding his message. Jesus' resurrection from the dead was not technically a miracle, as in a volition of the laws of physics, since it was Jesus appearing in a form truer to his real self than the body of flesh and bones he left behind.

There's no reason why honest and sincere readers of the Urantia Book shouldn't attempt to explain the origin of the Urantia Papers using normal historical methods. Assuming without evidence that the Urantia Papers spontaneously appeared out of nothing would not be a historical explanation, and I congratulate Oliva as a historian and Urantia Book reader for making an honest and sincere attempt to provide a history of the Urantia papers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_method

This is Oliva's personal account of how she found the Urantia Book and how it changed her life:
Quote:
How I Found the Urantia Book—SIOUX HARVEY OLIVA (1974)

EVER SINCE I was a child I can recall a feeling that is difficult to put into words, but can be described as a need to feel closer to God. Many of my school friends had the same feeling. We attended different church services in our home town of San Diego but had never joined a particular congregation.

In high school in 1974, in eleventh-grade English class, we were each asked to interview a classmate, then give an oral presentation about that person. When my interviewer, a male classmate, asked me what my life goals were, I said, “To grow spiritually as much as possible.” I was the only person in my class to say this, and it was the first time I had ever expressed this need out loud in front of anyone.

Two weeks later, I was attending an auction together with my mom and a friend. The auction featured American Indian rugs and jewelry, and my mom purchased a rug. Afterwards, a man approached us and asked my mom if he could buy the rug from her. This man, whose name was John, and I got to talking and we exchanged phone numbers.

Although my mom kept the rug, John and I became friends. He traveled frequently and I would house-sit for him. He lived in a fantastic, modern house perched on a hill, a true James Bond-type bachelor pad—at least that is how my high-school friends and I saw it. I loved it when John went out of town, when my girlfriends and I would stay in his beautiful home on the weekends and feel like adults.

The very first time I entered his house I walked in and saw two things on his coffee table: a note that said “Mi casa es su casa,” and the Urantia Book. I still remember picking up the book (it had no dust jacket) and wondering what the heck it was. I opened it, read the first paragraph, and got goosebumps. I knew I had found what I had been searching for.

Though John was a Urantia Book reader, he did not attend a study group. We discussed the book but read independently of one another. I asked for my own copy for my next birthday and my parents bought me one. I read off and on for the next twenty years. In 1990 I devoted myself anew to the revelation and began to attend a study group. My life has forever been enriched and blessed by these amazing teachings.
http://www.squarecircles.com/UrantiaMov ... harvey.htm

The most interesting thing about this book from a historical perspective is what other historians are already saying about it:

Quote:
“Good writing, the right tone, filled with information and analysis, sympathetic yet objective. From what you sent I was not entirely sure where you stand on Urantia. I sense that you certainly respect the achievement and are inclined to believe that some kind of inspiration is behind it. I think that is a good position from which to write. You will not be compelled to explain it away; on the other hand you can understand the skepticism about its origins.” ~Dr. Richard Bushman, Gouverneur Morris Professor Emeritus of History at Columbia University

"Your book arrived yesterday. I’m doing all kinds of moving-related stuff so I didn’t get a chance to look at it. So last night, when I went to bed, I thought "I’ll read the first chapter before I go to sleep." So I did….but then, I couldn’t stop. It was 2 a.m. when I finished.

Sioux, it’s great. There’s so much that I love about it. I love the way you put everything in historical context. You did it so well, and you did it very efficiently. You got a helluva lot across in a very few words. I’m reading and I thought, hey, how does she know all this stuff? Then I remembered: Ph.D., American History. Your depth of knowledge informs the whole book. I remember your telling me about your research, talking about, for example, the eugenics. You did a great job of putting that in context. Your idea to list people and organizations who believed in it was brilliant. You took what seems to us an insane nutball idea, and made us understand how it was such a part of the culture at the time, and convinced us to accept that. Without arguing with us or beating us over the head.

