Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 6:45 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Tolkien
PostPosted:  

I was reading some of Tolkiens books that are essentially the prequals to Lord the Rings and the The Hobbit. There are so many connections to Lucifer, Satan and Calagastia. I have not read to much of his books, because I have a short attention span but from what I have read There is a god, and one of his fallen children from heaven is Morgoth, Morgoth loses most of his power on earth and he also loses his faith he also creaves the power of god. His first in command in Sauron and he is a fallen being as well. Ors are essentially fallen beings, and there is a connection between angels and high elves in his books as well. Anyway I just thought it was sort of interesting :). I would recommend his books :).

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Tolkien
PostPosted:  

HI Brother Boom 8)

J.R.R Tolkiens Lord of The Rings Trilogy And The Movie Are One
of My Favorites , I First Read It In High School Way back in In 1973 .

And According to The Author Tolkien an others IT and his other Books Does indeed
Contain many various Religious Symbols an meanings etc .

http://www.studentpulse.com/articles/53 ... f-the-ring

Last edited by coop on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:32 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

http://www.leaderu.com/humanities/wood-classic.html

.......... The unstrained quality of mercy is what, I suggest, makes The Lord of the Rings an enduring Christian classic despite its pagan setting. As a pre-Christian work, it is appropriately characterized by a melancholy sense of ineluctable doom and defeat: the night that comes shall cover everything. Such profound pessimism must not be disregarded. It has its biblical equivalent, after all, in the description of death found in Ecclesiastes 12:5: "Man goeth to his long home."

Yet this gloomy saying is not the ultimate word. Near the end of their wearying quest, Frodo and Sam are alone on the slopes of Mount Doom. All their efforts seem finally to have failed. Even if somehow they succeed in destroying the Ring, there is no likelihood that they will themselves survive, or that anyone will ever hear of their valiant deed. It is amidst such apparent hopelessness that Sam -- the bumbling and unreflective hobbit who has gradually emerged as a figure of great moral and spiritual depth -- beholds a single star shimmering above the dark clouds of Mordor:

The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of that forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.... Now, for a moment, his own fate, and even his master's, ceased to trouble him. He crawled back into the brambles and laid himself by Frodo's side, and putting away all fear he cast himself into a deep and untroubled sleep.

Sam here discerns that light and shadow are not locked in uncertain combat. However much the night may seem to triumph, it is the gleaming star which penetrates and defines the darkness. These hobbits cannot name their source, but they know that Goodness and Truth and Beauty are the first and the last and the only permanent things.

Dr. Ralph Wood, Professor of English at Baylor University, is a Tolkien expert and has studied Christian literary classics and the Inklings (the close group of Oxford literary masters including C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams and Tolkien). He taught for 26 years at Wake Forest University, where he won awards for distinguished teaching. His publications include "Traveling the One Road: The Lord of the Rings as a 'Pre-Christian' Classic," Christian Century 110, 6 (February 24, 1993): 208-11.

PostPosted:  

Musical Tribute to Lord of the Rings - The Battle of Evermore [HD]
Led Zeppelin, Battle Of Evermore,

Watch Video Full Screen and Turn UP The Volume ! :wink:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/7533548/m ... _evermore/

PostPosted:  

Just been rewatching the LOTR trilogy recently. Great movies!

They've been claimed a lot by Christians as having strong Christian metaphors. But I've always felt that this is too much of a stretch. It seems that Tolkien was Christian but I doubt that he intended for the books to be Christian literature. But there are definitely religious themes - strong ones.

kiwi

PostPosted:  

HI Brother kiwi2 8)

Yeah I Agree , Its Fiction ,
And Wasnt Purely or Strictly '' Intended for the books to be Christian literature.''

But Yes , '' there are definitely religious themes - strong ones.''

The New Hobbit Movie , Like The LOTR Is Also Being Filmed
In Your Beautiful Country New Zealand Too .

PostPosted:  

All of the powerfull beings on tolkiens books seem to come from a place similar to the mansion world. There is also a singular god in the books. Sauron and his head guy morgoth are very similar to satan and caligastia. The books do deal with faith in a few places like the silmarillion. I have only read some of this stuff so I am not really a expert I just find it interesting. I remember reading somewhere that tolkien really loved all european mythology and wanted to blend myth with a fairy world.

My favourite part of the books is the friendship between all the characters. I also like the easy reading.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

coop wrote:
The New Hobbit Movie , Like The LOTR Is Also Being Filmed
In Your Beautiful Country New Zealand Too .

:smile: Yep - come visit sometime!

kiwi