You lay everything out so straightforwardly and simply. I’d even say dispassionately, but the fact that you are passionate about the subject is apparent. I think what I mean is that the tone is so even and measured.

The way you structured it is great. How you took us through both of the Sadlers’ lives and works and careers before you got to explaining the Urantia book. It made them extremely credible people, so when you arrive at the Urantia Book, you’ve gotten us onboard with them, so we’re more willing to accept the fantastic (and I mean “fantastic” not as in “fabulous,” but as in “that which lies way beyond the realm of reality.”)

You also made the decision to do the Urantia section in a very straightforward manner. I mean, you didn’t set it up (hey, folks, what’s coming next is really wacky!), which would have been easy to do. Instead, you simply laid it out. I don’t mean to minimize that. What I’m trying to do is praise your economy of language and your ability to express the cosmic in a simple, explicit manner.

Your sourcing and documentation is meticulous. I know (from what you’ve told me, and, what is in the book) the enormous amount of research you did. You could have made the mistake of “research-dumping” — including everything that you found. You didn’t. You chose what was important to the narrative, and the breadth and depth of the research informs that narrative.

You also artfully slipped things in that I would have thought would have seemed like a glaring interruption of the narrative…but wasn’t. Like the Anthony Grafton info re footnotes. I don’t know how you did that. Seems like it shouldn’t work…but it did.

The book is like a French sauce reduction. I mean that you took gallons and gallons of beef juice and boiled it down to an exquisite, extremely rich broth. (Weird metaphor, but you know what I mean.) I wondered/am wondering whether the book was way longer, and you just kept editing it down and editing it down, compressing and tightening until you got exactly what you needed to tell the story in the most economic and efficient way.

Sioux, I am so happy for you and so proud of you. And (it nearly goes without saying) wildly impressed. It’s a gem."
~Susan Roy, Historian
http://www.legacyhistory.com/testimonials.html

PostPosted:  

I really appreciate that the book included the account of Sadler's deathbed. In his dying moments, if he stood by the reality of the mansion worlds that was revealed to him, then he was either a liar, mentally insane, or telling the truth of what he believed based on his personal experience.

It's the same kind of dilemma presented to us by Jesus, that he was either the Lord, a liar or a lunatic, because he'd have to be one of these three to carry to his death his proclamation of who he claimed to be. And the apostles had to be either evil or insane if they had willingly died for something they knew to be false.

Including this account of Sadler's deathbed then compels us to look back at his life to see whether he had the moral integrity and sound mind to be trusted on where he claimed to be going after his death. It's up to the individual to decide whether or not Sadler's deathbed proclamation was sincere or not.

I think that the entirety of whether or not we can believe the Urantia Book as a revelation relates to whether or not Sadler sincerely believed it at his death.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Yoder, still you're heading off down irrelevant sidetracks. Leave the "we" out of your comment "whether or not we can believe the Urantia Book as a revelation relates to whether or not Sadler sincerely believed it at his death." That's apparently your burden to bear, your hurdle to overcome and is of little interest to many other readers.

What do we care what Sadler or Houdini or anyone else believed? Some readers accepted that the UB was revelation before they'd ever heard of Sadler or had any thoughts about the book's derivation. Maybe it's important to you what other people believe, but I think that's a foolish way to determine your own beliefs and to develop your own faith. Some people who knew Jesus rejected his message because they didn't believe anyone from Nazareth could bring new truth to the world -- you're willing to reject new truth for a similar reason.

Sadler was an old man when he died. You'd do better to study him when he was at his prime, before Lena died. That's the relevant time in his life.

Larry

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Dr. Sadler and the Urantia Book by Sioux Oliva

This self-published book is a fascinating look at the late 19th and early 20th century renaissance in medicine, social awareness, and religious thought, particularly in Chicago, Illinois; as well as an impressive biography of Doctors William and Lena Sadler. The book is in two parts: one on the Sadlers, and the other on the Urantia Book.

The writing is mainly good throughout and seems to be well-documented with ample citations and an extensive bibliography; but it's not without its problems. Given that in the Acknowledgements the author thanks her husband and at least two others (most notably, Saskia Praamsma and Matthew Block) for reading and editing her manuscript, the book has a surprising number of typos and odd errors in sentence structure. The subtitle, "The Historic Origins of a Spiritual Revelation in the 20th Century" is disingenuous as well, as I'll explain below.

Even so, it would have been an enjoyable historical work about the inception of the Urantia Book but for the fact that the author obfuscates the issue with the theory that, contrary to the "legend" (sic) of the origin story, Dr. William Sadler wrote the papers himself by accessing the "cosmic mind", and then lying about it.

It seems the crux of the entire book is to put forward this idea that Dr. Sadler channeled the Urantia Book, even if that requires an "updated" definition of the term (which is handily supplied). This neatly side-steps Dr. Sadler's repeated assertions that the Urantia papers did not come through any sort of channeling or automatic writing. She conjectures that Dr. Sadler denied being the author to keep himself safe in his work, whatever that means.

Also puzzling is that Ms. Oliva refers to the Urantia Book as a "sacred text" even though no Urantian churches or religion exists; and to my understanding, fetishizing the text is actually contrary to what the book itself teaches. She terms the Urantia Book a "masterpiece" from a brilliant genius (Sadler) - a beautiful and unique narrative, with overtones of racism and bad science(!). Another stumbling block for her appears to be that the Revelatory Commission (celestial authors) only utilized source works "written in English between 1880 and the 1940's", because as she puts it, celestials are more likely to source books "from around the globe"(?).

I can't quite figure out if Ms. Oliva (who says the Urantia Book was the "most important book" in her library) considers the papers the Fifth Epochal Revelation or not. But even so the subtitle of her book is inaccurate, or misleading; more accurate would be: "Was Dr. Sadler Really the Sleeping Subject?" because that is what the book is really about. From the title itself to the subtext throughout, the reason for the book appears to be to conflate Dr. Sadler and the Urantia Book. It is not simply "the historic origins" as the current subtitle states.

Near the end, Ms. Oliva gently reminds us that truth seekers must be willing to have their fondest beliefs crushed. Truth seekers have probably already discovered this for themselves if they are serious students of the Urantia Book.

Truth seekers may also wonder about Ms. Oliva’s book. Does it simply represent the latest volley from the disinformation camp? Is it just a more "loving" treatment of the Revelation that at the same time subtly undermines it? It's easy to think so. As a writer/historian/researcher, Ms. Oliva's past clients are connected to the high-profile world of politics and the arts: Marilyn Monroe's estate, Norman Lear, Ethel Kennedy, Ben Bradlee’s wife, and Lee Strasbourg's widow. Yet this recent work has some glaring errors in the form of what seems to be missing words or partial sentences, as if hurriedly cut-and-pasted. Could it be that this history written by a Urantia Book reader represents the newest attempt at disruption from inside the movement? Those familiar with the Urantia movement have seen a variety of insidious, distracting events over the years, from leftover "celestial messages", changes to the original text, copyright infringement lawsuits, charismatic cult leaders following voices in their head, and more. Tracking notable events and the people connected with them can be helpful in understanding them in context, something historians surely realize. In this case though, all we can do is hope this work was undertaken with only the best intentions and no hidden agenda, since Ms. Oliva has declined my inquiry, posted in a Facebook group, to name the person she mentioned in the Preface who initially requested her to take on this writing project.

For those interested in the Sadlers’ early life, this is a great read. It’s even possible that serious Urantia Book readers will glean new insights or understanding from Ms. Oliva's recap of concepts or events. But for clearer information on the history of the Urantia papers, the Forum, the Contact Commission, the Seventy et al, I would recommend Larry Mullins “History of the Urantia Papers”

Posted with permission
Book review by Anthea Poole

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Sadler was an old man when he died. You'd do better to study him when he was at his prime, before Lena died. That's the relevant time in his life.

My basic point was that if he didn't believe the Urantia papers were genuine, then he was a fraud and a huckster, and it would cast down on the Urantia Book itself as a revelation since he was its main promoter.

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Near the end, Ms. Oliva gently reminds us that truth seekers must be willing to have their fondest beliefs crushed.

I am not sure if that's the point of Oliva's book, though I understand why some Urantia Book readers may come to that conclusion. If Sadler were the main contact personality for the celestials in producing the Urantia Book, how would that in any way diminish the Urantia Book's revelatory value as a finished product?

Others in the past have stated that the sleeping subject, at best, was the harbinger for the revelation, rather than a channel for the revelation itself. If the sleeping subject and the contact personality were two different persons, what better candidate is there for being the contact personalty, based on the available evidence, than Sadler?

PostPosted:  

Thanks Larry for that insightful and well considered review.

It sounds as though Gardner's book (which I've read some portion of) is in some ways more honest and probing. Maybe not intellectually honest but otherwise honest in the clarity and straightforwardness of stating what Gardner sought and believed.

Kerry Livgren's book too is intriguing though ultimately baffling. He never quite states in deep terms why he allowed a fundamentalist to drag him into a strange mental landscape of mistrust. I just found a more detailed interview with him about that:

Kerry Livgren - Seeds Of Change
http://www.todayschristianmusic.com/art ... of-change/

I guess it's the fate of some of us to only observe and marvel at those who never really "get" the essentials - never really connect the dots to reveal the meaningful picture that is otherwise hidden :|

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
I guess it's the fate of some of us to only observe and marvel at those who never really "get" the essentials - never really connect the dots to reveal the meaningful picture that is otherwise hidden :|

One reason why I like Oliva's book is how well it connects the dots, using the often scant historical evidence we have for the Urantia Book's origins. Others may read her book and get stuck on a word or two, missing the overall picture of what she attempted to convey as a historian and longtime Urantia Book reader. I think that, especially over the internet, people get into arguments over semantics even when they substantively believe the same things.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Dear Friends,

On this ongoing topic of Sioux Oliva's new book, Dr. Sadler and The Urantia Book: the Historical Origins of a Spiritual Revelation in the 20th Century, I'd like to announce that we have invited her to join us as a guest speaker on Cosmic Citizen this weekend (Saturday, Jan. 3rd - 10-12 Mountain Time) if you would like to listen to what she has to say about her work, and or call in with comments, questions or feedback, you are invited to tune in.

IF any of you dear folks discussing this topic here, or keeping tabs on the discussion on the internet forums, preferably those who have actually READ her new book, please feel free to join in an on the air for a LIVE discussion with Sioux this weekend (and probably next weekend as well) on Cosmic Citizen's BlogTalkRadio. Please keep in mind that we normally don't take callers in the first half hour (ish) since we want to give our guest the opportunity to be properly introduced, and give her the chance to outline her thesis before we take questions from listeners.

Our website is www.blogtalkradio.com/cosmiccitizen and our call in number is 646.716.8158. Again the time for the show is from 10-12 Mountain Time on Saturday (this Saturday morning on January 3rd).

Thanks in advance for your consideration and interest in this topic.
Chrystilyn Larson

PostPosted:  

Sorry I missed the part where she provided evidence for all her claims. It sounds like a lot of "someone heard from someone" type stories which are not usually used by "historians".

It sounds like she came to the parts in the book on race and convinced herself that no celestial beings could say such things and noticed that Sadler also had "racist" thoughts and then linked him to the book this way. There is a percentage of people who read this book who can't bring themselves to accept the frank discussion on race by the authors and they usually go down the same route of linking Sadler to the book because had a lot of "racist" comments in his books. The second thing they usually do is notice that Sadler lifted lines from TUB in his later published books after already having the revelation. Block and Oliva both think they unearthed history when they found some TUB comments in books Sadler wrote after already having the revelation.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing